Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show? - Page 6

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 221
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

  1. #76
    eat
    eat is offline
    Registered User eat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    313

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    Yes, in Kanto and Orange Islands. Then they went to Johto and then all she did there was say boring shit like, "blah blah blah blah, right Togepi?" and nobody wants to see that.

  2. #77
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Gypsy View Post
    Yes, in Kanto and Orange Islands. Then they went to Johto and then all she did there was say boring shit like, "blah blah blah blah, right Togepi?" and nobody wants to see that.
    I watched Johto at least 3 times and from what i noticed Misty wasnt much different like she was in Kanto and Orange being anything but just "Togepi placeholder"still being quirky and vivid as character having several achievements there.

    What i appreciated and liked was that she actually received little more screen time in Johto than she did in Orange or Kanto.She entered more competitions,did something big about her goal like entering Whirl Cup,won Seaking contest,battled unofficial gym leader along with several other trainers out there,showed dedication and passionate love toward water types in many occasions like when she saved Marill bonding with it or explaining why she likes water pokemon so much,helped save group couple of times contributing to resolution of plot in several episodes like she get them out of forest in Hoot,Hoot episode,helped to save Pikachu and Togepi from giant TR tank,took care of sick Brock trying to cook,helped to solve clue about Gilgarman etc as well some of her pokemon receiving some character development and action screen time like Poliwhirl or Corsola for example giving more variety to her team.

    She also had many memorable moments with Ash and Brock character liking to tease and provoke them being possessive at times while at same time providing great deal of moral support and encouragement to them.Like when she encouraged Brock to go after girl he likes,tried to get him out of Ninetales trans,argued with Ash having several clashes with him(when battling over Totodile,getting lost in woods,entering water tournament etc,etc)along with providing humor and good dynamic with her sarcasm and smart alec jokes replacing slapstick humor and more violent tone she used back in Kanto days along with having great interacting and chemistry with various othr characters(like Sakura,Egan,Dorian,Marcell,Andreas etc).

    Another thing i noticed about Misty character in that region was that she also showed great deal of interest in catching several pokmon types with hr tendency of falling on romance and cut things coming to expression.Like when she tried to catch Quegsire,Chinchau,Teddiursa,Marill etc.
    I also liked way she started to develop over time becoming more mature and level headed as character while still being quirky getting over her complex of inferiority caused by older sisters,starting to improve skills as water trainer connecting on closer level with her pokemon which can be noticed in special bond she created with Staryu as well helping her pokemon to get over their flaws(like Poliwhirl which had confidence issues when being bullied by Andras Poliwrath),along with doing some steps forward in her carer of becoming water master.

    Misty in reality actually battled more,had more character centric episodes and did more than she did in past two regions getting some good character development in Johto series.

    It wasnt enough and she certainly didnt received enough development and focus for a region which lasted for 150 episodes with lot of potential being left untapped but she still had some great focus in there.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 20th September 2011 at 07:12 AM.
    Cascada likes this.

  3. #78
    I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Hidden Land
    Posts
    1,423

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    I watched Johto at least 3 times and from what i noticed Misty wasnt much different like she was in Kanto and Orange being anything but just "Togepi placeholder"still being quirky and vivid as character having several achievements there.
    Well, I guess in the end this is just a matter of personal preference. I thought that Togepi sucked all the life-force out of her once the Johto Plot Drought began, you didn't. But I still think that once she got Topegi that became her thing- Ash's was being a hot-blooded battler, Brock hit on most women he met, TR was incompetent, and Misty... carried around an egg.

    What i appreciated and liked was that she actually received little more screen time in Johto than she did in Orange or Kanto.She entered more competitions,did something big about her goal like entering Whirl Cup,won Seaking contest,battled unofficial gym leader along with several other trainers out there,showed dedication and passionate love toward water types in many occasions like when she saved Marill bonding with it or explaining why she likes water pokemon so much,helped save group couple of times contributing to resolution of plot in several episodes like she get them out of forest in Hoot,Hoot episode,helped to save Pikachu and Togepi from giant TR tank,took care of sick Brock trying to cook,helped to solve clue about Gilgarman etc as well some of her pokemon receiving some character development and action screen time like Poliwhirl or Corsola for example giving more variety to her team.
    Unfortunately, that was pretty much all filler. Of all the things she did of overall importance in Johto, including Whirl Cup, Silver Conference, and overall Number and co. TR plot, all she participated in was the Whirl Cup and get mad at that one girl who liked Ash. Not to mention that her personality became ultra-wooden once Johto hit: she was always like a piece of scenery who might say a handful of generic lines and never anything else. Only in a handful of Johto episodes did her actual personality appear, and not just the angry one. Maybe it's telling that plenty of people can remember her in Kanto and Kanto: The Filler Islands, but not in Johto, which featured her for longer with more episodes in the limelight that should've logically given her more focus and more character development, but didn't.

    She also had many memorable moments with Ash and Brock character liking to tease and provoke them
    Sounds like Kanto and OI to me, more than anything.

    being possessive at times while at same time providing great deal of moral support and encouragement to them.Like when she encouraged Brock to go after girl he likes,tried to get him out of Ninetales trans,argued with Ash having several clashes with him(when battling over Totodile,getting lost in woods,entering water tournament etc,etc)along with providing humor and good dynamic with her sarcasm and smart alec jokes replacing slapstick humor and more violent tone she used back in Kanto days along with having great interacting and chemistry with various othr characters(like Sakura,Egan,Dorian,Marcell,Andreas etc).
    I can't remember any of those people or the "great interacting and chemistry" they had with Misty. They just weren't that memorable. I will admit that occasionally she gave encouragement and support.

    Another thing i noticed about Misty character in that region was that she also showed great deal of interest in catching several pokmon types with hr tendency of falling on romance and cut things coming to expression.Like when she tried to catch Quegsire,Chinchau,Teddiursa,Marill etc.
    I recall her romantic moments being OI.

    I also liked way she started to develop over time becoming more mature and level headed as character while still being quirky getting over her complex of inferiority caused by older sisters,starting to improve skills as water trainer connecting on closer level with her pokemon which can be noticed in special bond she created with Staryu as well helping her pokemon to get over their flaws(like Poliwhirl which had confidence issues when being bullied by Andras Poliwrath),along with doing some steps forward in her carer of becoming water master.
    As helpful as it is to carry around a Normal-type Pokémon that evolves into a Normal/Flying bird to her quest, I don't really think she made much progress. She didn't get Totodile, she had one evolution, she left behind Starmie, etc. Of course, that's left over baggage from Kanto.

    (What special bond? All she ever had was Psyduck and Togepi.)

    Misty in reality actually battled more,had more character centric episodes and did more than she did in past two regions getting some good character development in Johto series.
    Yes to all except the final bit. I don't think she really ever developed; not like Ash, May, Dawn, etc., and not even as much as Gary or Ash in their Kanto-Johto arcs.

    It wasnt enough and she certainly didnt received enough development and focus for a region which lasted for 150 episodes with lot of potential being left untapped but she still had some great focus in there.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

    Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

    WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

    Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

    Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

  4. #79
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith Droideka View Post
    Well, I guess in the end this is just a matter of personal preference. I thought that Togepi sucked all the life-force out of her once the Johto Plot Drought began, you didn't. But I still think that once she got Topegi that became her thing- Ash's was being a hot-blooded battler, Brock hit on most women he met, TR was incompetent, and Misty... carried around an egg.
    Except Misty was still full of life in Johto as well and i didnt noticed any decline in her personality during that region.Also Togepi argument doesnt sound very valid to me,because last time i check Misty had him in Kanto and OI as well and yet i dont see anyone complaining over it.

    In Johto second most active character not counting Ash was Misty with Brock as usual receiving the least.Her role during that saga was still to act like Ash mentor and coach along with Brock giving him advices when it comes to battling(like when she warned him about ground types being weak vs ice types when he was about to battle Pryce,suggesting him to use water types against Macy in Johto league,use Kingler in Whirl Cup etc).Granted she didnt coached him as much like she did in Kanto since Ash was already experienced not needing so much help in that aspect but she also gave him encouragement and moral support to serve as motivation to go forward.

    Her role in Johto was also provided humor and contribute to good character dynamic by acting like someone who would balance out Ash impulsiveness and naivety and Brocks obsession over girls with her spunky, and timid personality being quit snarky and possessive on several occasions giving identity to group..

    She was a lot more active as battler in compared to Kanto and Oi islands getting some character development and doing progress toward her goal of water master.

    So in all honesty Misty did a lot more than just standing in background holding Togepi in Johto still being full of character.I guess i either watched different version of Johto or several things she did in there were forgotten about.

    Ill give you how in Johto Journeys and League champions there wasnt done much with character but Master Quest actually gave her decent amount of focus getting character back on right track.In that season she got whole arc for herself(Whirl Islands),she catch Corsola,,her Poliwhirl evolved,she played some role in TR plots,battled more actively instead of participating only in TR blast offs,received some character development in getting over complex of feeling less worthy being active in several episodes having man memorable interactions with other characters with character being more vivid personality wise considering how she wasnt standing on sidelines so much like it was case before.

    Reason is because writers started to do improvements correcting some of previous mistakes they did.

    Unfortunately, that was pretty much all filler. Of all the things she did of overall importance in Johto, including Whirl Cup, Silver Conference, and overall Number and co. TR plot, all she participated in was the Whirl Cup and get mad at that one girl who liked Ash.
    Not at all,Whirl Cup wasnt filler because it expanded on her goal of water master doing something about it.Episodes like "Some like it Hot"or "For Crying out Loud"werent fillers because it expanded on Misty preference toward water types explaining from where her love for them comes along with managing to establish close connection with water pokemon showing more of her confident side giving her some quality character development.
    Episodes like "Corsola Caper","I Politoad Ya So","Totodile Duel"etc werent fillers because she either catch pokemon or some of them evolved.

    Aside from this episodes and things i prior to this mentioned Misty did many other things like contributing to resolution of TR plot when she helped battling them in Red Gyarados or Lugia arc,helping Tammy and Politoad to reestablish bond between trainer and pokemon,helping James and Meowth to reunite with Jessie,returned along with Ash kidnapped Igglybuff to Britanny,established several friendships or rivalries bonding with various characters like Marcellus helping them to gt over their problems,etc,etc,etc.List continues.

    Not to mention that her personality became ultra-wooden once Johto hit: she was always like a piece of scenery who might say a handful of generic lines and never anything else. Only in a handful of Johto episodes did her actual personality appear, and not just the angry one.
    Lack of screen time=/=affecting quality of someone personality.
    Misty stood on sidelines saying for whole episode only few lines in several episodes during Kanto and Orange Islands as well well being case with every character when he isnt center of attention.Your point?

    If character isnt playing some role in episode nor getting focus he isnt having opportunity to interact with other characters and display his traits.How active character will be and will he interact with others depends on amount of focus he receives in episode.
    Whenever Misty got some screen time in Johto or played some role no matter how minor it was she showed plenty of characterization being very lively and quirky as character having lot of personality in Johto as well and this didnt happened only in few episodes as i mentioned later down the post..

    In Johto we can still see Misty being full of competitive streak having that fire in her whenever she battled or entered tournaments of some sort(like when entering Whirl Cup,battling Ash,Andreas,Sakura etc),we can see her dedication and passionate love toward water types and their training which can be noticed in way she bonded with wild Marill in "For Crying Out Loud",having several attempts of trying to catch various pokemon like Corsola,Quagsire,Chinchau etc.She was still playful and sarcastic liking to tease and provoke Brock about girls and Ash about his training style and naivety along with several other various characters.She still had her quirks and fears from Gyarados and bugs,she was still romantic liking to give advices about it while falling herself for various cute pokemon etc.

    Misty in Johto in terms of character was very similar to Kanto and Orange.Only notable difference was that she used temper less often with other sides of character being explored more becoming more confident and sarcastic not going crazy over every little thing.

    Now some may not like how her character developed,but that doesnt mean she didnt had personality in Johto because she clearly did showing it often.

    Maybe it's telling that plenty of people can remember her in Kanto and Kanto: The Filler Islands, but not in Johto, which featured her for longer with more episodes in the limelight that should've logically given her more focus and more character development, but didn't.
    Many people who stopped watching show somewhere at start of Johto and later got into pokemon never watched this saga and several of those who did dont remember much what happened there considering how it was long time ago last time they watched it.

    Sounds like Kanto and OI to me, more than anything.
    Not really.She teased and provoke Ash and Brock in several occasions during Johto as well.Like when she argued with Ash when battling for Totodil,when they entered Whirl Cup trying to portray herself as better battler,several times when thy got lost in forest like in episodes "Illusion Confusion" or "Clear as Crystal".
    One of examples which comes to my mind were when Brock got sick with Ash and her having to take care of everything with conflict arising between them or when she teased and tricked Ash in wearing costume of Octillery to help Marcellus about problem with his pokemon.
    Or when she teased Ash on several occasions about his battling skills like in competition about extinguishing fire or when their food was stolen by wild pokemon like Houndour or Teddiursa.

    She often cam up with snarky comments and jokes when it comes to Brock and girls like it was case with Temaku,dr.Anna,Mason etc.which didnt always stayed on just pulling him by ear.
    If this examples arent enough i can list plenty of more.

    While in ,Kanto Misty used to more argue and use slapstic humor in Johto this was replaced with smart alec jokes and more sarcasm being used from her side adding for some great humor and memorable moments in several episodes.

    I can't remember any of those people or the "great interacting and chemistry" they had with Misty. They just weren't that memorable. I will admit that occasionally she gave encouragement and support.
    Perhaps you might want to rewatch some episodes because there were plenty of moments where Misty had memorable interacting and good chemistry.Like when she teased Brock about girls making sure to have him stay out of trouble sharing tips about romance.Some examples which comes to my mind were for example in "Heartbreak of Brock"when sh was irritated with his passiveness encouraging him and forcing to do first step or when he met dr.Anna in Zubat castle trying to give him support.Or when showing great deal of concern when he was sick taking car with Ash about him and his pokemon trying to cook,trying to take him out of Ninetales trans and save it etc.

    Same with Ash with who she aside from arguing had several clashes having tendency to playfully tease him and be stubborn when striving for same thing.Like it was case when they both wanted mystic water pendant with clash being invoked between them,when she got annoyed with his attitude toward Marcellus or care free attitude when they often got lost or when he thought how he will just breeze through grass tournament in end losing to kid and Skiplum being quite cynical.Or when she started giggling and blushing when Ash made compliment which wasnt directed toward her like "in Snubull Snubbry"episode or when others complimented her skills as water trainer.Or when she showed great deal of concern when he went to save Lugia and storm was raging out tc.

    She also had memorable interactions with several other characters in Johto.
    .Like in "Hook,line and Stinker" when she argued with Andreas getting on her nerves by end of episode learning his respect and proving how her Poliwhirl isnt weakling.Episodes about Sakura and kimono sisters where she established great friendship helping her to deal with problems with older siblings experiencing same situation herself having something to which they could relate."Joy of Water Pokemon"where Misty dreamed of having her water pokemon examined by famous nurse Joy just to have her dreams crushed when finding out that she hates them with more of her emotional and adamant side was showed and how passionate she really is about them.
    "Some like it Hot"where she argued with fire trainer Egan about her skills as water trainer during course of episode managing to establish good friendship and giving him advices which helped him in catching Macargo along with revealing from where her love for water comes.
    "Just Add Water"where she got in clash with Dorian wanting to prove being better than Daisy,Violet and Lily are.
    "Forest Grumps"where group got split because of Ursaring attack being paired up with Jams and Meowth having hilarious chemistry together having to make truce and unite their strength to find Jessie,Ash and Brock.
    List goes on.

    I recall her romantic moments being OI.
    Misty showed plenty of times her girly side in Johto as well.Like when group went to ninja camp in "Ariados Amigos" to learn some techniques which could help them in battling with Misty rather choosing to go on beauty treatment to make her skin more soft by using Spinarak silk(didnt knew she would encounter bugs prior to that though).When she was fascinated about Lily use of magic in "Hocus pokmon"starting to fangirl.When she went crazy over cute pokemon like Snubull or Teddiursa becoming blinded by teddy greed side accusing Totodile and other group pokemon unfairly being completely possessive over it,along with completely being in clouds when she met various other pokemon like Corsola,Chinchau or Marill.
    Or when she got touched by Jenaro love toward Yuriko in "Ho-Ho Silver Away"for example trying to help him to get over there and confess what he feels.

    As helpful as it is to carry around a Normal-type Pokémon that evolves into a Normal/Flying bird to her quest, I don't really think she made much progress. She didn't get Totodile, she had one evolution, she left behind Starmie, etc. Of course, that's left over baggage from Kanto.
    In Johto Misty skills as water trainer vastly improved doing steps forward with her goal coming top 8 in Whirl Cup or winning Seaking contest, battling sevral trainers.She also showed improvement as trainer through quick thinking and ability to adapt to unfavorable situation showing great deal of knowledge and skill when using strategy like when her Staryu was able to turn things in its favor being on pair with Molly Mantine,or when she fared better in battle against Dorian than Ash did when they find themselves in different environment.

    As series went on Misty was recognized as skilled by several trainers like Marina,Trinity,Andreas,Keita,Dorian,Sakura etc with her battling skills being considerably improved at end of Johto compared to early Kanto days growing in better trainer and having several achievements.

    Misty also received some notable character development learning how to be more patient and tolerant at end of Johto growing in fairly rounded character becoming more mature and level headed along with various sides of her personality being explored like sarcasm,girly side,passionate love and dedication toward battling and water types,spunk,her witty side etc.
    This can be noticed in way she interacted with several other characters like Sakura,Egan,Dorian etc becoming mature enough to get over her complex of inferiority caused by sisters not being bothered much about it helping Sakura how to deal with her older siblings for example as well being over course of Johto willing to admit hr own mistakes and take criticism in much better manner compared to early days.Which is testament to character growth.

    (What special bond? All she ever had was Psyduck and Togepi.)
    She also managed to connect on closer level with her other pokemon like Staryu or Poliwhirl.This can be noticed in presence of special bond between Misty and Staryu being showed how much she cared for him whenever he got hurt or defeated when too much was asked from him as well making sure to polish and keep him in top form which was noticed by other trainers.We can see that for example in "Totodile Duel"when Misty apologized to Staryu for pushing him too hard in battle with her pokemon being aware of her feelings.
    Or with Poliwhirl who didnt wanted to let her down with Misty always believing in his abilities making sure to not ask more than he can provide.Like when he had confidence issue being bullied by Andras Poliwrath encouraging him to believe in itself helping to restore self-esteem back managing to turn match in its favor beating evolved form.

    Yes to all except the final bit. I don't think she really ever developed; not like Ash, May, Dawn, etc., and not even as much as Gary or Ash in their Kanto-Johto arcs.
    I have to disagree.She managed to get over complex of feeling inferior,managed to get over fear from Gyarados and earn sisters respect,matured more as character becoming more self confident in herself and abilities as trainer going from short tempered girl who exploded over everything in blend of spunky and quirky yet more level headed and independent character as further development in hosos and cameos showed.

    She also improved her skills as trainer becoming better battler compared to Kanto days making some steps forward within her goal in Johto.As character while not enough she got some great development imo.

    Although its obvious how her character wasnt fleshed out enough with many things being left unexplored in hr story(from background,goal of water master,various flaws which surrounded her standing on way of going forward etc)with Misty never being given closure to her story having room to be developed more.

    In terms of personality i i was fine with her giving certain charm to pokemon series having many noteworthy and memorable moments for 5 years she was in but sh definitely didnt received enough being my main complaint about it.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 25th September 2011 at 05:41 AM.
    Cascada likes this.

  5. #80
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    There was nothing wrong with giving baby pokemon to Misty(after all almost every other main character got one) and only mistake being done with Togepi in my opinion was that it didnt evolved during Johto which could have been nice addition to Misty pokemon team allowing to do something worthwhile out of it becoming more active.
    You're right. There was nothing wrong in giving Misty a baby Pokemon but for her not to use it was the thing that I and I think alot of people agree with. Because if we look at Phanpy, Cyndaquil and Happiny, you will notice a greater use with them. It would have been nice if Togepi had battled, even if it was just a baby Pokemon.

  6. #81
    Registered User Cascada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Johto
    Posts
    1,461
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    @pokemon fan 132: I agree with you 100%. Everything you said about Misty was and still is valid.

    I have to disagree with those who say Misty lost her persona by Johto, due to Togepi. I definitely began to love Misty more with each episode, not because I consider myself to be a mega fan of her's, but also, I looked at her change as growth, from a hot head to a serene, nuturing, yet firm trainer.

    She is and I believe always will be my favorite Pokemon character ever because she's an original, she represented, and she's purely amazing!
    "Cause Everytime we Touch, I get this feeling, and everytime we kiss, I swear I can fly! Can't you feel my heart beat fast, I want this to last, need you by my side!"-Cascada

  7. #82
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    Pretty much true,now i can understand that some may have liked only Misty going on rampage 24/7 slapping people and having zero tolerance which fits her description in early Kanto days but there was much more to her personality than just that and she definitely didnt lost character after getting Togepi in Johto.She was still active and quirky being full of personality with taking care of baby pokemon allowing that different sides of personality come out on surface more being full of sarcasm and competitive streak,stubborn and witty,being passionate and adamant about things she likes, along with more of her girly side being showed which was nice contrast to her temper.We also get to see nurture side being explored more which was evidenced to exist when she first started taking care of Horsea back in the day.

    She went from short tempered girl which didnt had tolerance toward anything trying to cover her insecurity with temper in more mature and levelheaded character over time opening herself toward others with various sides of personality coming out on surface more aside from only temper.
    Because of starting to grow this also allowed for some great character development later on with Misty gaining sisters respect,getting over Gyarados fear,improving battling skills etc growing in tough character becoming more self confident while still having charm,humor and quirky side being passionate about battling,water pokemon,hobbies etc.

    I have to say i liked Misty equally both before and now having nice blend of spunky and playful yet more mature personality keeping enjoyable older traits while also being enriched with some new ones having nice mix of tomboyish and girly side.
    Positive thing in my book because it gives character more dimensions enriching his personality and making him in end more deep in that aspect.

    In Johto Misty story wasnt handled fine being underdeveloped,there is no denying that.But as far as personality goes she was still full of it with lack of screen time not affecting quality of it.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 1st October 2011 at 02:31 AM.

  8. #83
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
    @pokemon fan 132: I agree with you 100%. Everything you said about Misty was and still is valid.

    I have to disagree with those who say Misty lost her persona by Johto, due to Togepi. I definitely began to love Misty more with each episode, not because I consider myself to be a mega fan of her's, but also, I looked at her change as growth, from a hot head to a serene, nuturing, yet firm trainer.

    She is and I believe always will be my favorite Pokemon character ever because she's an original, she represented, and she's purely amazing!
    Misty had enough personality on her own. She didn't need the egg but she had it anyways. However, it became invisible in Johto because everytime she held it, it looked as though it was a part of her woredrobe.

    On topic: Her role stood out because of the personality they gave her. She didn't need to battle much for people not to remember her or for how great she was. And as far as Togepi is concern, it still would have been nice for Togepi to have battled more. I don't care what no one says.
    Karamazov and Sith Droideka like this.

  9. #84
    Registered User Afrojisiac-19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cerulean City, Kanto
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    I wouldn't say that having Togepi made Misty's personality 'invisible'...I think a more appropiate word would be "supressed"...Having Togepi surpressed the agressiveness in Misty's personality...It was still there...For example during Kanto before she got Togepi, if she were reminded, she would give Ash that periodical reminder that, "Hey Ash Ketchum, don't think that I've forgotten about my bike! You WILL pay me back!" It's because of having Togepi we got to see a gradual change in her personality.

    You can definitely say that having Togepi made Misty a lot more of a mature and patient person. And it would take a lot more to get her upset. Insulting Water pokemon like The Nurse Joy at Lake Lucid, who said she HATES water types, or Egan from "Some Like it Hot" or Macey (Macy Sp?) from the Silver Conference were examples of guaranteed ways to get Misty upset!

    But I guess people didn't like the gradual change in Misty's personality because she wasn't lashing out at everyone every single epsidode. But who would want that? That's the exact criticism that Iris is getting now, because people feel like she's constantly "lashing out" at Ash trying to make herself look better than him by saying "you're such a kid." That's another story. But that's the beauty of Misty's character. Her personality was dual-faced. Compare Misty's personality to that of a two-sided coin. On one side, you have the agressive Misty...The one who is completely intolerant of BS...She's bold, can get very angry, and isn't afraid to speak her mind whatsoever...Then you have the other side of the coin...That's the tender-hearted side of Misty....She's kind, calm, friendly, gentle, very mature and very patient with others...

    Because of the distinct quality of her character and how it progressed over time, Misty IMO still stands as one of the most unique characters in Pokemon to date...And I think it's unfair that she really got dealt a bad hand by the writers who didn't make full usage of her...especially when certain characters were favored, and others were viewed as being "disposable". Had Misty been given a proper sub-plot, I think the qualities of her character wouldn't be so hard to see and she'd be a lot more appreciated in my eyes.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

  10. #85
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Misty had enough personality on her own. She didn't need the egg but she had it anyways. However, it became invisible in Johto because everytime she held it, it looked as though it was a part of her woredrobe.
    I wouldnt say Misty personality became invisible.When bringing up Togepi and Misty other tendencies its often forgotten how nurture side was always part of her character.Even in early Kanto which can be best evidenced with way she took care of Horsea.

    Misty had personality in Johto which can be evidenced in several episodes and her interactions with various characters beside only Ash and Brock,like Sakura,Egan,Andreas,Dorian,Jessie and Jams etc etc.She was still quirky,flamboyant and vivid character which got some solid development growing in more mature and level headed character over time.

    Main problem was that she didnt received enough spotlight with there being too many unnecessary fillers which prevented main characters to interact and display personality traits properly taking backseat in several episodes which revolved around solving problems with COTD and their pokemon.Even Ash who is main star suffered because of this often not having chance to interact and display his personality with such type of fillers not advancing plot and character stories in any way falling in second plan.

    In Johto problem wasnt within character,but lack of required focus to allow her to flourish and get utilized properly.

    While Togepi was handled poorly,should have battle and evolve there was nothing wrong initially in giving egg to Misty.Thanks to Togepi we got to see other sides of Misty character being explored more like sarcasm,girly side,passionate love and dedication toward battling and water types,spunk,her witty and timid side etc becoming fairly rounded character feeling at end of the day more genuine and realistic.
    This was followed with further development in AG and hosos growing in more mature and responsible character over time while still being spunky,passionate and playful keeping enjoyable older traits.

    Some people may have not liked how she developed but thanks to some growth Misty was given more substance and depth developing in nice blend of old and new.
    Imo character development is not a bad thing,welcoming growth through May or Ash went as well.

    On topic: Her role stood out because of the personality they gave her. She didn't need to battle much for people not to remember her or for how great she was. And as far as Togepi is concern, it still would have been nice for Togepi to have battled more. I don't care what no one says.
    Agreed,like i said few times before reason why Misty presence could be felt in Kanto,OI and Johto with many people liking her despite not receiving a lot of battling and screen time was because of unique dreams and personality.
    She brought healthy interactions and dynamic within group having strong presence within show.She had wide range of emotions she expressed,being both temperative but also sweet inside having her girly moments.From her anger and sarcastic remarks to unselfish and caring nature being willing to help to those she cared about even if it involved risking her own life.There were several sides which often clashed with each other.With one being fierce and passionate while other sensitive and receptive bringing personal struggle to character.

  11. #86
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    It took me two years and a whole lot of second hand smoke to get Pokemon Fan to agree with any of the things I had to say about Misty.

    I still think that the writers could have turned Togepi into an actual Pokemon plot than a pot hole. I'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with training a Pokemon. Baby or not. I didn't have a problem with her role because she was strong no doubt, it's just that it seemed that more could have been done for poor Togepi.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 27th October 2011 at 03:42 PM.

  12. #87
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,327
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    I like Misty from original series when she used to act like like Tsundere toward Ash
    But Now I don't know. She started to act so sweet, kind & motherly that she doesn't seem like that cool Misty anymore
    Some people say its maturity but for their information , Misaka Mikoto (Toaru majustsu no Index) & Hinagiku Katsura (Hayate the combet butler) are Mature & responcible but they also act like Tsundere
    Last edited by Iteru; 13th November 2011 at 11:19 AM.

  13. #88
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
    I like Misty from original series when she used to act like like Tsundere toward Ash
    But Now I don't know. She started to act so sweet, kind & motherly that she doesn't seem like that cool Misty anymore
    Some people say its maturity but for their information , Misaka Mikoto (Toaru majustsu no Index) & Hinagiku Katsura (Hayate the combet butler) are Mature & responcible but they also act like Tsundere
    Misty from Hoenn last time we saw her still actually acted like tsundere,she was just little more calm and mature.We can see during chronicles and cameos her character became more responsible being filled with self esteem not being insecure in herself so much like she used to be while still being quirky,sarcastic,witty,spunky,caring etc.She is hotheaded and stubborn as well being capable of exploding when provoked enough(as some hosos and cameos when releasing Togepi showed) along with having passionate love for water and battling,but she is also more grown up as person at this point and time.

    Because of starting to mature this allowed for some great character development in my opinion with Misty overcoming some of problems like gaining sisters respect,getting over Gyarados fear etc growing in "stronger" character who knew how to take care of herself better while still having charm,her humor and witty side.
    Likewise it was noticeable in AG how Misty still likes to playfully tease Ash and pick up on him,she can still blow up being spunky,she still drags Brock away being playful and vivid etc.

    She had characteristics of tsundere and to some lesser extent arguably of kuudere type of characters.

    I guess it depends from view to view.Personally im one of those who welcomed Misty development gaining more depth and substance as character while keeping her persona base and quirks which made her likeable in first place.Main difference from early days is that she isnt so much short-fused anymore learning how to be more patient and control her explosive side in better manner.Though if you push her buttons,you better watch.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 13th November 2011 at 12:38 PM.

  14. #89
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
    I like Misty from original series when she used to act like like Tsundere toward Ash
    But Now I don't know. She started to act so sweet, kind & motherly that she doesn't seem like that cool Misty anymore
    Some people say its maturity but for their information , Misaka Mikoto (Toaru majustsu no Index) & Hinagiku Katsura (Hayate the combet butler) are Mature & responcible but they also act like Tsundere
    What? Just because she's nicer doesn't mean her personality was ruined. It made her better I think. Besides, Ash got a little better when he was in AG and so was Brock compared to Johto. So it made sense for her to change a little.

  15. #90
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,663
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

    I never liked her. She was way too bossy and if it was actually ACTUALLY canon that she had a crush on Ash, the show would've been much better.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •