Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show? - Page 4

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

Like most of the characters, I enjoyed Misty throughout the show. She was a good character.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When the anime passed the 700th episode mark recently, I just realized how Misty is only in roughly 40% of the shows total eps now. She was only a main character for 275 eps out of a now 700 ep series.

While she made her mark on the series, its actually quite shocking to realize just how long the show has gone on after she left and how now she was there for such a short time comparably. She didn't even make it to the mid-point of the series, and Brock outlasted her by another 400 something episodes. You can arguably say now that Misty was a short-lived character in pokemon. Because even though 5 years originally seemed like a long time, now its no longer the case as the show has gone on for 9 years afterward.

I enjoyed her in Kanto/Orange at least, when it felt like the writers cared about characterization.

I can say a lot for Misty, as she is a favourite character of mine from the whole Pokemon franchise. But to save a lot of needless typing - yes, I liked her role. Even all the shipping hints. xD

I think her goals and ambitions were left rather vague, and they could have been focused on more, especially in the Johto saga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayde View Post
    "OH HOT DAMN! LOOK AT THAT FUCKING BELL! IT'S SMALL AND CUTE AND HAS A FUCKING RIBBON ON IT'S FUCKING HEAD! BACK THIS PARTY VAN UP! I GOTTA CATCH THAT SHIT!!"

Blog Entries

So if Misty had a good role on the show, then how did the show go on without her for 9 years with any other female protagonist in her place?

Doesn't it make it seem like Misty's role was downplayed if she could be dropped as quickly and easily as she was and the show could continue on for 550+ episodes as if she was never there in the first place?

While you can say the same for any other character that left, Misty was the first one, so she was the one parts of the early show was designed around.

Would anyone care to explain?

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    I enjoyed her in Kanto/Orange at least, when it felt like the writers cared about characterization.
    In my opinion Misty had great characterization in Johto too.I liked how writers showed different sides of her in that region which was nice change of pace from usual outbursts of violence in early Kanto.She was spunky but less violent in getting her message across,showing other sides of her(from being girly and obsessive over water types to have tendency to fall sometimes naively for cute things)along with teasing coming in form of sarcasm being used more instead of temper which provided nice balance to her aggressive side starting to sporadically mature.
    Being neglected and deprived of proper screen time was one thing but whenever she got focus in Johto her vivacious and spunky personality made Johto episodes really worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    So if Misty had a good role on the show, then how did the show go on without her for 9 years with any other female protagonist in her place?

Doesn't it make it seem like Misty's role was downplayed if she could be dropped as quickly and easily as she was and the show could continue on for 550+ episodes as if she was never there in the first place?

While you can say the same for any other character that left, Misty was the first one, so she was the one parts of the early show was designed around.

Would anyone care to explain?
    It is quite simple actually.While Misty was and still is good character being very important during certain era of pokemon that doesnt change the fact how this show is treated as one giant marketing tool in order to promote new games.
    Reason why writers like to replace girl protagonists in this show is also because of wanting to provide new "eye candy" so to speak with each new generation of pokemon for male audience rather wanting to focus on new girls as it was already explained in interview with mr.Hidaka.

It doesnt matter how much character is popular or how much impact he left on this show because at the end of the day all of them are replaceable not being immune to it(except Ash).
    Misty could have been kept theoretically past Johto having popularity and enough potential as character but nature of this show and formula simply didnt allowed for that.

That being said while in terms of storyline and her goals writers didnt handled everything well what they did very good was Mistys characterization and chemistry with other characters in group keeping them together with her colorful and vivacious personality which contributing largely to feel of original trio feeling like close group of friends who knew each other well.I also liked her transformation as character she went through,going from short tempered girl to more mature and confident character gradually developing over time while keeping her enjoyable traits with chronicles and cameos capturing that well.

However i wish that her story and goal of becoming water master was expanded more with Misty being involved in more battles as well her character being fleshed out more with more insight being given in past and events which served as motivation behind some of her decisions(like what influenced her dedication and desire to train only water types wanting to become best with them) with everything being left largely unexplored.This sadly resulted in Misty story never being given any real closure with many things being left unanswered.

But as far as character goes imo she had great development and had good chunk of notable achievements and battles playing important role during original series as Ash mentor and coach giving moral support and shoulder to rely on not only to Ash but to several other characters teaching them never to give up from themselves and their goals being great motivator.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 6th July 2011 at 06:48 AM.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Ah, yes, the "eye candy" thing. For the prepubescent lesbians, bisexuals, and little boys I presume. And the proud owners of the unmarked white vans with tinted glass, too, I suppose.

Anyway, the two best ways to develop Misty would be to turn Togepi into an omelet or give it to Brock or Meowth (the people who actually took care of it), and to allow her potential to be used and for her character to actually be given focus. But yeah, the writers obviously had no clue what to do with females until Hoenn.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Blog Entries

Follow Egghatch on Tumblr Visit Egghatch's Youtube Channel

She was okay, I guess. I wish they had expanded on her goals more and made her less rude towards Ash in the earlier episodes of the series, though.
    Floop.

Blog Entries

Did I like Kasumi's role on the show?

Yes.

Yes, but...

I only really cared for her in Kanto and Orange. Most of the time in Johto, she just seemed kinda there (they even forgot that she was afraid of bugs a few times in Johto, right?). I guess it's easy to blame Togepi for mellowing her out, but it's also the writer's fault for not using her more. By the end of her time on the show, I was glad to see her gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purim View Post
    Most of the time in Johto, she just seemed kinda there (they even forgot that she was afraid of bugs a few times in Johto, right?). I guess it's easy to blame Togepi for mellowing her out, but it's also the writer's fault for not using her more. By the end of her time on the show, I was glad to see her gone.
    To answer the question her fear from bugs was never forgotten about in Johto.She was still afraid of arachnids like Ariados or Spinarak,cocoons like Kakuna or bugs like Beedrill just like she used to in Kanto and Orange too.Only bugs of which she wasnt afraid were ones she found "cute"like Ledyba,Heracross,Ladyann etc,just like she wasnt afraid of Butterfree in Kanto or Venonat in Orange.

Misty hates only those bugs she considers "ugly and creepy".
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I admit how Misty didnt get enough focus for a long saga like Johto was but she was anything but bland being full of personality having several achievements there and whenever she got chance to shine this was notable.
    One of things i noticed was that Misty actually received more screen time in Johto than she did in Orange or Kanto.She entered more competitions,did something big about her goal like entering Whirl Cup,battled more trainers,helped save group couple of times like she get them out of forest in Hoot,Hoot episode,took care of sick Brock or helped to save Pikachu and Togepi from TR tank as well some of her pokemon receiving some character development evolving like Poliwhirl for example etc.

I suppose reason why this is often overlooked is because Johto was longer than previous two regions with increase of Misty focus not being notable and big enough compared to length of saga.

As for Misty aggressive side being toned down over time it depends how you look on it.Every character develops and mature over time just like Ash,May or Dawn did which is usually welcomed thing since it gives them more dimensions.
    Misty in Johto wasnt so violent but in exchange we get to see her caring,witty and unselfish side.We can see that when she risked her life when trying to save Marill allowing for great bonding or how passionate and touchy she was about water pokmon.She was spunky but less violent in getting her message across,showing other sides of her(from being girly and obsessive over water types trying to catch various ones like Quagsire,Wooper or Chinchau to have tendency to fall sometimes naively for cute things like Teddiursa being obsessed over it )along with teasing coming in form of sarcasm being used more instead of temper which provided nice balance to her aggressive side starting to sporadically mature.
    She was still lively as character having several memorable moments with Brock and Ash still contributing to humor and good character interaction with slapstick comedy being replaced with smart alec jokes,sarcasm and moments of naivety along with several characters they encountered on road while traveling through Johto establishing some great friendships and rivalries like Sakura for example to who she could relate to because of both having older siblings.

And personally i enjoyed in character almost as much like i did in Kanto and Orange Islands with lack of screen time not affecting entertainment value for me.She had some great character development liking how she went from small insecure girl which exploded over every little thing to more mature and secure character while keeping her enjoyable traits.She also over time got over her complex of inferiority caused by sisters growing in while still quirky and vivid in more levelheaded character at end of run as well making improvement in skills as water trainer coming long way since starting days.

As we saw later on during chronicles and cameos she has developed in nice blend of older and new Misty becoming more responsible person being filled with selfesteem not being insecure in herself so much like she used to be being able to get over Gyarados fear and gain sisters rspect.As its been showed her main traits are being kept still being quirky,sarcastic,witty,spunky,caring side etc with some new ones being added.She is hotheaded and stubborn as well being capable of exploding when provoked enough,but she is also more grown up and mature as person at this point and time.

Many fans actually appreciate that writers showed Misty different sides of personality because they felt her character would become too static if only temper was mostly showed like it was case with early Kanto.And writers in a way succeeded because they kept Misty tomboyish side while showing more of her girly and snarky side.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 4th September 2011 at 08:06 AM.

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

At the beggining it was okay. We where being introduced to the Pokemon World, so we didn't exactly know how things worked, how this characters could achieve this fantastical goals.

But as we got a better grasp of how their universe worked, some took notice that Misty wasn't really getting anywhere.

Atleast in the OS and the OI seasons Misty also had a certain charm that made her enjoyable, despite not really getting anywhere. Sort of like Cilan in Best Wishes now. But Misty completely lost thing in Johto.

So I did like her role up to the second season. Once Johto rolled in I kept asking myself, why is she still here?

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Honestly, with Johto, it was like "who are these Brock and Misty people and do they do anything besides carry around eggs, cook meals, and occasionally pretend like they're important?"
    Caseydia likes this.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kameinu View Post
    At the beggining it was okay. We where being introduced to the Pokemon World, so we didn't exactly know how things worked, how this characters could achieve this fantastical goals.

But as we got a better grasp of how their universe worked, some took notice that Misty wasn't really getting anywhere.

Atleast in the OS and the OI seasons Misty also had a certain charm that made her enjoyable, despite not really getting anywhere. Sort of like Cilan in Best Wishes now. But Misty completely lost thing in Johto.

So I did like her role up to the second season. Once Johto rolled in I kept asking myself, why is she still here?
    I think that Misty purpose was in being supporting character who acted like Ash coach/mentor.She wasnt co-star but she did things providing humor and great chemistry between group,had several notable achievements(like winning Princess festival which was some sort of early contest,Seaking competition,being among top 8 in Whirl Cup, etc) and aside from battling did many other things which influenced plot in one way or another.
    Like saving people lives,towns,taking care of those she cared about,helping to beat TR organization,giving moral support to her friends teaching people to never give up hope believing in themselves.

She was one along with Brock who influenced Ash a lot helping him to grow in trainer he became later giving identity to this anime and group as a whole.
    She had her own goal of becoming water pokemon master too,but unfortunately reason why it was never build up much or expanded on was because of ex had writer mr.Shudo never caring much for her character viewing her as merely something more than token girl.

When mr.Shudo stopped doing construction for original series in mid Johto it can be noticed how Misty received much better treatment becoming more active.Like expanding more on her goal than it was case before with Whirl Cup being created,capturing new pokemon Corsola,evolving Poliwhirl,battling more ,starting to explain why she likes water type so much in some episodes like "Some Like it Hot",gaining rivals in form of Sakura and Egan etc.
    Misty started to receive better treatment after Shudo left and it strikes to me how other writers who took place after he left tried to redeem for some of his mistakes.

I agree how until Master Quest Misty wasnt going anywhere in Johto thanks to mr.Shudo neglect but i disagree about Misty "losing her charm" because she was still tomboyish and quirky in Johto providing great deal of humor and fun whenever she was actually given some focus to shine on her own enjoying in several moments sh shared with other characters.They also had build up on Misty character by other sides of her personality being showed more starting to gradually develop and mature.

This can be noticed in way she interacted with several other characters like Sakura,Egan,Dorian etc becoming mature enough to get over her complex of inferiority caused by sisters not being bothered much about it helping Sakura how to deal with her older siblings for example as well being over course of Johto willing to admit hr own mistakes and take criticism in much better manner compared to early days.Which is testament to character growth.

While i admit how Misty had some great screen time in Kanto and OI to be fair she received more character centric episodes in Johto,battled more and received more screen time overall.
    Personally i cant exclude out Johto because she had several great and noteworthy moments there as well gaining some development.It wasnt nearly enough,but she certainly did much more than just holding Togepi with Johto doing some things right regarding said character.More than it did for Brock(Takeshi)anyway at that point..
    himanuts likes this.

They made her character too rough at first then it became softer while in Johto. Maybe it was because of all the sea air from the islands.

I think that...looking back on the series she was in, the writers missed a lot of opportunities to make her character more enjoyable...People say that Misty was more enjoyable in Kanto, but she wasn't really doing TOO much outside of being an Ash supporter. I'd argue that in Johto they expaned on her goal a bit more, and had her battling more than before. But still, it wasn't enough for me, seeing what they can do now.

Let's take Togepi for example. Togepi is a cute baby pokemon. It's always been like that. Would you really like to see Brock or Ash constantly playing goo-goo ga ga to a little baby pokemon like Togepi all the time? And Meowth wouldn't have been a better option, who has a pokemon owning another pokemon? Misty of course held Togepi almost all the time, played with it, and looked after it like a mother would. But Togepi's hidden powers were left unexplained and unexplored, resulting in wasted potential. They should've allowed it to become able to use its powers and battle/defend itself or its trainer, and evolve in Johto, or in AG for a cameo.

And as far as her team goes, A LOT more could've been done for that. I think Misty's team going into Johto should've been:

Togepi
    Starmie
    Horsea
    Poliwag
    Psyduck

But I'll comment on that later.
    Hidden Mew and Caseydia like this.

Blog Entries

Heh, I see you dropped Goldeen. I never did understand why Goldeen was kept on her team throughout her entire run. At the end of Orange, she should have swapped Goldeen for Horsea, and Staryu for Starmie.
    Blue1225 likes this.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast