Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show? - Page 9

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 221
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

  1. #121
    SOVA Leader Bluelatios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    325
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Lol, the mallet? Cartoon tools for the win :p. I've never heard much serious talk about it, so I don't know where you did Gliscor'd XD. I found it interesting how the scope of the arguments shifted in Johto and like pokemonfan said, there were quite a few, but less silly bantering and more friendly teasing/rivalry. I enjoyed both. Misty using the bike to avoid admitting she likes to travel with Ash and blaming Ash whenever the group gets lost are classics :D.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

  2. #122
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Misty didn't use the bike argument all that long either.

  3. #123
    SOVA Leader Bluelatios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    325
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    No it didn't, because she matured of course. It wouldn't make sense to be using the argument too long, I meant I enjoyed it while it lasted.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

  4. #124
    shsl music club member Catspring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    862
    Blog Entries
    8
    Add Catspring on Facebook
    Follow Catspring on Tumblr

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    I loved Kasumi's personality. I thought she was fun and interesting, she wasn't afraid to stand up for herself and she was snarky. I love snarky people. However, I don't think the writers handles her well. Her interactions with Satoshi were interesting, but she never really accomplished anything. Her goal was vague and she didn't do much. Yes, she matured during her journey, but that isn't the point. The point is she didn't do anything substantial.
    Grave-E and Phoenixphlare like this.

  5. #125
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eifi View Post
    I loved Kasumi's personality. I thought she was fun and interesting, she wasn't afraid to stand up for herself and she was snarky. I love snarky people. However, I don't think the writers handles her well. Her interactions with Satoshi were interesting, but she never really accomplished anything. Her goal was vague and she didn't do much. Yes, she matured during her journey, but that isn't the point. The point is she didn't do anything substantial.
    I agree. I get her character but with her goal, it should have been developed more. Especially in the IS where it was all water and mostly water pokemon in every episode.

  6. #126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    131
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    For so long now, i've liked Misty and missed her being in the cast, but now i'm starting to think that was just because of two reasons;

    1. Because she was one of the Original cast

    2. Because i'm a firm supporter of Pokeshipping (but lets not get into that)

    The more and more i hear people state that May, Dawn and Iris were handled better, the more i start to see what they mean. Plus, the more i try to think of how Iris was a lot more condescending towards Misty, the more i see that Misty was pretty nasty herself.

    I just don't know where i stand anymore.
    Caseydia likes this.

  7. #127
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Srebak View Post
    For so long now, i've liked Misty and missed her being in the cast, but now i'm starting to think that was just because of two reasons;

    1. Because she was one of the Original cast

    2. Because i'm a firm supporter of Pokeshipping (but lets not get into that)

    The more and more i hear people state that May, Dawn and Iris were handled better, the more i start to see what they mean. Plus, the more i try to think of how Iris was a lot more condescending towards Misty, the more i see that Misty was pretty nasty herself.

    I just don't know where i stand anymore.
    Where you stand anymore? What does that mean? I don't see why this became a competition. Also being part of the original cast means nothing in terms of how much people like characters. Especially given some of the most popular characters in the show came after Johto.

  8. #128
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    There shouldn't exist competition between girls evaluating them through how much they did, but how valuable and fun in general characters were.

    Misty maybe received less than May or Dawn did,but that doesn't make her inferior as character because its quality which counts not quantity. Her role was never to be like co-star but she contributed to great group dynamic bringing humor, tension and quality interaction among cast. From her tantrums to Ash, to snarky remarks about Brock to great deal of responsibility and attachment she developed toward her friends(especially in later seasons)she was generally very fun and enjoyable to watch.
    She didn't had plot driven quest like contests were but she compensated for that through other things. Like helping Ash to grow into better trainer along with Brock help, being like older brother and sister to him(his mentors).

    She often took initiative to start moving things, helping various people to cop with emotional problems, saving their lives or participating in rescue missions(like St,. Anne or Porta Vista incident, when Togepi,Sentret or baby Lugia were kidnapped etc).

    And she had unique goal.Her dream of becoming water master extracted on surface her passionate love for water type(no one has been adamant about it like she was) striving to learn everything she can about it,catch as many as she can wanting to become best in world water trainer overcoming their flaws and making name for herself.

    Whenever she got screen time, she usually prospered getting significant growth, which ultimately turn her in better person and trainer. Making me wish even more that writers did more with character , because when they moved Misty forward it was usually done in entertaining and believable way not loosing her charm.
    We can see she developed gradually growing in more mature and independent person, and she made some notable progress toward her dreams giving out impression that she is going somewhere, learning from new experiences.Like wining competitions such as Seaking contest, Alto Mare race or coming among top 8 in Whirl Cup . Or connecting on closer level with her pokemon like Staryu or Poliwhirl, when she understood Marill feelings saving its life in "For Crying out Loud", gaining Gyarados respect in hosos which were all indicators that she really grew from starting days making step forward in aim of mastering water pokemon type one day.

    Now to be fair, Misty had her share of flaws being far from perfect and her story could have been handled better. But at end of the day positive things outweigh cons being willing to overlook some of flaws writers did due to lack of experience back in day appreciating what original girl brought to show and all those things thanks to which anime was more enjoyable to watch thanks to her.

    I only wish writers bring her back at some point, because there was so many things unanswered leaving lot of potential to expand on her story. Not only with water master goal for which gym isn't enough,but also with past, ambitions and various other aspects of Misty character which are left unfinished and unexplored. And of course to revive some of that unmistakable dynamic and lively interaction she was famous for.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 16th June 2012 at 12:59 PM.

  9. #129
    SOVA Leader Bluelatios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    325
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Srebak View Post
    For so long now, i've liked Misty and missed her being in the cast, but now i'm starting to think that was just because of two reasons;

    1. Because she was one of the Original cast

    2. Because i'm a firm supporter of Pokeshipping (but lets not get into that)

    The more and more i hear people state that May, Dawn and Iris were handled better, the more i start to see what they mean. Plus, the more i try to think of how Iris was a lot more condescending towards Misty, the more i see that Misty was pretty nasty herself.

    I just don't know where i stand anymore.
    Really, each character is unique and different to each person, even the ones that have problems to some can be someone else's favorite. Whatever reasons you have for liking Misty, or anyone else for that matter, don't let anyone else tell you that your reasons are "wrong" because its your opinion.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

  10. #130
    Registered User theseviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Her battle against Molly was really awesome! Anyway, I think Misty is little bit annoying when she's jealous for Ash's new girls ;d

  11. #131
    Registered User Angel~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    I like the Misty VS Molly battle, especially since it was being done in her element. Same with the Dorian battle. I think if the writers were more experienced they would be having Misty battle trainers under water, & then winning some sort of badge and then the Whirl Cup would be like the GF of Contests. Several water trainers would be there. Also her rivals Marina & Andreas.

  12. #132
    Valuan Admiral Alfonso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Misty maybe received less than May or Dawn did,but that doesn't make her inferior as character because its quality which counts not quantity.
    I like how you say that Misty had "quality not quantity" despite the fact that the exact opposite is true. Misty appeared in far more episodes than May and Dawn did and achieved far less. Even if you say that what she did achieve was better/of higher quality than May or Dawn... well, you could say that but it would be wrong.

    She didn't had plot driven quest like contests were but she compensated for that through other things. Like helping Ash to grow into better trainer along with Brock help, being like older brother and sister to him(his mentors).
    This "mentor" role of which you speak didn't really exist outside of Kanto for Misty. Brock... maybe, at a stretch. By Orange Islands and Johto Ash was far more competent as a trainer.

    She often took initiative to start moving things, helping various people to cop with emotional problems, saving their lives or participating in rescue missions(like St,. Anne or Porta Vista incident, when Togepi,Sentret or baby Lugia were kidnapped etc).
    All of the cast has been involved in helping and/or saving people's lives. That's generally what Ash's group does in non-Gym, non-Contest, non-training episodes. What exactly makes Misty so special out of the group?

    And she had unique goal.Her dream of becoming water master extracted on surface her passionate love for water type(no one has been adamant about it like she was) striving to learn everything she can about it,catch as many as she can wanting to become best in world water trainer overcoming their flaws and making name for herself.
    Yet the goal of "Water Pokemon Master" was never really defined and on a number of occasions she would totally forget about her supposed loyalty to Water Pokemon by wanting to capture a fair few non-Water types. (As long as they were cute she didn't care.) I'm also amused at your notion that she was passionate about helping them "overcome their flaws". I cannot think of an example where she attempted to do that. In fact, until she knew that Psyduck was actually fairly useful, she didn't care about it at all.

    Also, best in the world?

    Whenever she got screen time, she usually prospered getting significant growth,
    Misty's one and only major character change was getting Togepi and mellowing (Read: Became boring.) out. That was it, she never showed any "significant growth" and certainly never "whenever she got screentime".

    Or connecting on closer level with her pokemon like Staryu or Poliwhirl,
    Please let me know the episode where Misty connected on a closer level to Staryu, because I sure as hell don't remember it. Provide me with an episode name and what scenes you believe show her "connecting" with Staryu.

    Not only with water master goal for which gym isn't enough,but also with past, ambitions and various other aspects of Misty character which are left unfinished and unexplored.
    The Gym is certainly a step in the right direction. How else would you suggest she develops in the incredibly vague goal of "Water Pokemon Master"? Right now, I'm reading that as "Strong Trainer who uses only Water Pokemon".

    And of course to revive some of that unmistakable dynamic and lively interaction she was famous for.
    She was like that in Kanto and that's pretty much it. People place far too much emphasis on "the original trio's dynamic" but that really only existed in the original series. Johto might as well have been a different group entirely.
    I stream Pokémon episodes and movies at least once a week, follow @PKMNProfessor on Twitter to receive updates on when I'm streaming! (I also tweet any interesting Pokemon based news stories, facts and what I'm currently doing in-game.)

  13. #133
    SOVA Leader Bluelatios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    325
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    @Alfonso; I might want to mention before anything gets crazy that there's a lot of different ways to perceive a characters value or role and each of them have varied levels of impacts on the people that watched their adventures. What constitutes as good quality is a highly subjective term. For me, good quality in Pokemon means getting enough interaction with other characters in the show, having a well defined personality, getting a good amount of humor etc. IMO Misty had plenty of that. Sure there's people who would have liked her to have a little more active battling, but the important part is underneath writing issues, there is a core foundation for her character and opportunities to advance. Most of us know that any form of Pokemon master-esque goal thus far has been somewhat vague; that's ok, because these kind of things aren't that important to actually providing entertainment in each episode. I think its perfectly natural for an anime character to have flexibility in their aspirations, just as a real person would. Its also apparent that traveling with Pokemon is a big part of their fictional society, and probably one of the best ways to continue growing as a person. It seems to me that gyms appear to be more of a place trainers come to when they're already satisfied with their progress and are ready to pass knowledge on to young challengers. That's my point of view and why I think Misty could certainly benefit from traveling again. Its really all up to the writers if they ever want to go in that direction.
    Last edited by Bluelatios; 9th July 2012 at 10:23 PM.
    pokemon fan 132 and Angel~ like this.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

  14. #134
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
    I like how you say that Misty had "quality not quantity" despite the fact that the exact opposite is true. Misty appeared in far more episodes than May and Dawn did and achieved far less. Even if you say that what she did achieve was better/of higher quality than May or Dawn... well, you could say that but it would be wrong.
    There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to quality being matter of subjective interpretation, but if your looking for facts i displayed more than enough scenes in this thread already. May and Dawn had more episodes focusing on their carers, past and pokemon but Misty didn't needed that much screen time to become quickly accepted and popular with valuable interactions with main cast, touching back story, character development where she grew as person and trainer she received usually being of high quality allowing people to relate to her being rather complex as character having multiple personality sides and motivations to her.

    Its value of achievement itself which should be taken in account and not in how many competitions someone was involved.


    This "mentor" role of which you speak didn't really exist outside of Kanto for Misty. Brock... maybe, at a stretch. By Orange Islands and Johto Ash was far more competent as a trainer.
    And that is gross understatement to make. Ash was anything but independent trainer in OI and Johto, it wasn't until AG when he matured enough to stop being reliant so much on companions and be mentor to someone for a change(May). Misty motivated him to go forward and try his best during course of whole OS, gave him advices in all 5 seasons and served as catalyst through which he along with her and Brock help grew forward.

    Like when she flirted with Danny in OI causing in Ash jealousy of being ignored serving as motivation to try best in passing gym tests, when she criticized him of just standing there and doing nothing with Squirtle against Rudy Starmie giving him encouragement and wake up call to snap himself out of trans and try harder, which resulted in Squirtle learning hydro pump. She continued to give him advices on several occasions such as warning him about ground types being weak to ice types like Dewgong suggesting someone else with Phanphy losing to Pryce because of Ash stubbornness. Offered him her own pokemon in fire extinction contests in Johto helping him with selection of water types and which one to use, what pokemon to use in Whirl Cup, helped him with Brock to prepare strategy when battling Macy or Gary in Johto league and what pokemon he should use etc, etc. Had certain rivalry with him trying to portray herself as better battler serving as push for Ash to try his best and prove himself as trainer. Such as when battling for Totodile or in Whirl Cup, with arguing and underestimation of his trainer skills causing in him revolt gradually improving as trainer.

    Writers made it clear several times how her role is to be like Ash coach with character itself claiming that several times. Last time she said that in OS before departure was when arguing with Macy at Johto league claiming to be Ash coach.

    All of the cast has been involved in helping and/or saving people's lives. That's generally what Ash's group does in non-Gym, non-Contest, non-training episodes. What exactly makes Misty so special out of the group?
    I don't remember any of girls getting everyone out of sunk ship, getting Ash and co out of forest when they got lost(for example in Hoot Hoot episode where she became friends with owl pokemon), disguised herself trying to get Ash and Brock pout of jail, ,managed to convince Tentacruel and Tentacuel from stopping to destroy town, saved people lives on several occasions(Ash twice, Tracey once, sister of gym leader Rudy, took care of sick Brock in Johto etc list goes on). She played more of classical heroine role than other girls did influencing more along with Brock Ash growth as trainer and always fighting for the weak helping them to stand up for themselves.

    Each character is special in its own way, with May and Dawn doing things unique for themselves too and just because Misty had smaller role in series doesn't mean she was inferior or "worse"in any way than other female protagonists were. Because often less is more.

    Yet the goal of "Water Pokemon Master" was never really defined and on a number of occasions she would totally forget about her supposed loyalty to Water Pokemon by wanting to capture a fair few non-Water types. (As long as they were cute she didn't care.) I'm also amused at your notion that she was passionate about helping them "overcome their flaws". I cannot think of an example where she attempted to do that. In fact, until she knew that Psyduck was actually fairly useful, she didn't care about it at all.
    It was, watch Whirl Cup episodes or episodes focusing on Misty in Kanto, OI or Johto. It was stated how it means becoming best water trainer in world being explained in Whirl Islands by prof. Elm how winner of water tournament gets title "Alpha Omega of water types"being one of tasks water master in past accomplished showing how there exist competitions and tests someone needs to pass just like coordinators or trainer like Ash do to prove their worth as trainers. It was also mentioned by sea priestess Maya how water heroes(in Japanese water masters)were strong trainers which managed to understand hearts of water types being able to communicate with them. Similar what Iris tries to do, only difference is that Misty never managed to establish such strong bond with water pokemon so far.

    About remark of trying to catch pother pokemon types while tomboy, Misty had girly side too being one of character traits to fall for romance and cute, cuddly pokemon being reason why she tried to catch Jigglypuff, Teddiursa, Odish etc.

    However her dedication and love for water types was unquestionable being her first and primary passion wanting to learn everything she can about them and master said type.

    Examples where she helped her pokemon to overcome their flaws:When Poliwhirl was bullied by Andreas Poliwrath in Seaking contest from Johto she gave her pokemon motivation and encouragement to stand up for himself not being coward and let himself be bullied, with Poliwhirl managing to overcome his lack of confidence defeating Poliwrath in process.

    On several times she tried to help psyduck to learn to swim and utilize his true power, but every attempt resulted in failure still not knowing how to solve this issue having to learn more herself as trainer. However despite this even though she can annoy her sometimes, she started to deeply care for him since Kanto.
    When Luvdisc fallen in love with Daisy Luvdisc she encouraged him to go forward and admit his own feelings and fight for her, giving him advice how to make water gun more precise and effective in chronicles when kidnapped by Butch and Cassidy.
    Etc, etc.

    However with this statement i didn't only meant she tried to overcome only flaws of her own pokemon and water type in general due to vulnerability to some other types, but tried to overcome her own flaws too.

    Yes she specifically said several times how she wants to become best water trainer in world viewing Lorelei from E4 as her idol admiring her skills, wanting to become like her one day.

    Misty's one and only major character change was getting Togepi and mellowing (Read: Became boring.) out. That was it, she never showed any "significant growth" and certainly never "whenever she got screentime".
    I presume it was awhile since you watched episodes when Misty was part of show, but this is anything but true.
    She started out as short tempered girl exploding over everything trying to cover up her insecurities with temper always being in older sisters shadow having to prove herself to everyone,with time gradually growing in more mature and level headed with various sides of her personality(beside only temper) being explored more while still being quirky. Because of starting to mature she started to appreciate more her friendship with Ash and Brock viewing them as new family, being especially hard for her to split up at end of Johto. She also managed to gain sisters respect and get over complex of feeling less worthy compared to Daisy and others helping Sakura to deal better with same issue,get over Gyarados fear growing in more self confident and tough character who knew how to take care of herself and cope with responsibility while advancing as trainer as well(biggest step forward probably being top 8 in Whirl Cup).
    Togepi along with friends only helped Misty to open up herself toward others not being so much defensive and impatient, with time growing in more mature and levelheaded character.

    Which didn't made her any less interesting, unless you only found slapstick humor which was part of series until early second half of Kanto when Misty smacked people heads as "only interesting trait" about her. There was much more to it to Misty character with most people enjoying in her girly side, passionate love for hobbies and dreams, hotheaded side, tendency to tease, fact that she was outspoken, determined and perky while also showing that she can be very caring and compassionate too being one of character qualities.

    Which was positive growth becoming stronger as trainer and person, more confident in her own abilities and learning how to better cope with responsibility while keeping her enjoyable traits .

    If maturity equals boring, should we also say same for Ash and May for example when maturing in Hoenn becoming "uninteresting" once they grew as characters?
    Because Misty was anything but boring, being one of few characters in this show which stayed equally interesting after maturity .

    Most character highlights, growth and interesting moments happened after Kanto so im not sure what your trying to prove in here.


    Please let me know the episode where Misty connected on a closer level to Staryu, because I sure as hell don't remember it. Provide me with an episode name and what scenes you believe show her "connecting" with Staryu.
    One of examples were when she battled with Staryu against Ash for Totodile after lose, apologizing to him because of pushing him that much in battle wanting to win at all costs. Staryu showed(as far as pokemon without facial characteristics can)how he understands his trainer and vice versa always trying his best to not let her down being revealed tight bond between trainer and pokemon.

    Same can be noticed with Poliwhirl when helping him to regain his confidence trying his best to not let her down.


    The Gym is certainly a step in the right direction. How else would you suggest she develops in the incredibly vague goal of "Water Pokemon Master"? Right now, I'm reading that as "Strong Trainer who uses only Water Pokemon".
    So let me get this straight, leaving Cerulean gym to pursue goal of becoming water master just to be forced to later go back to it ending up at gym again is "step in right direction"? What was point in leaving gym in first place than? That doesn't make any sense.

    Her goal as it was showed in original series is similar to Ash requiring traveling,meeting strong trainers,exploring new regions and learn about pokemon in wild along with advancing it through tournaments/competitions.
    It was established in original series how title of water master means becoming best water trainer in world which has power to understand sea creatures and use them to full potential,being recognized and respected among all water trainers worldwide. For same reason Whirl Cup was introduced as one of such competitions where you can gain more experience,make step forward and prove yourself to others.
    Being water master means being one of strongest water trainers in world(which Misty several times stated), which is basically being on E4 level since they are best one type trainers.

    Lastly with Whirl Cup which Misty entered in Johto, it was revealed how there exist tasks someone needs to enter in order to advance this dream .
    Every gym leader which became something more like Wallace, Koga, Cilan, Fantina etc leave gyms to travel and gain more experience because at gym you cant learn enough with constant battles against rookies and medium trainers which are needed to be test out, not giving you enough experience. By traveling Misty can improve more and come closer toward goal than at gym she ever could.For same reason anyone who stayed at gym for whole life never became something more.Being all the time at one place not being able to explore world and gain more knowledge can only get you so far after your strength start stagnating.

    So yes, if she wants to rank up as trainer like other gym leaders in past did traveling to develop new battle style and gain more experience by entering tournaments and learning from stronger trainers is best way to do this.


    She was like that in Kanto and that's pretty much it. People place far too much emphasis on "the original trio's dynamic" but that really only existed in the original series. Johto might as well have been a different group entirely.
    First of all Johto is part of original series too, with first five seasons being titled as Pocket Monsters series.
    Also when it comes to Misty interactions and chemistry with cast she was like that during Orange Islands, Johto and AG generation when appeared too. She provided humor, tension and dynamic interaction between characters with her vivid personality with sarcastic remarks, temper and witty comments adding extra flavor to group serving as counter balance to Ash naivety and Brock obsession with girls making interactions better. It is generally agreed how Misty was at her best in Kanto, Orange Islands, second half of Johto and in Hoenn.

    Also original trio had great interaction between themselves too. We all know AMB trio was neglected at times in that region with too much emphasis being put on fillers and cotd from which no one benefit but that doesn't diminish appeal and playful dynamic this cast had, truly feeling like real group of friends which had fun traveling together when actually center of attention was focused on them.
    Ash became less impulsive starting to mature while still showing to have that appeal of clueless and naive small boy. Misty opened up more to Ash and Brock becoming closer as friend which was best showed when parting of in GLC affecting her greatly. While still being cynical liking to tease them on frequent basis,being stubborn wanting to do things her own way, liking to compete with Ash proving that shes better and passionate about her hobbies falling for cute things having that charm of naive, little girl. For example i remember she became obsessed with Teddiursa in one of episodes being deceived by its cuteness taking over her side. Brock didn't changed much but he was still womanizer being eccentric as character contributing to humor and fun character interaction giving occasionally advice to Ash still acting along with Misty as his mentor from who Ash learned new things and how to stay out of trouble.

    Perhaps best evidence to close bond this cast had was in "Gotta Catch Ya Later" with Misty clearly being upset about leaving group being on verge of tears, Brock tried to pretend like nothing is happening but it was showed how he was anything but indifferent while Ash was visibly shaken by his two best friends at that time leaving him, bursting out in tears. Seriously, im not sure how can anyone even try to deny dynamic original trio had in Johto with Ash, Misty and Brock to this day pretty much having most genuine and interesting chemistry out of all groups.

    But like they say image tells thousands words, so perhaps its best that you rewatch Johto and some of episodes where Misty was in to judge yourself if Misty had good chemistry with cast or not.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 10th July 2012 at 06:48 AM.
    Angel~ likes this.

  15. #135
    Valuan Admiral Alfonso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    but Misty didn't needed that much screen time to become quickly accepted and popular
    Okay, so Misty was popular. I'm not disputing that, so were all the characters back then - it was Pokemon in the height of its fad! It's not exactly an impressive feat to be "popular" and "accepted" when there are no alternatives or prior expectations to live up to.

    touching back story, character development where she grew as person and trainer she received usually being of high quality allowing people to relate to her being rather complex as character having multiple personality sides and motivations to her.
    How in the world was she complex? "Tough girl with a softer side that softens up over time" isn't complex, it's a character archetype. Let's be honest here for a second, we all enjoy Pokemon but it's not exactly a masterpiece or a shining example of excellent writing or characteri

    Like when she flirted with Danny in OI causing in Ash jealousy of being ignored serving as motivation to try best in passing gym tests,
    I really hope you're not one of those people who thinks she did that on purpose in order to motivate Ash.

    I don't remember any of girls getting everyone out of sunk ship, getting Ash and co out of forest when they got lost(for example in Hoot Hoot episode where she became friends with owl pokemon), disguised herself trying to get Ash and Brock pout of jail, ,managed to convince Tentacruel and Tentacuel from stopping to destroy town, saved people lives on several occasions(Ash twice, Tracey once, sister of gym leader Rudy, took care of sick Brock in Johto etc list goes on). She played more of classical heroine role than other girls did influencing more along with Brock Ash growth as trainer and always fighting for the weak helping them to stand up for themselves.
    If you check my post again you'll see that I wasn't talking about the other girls. I actually said:

    All of the cast has been involved in helping and/or saving people's lives. That's generally what Ash's group does in non-Gym, non-Contest, non-training episodes. What exactly makes Misty so special out of the group?
    I'm not sure how you took "all of the cast" as "the other girls". The point I was making is that helping people out either emotionally or if they are in danger is pretty much what Ash and co. do on a regular basis. The main gist of countless episodes of Pokemon is that they find someone or something in trouble and stick about to help them out. Misty isn't unique in that fact.

    I will agree that she put herself at risk in a number of situations, but so did Ash. It's part of the deal of being a hero in a kid's show.

    It was, watch Whirl Cup episodes or episodes focusing on Misty in Kanto, OI or Johto. It was stated how it means becoming best water trainer in world being explained in Whirl Islands by prof. Elm how winner of water tournament gets title "Alpha Omega of water types"being one of tasks water master in past accomplished showing how there exist competitions and tests someone needs to pass just like coordinators or trainer like Ash do to prove their worth as trainers.
    I think you are overestimating the importance of The Whirl Cup. While it's certainly a step in the right direction for any trainer specialising in Water type Pokemon, it's just one competition. Winning it doesn't make you a Water Pokemon Master, especially considering that it had zero entry requirements other than "own a Water Pokemon". If Ash had won, would have have made him a Water Pokemon Master by default?

    As it stands, "Water Pokemon Master" was a vague concept that served only as an introduction line from Misty to new people she met. Entering a handful of competitions didn't really advance that goal that much and were pretty much forgotten about as soon as they were finished. That includes the Whirl Cup.

    She should have spent more time actually training her Pokemon. Half of the time all we saw was the same old Water Gun or Tackle. Why did we never see her attempt to better her Pokemon and have them learn more exotic techniques? She had a primary candidate in Psyduck as a Pokemon she could have spent some real time improving, but she always seemed to give up incredbily quickly.

    I presume it was awhile since you watched episodes when Misty was part of show, but this is anything but true.
    No, I've seen a fair number of the older episodes (Kanto/OI/Johto) quite recently and I'm currently watching through Kanto again. I can see what you're trying to do however - suggest that my memory is playing up and Misty actually remained incredibly interesting throughout her time in the series.

    She started out as short tempered girl exploding over everything trying to cover up her insecurities with temper always being in older sisters shadow having to prove herself to everyone,with time gradually growing in more mature and level headed with various sides of her personality(beside only temper) being explored more while still being quirky.
    I think you're adding too much of a positive spin to her "development", although I'm glad we're on the same page in regards to her temper cooling down. While I think it's a bad thing and see it as her becoming dull, you see it as her becoming "mature".

    Togepi along with friends only helped Misty to open up herself toward others not being so much defensive and impatient, with time growing in more mature and levelheaded character.
    Did we really want to see a more mature and level headed Misty, though? Part of her charm was that she was rough around the edges and abrasive - when she lost that, she didn't really have much of a character to speak of. She went from being a tangy, spicy sauce to mayonaise.

    If maturity equals boring, should we also say same for Ash and May for example when maturing in Hoenn becoming "uninteresting" once they grew as characters?
    Perhaps that is the problem with character development in Pokemon - "maturing" seems to be the only option. Wouldn't it have been fair more interesting if Ash had become more abrasive and cocky to go with his new tan and fairly good placing in the Johto League? They would never do that as he's the hero of a kid's show (Other than the token "character needs to be knocked down a peg or two" episodes.) but it's interesting prospect.

    Because Misty was anything but boring, being one of few characters in this show which stayed equally interesting after maturity
    Since it's been thrown at me, allow me to throw it back. Subjective.

    One of examples were when she battled with Staryu against Ash for Totodile after lose, apologizing to him because of pushing him that much in battle wanting to win at all costs. Staryu showed(as far as pokemon without facial characteristics can)how he understands his trainer and vice versa always trying his best to not let her down being revealed tight bond between trainer and pokemon.
    Sounds like a fairly throw away scene with little to no implication on the plot or any of her further interactions with Staryu. It wasn't exactly the most deep human/Pokemon relationship, let's face it.

    So let me get this straight, leaving Cerulean gym to pursue goal of becoming water master just to be forced to later go back to it ending up at gym again is "step in right direction"? What was point in leaving gym in first place than? That doesn't make any sense.
    In leaving the gym she gained her independance from her sisters who, as you've said previously in this thread, cast a fairly large shadow. She was able to return a more "mature and level-headed individual" who was more suited to being the Gym Leader than she was when she left. If I put more stock into the writers, I'd say that that was the eventual goal of her character development.

    By traveling Misty can improve more and come closer toward goal than at gym she ever could.For same reason anyone who stayed at gym for whole life never became something more.Being all the time at one place not being able to explore world and gain more knowledge can only get you so far after your strength start stagnating.
    I would agree with your point about her travelling, but only if it was without Ash. She spent far too long tagging along after him. Only by focusing on her goals alone in a much more personal journey will she achieve anything significant.

    First of all Johto is part of original series too, with first five seasons being titled as Pocket Monsters series.
    Please don't try and get smart with me. You know EXACTLY what I mean when I say "original series", I shouldn't have to spell it out every single time. But, if you insist, I was refering to Kanto, aka The Indigo League, aka The First 80 Episodes, aka The Series That Wasn't Orange Islands or Johto.

    It is generally agreed how Misty was at her best in Kanto, Orange Islands, second half of Johto and in Hoenn.
    Well the fanbase sure has changed a lot, because I recall it being generally agreed that Misty was at her best in Kanto and maybe Orange Islands due to the romance angle she had going on with Ash.

    Seriously, im not sure how can anyone even try to deny dynamic original trio had in Johto with Ash, Misty and Brock to this day pretty much having most genuine and interesting chemistry out of all groups.
    I'm not sure how anyone can even try to deny that the "dynamic original trio" (Which I enjoyed in Kanto.) became boring and stale by the time Johto rolled around. Everyone was excited when Orange Islands ended and Brock came back, but as it stands we were left disappointed. It wasn't the same. It wasn't because it was "different" in Johto, it was just plain boring.
    Caseydia and Hidden Mew like this.
    I stream Pokémon episodes and movies at least once a week, follow @PKMNProfessor on Twitter to receive updates on when I'm streaming! (I also tweet any interesting Pokemon based news stories, facts and what I'm currently doing in-game.)

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •