Did you like Dawn/Hikari's role on the show? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Did you like Dawn/Hikari's role on the show?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Did you like Dawn's role on the show?

As a character herself Dawn was alright. Its just that I didn't like her character interaction with virtually everyone in DP. The characters she brought with her into the series, including Johanna, Piplup, Zoey/Kenny, etc. were all not very interesting in my opinion.

I think Dawn might have had more potential in her own series traveling by herself rather than being forced to travel with Ash/Brock in DP. In DP1 we see her perfectly capable of starting her journey by herself anyway.

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

I keep saying, it wasn't Dawn who was the problem. It was the people around Dawn that where.

Her friendship with Ash and Brock felt forced. They didn't really seem to have that many conflicts with her and where always too conveniently on the same page.

Piplup..that thing was simply forced. It's relationship with Dawn didn't seem to grow naturally. Ash's relationship with Chimchar felt more natural..<_<

Her rivals. Kenny..wtf was that? That kid really made no sense. Why does he do what he do? And Zoey, she didn't really act like a rival. Rivals can be friends and care for each other, but Zoey never came of to me as a real challenge for Dawn to overcome. To bad Urara came in so late...and wasn't handled like she should had. -.-

As to Dawn herself, she wasn't unlikeable. She's a good kid and I loved the whole thing with her loosing confidence in herself. Many say Johanna was a bad mom, but she actually helped make Dawn a worthwhile character in my eyes.
    Momoka and Shinneth like this.

Dawn was a likable character.She definitely had the best character development arc out of all the females. I thought it was really nice to see a female get the same attention Ash got. I enjoyed her Pokemon (bar Piplup) although the writers should have given more screen time for them and not just Piplup.

But like others said, her personality didn't really change. Misty went from a feisty, hair-trigger tempered girl to a caring young lady who mellowed out her temper. May went from a clueless, unsure girl to a mature independent girl. Dawn however was still the happy, idealistic person when she left the group.

Her interactions were pretty hit and miss. Dawn had good relations with Ash, Conway, Barry and Ursula. However there wasn't much of a connection with Brock, Kenny, and Zoey. It's a shame that she had better interactions with Ash's rivals than her own.

Check out my tumblr!

Fanfiction <- Please read and review if you like?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Catzeye View Post
    But like others said, her personality didn't really change. Misty went from a feisty, hair-trigger tempered girl to a caring young lady who mellowed out her temper. May went from a clueless, unsure girl to a mature independent girl. Dawn however was still the happy, idealistic person when she left the group.
    This is one of my disappointments with the character. If you watched Dawn in DP1-3, you already know how she'll be for the entire rest of the series. Aside from her small depression arc, which only took up 2 minutes of screentime per episode before she went back to her regular self, her personality felt like it didn't change or grow much at all.

The other problem is nothing changed with her interactions. She and Zoey also interacted the same exact way throughout all of DP. She and Kenny didn't change whatsoever.

I also feel as if her team remained too stagnant. Piplup/Buneary/Pachirisu essentially went unchanged for over 180 episodes since they were all caught by DP15. Ambipom, her one more interesting pokemon is released. Cyndaquil came way too late in the saga so it really didn't do much, and Togekiss was just a laughable last-minute pokemon that got maybe 5 episodes of screentime. Mamoswine was great, but even then Mamoswine never did have that truly epic battle that each powerhouse pokemon usually has.

I now see why so many people who liked Dawn at the beginning of DP "lost interest" as the saga progressed. A lot of people discovered themselves losing interest in Dawn as DP progressed and couldn't figure out why, but I guess now we know. Either they were caught up in the initial hype the writers were giving her with all the songs and promotion, or they thought her character would play out differently than she did.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I didn't like her role on the show, and that has nothing to do with me not liking the character. I just feel like it was really repetitive to watch Dawn go after the same goal we already spent nearly 200 episodes watching May go after. And I do know that May's story was very different from Dawn's, so it's not like we were watching the exact same thing again, but since May being a coordinator was so new and different, I felt like that was more worthwhile to watch than Dawn being a coordinator, since we were already used to the whole contest/coordinator segment of the show. I feel like the only thing Dawn got over May was that she got more focus and episodes to herself, and she was more on par with Ash's level of focus than May was. And we also can't forget that May won many of her contests by luck and DEM wins, which Dawn didn't. But even with that said, I still didn't like her role on the show. It's true that I find her character very boring and annoying and thus I really couldn't bring myself to like her very much, but I also feel like her story was just such a letdown, especially compared to May's. It also doesn't help that sans Ursula, Dawn's rivals were really dull and uninteresting, whereas May's were full of personality and charisma. As a whole I was really disappointed with how Dawn and her role on the show turned out.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Blog Entries

I really liked her role. Well I'm not the biggest contest fan and her supporting cast was lame. But I liked her role in Ash's story. She feed the fire between Ash and Paul, she helped Ash improve and she had genuine interest in pokemon battles. She didn't feel pointless during the main episodes ie gym, league and rival episodes. So since those were that matter that means she justified her existence pretty damn well! I say her existence's justification among Ash's friends is second only to Brock and Misty during the original series which itself got worse after awhile.
    Last edited by Phoenixphlare; 31st December 2011 at 08:11 PM.

Blog Entries

I Seto Kaiba shall sum up this 'Dawn character'. 10 year old girl with blue hair, wore a 'short' skimpy skirt and had 'happy feet' as her companion in the series.

Well, basically that was her role. In my opinion.

Blog Entries

I will agree Dawn training with Ash was nice, the other three girls rarely did that. But what role did Dawn have in the Gyms? She battled Maylene but she basically cheered from the stands like all the others.

Dawn and Paul interacted a grand total of twice over the entire span of DP so I don't know where the hell the Dawn/Paul thing came from.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    I will agree Dawn training with Ash was nice, the other three girls rarely did that. But what role did Dawn have in the Gyms? She battled Maylene but she basically cheered from the stands like all the others.

Dawn and Paul interacted a grand total of twice over the entire span of DP so I don't know where the hell the Dawn/Paul thing came from.
    Her cheering added to atmosphere but I guess your right.

However Dawn interacted with Paul tons of times "what's a matter with you Paul?" was said like a billion times. She had an active role in Ash's story and that's what a sidekick character needs.

Blog Entries

I can't recall Dawn ever seriously influencing the Paul rivalry. I will say one thing about the DP trio that was good is Ash had a steady training partner.

It's bizarre when you that none of the other characters have done this.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dawn was to me ok character and i liked her energetic yet very positive personality at first being too secure in herself and abilities just to later on discover how things are not as easy as they might seem being put down to earth through several harsh loses.
    After that she began to take contests and approach to them more seriously,which can be noticed with increased devotion toward training of her pokemon staring to come up with her style and strategy she was going to use in contests eventually hard work paying off going all the way to finals in Grand Festival.

And while development was quite substantial and detailed what really lacked for me was personality growth.With first and second female protagonists you could see gradual change in their characters,and while they kept basic characteristics you could tell that they really grew emotionally with struggles and obstacles they went through causing some change.
    With Dawn she remained happy,confident and girly character we got to know in beginning with very little change going on.Only difference was that she went from overly confident in more humble and confident character proving to herself how she didnt failed Johanna expectations.

As coordinator she went through tremendous growth learning alot on how to deal with pokemon and training problems,but emotionally not much changed.Than again its pokemon,not much you can expect in that department in first place.

Also at times i felt there was too much attention on pokemon training and practice of appeals and some episodes were definitely unneeded not providing anything beneficial for Dawn,her story and rivals dragging out quest and rivalry with some characters starting to feel little stale.
    On positive side though it balanced out discrepancy between male and females with girls finally starting to get equal treatment.It also gave Dawn more focus to develop on her story,struggles and fails she had to deal with and of course rivals.

She was arguably most developed female in pokemon and you could tell writers did everything they planned to do with her story with most things being nicely wrapped up by end of her run.From lack of confidence,issues with mother Johanna,rivalries with Zoey or Kenny,issues her pokemon dealt with(like Mamoswine)etc along with almost achieving her goal on first try ending as runner up in Sinnoh GF.With May when she left you could tell there was left room to do more with some things being left undefined and undiscovered,and with Misty while she got some nice development there were many things unfinished and unexplored leaving more to be desired.

Speaking of rivals,Dawn rivals were so so having good and bad sides.Ursula was unique and her enviousness added clash,tension and twist in plot no one expected.On bad side she was introduced too late not being used to full potential,which was downright shame because she was on of better rivals pokemon ever had.

Zoey played important role in Dawn growth as coordinator.Her tomboyish and arrogant persona in start gave life to rivalry she had with Dawn eventually becoming her mentor which guided her during whole quest giving tips and constructive criticism.This left good mark on Dawn character because thanks to Zoey mentoring and higher level of skill she had someone wanting to catch up with,serving as push and motivation to go forward going all way through winning second place in GF.

Kenny had something going on for him and shared past with Dawn already knowing her,and i liked chemistry they had.However his rare appearances and lack of development took its toll not influencing Dawn contest quest as much as he could have been.Nando was rather pointless barely appearing,having any meaningful interaction with Ash and group being fairly forgettable.

All in all Dawn had nice quest,good development as coordinator,decent rivals and pokemon.But overexposure in some segments and lack of emotional growth were downsides.I still liked better other girls having more intriguing characters and stories imo,but Dawn was good character having her qualities.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 1st January 2012 at 10:21 AM.
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

Blog Entries

Also did anyone notice Dawn seemed to have a slight temper at the very beginning of DP that seemed to disappear rather quickly? I remember she got annoyed and argued easily (not to the level of Misty though), in Nando's debut ep, annoyed at Kenny, in the ep where Piplup/Turtwig fight.

This kinda disappeared quickly though as the writers then just focused on the girly aspect of her personality.

It's Fishing Time~ JennaJayfeather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please no one kill me, but Dawn wasn't one of my favorite characters at all. She bored me to tears. ;_; So I guess I can say "No I did not like Dawn's role on the show."
    Chiplet, Feliciano and Ravarian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Also did anyone notice Dawn seemed to have a slight temper at the very beginning of DP that seemed to disappear rather quickly? I remember she got annoyed and argued easily (not to the level of Misty though), in Nando's debut ep, annoyed at Kenny, in the ep where Piplup/Turtwig fight.

This kinda disappeared quickly though as the writers then just focused on the girly aspect of her personality.
    Um, actually I can remember her getting angry at Mamoswine's stubborness in DP134 and at Ash's recklessness in DP145, off the top of my head. I think there a few more similar examples in the middle/second half of DP.
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

Blog Entries

Yeah there were a few more times. I remember her being a lot more argumentive early on though. I think that's why people compared her to Misty a bit early on, she had a slightly more controlled temper.

I guess as DP progressed they kinda forgot this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast