Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show? - Page 13
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 221

Thread: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

  1. #181

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalepsy View Post
    How is this saying that I think I'm better than everyone else? I'm just saying that people who only were into the anime when Misty was on can't be considered real fans to the show because it only shows that they are fans of that one character, not the actual show and point of it.

    Unless you mean that you thought I made it seem like I was a better fan than everyone else? Actually I'm not at all. It doesn't bother me if I miss an episode every now and then. I'm not one of the biggest fans, but I didn't stop watching the show and started insulting the anime after a certain character left because it was their time to leave. That's all I'm saying.
    It was the bolded. For instance, I've seen plenty of game fans who think we're all morons for daring to watch more than five minutes of a shitty kindergarten show. They're the 'true fans' of the franchise after all!

    I would love to, but sadly I don't have the time for it. Pokemon isn't even near my biggest concern.
    I know, that's why I said I was joking. I've missed plenty of times and had to go back and watch it myself.

  2. #182
    Seek the sparrow prince Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    10,894
    Blog Entries
    87

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    I think its best for everyone to drop the talk about how others want Misty to come back. Stick to the direct question in future please.

  3. #183
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,761
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalepsy View Post
    It's not that hard to bring back ANY character and give them something new to do. Not just Misty, but any character. Bring them back and have them say "Oh I'm into this now" or "I entered in this competition." Hell I'd rather them bring back Harley stalking the group doing absolutely nothing moreso than Misty. Harley <3333

    If the writers thought showing off Misty's potential and character was that important, I'm sure they would have showed her much more. If she was any importance to the show after Johto, they would have showed her. The writers have a knack of ditching characters left and right, and it shouldn't be different for Misty, a girl who was just a traveler and didn't really have her own side-quest on the show. Sure she wanted to be the best water master, but there weren't these on-going events for her like Ash's gym battles or May and Dawn's contests.

    The writers learned that they needed a female co-star who actually had her own storyline besides Ash within the show after Misty. Sure Misty was cool and all, but she was basically just a traveler like Brock, Max, and you could even add Tracey in there.
    While i liked Harley alot he in reality doesn't have enough story and stamina on his own like Misty to function as main character, and since i find Misty more entertaining im choosing her over him any day. :p I think Harley would have chance to truly shine if they ever made spin of about May Johto adventures. Hosos version 2.
    Introduction of female protagonists had nothing really to do with writers but rather games. Since contests were present in RS and DP games writers decided to adequately promote them by introducing female game protagonists like May and Dawn to cast. Once contests stopped existing writers git rid of contests in new Unova series like they never existed introducing female sidekick like Misty was, Iris and new male sidekick Cilan. Anime is more often than not just marketing tool, being largely influenced by games.

    Misty had her own story too.Her story was to become water pokemon master,she had complex of inferiority caused by older sisters feeling less worthy and she wanted to explore pokemon world catching and learning about water types as much as she can.

    Misty had potential,story and undiscovered things to develop and flesh out character but unfortunately she was victim of poor writing and lack of Takeshi Shudo care.
    Reason why they didn't brought her back to cast is mostly because of promotional purposes rather wanting to introduce new companions to better go in correlation with promotion of new games. Of course they could make exception and keep her like they did with TR or Brock, but since they try to avoid having two girls in same cast that idea never probably came in consideration in first place.
    That and as it was already explained in interview with ex pokemon director(Masamitsu Hidaka), how writers rather want to switch up girls to try out new designs and provide new "female fanservice" to male audience with each new generation(as sexist as that may sound).

    In Hoenn they probably had in consideration to bring Misty back in case May and contest fails keeping her as backup plan(similar how it was case with Tracey). That also explains why they kept character alive during Hoenn,but seeing how new girls became successful they realized how there is no need for such thing deciding to go in better correlation with games by including new characters or how mr. Hidaka said("eye candy").

    You know what I'd say to them? "Get the hell over it." This is Pokemon, it's not that intense. It's not that necessary for every character to receive a perfect ending. I agree that Misty's departure should have been a little better and in her AG cameo maybe showed her saying that she is becoming a much better water trainer. Just to show that she's reaching her goal, since that's what so many of you are worried about, her not having any closure to her goal. But there's always speculations of off-screen characters and how they're doing. Just think that she's reached that goal.
    Obviously the writers don't want to show her anymore because she's old news.

    Misty fans that still watch the show I have respect for.
    Misty fans that stopped watching the show and have nothing more to say than to insult the new series and characters give you guys a bad rep.
    People main disappointment was that unlike its case with Dawn or May we don't know even motives behind Misty's desire to become water pokemon master and what influenced her to have preference for one type.We didn't see Misty overcoming her personal issues which stand on her way of becoming water pokemon master never coming to significant realization how to achieve her dreams either, nor achieving something big enough to fill character with sense of conclusion.

    Taking over gym was just used as plotline to get her of cast never being part of story and goal with writers making very clear at end of Johto and in chronicles how Misty desire isn't to be gym leader taking it over mostly because of incompetent sisters, with plots which formed her story being left hanging in the air.
    Writers had Misty leave before it was time for her to leave, simple as that.

    Of course no point crying over it, but writers obviously never finished job they started with her and probably never will.

    As for Misty being older character, that doesn't prevent her from coming back at all.
    Writers tend to be very unorthodox when it comes to older characters and quite unpredictable too,so in reality you never know what you can expect from them. When they decide its right time and how Misty return would hold some significance and provide opportunity to advance her ow story, there is nothing to say how they couldn't return her .If Giovanni can become important after so many years, as well Gary in DP, old Johto gym leader Jasmine being used in Sinnoh there is no reason why someone much more popular and important like Misty couldn't as well with writers doing follow up and capitalizing on her popularity and rather large demand for return.

    Giovanni is TR. Team Rocket is still on the show.
    Gary is Ash's MAIN rival.
    Jasmine, I forgot why the hell she came, I think it was to promote HGSS though.
    Butch and Cassidy are Team Rocket.
    And Dawn was in the series before. They always bring back the main girl in the following series. Misty came back for a bit in AG. May came back in D/P, so they might as well have Dawn have an appearance as well. Why is Misty more important than them? Why should she continue to have more appearances than May or Dawn?
    You forgot Jessibelle which was minor Kanto character appearing in Sinnoh after 11 years just like that. But in all honesty let me explain. All characters you mentioned writers could easily ignore never to be seen again, but since writers got interested in showing them and do more with stories is main reason behind their return.
    Giovanni was blatantly ignored for majority of series including Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh just to be brought back to life suddenly in BW becoming important again.

    Gary stopped being Ash main rival long, long time ago when Johto end still returning as researcher couple of times in DP. And he was less important than Misty was to series.
    Jasmine was ion HGSS games just like several other characters were(including Misty).
    Butch and Cassidy were never important to TR story being simple secondary comic relief being ignored for whole Hoenn and large part of Sinnoh randomly returning with writers incorporating their roles in new shows format.

    As for Dawn return its more than usual cameo appearance givn how she will e staying in UNova for at least 10 or more episodes already getting longer follow up than May and Misty combined received. Which strikes to me that they decided to change their approach and keep companions which leave cast in on way or another still important to pokemon series not fading away in oblivion. Something they missed opportunity to do so with previous characters.

    As for why Misty should return, its not only her everyone which were important part of pokemon series should continue to exist. Its not about putting someone on pedestal over other but more in giving character some recognition acknowledging her existence. Misty was important part of pokemon series being in original trio which made pokemon popular in first place, its rather clear she was never used to full potential and many people miss her wanting to see her again.

    Most other anime which replace characters tend to bring older ones back eventually to develop them further and make relevant to story again helping to advance it with new/fresh things getting actually applied, so i don't see why pokemon wouldn't do the same?
    Purpose behind older character return is in giving them update and what might have changed in mean time, to have them develop more, to influence other character storyline contributing to it(like May did with Dawn) etc. It also acknowledge their existence imbuing anime with more continuity, please fans and give opportunity to younger kids to get know Ash past friends comprehending better his past adding for nice twist.
    Anime maybe doesn't need them in cast to go on,but trying to erase previous traveling companions from face of existence like they never existed or mattered would be just wrong and disrespectful very bad decision hurting show credibility and reputation.

    After all if pokemon anime is treated as show with continuity being set in same timeline and universe, it only makes sense to return characters which were important part of Ash story and show in general getting some chance to shine as well.

    But since we are in Misty thread, you can surely understand why i would rather have her back than someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    That comparison doesn't really make any sense to me. People thought the earth was flat until it was proven scientifically. I don't think you can compare something like that to people think that Misty was boring in Johto or how people liked how some characters developed since those are opinions and those are going be different because people have different tastes. You can disagree with those opinions and that's fine, but that doesn't mean that the people who think Misty was boring during Johto are wrong.
    You misunderstood. Not liking way someone developed is one thing and i respect that. But i disagree with reasoning behind some people claims in viewing character "boring" because of "not having personality in Johto". Because that is completely untrue and wrong .

    @Yoshi-kun: Im pretty sure if Misty returned she wouldn't be put in second plan, because when older characters return he usually get spotlight and chance to shine to please fans and make him leave good impression on viewers.
    Even if Dawn loses that still wont diminish her relevance in BW series considering she is already getting much bigger follow up than any past companion could ever hope for.
    That being said i do wander how would Misty interact with Iris and Cilan, having things in common and i could see someone with flare and spunk like her playing of great with Ash current traveling companions.

    p.s.@Iteru: My apologies in advance if this post contained anything unacceptable for this topic but i was writing this message before you posted, submitting it before i had chance to read notification.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 14th July 2012 at 03:25 PM.

  4. #184
    ricochet, take your aim Titanium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    106
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Titanium On Twitter Add Titanium on Facebook

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Misty had her own story too.Her story was to become water pokemon master,she had complex of inferiority caused by older sisters feeling less worthy and she wanted to explore pokemon world catching and learning about water types as much as she can.
    It is influenced by the games, which is why the anime focuses on the current game that is out. Is Misty in the B/W game? Does she have any significant role during it? Nope, so there is no reason to bring her forth since it's irrelevant.[

    Like Hidden Mew said, Misty was more talk than action. She spoke of her water master goals, but the writers never gave it much coverage for some reason. If they didn't do it while she was on the show, what makes you think they're going to do it years later when she hasn't been shown since AG?

    I still think Harley would bring more entertainment to the show than Misty. He's hilarious, he doesn't even have to do anything significant. Just show his face and it's perfect. IMO at least.

    Misty had potential,story and undiscovered things to develop and flesh out character but unfortunately she was victim of poor writing and lack of Takeshi Shudo care.
    Reason why they didn't brought her back to cast is mostly because of promotional purposes rather wanting to introduce new companions to better go in correlation with promotion of new games. Of course they could make exception and keep her like they did with TR or Brock, but since they try to avoid having two girls in same cast that idea never probably came in consideration in first place.
    That and as it was already explained in interview with ex pokemon director(Masamitsu Hidaka), how writers rather want to switch up girls to try out new designs and provide new "female fanservice" to male audience with each new generation(as sexist as that may sound).
    Yes I know the lack of her potential being dismissed. It's a shame but people need to get over the past and start looking for new things the anime brings and enjoy it.

    In Hoenn probably had in consideration to bring Misty back in case May and contest fails keeping her as backup plan(similar how it was case with Tracey). That also explains why they kept character alive during Hoenn,but seeing how new girls became successful they realized how there is no need for such thing deciding to go in better correlation with games by including new characters or how mr. Hidaka said("eye candy").
    May was brought in because of the R/S games. She was the female protagonist. Keeping Misty in the show would have been useless because she wasn't even in the game, which you said yourself, the anime is based off the games in general.
    Misty had her appearance in AG just like every female main character had their one appearance in the series after their's. May in DP and Dawn in B/W. Bringing back Misty in B/W instead of May will piss people off. Why should Misty have more screentime than any other character. The writers forget about most characters and throw them down the drain (ex: Gary) I don't see why Misty should be an exception.

    People main disappointment was that unlike its case with Dawn or May we don't know even motives behind Misty's desire to become water pokemon master and what influenced her to have preference for one type.We didn't see Misty overcoming her personal issues which stand on her way of becoming water pokemon master never coming to significant realization how to achieve her dreams either, nor achieving something big enough to fill character with sense of conclusion.
    Maybe the writers want the older audience to have more imagination and have their own story predictions rather than bringing back a lost character.

    As for why Misty should return, its not only her everyone which were important part of pokemon series should continue to exist. Its not about putting someone on pedestal over other but more in giving character some recognition acknowledging her existence. Misty was important part of pokemon series being in original trio which made pokemon popular in first place, its rather clear she was never used to full potential and many people miss her wanting to see her again.
    Just be happy they let Misty have an appearance after Johto. Fans need to stop being so selfish, and let the new characters have their screentime.

  5. #185
    Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,710

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    You misunderstood. Not liking way someone developed is one thing and i respect that. But i disagree with reasoning behind some people claims in viewing character "boring" because of "not having personality in Johto". Because that is completely untrue and wrong .
    I see what you're saying, but that's still an opinion about Misty's character. You obviously disagree with it, but I don't know if one can say that's completely untrue and wrong. I certainly think that Misty was boring, although throughout the series and not just in Johto, and I don't think that's wrong. That's just how I feel about the character, but I know that there are people who like her, so if they see her as the greatest female character in the history of the anime, I don't think they're wrong. I definitely disagree with that idea for various reasons, but I wouldn't say that it's wrong. As for the personality issue with Johto specifically, they did tone down most of her aggressive traits most of the time. I'm not sure if I would say she didn't have a personality in Johto, but I can kind of see the reasoning behind that statement.

  6. #186

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalepsy View Post
    Bringing back Misty in B/W instead of May will piss people off. Why should Misty have more screentime than any other character. The writers forget about most characters and throw them down the drain (ex: Gary) I don't see why Misty should be an exception.
    Not really, because May had her big DP appearance & Misty is in the new BW2 games. May isn't.

  7. #187
    ricochet, take your aim Titanium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    106
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Titanium On Twitter Add Titanium on Facebook

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    And Misty had her AG appearance. :P Why should she get more screentime than the other two females.. when both May and Dawn had a way bigger role than her, mind you that.

    Oh I had no clue she was in the game.. what have I been smoking? :P
    Ah well. Sadly the anime doesn't fully follow every little detail of the games by adding in EVERY single character in them. That'd be pretty insane.

  8. #188

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    All the old Gym leaders are in BW2 to battle, it's not just Misty.

    It's interesting to note that most people feel Misty was underdeveloped, even Misty fans themselves feel the same way. If everyone notices it, it must be an agreed upon general consensus, right? Yes.

    They did give her some more water themed episodes in late Johto at least.

  9. #189
    ricochet, take your aim Titanium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    106
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Titanium On Twitter Add Titanium on Facebook

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    IIRC all the Kanto gym leaders were in HGSS as well. There were no appearances during DP, even though Misty was in the HGSS games. What makes this any different?

  10. #190
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,761
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalepsy View Post
    It is influenced by the games, which is why the anime focuses on the current game that is out. Is Misty in the B/W game? Does she have any significant role during it? Nope, so there is no reason to bring her forth since it's irrelevant.
    I presume your not much familiar with current series and games than, because Misty appears in BW2 games participating in world tournament host by Cynthia titled as trainer. Which give her reason to return both for marketing and story purposes.

    Like Hidden Mew said, Misty was more talk than action. She spoke of her water master goals, but the writers never gave it much coverage for some reason. If they didn't do it while she was on the show, what makes you think they're going to do it years later when she hasn't been shown since AG?
    Because they were inexperienced at that time not knowing how to handle several things well unlike its case now not knowing in what direction to have anime continue. Another reason is because ex head writer who did construction for OS until mid Johto, Takeshi Shudo stated in his blog how he never cared much for Misty or main cast in general admitting how he screw up not doing with character story enough, regretting that he didn't gave her bigger role. It wasn't until he left that other writers started to focus more on her water master goal and story starting with Whirl islands, but since decision to remove Misty was made before that they had no choice but to replace her.

    However if they decide to return her to main cast ever again considering how writers acknowledge mistakes they did with character in past along with added fact of being much better at giving more focus and attention to someone Misty would be treated better nowadays without doubt.

    May was brought in because of the R/S games. She was the female protagonist. Keeping Misty in the show would have been useless because she wasn't even in the game, which you said yourself, the anime is based off the games in general.
    Misty had her appearance in AG just like every female main character had their one appearance in the series after their's. May in DP and Dawn in B/W. Bringing back Misty in B/W instead of May will piss people off. Why should Misty have more screentime than any other character. The writers forget about most characters and throw them down the drain (ex: Gary) I don't see why Misty should be an exception.
    Older characters can promote new games through new pokemon just fine as any new character would.
    As we get to see with Ash,Brock for all this years,Team Rocket etc older characters can have marketing value too being possible to promote games through them along with new characters being showed through guest appearances like they did with HGSS remakes for example with several game protagonists from main games being ignored.

    Nintendo and Game Freak could care less who is going to be in cast as long their main product and source of money(new pokemon)are being properly showcased. Reason why Misty wasn't included to main cast in AG had nothing to do with not being in games.

    Also second part of message doesn't make any sense. Most people are not close minded being open to more than one character and his return. Just like Dawn extended return in BW didn't piss of other character fans like Brock, there is no reason to believe how Misty return would get people angry either. Going by that logic people must be pissed for TR and Brock bing in so much more episodes than other main characters did. Especially when she was absent for longest period of time compared to other past characters not being seen since 2006 not getting nearly as much fleshing out like other female companions did.
    There is no reason to erase characters which were important part of series like they never existed, when they have potential to offer more and people would want to have them back. Its not only Misty which should return, but all other past companions should receive recognition and acknowledge that they exist too. Including May, Brock, Tracey etc.

    Its always interesting to see how would older characters interact with new ones adding that extra flavor to character interaction, being raised to a whole new different level.
    Return of previous characters also provides more references and flashbacks to past strengthening continuity of pokemon series.
    In other words they add more spice.
    Not to mention another motivation for writers is possibility of reaching beyond target audience with such move attracting more older fans toward anime.Judging by Misty and May cameos in past, their episodes brought boost to TV ratings.

    Btw Gary was not forgotten, he appeared in DP and for record his relevance to series was much lower than Misty's who was ex main character and first female protagonist.

    Maybe the writers want the older audience to have more imagination and have their own story predictions rather than bringing back a lost character.
    If that was case they wouldn't be bringing back decade old characters in DP and BW, but they obviously did deciding to do something with their stories instead of letting them rot forgotten and abandoned. Something none of ex main characters deserve to end up like that.

    You should watch other anime like Bakugan, Inazuma Eleven Go etc. When they replace characters they keep them alive and relevant returning them to contribute to current storyline sand receive more development themselves being taken in new directions, while influencing story from new characters too helping them in future growth.

    Just be happy they let Misty have an appearance after Johto. Fans need to stop being so selfish, and let the new characters have their screentime.
    Wanting to see your favorite character again and develop him more=/=being selfish.

    Just because they were focused on before, that doesn't mean older characters shouldn't be given chance to shine as well with there being nothing wrong in developing them more.
    I definitely welcome when older character returns bringing dash of fresh air, with fans getting some new material and considering how with several of them writers didn't finished job with each contributing to anime popularity being important to it they doesn't deserve to end up eradicated from face of earth. That would be anything but wise and good move.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I see what you're saying, but that's still an opinion about Misty's character. You obviously disagree with it, but I don't know if one can say that's completely untrue and wrong. I certainly think that Misty was boring, although throughout the series and not just in Johto, and I don't think that's wrong. That's just how I feel about the character, but I know that there are people who like her, so if they see her as the greatest female character in the history of the anime, I don't think they're wrong. I definitely disagree with that idea for various reasons, but I wouldn't say that it's wrong. As for the personality issue with Johto specifically, they did tone down most of her aggressive traits most of the time. I'm not sure if I would say she didn't have a personality in Johto, but I can kind of see the reasoning behind that statement.
    Opinion is someone view about character and whether he liked his personality, story and way he developed. Claiming how character didn't had personality in Johto is trying to deny fact, because episodes showed otherwise. I can't see any reasoning behind such statement either because aggressiveness wasn't only personality trait Misty had with there being much more to her personality being snarly, known as deep romantic, having her girly moments, strong willed taking initiative etc. She had temper too with coming of in less violent way being nus product of maturity and growth character experienced.

    Not liking way someone developed and his character is matter of opinion, but fact is that Misty had personality in Johto no matter if people found it enjoyable or not,m being inaccurate to claim otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalepsy View Post
    And Misty had her AG appearance. :P Why should she get more screentime than the other two females.. when both May and Dawn had a way bigger role than her, mind you that.
    And because they got enough development and focus, those which weren't fleshed out enough should return before them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalepsy View Post
    IIRC all the Kanto gym leaders were in HGSS as well. There were no appearances during DP, even though Misty was in the HGSS games. What makes this any different?
    It makes it different because unlike in HGSS remakes when Misty was just gym leader you could challenge, in BW2 games she is part of something bigger like world tournament entering it. And since new games only offered this, writers will probably expand beyond Junior Cup after Unova league ends doing more tournaments representing concept of world tournament in filler arc. Nothing is confirmed yet, but logically this is only option they were provided on table.

  11. #191

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Stupid computer is too freaking slow. Oh well, some things I wanted to nit pick.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalepsy View Post
    The writers learned that they needed a female co-star who actually had her own storyline besides Ash within the show after Misty. Sure Misty was cool and all, but she was basically just a traveler like Brock, Max, and you could even add Tracey in there.
    For all the good that theory does us now. Hello, Iris.

    But they've definitely proven that they need and want item collectors to write for. Otherwise they have no freaking clue what they're doing when it comes to long term career progression and start throwing darts at the board. I sigh.

    I agree that Misty's departure should have been a little better and in her AG cameo maybe showed her saying that she is becoming a much better water trainer.
    This is what has always bothered me about Misty. Her ending was awful, and I will argue that forever. And it was so freaking simple to fix, all they had to do was at the the end of that third Chronicles episode, have her say that she had finally found herself as a trainer, was ready for her own journey, and walk out the door. That. Was. It.

    Simple, no?

    But there's always speculations of off-screen characters and how they're doing Just think that she's reached that goal.
    If you're not equal to at least the Elite Four, then you don't deserve to call yourself the master of anything. If she's still at the Gym, that means she still stands no chance against someone like Lorelei. So no, they didn't leave anything to the imagination at all.

    Meanwhile, we know May is still out there working her butt off to beat Solidad. That's why she has a hypothetical ending.

    Gary is Ash's MAIN rival.
    Since when? o.O I was shocked to see him again. They had practically written him out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalepsy View Post
    Like Hidden Mew said, Misty was more talk than action. She spoke of her water master goals, but the writers never gave it much coverage for some reason.
    I've thought about and think I've realized the problem with Misty's and Iris' goal. In essence, a Type Master is a super trainer who uses one type, like the Elite Four (duh), Lance, and Wallace, as opposed to a regular Master, like say Cynthia who uses multitype. To be that good as a type specialist, you have be actively searching for as many different Pokemon of your type as you can, to put together a team who fill the disadvantages you know you're going to have. And you need to battle as many multitype trainers as you can so learn to be prepared for all situations.

    So basically the most direct path is that, they should battle every trainer that presents themselves, collect badges to face the Gym Leaders as type on type, and compete in as many competitions as possible, especially the regional leagues. For instance, Macy the fire trainer in the Johto League.

    But that could never happen with Misty or Iris, because they're not going to have two Gym battles or more for every Gym, and that would put them into direct competition with Ash. So they have no idea to how properly lay out a progressive career plan for her them. So it turned into them trying to come up with random things here and there to show that she was trying to reach her goal no comment on Iris, bleh.

    Probably they just never should have come up with Type Master as a goal or used it again, and just given her them something else (item collecting) to do. >>;

  12. #192
    ricochet, take your aim Titanium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    106
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Titanium On Twitter Add Titanium on Facebook

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    I presume your not much familiar with current series and games than, because Misty appears in BW2 games participating in world tournament host by Cynthia titled as trainer. Which give her reason to return both for marketing and story purposes.
    The anime doesn't follow every aspect of the game. Maybe she will appear, maybe not. My speculations goes towards no.

    Because they were inexperienced at that time not knowing how to handle several things well unlike its case now not knowing in what direction to have anime continue. Another reason is because ex head writer who did construction for OS until mid Johto, Takeshi Shudo stated in his blog how he never cared much for Misty or main cast in general admitting how he screw up not doing with character story enough, regretting that he didn't gave her bigger role. It wasn't until he left that other writers started to focus more on her water master goal and story starting with Whirl islands, but since decision to remove Misty was made before that they had no choice but to replace her.

    However if they decide to return her to main cast ever again considering how writers acknowledge mistakes they did with character in past along with added fact of being much better at giving more focus and attention to someone Misty would be treated better nowadays without doubt.
    I'm pretty sure the writers have better things on their mind than bringing back an old character out of nowhere that has nothing to do with the main plot atm. Of course they made mistakes. There's always things the writers could do better, but it's been so long, everyone might as well just drop the whole issue and move on.

    Nintendo and Game Freak could care less who is going to be in cast as long their main product and source of money(new pokemon)are being properly showcased. Reason why Misty wasn't included to main cast in AG had nothing to do with not being in games.

    Also second part of message doesn't make any sense. Most people are not close minded being open to more than one character and his return. Just like Dawn extended return in BW didn't piss of other character fans like Brock, there is no reason to believe how Misty return would get people angry either. Going by that logic people must be pissed for TR and Brock bing in so much more episodes than other main characters did. Especially when she was absent for longest period of time compared to other past characters not being seen since 2006 not getting nearly as much fleshing out like other female companions did.
    There is no reason to erase characters which were important part of series like they never existed, when they have potential to offer more and people would want to have them back. Its not only Misty which should return, but all other past companions should receive recognition and acknowledge that they exist too. Including May, Brock, Tracey etc.
    Misty had an appearance in AG, and that's all. What makes people believe that she's still going to return as a main character. If the writers truly believed she was any importance to the show at this point, I'm sure they would have at least gave her cameos throughout the years. Even characters like May only got one appearance during the next series after they left. It shouldn't be any different from the other girls.

    Btw Gary was not forgotten, he appeared in DP and for record his relevance to series was much lower than Misty's who was ex main character and first female protagonist.
    Gary was Ash's first rival. I'd say, even though he had WAY less screentime than Misty, that his importance to the show was bigger than Misty's, who was just a basically a traveler partner for Ash. She had a goal, yet she never got enough screentime shown doing much with it.
    Screentime =/= Importance. Ash was destined to become a better trainer than Gary. One of his main goals was to beat him. Ash is the main character, so I'd say somebody he was working on beating is pretty important.
    Brock wasn't much importance to the actual anime, yet he got loads of screentime. The writers took forever to rid of him.

    Wanting to see your favorite character again and develop him more=/=being selfish.
    May only got one little appearance, you don't see me complaining about it.
    Misty got her appearance, yet fans still aren't satisfied for whatever reason.

  13. #193

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalepsy View Post
    May only got one little appearance, you don't see me complaining about it.
    Misty got her appearance, yet fans still aren't satisfied for whatever reason.
    So you, as in being singular, only one person, can speak for May's entire fandom?

    She has other fans, and they have complained. Fact.

  14. #194

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Misty only appeared for 2 episodes in Hoenn. May got 4 in DP and Dawn is staying for around 10 episodes.

    Misty got another 2 at the beginning of BF, but still only accounts to 4 full episodes total. You can't count the Mastermind as a Misty appearance because May was there too, why don't people count that as a special for May? Is it simply because she was a main character at the time? Even though now she isn't anymore?

    Misty's appearances in AG were to give her the character development she didn't get in Johto. They got rid of Togepi, showed her as a Gym leader, gave her a Gyarados and she bonded with Max...that's about all they needed to do with her.

  15. #195

    Default Re: Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Misty got another 2 at the beginning of BF, but still only accounts to 4 full episodes total. You can't count the Mastermind as a Misty appearance because May was there too, why don't people count that as a special for May? Is it simply because she was a main character at the time? Even though now she isn't anymore?
    Wait a minute? The Mastermind Special doesn't count because May was there? What kind of logic is that? May was there in the other episodes. By that logic Misty never appeared in AG. o.O Better yet May didn't appear in the Wallace Cup. And Dawn isn't here now.

    Of course it's not a special for May because she was a main charater at the time. Why the heck would it be? The episode took place during the BF, she was supposed to be there. Just because she's gone now doesn't mean jack for the timeline then.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •