Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset?

Blog Entries

Default Do you feel that Ash/Satoshi's character has been reset?

So far in Best Wishes, Satoshi has received both criticism and praise for what some perceive as his character being reset due to some of his actions so far, and not using knowledge that he gained from the previous sagas.

Do you think that his character has been reset? If so, do you like it and why? If not, why don't you think so?
    Last edited by Musashi; 2nd September 2011 at 05:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you feel that Satoshi's character has been reset?

I think he did not seem to learn anything from Paul which is really unfortunate. He seems to be impulsive as Johto/Hoenn , a worse battler and stupider. "best friend" really Satoshi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

He's no damn reset it's ridiculous one little mistranslation has spun all into this.

Satoshi has been the Satoshi from the very beginning, using Kurumayu's String Shot to evade attacks, Mijumaru's Water Gun thingy, Pokabu grabbing Baoppu's tail, those are all tricks we've seen him pull before this isn't a character reset in the slightest.

Of cores he has been reset, Why would he not weaken Pidove like he did with Starly? Were is the Counter Shield? He is a novice again, It is a shame all of the last decade of development has gone down the drain.

Blog Entries

No, I don't see how he's been reset at all. Those first few episodes were just to introduce little kids to the show. After that he's exactly like the Satoshi from DP.

I was watching some Kanto episodes the other day and I don't see how BW Satoshi is remotely like him.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

He doesn't reset, really - he just seems to goof off more at the beginning of a saga. That, and have some bad luck.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not really,starting mistakes Ash does happens pretty much at start of every region he travels through with exception being Johto where fresh start didnt happened taking older pokemon with him.

Signs of Ash immaturity and tendency to do some basic misplays to be honest can be annotated as part of his character being excited about new region and pokemon always being prone to make at times stupid mistakes.This happens at start at every new region with same scenario already happening in Hoenn and at start of Sinnoh.Not sure if people remember but Ash tried to catch Treecko at start in Hoenn by just throwing pokemon ball at it in similar manner how he did with Pidove.

As series went on Ash usually picks himself up quickly going back to mode of mature and experienced trainer as we get to see in Sinnoh doing step forward as trainer showing all his knowledge he gathered in previous sagas and strategies he developed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    No, I don't see how he's been reset at all. Those first few episodes were just to introduce little kids to the show. After that he's exactly like the Satoshi from DP.

I was watching some Kanto episodes the other day and I don't see how BW Satoshi is remotely like him.
    Yeah, there's an obvious difference between Kanto!Ash and Unova!Ash personality-wise: Kanto!Ash is much more rash and hotheaded than Unova!Ash. In BW, he still acts as maturely as he did in DP, but now he has a certain comedic quality to him that wasn't as showcased in the previous saga.

The only facet of his character that has really been reset is his battling technique. In DP, Ash not only utilized tricks such as Spin (borrowed from Dawn) and Counter Shield, but in his gym battles, he usually concocted some strategy or found some way that would get past the gym leader's strategy and earn him a win (Spin against Roark, having Staravia fly into the sun to blind Cherubi and Aipom listen for Weather Ball and strike back against Gardenia, Counter Shield against Fantina, Chimchar snowboarding against Candice). The only strategy he's really used in a BW gym was having Oshawott use Water Gun against the wall at a certain angle so that it would come back and hit its Scalchop back towards it which was used against Cilan.

I'm still giving him time, though, since he's only participated in three gym battles thus far in BW. Hopefully in the future, the writers will find some unique ways to have Ash win by having him really work for it.

Blog Entries

Resetting is not a bad thing. But with that in mind, I say no. He hasn't. Everything else around him has.
    And just like we do every few years, he has to start over. He has learned stuff, but it's harder to teach into real animals than it is virtual battle-pets. And also there's the idea of always wanting to try something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Miar View Post
    Resetting is not a bad thing. But with that in mind, I say no. He hasn't. Everything else around him has.
    And just like we do every few years, he has to start over. He has learned stuff, but it's harder to teach into real animals than it is virtual battle-pets. And also there's the idea of always wanting to try something new.
    Learning something new. I hope the writers will let Ash bring back old pokemon (Torkoal, quilava and Buizel e.g.) to help train his new pokemon.

Or e.g. Muk to train Snivey against defensive poison types.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To a degree, I believe Ash's character has been reset as of BW. He hasn't regressed as far back as Kanto, but he definitely seems a lot less mature than he was in DP and AG. A lot of this I blame on the writing, though. Even though Unova's a far-off foreign region that Ash knows next to nothing about (with good reason, since he was originally just going on vacation there), it's not like Ash knew anything about Johto, Hoenn, or Sinnoh before he started his journey in those regions. Especially in DP, even with the panic of a missing Pikachu, Ash knew he needed Starly weakened before trying to capture it. That's why I don't really buy the "oh, Ash was just overly-excited" thing when he tried capturing a Deerling without doing anything to weaken it. That was just really bad writing; even though BW is supposed to be in continuity with the other series, Ash's behavior often contradicts this. That's why I wish BW was a true reboot; a lot of things would make more sense that way.

He argued with Iris about her battling style even though that was sorta the whole point of Ash's rivalry with Paul, which Ash obviously came to accept by the end of DP. They're claiming Ash has never dealt with Roar or Mean Look in battle before when he has; the latter of which was near the end point of the previous series! Though Ash's core personality is pretty consistent in every series, something about his behavior in BW rubs me the wrong way. It's still early on in the series, but it really seems he's retained nothing of what he's learned from his past journeys, whereas with previous series it felt like there was a solid continuity going on for the most part. BW feels very distant from the other series by comparison... so yeah, I'd say Ash fully regressing back to his Kanto era persona would be exaggerating, but he definitely feels more newbish than he should be. The series itself likes to pretend AG/DP never happened half the time, despite showing continuity now and then what with Looker and all.

So really, I'd say it's just bad writing that makes Ash feel as if he's been reset. There's no excuse for it, but that's what we're stuck with. I hope BW as a whole doesn't keep pulling this inconsistency nonsense.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Yeah. Its as if DP's development never happened.

Blog Entries

Ash still has his unorthodox battle style and his and how he gets into dangerous situations to protect his pokemon. He lets Pikachu give him a volt tackle and that is what D/P Ash would have done probably. I don't think its a true reset they are just in a brand new area and Ash has a brand new team. How can Ash use his (fantastic) coutner shield or his spin technique without the proper situation arising just yet, or the fact that his new Pokemon don't know it. Ash does remember team rocket, and he is still best friends with Pikachu so ill give them credit there, although those are pretty obvious. I HOPE he recognizes Looker when they get around to the Plasma episodes in this century....

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

possibly, but he's always like this. I do think bringing in Trip making him think twice and sometimes the writers will pull BS from their you-know-whats to keep the man an underdog
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Ash's DP development seems to me like the most defining of his personality. Ash started to become a pro, and probably would have advanced to the finals had Tobias not been practically cheating (who in the Hell owns a Darkrai and a Latios. Frontier Brains (No, Brandon found all three golems being Mr. Ruin Hunter) didn't even have more than one legendary!

But BW threw Ask back pretty far. He forgot to weaken Pokemon first (stupid), and never made such a mistake since Caterpie. Then where did all his fancy strategy go that he totally mastered last season...

OH. Yeah, I remember now. These Pokemon are all noobs minus Pikachu, which the writers finally showed his separation from all other Pokemon given his monumental extra experience. Trip nailed it during the 5 v 5 match, where he said they were all noobs minus Snivy and Pikachu. Both Pokemon were well-trained (Snivy had a Trainer it deemed unworthy), and proved it to one point or another. Tepig, Oshawott, Scraggy, Pidove all need to gain their own special skills as Ash can teach them. It makes sense to have all of "his" skill vanish when new Pokemon show up.

Thank god Pikachu finally has skill separation. Being able to fend off Mincinno and Tranquill while others couldn't is the least the writers could do. So yes, Ash's battle skills rebooted, as makes sense with new Pokemon, but his Trainer skills have no excuse. He'll only catch up from here.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast