Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset? - Page 11

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset?

Default Re: Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset?

They reset Ash every region but never as much as they have in BW.
    Before they just make him go to a new region with Pikachu so he has to catch new pokemon as a kind of reboot for every new region.
    But in BW they changed his character design (they eye thing and he is smaller than in DP) and they also made pikachu lose to a lvl 5 starter which can be explained with the Zekrom plot point but a few episodes later they made pikachu lose to a water type from the first gym while he was at full power. I could also go on about his lack of knowledge of things he has learned before but that would take to long.
    And another thing is his age. Before BW it was left to speculation by the fans if he has aged at all or not but than in BW they blatantly said he was still 10 slapping all of the people that made systems to see how old chars are (me included) in the face.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All right, then, we'll take it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos King View Post
    And while it was true that Pikachu and Pignite's victories in this battle were largely because of their respective type advantages, Ash still went in and used pokemon that had type advantages over them.
    Ash did send Pikachu against Samurott, yes, but Pikachu and Pignite's second victories against Swanna and Ferrothorn, respectively, were because Kotetsu made the boneheaded decision to pit them against the opponents who had the tremendous advantage over them. He basically gave Ash free leverage over the battle and had he not done that, things might have gone a little bit differently.

Six versus five on top of Kotetsu making rookie mistakes, and Ash still loses; that was my main point. I'd call that just as bad as the Virbank Gym challenge.

I'm not saying that either battle was justifiable. I am stating that we should consider ourselves lucky that this wasn't as lopsided as the Ash vs. Roxie battle. In both cases, good writing had to give way for deadlines and due dates. The battles in this tournament might have been constructed differently if Episode N wasn't expected to air right around the corner.
    Glad we're in agreement with that, though I doubt deadlines for Season 2 had anything to do with making Ash's final gym match 6 vs 3. If that were the case, the battle could have just been 3 vs 3 and lasted only one episode, instead of spreading it out into two.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 21st December 2012 at 09:40 PM.
    martianmister and DynoStretch like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Gabriel View Post
    Glad we're in agreement with that, though I doubt deadlines for Season 2 had anything to do with making Ash's final gym match 6 vs 3. If that were the case, the battle could have just been 3 vs 3 and lasted only one episode, instead of spreading it out into two.
    Likewise, the Axew filler didn't have to take place during the league. They could have delayed it to Episode N, if it had to exist at all. That goes for other fillers in Season 2, as well.

The writers are doing exactly what they want to do. No one has been forcing their hand.

Blog Entries

Not only has Ash been reset, but in some ways he's been regressed beyond Season 1 standards. Case in point: compare "Bye Bye Butterfree" with the BW Cottonee ep (I don't remember the name and I'm not bothering to look it up). Both eps involve large numbers of Pokemon pairing off for the Dance of Life. (I didn't come up with that term, but I like how it sounds.) In the Butterfree ep, Ash seemed to understand well enough what was going on. He may have needed a bit of explaining from Brock, but once he was up to speed he knew what would happen and how to help it along. (But not that much, so get your heads outta the gutter.) The Cottonee ep? Totally clueless. The whole "good buddies" thing really got old, and it made Ash seem like he knew nothing about the birds and the Beedrills. Not that Cilan or "What a kid" Iris were any help to him. Almost makes me wonder if they're agents for TPTB and making sure Ash stays dumb.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

After his mature presentation in DP, it's not hard to see that Ash's character has indeed been reset for BW. All those rookie mistakes in his battle against Elesa along with his complete inability to get the plot of the Cottonee ep goes, like Dracoman said, below even Original Ash as far as the character goes. At least he's kept some knowledge of battles, if his battle against Clay was set in the original series he probably would have used Pikachu there...
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Well Ash isn't in my opinion as immature as he was in Kanto, although his level of skill is pretty much the same here in Unova. So I don't think he has really been reseted, but he's just – I don't know – given up maybe? "Oh what the heck, I won't win this league anyway so let's send this tiny little Oshawott against that big bad Hydreigon." He's just roaming around the world collecting badges that'll look nice over the fireplace when he has retired or got eaten by some legendary Dragon-Pokémon.

Yep he's been reset because all the skills and experiences that he learned and gained is all gone and that really grinds my gears. But whatever ash can do whatever the fawk he wanna do.

Ash has been beaten by the baka noob Kotetsu (who had only 5 pokemons) in quarter final.
    His reset is clearly evident, even if we are at the end of unova league, ash current skills match to skills he had before confront clair for 8th johto badge (now he have clearly not the level to beat a dragon leader)

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Kanto: Top 16
    Johto: Top 8
    Hoenn: Top 8
    Sinnoh: Top 4
    Unova: Top 8

Need I say more? He's clearly been reset...

If this keeps up, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets Top 16 next time.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

Really, at this point, anyone who says that Ash hasn't regressed in BW is just fooling themselves. It's pretty blatantly obvious he has. Hopefully next series, especially has a more realistic main rivalry as well.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know if I would go as far as to say that his character has been reset, but his skills have, unmistakably, been downgraded in BW.

It took him six of his Pokemon to defeat just three of Roxie's at his last gym challenge before the Unova League, and then he only reaches the top 8 in said league, when he reached in the top 4 in Sinnoh. Sure, perhaps there were more trainers, and an extra round, in the Unova League than in the Sinnoh League, but none of that matters, when, not only was one round of the league skipped ENTIRELY - which didn't make it feel like it was that far in the league - but Ash was defeated by a trainer who only used five Pokemon against Ash's six, and even though Cameron's Riolu evolved in that battle, which helped him to win, Cameron also basically threw away two of his Pokemon by pitting a Ferrothorn (a Grass/Steel-type) against Pignite (a Fire-type) and Swanna (a Water/Flying-type) against Pikachu (an Electric-type). And Ash still lost that battle. And then after that, Cameron was defeated by Virgil, who also ended up only using five Pokemon against Cameron's six and only three of them were actually KO'ed, making Ash look even worse. Ash hasn't been defeated by a trainer who, in turn, was also defeated by another trainer in a league since the Johto League.

Compare that to the Sinnoh League where he lost to a Darkrai and Latios and performed better than all of Tobias' other opponents in the league. None of the other trainers who had to battle Tobias could even hope to defeat Darkrai, much less defeat Darkrai and then fight well against Latios. So even if Ash got paired up with Tobias in the first round, he'd still have something he could brag about.

Let's also not forget that he competed with a rookie trainer the whole saga.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 14th January 2013 at 02:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Now we officially know the writers had been derping Ash recently because Episode N was so much more important.

...is what I'd like to believe.

Ash has been pretty poor throughout Unova. The writers a) gave him a weak team b)gave him too many pokemon c)downgraded his skills and have him a poor rival.

What makes it even worse is that most of his new pokemon add no value to his overall team whatsoever. Every league and region had something good about it. Kanto was about Ash devoloping from a rookie into a decent trainer with flashes of brilliance. Johto was about beating his main rival. Hoenn was about further building up on his experience. In Sinnoh, he had his best battles and further improved upon his imporovisation skills. And in UNOVA? Nothing, nill. He hasn't improved in anyway, shape or form. This is the most he has ever declined.
    Duque and Johtohfiller like this.

Blog Entries

Well, after watching the battles in DP, I think it's obvious that there's been a serious downgrade. In the second gym battle of DP, Ash had Staravia use the emerging sun behind it to blind the opponent's pokemon. That was smart. I honestly couldn't believe that Ash was capable of that, but I had BW on the brain.
    Last edited by Hidden Mew; 15th February 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011