13 4.96%
  • Equal

20 7.63%
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Which is better: DP or BW?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

If they wanted the "fresh start" feeling in BW, they should've used a new protagonist and had Ash as a rival. Your new protag is now the underdog who is learning something new everyday, but you still have Ash in the series who retains his battle experience and skill.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildGamer View Post
    If they wanted the "fresh start" feeling in BW, they should've used a new protagonist and had Ash as a rival. Your new protag is now the underdog who is learning something new everyday, but you still have Ash in the series who retains his battle experience and skill.
    Or instead, do what AG did. AG was almost the same, "fresh start" routine BW is doing now, but instead AG did it right. It made Ash the experienced one and introduced a new beginning female trainer and her little brother to learn from Ash.

Its funny how the writers got it right with AG's fresh start 9 years ago, respected the continuity of the show but still progressed it forward with ideas that were new to the series at the time. Ash started over with only Pikachu but his experience was retained and we didn't have a forced rival like Trip to make Ash look like an idiot.
    Johtohfiller likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Its funny how the writers got it right with AG's fresh start 9 years ago, respected the continuity of the show but still progressed it forward with ideas that were new to the series at the time. Ash started over with only Pikachu but his experience was retained and we didn't have a forced rival like Trip to make Ash look like an idiot.
    What do you mean by forced? It's not like he's being shoved down our throats or anything. Or did you mean that he just isn't a good rival?
    And I think Ash IS an idiot. Why does he keep using Pikachu? More likely than not, it always loses. I like Pikachu, but let's face it, it can't battle. Maybe 5 years ago, but not anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Or instead, do what AG did. AG was almost the same, "fresh start" routine BW is doing now, but instead AG did it right. It made Ash the experienced one and introduced a new beginning female trainer and her little brother to learn from Ash.
    In your response lies the problem - why do it like AG, when AG was already done? To imitate an earlier series is pointless when I could just watch that series. If they want the fresh start routine, do something new that maintains Ash's maturity and experience while keeping the naivety of a rookie trainer. A new protagonist and Ash as rival would fulfill both requirements while staying unique as a series and avoids direct comparisons to the AG series.

El_
    Blog Entries

Doing the show like AG is a helluva lot better than doing it like Kanto. All of AG's developments would have improved the B/W anime.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertCressLover View Post
    What do you mean by forced? It's not like he's being shoved down our throats or anything. Or did you mean that he just isn't a good rival?
    And I think Ash IS an idiot. Why does he keep using Pikachu? More likely than not, it always loses. I like Pikachu, but let's face it, it can't battle. Maybe 5 years ago, but not anymore.
    Both. Hes forced and isn't a good rival to boot. His rivalry with Ash feels like a massive step down from Paul, and Trip's character seems like a remix of Gary Oak but worse. If him and Ash have a rivalry then I would love to witness it without having to look through a microscope to find the evidence of it.

I just rather Ash went without a rival at all in B/W and they focused solely on the antagonist instead. (Plasma) Like I said before its already been shown that he can develop just fine without a rival.

As for Pikachu, hes fine. Its just that Ash being reset automatically screws him up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertCressLover View Post
    He's definitely being shoved down our throats. The writers have tried really hard to make it clear that between him and Ash he's the better trainer, when we all know that shouldn't be true. The kid shouldn't be able to even stand in Ash's presence, much less defeat him in a battle. Ash have been MADE into an idiot. I assume that you've watched some of the past regions. If you have, then saying Ash is an idiot and nothing more is idiotic on your part and shows a lack of understanding for the character. So you're saying that as recently as the Sinnoh League Pikachu wasn't a good battler? When it took out a legendary? Pikachu should be able to take out any of Trip's Pokemon without any hassle, but again the writers are shoving Trip and his abilities down our throats, so everyone else looks worse in comparison.

I always thought that AG did the best with having the new feel to it, just like the Hoenn games did.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

You guys are sliding just a tad too far from the topic...

In case you want an alternative, the topic of whether or not Isshu is a Kanto reboot is here

back for now... returnofmastercrazyhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add returnofmastercrazyhand on Facebook
    Visit returnofmastercrazyhand's Youtube Channel

DP because ash looked better and it sucked less and every season the show gets worse quality-wise

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildGamer View Post
    In your response lies the problem - why do it like AG, when AG was already done? To imitate an earlier series is pointless when I could just watch that series. If they want the fresh start routine, do something new that maintains Ash's maturity and experience while keeping the naivety of a rookie trainer. A new protagonist and Ash as rival would fulfill both requirements while staying unique as a series and avoids direct comparisons to the AG series.
    We've had Ash being experienced with a rookie trainer traveling with him twice now. Ash will always start over with a new pokemon team anyway.

The only reason I even brought up AG is because it was the only other time the series really did feel like it was trying the, "fresh start" approach, even if it kept the majority of the cast the same. And unlike Best Wishes, it felt like a direct sequel from what had come before it and progressed all the characters to make it seem like they had grown. I remember watching AG directly after Johto and being shocked by how mature and older looking Ash seemed. Even though he was still 10, he LOOKED older and the fact that he had younger characters traveling with him reinforced it. It almost seemed like the series was designed for the kids who had grown up with the show, as 5 years into the series had passed back then.

Now Best Wishes makes it feel like the last 13 years almost never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue1225 View Post
    He's definitely being shoved down our throats. The writers have tried really hard to make it clear that between him and Ash he's the better trainer, when we all know that shouldn't be true. The kid shouldn't be able to even stand in Ash's presence, much less defeat him in a battle. Ash have been MADE into an idiot. I assume that you've watched some of the past regions. If you have, then saying Ash is an idiot and nothing more is idiotic on your part and shows a lack of understanding for the character. So you're saying that as recently as the Sinnoh League Pikachu wasn't a good battler? When it took out a legendary? Pikachu should be able to take out any of Trip's Pokemon without any hassle, but again the writers are shoving Trip and his abilities down our throats, so everyone else looks worse in comparison.
    Trip hasn't even been shown in that many episodes. And even when he is shown, he just battles Ash and whatever the result is, he leaves. It's not like he constantly hangs around. It's not like he was Gary, who just shown in the random-est of episodes and doesn't even battle Ash sometimes. And yes, I have watched past regions (except the Hoenn ones, which I still want to see). What does past regions have to do with Ash being stupid now? Pikachu was kind of bad in Sinnoh, just not as much. And taking out a legendary was probably all luck, but I didn't see that episode so I wouldn't know.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

Um, I dunno about which is better. I think DP seems a little more dramatic and has a better rival... So, at this point I'd have to say DP is a little bit better. Ash is less annoying in those seasons(though he's still an idiot)... But, here it comes, when N appears, totally BW will be better!!! For sure!

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Blog Entries

Follow Madame Pika on Tumblr

I don't think N can be relied upon to make Best Wishes work. N is a character that everyone's exspecting to be really well produced for the anime but it is possible for a complete mess up.

In answer, DP. DP succeeded in pretty much every area that BW is failing: rivals (aside from Bel, Cabernet, Nozumi and Kengo but even then...), continuty, token girl, battles, plot, humour, ect. I could go into it but I feel that other people have already talked about this. I'll just add that I'm sick of most of BW's running gags.

I'm actually afraid of them putting N on the show because I don't know if they'll make him good or screw him over. Bianca is okay but she was pretty strong in the game. I'm not seeing that yet. Ash needs to be stronger, and Trip needs to get more done. I just hope that if they do decide to make N, please don't butt fuck us with bad material.

But to answer the question, DP for now.

El_
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Madame Pika View Post
    I don't think N can be relied upon to make Best Wishes work. N is a character that everyone's exspecting to be really well produced for the anime but it is possible for a complete mess up.
    We should have gotten N much earlier. N should have been shown as soon as possible IMO, maybe even letting him reveal himself right alongside Zekrom's appearance.

Sadly though, its possible that he may never appear at all... /cry Even in the movies, his role is basically usurped by Dread, and in the anime Team Plasma has had virtually NO influence at all. Not a mention, not a cameo, nothing.

Excluding that cut episodes of coarse, but you really have to wonder if that episode had aired would Team Plasma still be absent for so long and why? Their absents is also hurting the B/W anime by a good deal. Their plot is what made the B/W games so good and deep to begin with. Out of all the villain teams, theirs was the one that actually made me think about what I was doing in the games. I can only imagine the impact they would have had on Ash.

I'm sorry if I got off topic there, I just wanted to show that the B/W anime is missing what the B/W games were about: depth. Sinnoh had it down though, which is exactly why the D/P anime is better.
    Bouffalant Herdier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    Sadly though, its possible that he may never appear at all... /cry Even in the movies, his role is basically usurped by Dread, and in the anime Team Plasma has had virtually NO influence at all. Not a mention, not a cameo, nothing.
    Actually, in episode 1 or somewhere around that, Giovanni mentioned an evil organization that has the same-ish goals that they do. Or something like that.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast