Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset? - Page 5

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you feel that Satoshi's character has been reset?

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Charmander View Post
    Today's episode has further proven to me that the writers are purposely holding Ash back from demonstrating his full experience as a trainer in Best Wishes. Where they could have taken the path of Trip's badge quest stuttering all of a sudden while Ash suddenly profits from his badge collecting pedigree, they have instead annoyingly made a simple rehash of Gary's one or two steps ahead rivalry. It doesn't make sense!
    To be honest it makes Trip look more like a sue than it does make Ash look bad. Ash has been collecting badges at a decent pace this saga, and his only loss to Aloe was perfectly reasonable given he was using Tepig/Oshawott against her who didn't have much experience at the time.

Slowly but surely this saga is killing off my long-standing enthusiasm for watching this show. I was delighted about Oak's cameo and Tracey's brief mention in the recent Subway arc, but for the writers to jump between Ash taking down TWO legendaries and seeing off his most daunting rival yet, to him being outsmarted and out-maneuvered by a beginning trainer, it has just ruined Ash Ketchum's character for me. Please wake me up when Ash is restored to something more than a very pale shadow of his former self.
    Well if worse comes to worse, you can pretend the show ended with DP then. DP191 had a very nice "final episode" vibe to it anyway, with Ash imagining himself in Flint's place battling Cynthia with Infernape.

If Best Wishes doesn't improve then you can just call it quits. The writers might keep Ash around for another 10 years, its not like we'll all be in our 30's still watching him.

The Stray Veteran Pokemon Blazing Charmander's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    To be honest it makes Trip look more like a sue than it does make Ash look bad. Ash has been collecting badges at a decent pace this saga, and his only loss to Aloe was perfectly reasonable given he was using Tepig/Oshawott against her who didn't have much experience at the time.

Well if worse comes to worse, you can pretend the show ended with DP then. DP191 had a very nice "final episode" vibe to it anyway, with Ash imagining himself in Flint's place battling Cynthia with Infernape.

If Best Wishes doesn't improve then you can just call it quits. The writers might keep Ash around for another 10 years, its not like we'll all be in our 30's still watching him.
    At this point I would honestly rather read fanfiction where Ash reaches his goal and actually ages in the process, if most of the stories out there weren't either so farfetched or poorly executed themselves. The reason that I have stayed with the series until the age of 20 unlike many that I know is that I remained patient through the dull Johto saga and was therefore still around to watch AG which still had an Ash Ketchum who I could relate to as an early teen. He had definitely matured in that series and the way that he approached Pokemon training and took May under his wing was nice to see after watching him develop through Kanto, the Orange Islands and Johto. Sure, his character was perhaps a little flat and less comical in DP, but I really appreciated his complex rivalry with Paul and the writers let him go down valiantly against Tobias' legendaries even if they were originally planning for him to go all the way in the tournament (which was hinted at throughout DP).

On the point of Ash's Gym battles this saga Gliscor'd, I agree wholly with you that he has been picking up his badges fairly effortlessly so far. Then again the argument can be made that the 'pace' that his battles are arriving is necessary for the structure of this series, plus Trip is still ahead of him. A call back to the original series it may be, but it also smacks of horrible writing when you consider that Ash has had to play catch up with this guy ever since they met in Nuvema Town. Even if Trip was revealed to be Unova's child prodigy, it wouldn't excuse the fact that Ash's experience has been sacrificed in order for him to have a formidable rival in BW. I also perceive his personality as having been regressed for the sake of being a typical 10 year old who the newer generation of viewers can relate to (remember that the narrator openly mentioned that Ash is ten years old in the first episode of BW).

It also feels as if Ash has been forced to fulfil the role of this saga's 'novice' in order to accommodate two experienced travel companions in Iris and Cilan. Even if his age in AG and DP was rarely or never disclosed thus leaving his official age open to interpretation, in Sinnoh and especially Hoenn he truly seemed to gain wisdom that exceeded that of a 10 year old. To have that aura of experience taken away from him after a steady progression from rookie trainer to League Champion in-waiting is very hard to stomach after I have followed the show for the past 12 years - especially after watching him close in on his goal in DP.
    "My Dream..."

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I Hate it !
    I mean, shhhhhh What the point of Ash losing to Paul & going through a those trial in previous Series If He going back to being a rocky all over again
    When I use to see Zoey in Dp , I always wanted Ash to pay a role of Mentor Rival to another Rocky.
    Finally when he gets a Rocky rival (Trip) to mentor, He turn out be get mentored by the Rocky
    Only because Writer think by Resetting Ash's character , He bring back the fun of Old Pokemon Series
    So tell me Pokemon fan, Do u believe that by resetting Ash's Character Writer make Best wish fun like the very first pokemon Series ?
    The answer should be flat No
    Plus for some reason Writer seem to believe all Ash's mean rival has to be stronger then Ash from the begining even if they are Rocky
    I cant take this anymore. I can't stand this Ash who is inferior to the likes of Trip & Iris. I want the Ash who battle Paul & Trobius in sinnoh League. The Ash who plan ahead & use tactics , Not the Ash who say's "I don't need any tactics , I'm gonna win only with my will power & trust in Pokemon ''
    Now he act like that he is the only trainer in the world who has will power & trust in pokemon While other trainer has no will power & trust in pokemon . But the truth is that both Trust, Will power & Tactic (before battle & middle of Battle) are important
    The Reason Paul's battle was so cool because he always keep various trick of his sleeve from the start & Make use of the ability that his pokemon has.
    He doesn't wait for his pokemon ability to activate by itself. He activate his pokemon's ability himself . For example, If he has a pokemon with Swift Swim ability then he gonna tech that pokemon Rain Dance or Combine 2 attack to create Artificial Rain . He doesn't gonna wait for the Weather to activate his Pokemon swift swim ability. He plan to use a pokemon ability from the start
    Since He makes such good use of choosing, Substitution & pokemon ability , His battle seem like a real pokemon Battle
    But if this Ash gonna like Battle only with his undying confidence & Trust in pokemon Instete of making use of Choosing, Substitution & pokemon Ability then we are talking about some Boring Battles
    I mean Ash still haven't use ''Counter shield'' in Unova. What the point of creating it if Ash doesn't use anymore. Does Ash need to rediscover it again to use that
    If writer miss the old pokemon so much then he should just replace Ash rather then resetting his character in every single series & be done with it
    Because People should move forward not Backward
    The Ash that battle Elesa was the worst version Ash ever. Even then the Ash from 1st series.
    I wish I knew japanise so I can tell all this to the actual Writer

Blog Entries

At this point, I just find Ash an annoying unlikable character. Hopefully he get's back up to snuff, but given what's been shown so far I have my doubts. I'm sure he'll take down a legendary, but at this point it doesn't even seem remotely possible.

Yes, I do feel that he has been reset. However, I've learned to just enjoy the comedy and Pokemon of this show because as far as goals go, they don't get done on this show.

I am really mad and I am continually ranting about how the anime wasn't like how it was 5 years ago. It hasn't improved. Ash is still 10 and still naive. He doesn't learn anything and his pikachu still loses even though he had an extreme amount of training. I only like the skill changes in the anime. It feels like Ash will always be the same guy physically and mentally

Blog Entries

I just hope Ash isn't handled in the manner he is now, next saga. There have been very few glimpses of vintage Ash this season. It just seems like plot requires him to be scatter-brained, because someone has to be the newbie of the group. If he had won the Don Battle tournament it would have felt like he was going on the right track, but they didn't even let him do that. His track record is pretty awful this season, because he just seems like he's been relegated to the punching bag of the group. I know they are trying to imitate Kanto here, but dumbing down Ash for that purpose alone is a mistake.

Even with the current archetypes of people he is traveling with, they could have still kept him up to snuff. I don't find Ash really funny, or entertaining when he acts like he does in Best Wishes. It's more annoying, and jarring than anything else. I'll take a mature Ash, over a sudden juvenile one any-day. Trip, and Iris having a slight edge over Ash makes no sense. It just makes them come across as sues. The various little cameo's or comments about past regions, just make it all the more jarring. Writers, I realize you are trying to tell us this is the same character, but at least write them consistently so we can actually believe it is the same person.
    Last edited by Masurao; 26th October 2011 at 08:59 AM.

Well if we look at how they made Best Wishes almost like a reboot of Kanto, let's hope the next saga isn't a reboot of Orange Islands either. That would be aweful. Hopefully, Ash can go back to Kanto and go somewhere else and gain 80% of his brain back. Because it seem like he lost it while traveling from there to Unova.

El_
    Blog Entries

Of coarse hes been reset, and its disgraceful considering what hes accomplished in the past. Him just turning 10 years old was already Jesus faceplam worthy as well.

He looked and acted very mature in the Hoenn region, and was actually a mentor figure. He also physically looked older to boot. He was probably at his best in Hoenn. In Sinnoh he made a few mistakes, but that was understandable and his character and his skills were pushed to the limit in that saga.

Ash's Johto self is superior to his Unova self. Thats how sad it is. They stripped away everything that he had learned.
    Blazing Charmander and Duque like this.

You know I think that since this has happened that one of two things need to change, his age or our conception of this show. Since we know the writers are fixated on Ash, we might have to just get over it and either leave the show or watch it and let it run. Because I know some of use older viewers have tried to write to the show(including me), and have been ignored tells me only those two things.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Well if we look at how they made Best Wishes almost like a reboot of Kanto, let's hope the next saga isn't a reboot of Orange Islands either. That would be aweful. Hopefully, Ash can go back to Kanto and go somewhere else and gain 80% of his brain back. Because it seem like he lost it while traveling from there to Unova.
    I'd probably stop watching the show again. I love the Orange Islands arc and don't want the writers to even think about replicating it.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't really get why he couldn't remain mature. Is it simply because there's no newbie beginning female trainer this time around?

Even so, its not like Iris has more experience than Ash. Even if she was the best in her village, Ash still traveled through 5 regions and competed in many tournaments and has countless victories under his belt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    I don't really get why he couldn't remain mature. Is it simply because there's no newbie beginning female trainer this time around?

Even so, its not like Iris has more experience than Ash. Even if she was the best in her village, Ash still traveled through 5 regions and competed in many tournaments and has countless victories under his belt.
    His position as the "newbie" in the group, is just extremely forced and doesn't make any sense. Training a single Pokemon in a secluded woodland area..shouldn't make you on par with a person who's traveled as much as Ash has. But hey, Trip somehow has an edge over Ash, so why not make Iris do the same?

After all, we can't him out-doing important characters that give him a hard way to go occasionally too soon now can we? Chance to out-do Trip? Nah the best he can manage is a tie. Chance to out-do Iris? Nah...let's have her advance to the finals with him, and put him in a no-win situation. Fantastic writing there writers.
    Last edited by Masurao; 2nd November 2011 at 12:46 AM.

El_
    Blog Entries

To be quite honest, they should have done the reverse in B/W. The Gym leaders that Ash is traveling with, especially Cilian are inexperienced in the actual games. Cilian and his brothers had just became Gym leaders in the games not too long ago, and given Iris's young appearance she probably hasn't been one for that long either.

Just how cool would it have been to have had Ash actually teaching them what it truly means to be Gym leaders? Considering that he himself has faced countless Gym leaders in nearly each and every region and traveled with two of them himself he could have been a great mentor figure with much insight.

Wasted opportunity.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldnt say Ash got reset completely.As evidenced in BW writers are showing signs of his previous experience and knowledge being more strategic in battles,less naive and more calm and collected not reacting to provocations like Kanto Ash would.Like showing in some battles how knowledge he gained before is not gone(like his recent battle vs gym leader Elesa).And not responding to Iris teasing abruptly and impulsively is also indication of maturity.

However surrounding in which writers put him gave out that impression.Shootie is rather rookie and complete xenophobe for that matter,both Iris and Cilan are experienced trainers at this point and Pikachu being toned down with cheap Zekrom excuse being provided not helping it either.Its not so much problem within Ash but all those other elements in Best Wishes which are treating series like a "new start"putting his character in uncomfortable position at current moment.

Unova being treated as far and isolated region with Iris and Cilan not being beginners is one of main reasons why Ash character has been portrayed as "toned down".To better emphasize on fact of being foreigner in Unova not knowing anything about customs and different methodology of battling people are using there,as well trying to make him blend with new group in more appropriate manner.

It was different with Misty and Brock,which while werent beginners were coming from same region Ash did with his character being rookie back in day.While with May and Dawn it was easier for writers to put him in role of experienced and matured trainer considering he was traveling with two rookie girls which needed to learn from him.

So i dont think issue in here is about Ash being demoded to "basic"status,but more in fact of characters which are surrounding him being portrayed as experienced and competent trainers giving out false impression.However i still think that could change with situation becoming better.BW is still young and some things which were treated initially like garbage are starting to improve.Ash might very likely restore all development eventually like he did in previous regions.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast