Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset? - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset?

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you feel that Satoshi's character has been reset?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue1225 View Post
    No he hasn't. Kanto to Sinnoh was the exact same person with simple maturity and character growth happening over time.
    Was he?Because while Ash seemed more experienced in transition to Hoenn and Sinnoh he wasnt epitome of intelligence and maturity at start of those regions either.In Hoenn at start he tried to catch Treecko without trying to weaken it,did several awful mistakes having to be reminded of type advantage by both Brock and Max.In DP at start he was acting childish and forgettable about some things too and i dont even need to remind how Pikachu ever since end of Johto was always reset at start of every new region when Ash started to use strategy of leaving all older pokemon behind starting out "fresh".

Pikachu terrible performance at start of DP when battling Paul or Roark was clear indicator how he didnt retained power and experience he had in Battle Frontier when battling Brandon.

True in BW Ash was toned down more than it was case in previous regions but i dont think he is back to Kanto persona either being complete exaggeration.Unova Ash is far better at battling than he was in Kanto days and writers showed us in some battles(referring to Elisa and Burgh) and how all of his experience he had before contrary to some belief isnt gone.Personality wise he isnt brash and impulsive in Best Wishes nearly as much as he was in original series either acting more calm and collected to Iris and Trip provocations having more mature approach.

Ash nowdays seem like some weird combination of Johto and Hoenn Ash showing bits of maturity and experience and i suspect highly like i said before how different environment and characters he was put in are main reason behind this.

Ash was part of 5 group combinations since he started traveling with his character interacting differently with all of them with his behavior depending on how much traveling companions are mature.

BW games experiencing revamp along with trying to portray Unova as foreign and far away region also contributed to Ash being put in role of foreigner who hardly knows anything about new region being used as mask to justify toning down.
    So in nutshell while Ash seems more inexperienced than he was in Sinnoh,thats more cause of different cast which produces unfriendly dynamic and portrayal of Unova as isolated region with character lack of knowledge being used as way to emphasize on being foreign than anything else.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

People say that Ash's intelligence hasn't changed from Kanto to Sinnoh, but that's not a good thing - he's still stupid. On a journey across four regions, you'd think that he would learn new things, and become more intelligent in general because of that, which simply does not happen. He's only gotten worse in Unova, which I didn't think was possible.

Ash may not be reset every region, but his skills and thoughts when it comes to battling look like they are. He still makes stupid mistakes, and is terrible when it comes to type advantages and the mechanics of battles. Pikachu, too, is reset - it should be able to beat everything by just looking at it by now, instead of being beaten up by newly hatched Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Rains View Post
    People say that Ash's intelligence hasn't changed from Kanto to Sinnoh, but that's not a good thing - he's still stupid. On a journey across four regions, you'd think that he would learn new things, and become more intelligent in general because of that, which simply does not happen. He's only gotten worse in Unova, which I didn't think was possible.

Ash may not be reset every region, but his skills and thoughts when it comes to battling look like they are. He still makes stupid mistakes, and is terrible when it comes to type advantages and the mechanics of battles. Pikachu, too, is reset - it should be able to beat everything by just looking at it by now, instead of being beaten up by newly hatched Pokémon.
    Agreed. He really needs a new strategy. If using a type disadvantage doesn't work, then you'd think you'd change it! It's like he WANTS to abuse the Pokemon. And yeah, Pikachu really stinks. HOW long has he been with Ash and battling!?

that's elementary

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    BW games experiencing revamp along with trying to portray Unova as foreign and far away region also contributed to Ash being put in role of foreigner who hardly knows anything about new region being used as mask to justify toning down.
    So in nutshell while Ash seems more inexperienced than he was in Sinnoh,thats more cause of different cast which produces unfriendly dynamic and portrayal of Unova as isolated region with character lack of knowledge being used as way to emphasize on being foreign than anything else.
    ...what? If I go to Britain from America, I'm still going to be able to do all that I can do in America. I'll play Chess the same. I'll eat the same. I'll rant about politics and sing the same. I'll even talk English. Just because it's a foreign country doesn't mean that I'm going to change my behaviors. Heck, even if I went to North Korea, I'd still act and think the same (as long as they don't threaten to shoot me)! And really, in Ash's case it's basically been as if he went from Virginia to North Carolina to Hawaii to New York to England. What he does shouldn't change between region. That doesn't make sense.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sith Droideka View Post
    ...what? If I go to Britain from America, I'm still going to be able to do all that I can do in America. I'll play Chess the same. I'll eat the same. I'll rant about politics and sing the same. I'll even talk English. Just because it's a foreign country doesn't mean that I'm going to change my behaviors. Heck, even if I went to North Korea, I'd still act and think the same (as long as they don't threaten to shoot me)! And really, in Ash's case it's basically been as if he went from Virginia to North Carolina to Hawaii to New York to England. What he does shouldn't change between region. That doesn't make sense.
    True,but people often tend to forget how this show is mainly serving as tool to advertize new games with story and characters being submissive to it.
    BW games were unlike previous generations revamped to significant degree which caused anime getting rid of contests,changing back to formula of Ash being only main star,dumping after so long Brock along with references to past and previous generations pokemon being cut to minimum.

Likewise Unova is trying to be portrayed as far and rather isolated region from rest of the world Ash has traveled through with writers mirroring all this changes with anime and Ash character.Portraying him in light of inexperienced trainer who is unfamiliar with several things in it is serving purpose of going better in correlation with new games and their portrayal of Unova as foreign region which has different methods of battling,customs and lack of older pokemon and trainers.
    Hoenn and Sinnoh were foreign too,but they werent so distant and isolated from previous sagas like its case now.

Furthermore like i said before it also depends on traveling companions and environment Ash is put in,in what way he will act.Since both Cilan and Iris were depicted in light of experienced trainers(arguably even more than Ash going by Iris past starting with trainer business long before he even got first pokemon)writers probably toned down Ash to have him blend better within current cast.

This resulted in character becoming more lively to many fans with arrogant and impulsive attitude clashing well with Iris cynicism and overconfident behavior.Mix of admiration and support he seems to have with Cilan is also providing good dynamic in cast.
    In Unova Ash feels fresh,full of life and aspiring but there is no reason why we coudnt have both appealing and experienced character.

There is no excuse why Ash couldnt stay equally mature and experienced during transition period to Unova with writers apparently being either scared or lazy to experiment with new sort of group dynamic trying out new concepts.

But hey what to expect from 30 minute game commercial which is low on continuity,treats past traveling companions and regions with disrespect,often recycles already used storyline,starts up characters stories and plots without finishing job etc?

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

That's nice and all, but isolation does not mean that they're on a different world. Just because Unova isn't near the other regions doesn't mean that Ash will suddenly reset thanks to local customs or something. Unova's not on the Moon. It's just overseas.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Was he?Because while Ash seemed more experienced in transition to Hoenn and Sinnoh he wasnt epitome of intelligence and maturity at start of those regions either.In Hoenn at start he tried to catch Treecko without trying to weaken it,did several awful mistakes having to be reminded of type advantage by both Brock and Max.In DP at start he was acting childish and forgettable about some things too and i dont even need to remind how Pikachu ever since end of Johto was always reset at start of every new region when Ash started to use strategy of leaving all older pokemon behind starting out "fresh".

Pikachu terrible performance at start of DP when battling Paul or Roark was clear indicator how he didnt retained power and experience he had in Battle Frontier when battling Brandon.

True in BW Ash was toned down more than it was case in previous regions but i dont think he is back to Kanto persona either being complete exaggeration.Unova Ash is far better at battling than he was in Kanto days and writers showed us in some battles(referring to Elisa and Burgh) and how all of his experience he had before contrary to some belief isnt gone.Personality wise he isnt brash and impulsive in Best Wishes nearly as much as he was in original series either acting more calm and collected to Iris and Trip provocations having more mature approach.

Ash nowdays seem like some weird combination of Johto and Hoenn Ash showing bits of maturity and experience and i suspect highly like i said before how different environment and characters he was put in are main reason behind this.

Ash was part of 5 group combinations since he started traveling with his character interacting differently with all of them with his behavior depending on how much traveling companions are mature.

Without even reading the entire post I can answer you with this->There is no way, in the world or any other, that you are going to convince people that Unova Ash and what he's going through equals what he went through at the start of Hoenn or Sinnoh. You're basically basing a representation of a character on how he acted when he first arrived to the region and ignoring everything that came after. And he's more like a combination of Kanto and Johto. Basically mid Johto.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sith Droideka View Post
    That's nice and all, but isolation does not mean that they're on a different world. Just because Unova isn't near the other regions doesn't mean that Ash will suddenly reset thanks to local customs or something. Unova's not on the Moon. It's just overseas.
    No but revamp of games with writers going in correlation with them along with two experienced companions joining him on journey are two extra factors which are complicating situation.

Since neither Cilan or Iris are greenhorns needing someone to teach them and learn from it,Ash cant be put in mentors role anymore to emphasize on character maturity being portrayed as less knowledgeable than they are and considering how BW games are carrying out vibe of "fresh start"with continuity and connections to past travels being cut to minimum doesnt provide credibility and background behind knowledge and experience Ash had before to carry it on to Unova being easier for writers to just tone him down to have new generations of kids easier time when following journey.

We may not agree with writer decisions,but this are most likely biggest reasons behind Ash being toned down: being different surrounding and characters among he was placed and drastic change of formula in games.
    Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue1225 View Post
    Without even reading the entire post I can answer you with this->There is no way, in the world or any other, that you are going to convince people that Unova Ash and what he's going through equals what he went through at the start of Hoenn or Sinnoh. You're basically basing a representation of a character on how he acted when he first arrived to the region and ignoring everything that came after. And he's more like a combination of Kanto and Johto. Basically mid Johto.
    Which isnt my intention,im simply stating how claims "Ash went back to Kanto status"is blowing things out of proportion.If we are going to nitpick over Pikachu strength in BW,Ash lack of experience along with loosing to newbies we shouldnt turn turn blind eye to all this problems which are following Ash whenever he starts out journey suffering from same issues at start of Ag and DP too(only in smaller amount).

I agree on part of Ash having tangent points with earlier version(namely Johto),but when it comes to personality he showed partial maturity and experience he had during first half of Hoenn too.

Unlike its case with Johto,Ash remains relatively stoic and calm to Iris provocations and arguing not reacting nearly as impulsive like it was case when Misty traveled with him(just comparing his reactions in Johto to reactions in Unova it can be noticed how he is less naive and brash now).Unlike its case with earlier seasons in Unova Ash is rushing less often in battles without thinking using actually strategy and his head.Naturally he isnt strategic like he used to be in Sinnoh but we can see in battles vs Elesa,Burgh or Stephan showing experience and knowledge using smart strategies which impressed his opponents.

Trying to use different approach by rotating excessively BW pokemon is indication of character not being bratty an conceited novice either(something which early Ash often was) ,being portrayed as trainer who is willing to learn new ways how to improve pokemon team and skills with his Unova pokemon slowly but surely developing and becoming stronger.

Do i think Ash has same maturity and experience he had in DP?Not really,but he wasnt portrayed in Unova as some dumb immature greenhorn either being far from his Kanto days when just starting out.
    Recent battles and Ash more wise and stoic approach to other character teasing and provocations is writers way of showing audience how he still retained some of earlier knowledge and maturity,but revamp of BW games,Unova being portrayed as far and isolated region not having references to older pokemon and past, already experienced traveling companions joining cast(Iris and Cilan) along with Pikachu being deprived of full strength because of Zekrom etc put Ash in ungrateful and unfavorable position making him seem less experienced than he really is.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 5th December 2011 at 12:58 PM.

No but revamp of games with writers going in correlation with them along with two experienced companions joining him on journey are two extra factors which are complicating situation.

Since neither Cilan or Iris are greenhorns needing someone to teach them and learn from it,Ash cant be put in mentors role anymore to emphasize on character maturity being portrayed as less knowledgeable than they are and considering how BW games are carrying out vibe of "fresh start"with continuity and connections to past travels being cut to minimum doesnt provide credibility and background behind knowledge and experience Ash had before to carry it on to Unova being easier for writers to just tone him down to have new generations of kids easier time when following journey.

We may not agree with writer decisions,but this are most likely biggest reasons behind Ash being toned down: being different surrounding and characters among he was placed and drastic change of formula in games.
    Sad but true.

Which isnt my intention,im simply stating how claims "Ash went back to Kanto status"is blowing things out of proportion.If we are going to nitpick over Pikachu strength in BW,Ash lack of experience along with loosing to newbies we shouldnt turn turn blind eye to all this problems which are following Ash whenever he starts out journey suffering from same issues at start of Ag and DP too(only in smaller amount).

I agree on part of Ash having tangent points with earlier version(namely Johto),but when it comes to personality he showed partial maturity and experience he had during first half of Hoenn too.

Unlike its case with Johto,Ash remains relatively stoic and calm to Iris provocations and arguing not reacting nearly as impulsive like it was case when Misty traveled with him(just comparing his reactions in Johto to reactions in Unova it can be noticed how he is less naive and brash now).Unlike its case with earlier seasons in Unova Ash is rushing less often in battles without thinking using actually strategy and his head.Naturally he isnt strategic like he used to be in Sinnoh but we can see in battles vs Elesa,Burgh or Stephan showing experience and knowledge using smart strategies which impressed his opponents.

Trying to use different approach by rotating excessively BW pokemon is indication of character not being bratty an conceited novice either(something which early Ash often was) ,being portrayed as trainer who is willing to learn new ways how to improve pokemon team and skills with his Unova pokemon slowly but surely developing and becoming stronger.

Do i think Ash has same maturity and experience he had in DP?Not really,but he wasnt portrayed in Unova as some dumb immature greenhorn either being far from his Kanto days when just starting out.
    Recent battles and Ash more wise and stoic approach to other character teasing and provocations is writers way of showing audience how he still retained some of earlier knowledge and maturity,but revamp of BW games,Unova being portrayed as far and isolated region not having references to older pokemon and past, already experienced traveling companions joining cast(Iris and Cilan) along with Pikachu being deprived of full strength because of Zekrom etc put Ash in ungrateful and unfavorable position making him seem less experienced than he really is.
    Seems like your answer really didn't have anything to do with my original statement.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by NfiNity View Post
    Agreed. He really needs a new strategy. If using a type disadvantage doesn't work, then you'd think you'd change it! It's like he WANTS to abuse the Pokemon. And yeah, Pikachu really stinks. HOW long has he been with Ash and battling!?
    If the Pikachu currently with Ash is the same from Kanto, then judging by all the gym battles, league battles, effing trainer battles and way too many experience points obtained to count, it should be waaay over level 100.

Even if the anime doesn't include the concept of 'levels', it should still be the strongest pokemon on earth.
    ACCEPTING SUBS - CLICK THE PIC!

His character design, his constant losses, his weaker team, and being portrayed as the newbie of the group again all show that Ash has been reset one way or the other.

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ash has been brainwashed by Team Rocket and given a rubbish Pickachu

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset?

WHY DOESN'T WRITER UNDERSTAND !
    Kid love's strong and cool main trainer ! They doesn't like a fall guy who doesn't learn after 5 year.
    Ya, The main character can start as a weak & Stupid trainer, BUT THAT OKEY IN THE VERY VERY BEGINNING OF THE SHOW.
    Not the Beginning of every series !
    If they want kids to like Pokemon as Inazuma 11 then They has to create a strong character image for Ash !
    Ya , That can view Ash as little stupid like Luffy (One Piece) & Natsu (Fairy Tail) But They must show Ash as a strong & Heart worming Character at the same time.
    Therefore Writer must give Ash vast Admiration from both Cast & Referring Character. However Ash mainly just get simple admiration from that Cast.
    I mean, Do you think People Admired Ash that same way Luffy & Natsu get's admired ? NO
    Writer has to create separate episode about Ash bonding with other referring Bw Character .
    Same time, Writer has to give Ash ACKNOWLEDGMENT . He has to Make Ash look like a Famous trainer.
    Plus every series , Ash remain inferior in someone-
    -In Original, Ash was inferior to Gary
    -In AG series, Ash was inferior to Drew
    -In Dp series, Ash was inferior to Paul
    -In Bw Series ,Ash is inferior to Trip.
    It took alomost 4 or 5 year for Ash to get rid of that inferiority against Paul & gary.
    Unfortunately Kid's aren't that Patient .
    This time it even worst since Trip just started his journey.
    Sadly, Ash inferiority to Drew still exist. Writer make a lot of useless filler in that series but he couldn't effort to see his beloved Drew getting his butt kick by Ash but he enjoyed Drew kicking Ash's Butt.
    For some reason Writer believe its okay for Ash to lose or remain inferior to trainer outside Gym & Pokemon league (like Pokemon Coordinator).
    But its not okay, Just because Drew is a coordinator & May's rival doesn't mean Its Okay for Drew to be better then Ash !
    I mean , Couldn't they realize how much this ruin Ash's character image ?
    They doesn't give a second thought whenever they need Ash to lose .
    They should understand that everytime Ash lose to a 3rd grade trainer like Keeny, Trip, Drew & Bianca's dad It greatly ruin his image to other kids.
    And Now We have ''Ash's character Reboot''.
    When all they need to do is to repair all the damage they cause to Ash's Character image in past series.
    Do They realize what Ash look like because of his CHARACTER REBOOT !
    Ash look like a ordinary trainer who can be beaten by any trainer. Even by the world most weakest trainer !
    And Since Ash doesn't have a Formidable character image , Kids lose's interest in him
    So what Ash need ?
    a)Character Reboot
    b) Strong Character image
    Correct Answer : b) Strong Character image !

Blog Entries

It really makes me sad to see how they horribly skewered Ash Ketchum's character is in BW. I don't want to get into detail because of so many things that went wrong, but every single important lesson, amazing adventure, memorable experience, and valuable friendship was just flushed down the toilet with BW. Watch an episode like the Nimbasa gym battle and you'll see that Ash has gone so low, I would say its worse than when he first started in OS. I just can't believe they would go to such lengths to reset Ash (and Pokemon) in such a huge way that it slaps the fans of previous series in the face, then burns them with Fire Blast. I would say the advanced generation Ash was just about right; not too brilliant, but not so dumb as to forget type advantages within a matter of 5 seconds. Hopefully one saving grace will come out of this ordeal; when TPC realizes the critical errors that were made in today's development of Ash (and the Pokemon anime), and then they will hopefully have the wisdom to correct what they did wrong.
    Last edited by Bluelatios; 12th March 2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios View Post
    Hopefully one saving grace will come out of this ordeal; when TPCi realizes the critical errors that were made in today's development of Ash (and the Pokemon anime), and then they will hopefully have the wisdom to correct what they did wrong.
    TCPi doesn't control Satoshi's character, the anime producers do.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast