Did you like Tracey/Kenji during the Orange League season?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Did you like Tracey/Kenji during the Orange League season?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Did you like Tracey/Kenji during the Orange League season?

According to Bulbapedia, there was an interview done by someone from the Pokemon anime production, and they said that the reason why Brock was replaced with Tracey during the Orange League season was because they thought people might call them racists. However, even after Tracey was in the show, nobody really cared. Rather, lots of viewers missed Brock, so he was back for the Johto saga and beyond.

But while Tracey was in the show, do you think he fulfilled the anime creators' wish? Do you think he was a good enough character?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Did you like Tracey during the Orange League season?

Approved.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Strangely, I always like him contrary to most of the fandom.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, kinda. I never hated him like most people seemed to. He just wasn't as funny or interesting as Kanto-era Brock though so I didn't care when he left.

If Tracey was introduced later on in the series, after people started getting a bit tired of Brock, I think his character would have been more successfull. He just came at the wrong time....way too early in the series.

Its funny because Tracey is viewed as a "failed replacement" because they went back to the original character, whereas when Misty and Brock got replaced again by May and Cilan, it wound up sticking. I guess we now know why the original trio was reunited the first time it split up, but not the second time.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

No, I didn't really like him at all. He didn't really have a stand-out personality bar being a bit of a fanboy around Oak, which in itself was kind of weak compared to the reactions Brock and Dent have had to folks they admire or lust for. Other than that, he was pretty much just super calm and there, which didn't provide too many memorable moments.
    Pokemon Watcher isn't much of a Raison d'être either. Yeah, drawing and watching animals. It's a cool thing to do in real life, but not so much when it comes to TV entertainment.

I suppose in a sense it allowed for the friendship and interaction between Ash and Misty to develop even further, and since Misty was a crack-up back then, that's a pretty good trade off methinks.

In any case, it's pretty obvious that they were playing it 'safe' and created a character to fill that criteria. And they succeeded, perhaps too well.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grave-E View Post

In any case, it's pretty obvious that they were playing it 'safe' and created a character to fill that criteria. And they succeeded, perhaps too well.
    I think the fact that they never forgot him and he continued to appear every season after he left says enough. He even appeared in more of those hoso specials than Misty did, oddly enough. I think he's in like 7 of them.

Tracey's last appearance was AG191....and he continues to get off-screen references to this day. Amazing that such a minor character in retrospect managed to stay around throughout the whole show.

I liked him better than Brock but I didn't like his chemistry with Misty back then. Only when the chronicals came on is when Misty really seem to get along better with Tracey.

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

I didn't mind Tracey. He was a likable enough character, but he wasn't great either. There was nothing about his personality that particularly stood out, and he felt like a watered-down version of Brock, only with even less to do, and without Brock's vast knowledge of Pokemon and over-the-top girl craziness. Since he was an entirely original character and had no game counterpart, they could have taken the opportunity to create someone interesting without any restrictions, but they completely failed to deliver.

That said, I'd still take an inoffensive character like him over an annoying one any day of the week.
    Last edited by Bouffalant Herdier; 16th January 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Who is this git?

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I don't remember loving his character, but I don't remember disliking him either. In fact, I barely remember him from when he was with the gang. He was likeable enough, but his lack of real character development and personality, plus the fact that he got very little action, made him overall unmemorable.
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tracey was created sadly for wrong reasons serving as test to see if fanbase is bothered by Brock eye design,with writers replacing him due to potential racial issues.When you include character in story with not much thought put into it,its not like you could have expected much from his character in first place.Fact how Tracey character didnt received any growth whatsoever,with nothing being known about his past,motives or in reality anything just further confirms that.Instead of fleshed out and developed storyline we had character which ended up shallow with his staying at prof.Oak being just an afterthought to provide excuse to drop him out.

However as far as character goes i thought Tracey was likable and intriguing character.I liked his obsession over prof.Oak,love he had for sketching and he had some pretty good interactions with Ash and Misty(especially in chronicles with those two having good dynamic).He wasnt showed enough for me to gain valid opinion but from what it has been showed,he was refreshing change in Orange Islands and i found interesting his ambitions when it comes to sketching being pokemon watcher.We can also say how he is the only character so far who accomplished his goal considering his dream was to become prof.Oak assistant,in end becoming one.

Quote Originally Posted by Grave-E View Post

I suppose in a sense it allowed for the friendship and interaction between Ash and Misty to develop even further, and since Misty was a crack-up back then, that's a pretty good trade off methinks.
    Agreed,you could tell how Tracey played of nicely with Ash and Misty during OI.He served as intermediate and balance between their fights with both characters opening themselves more to each other(softening up looking beyond initial impression they had on themselves) with their friendship being strengthened.Likewise i recall Orange Islands had several hints of romance mixed in there.

Not sure only what you mean by "crack-up",but if its being referred to someone being fun i find Misty was fun character in Johto and Hoenn(both hosos and cameos) as well .

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I actually did like Tracey. He was a bit dull, but I liked him regardless. He did have personality quirks and had his funny moments during the Orange Islands which I think lots of people forgot about. I do think that if Tracey had remained a main character past Orange Islands it would have been dreadfully boring, since there's only so long you can keep a character like that without them losing whatever little luster they had. But I always thought he was a decent character anyway, and he was good in Chronicles too.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

El_
    Blog Entries

Tracey wasn't that bad to me, just mellow. Kinda laid back which ironically fits the theme of the islands a bit when you think about it. Though like people have said he doesn't stand out as a character quite as well as Brock did, so for many he isn't as memorable.

It always makes me wonder though what would have happened if they introduced Tracey around when Hoenn was released, would he have been better received and would the group and the series had been better or not.

Overall hes alright, not terrible not outstanding, just Tracey.

Blog Entries

I will mostly agree that he's not a bad person, but his entire reason for existing was a folly, and he never accomplished anything other than sort of what he was looking for.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Nice guy. Kinda flat, but still better than what Brock would later become.
    (Not that I noticed back then.)

I guess he was okay.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

I liked Tracey. He didn't take over, but he wasn't nonexistent either. He was cute and entertaining at times. A good character.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast