20 7.63%
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Which is better: DP or BW?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

Okay, I'm back here again...

Story wise: DP overall tops BW, but Episode N tops DP's Galactic plot. They certainly did put in a lot of effort creating Episode N.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DP, because it had better battles, and still had Brock and funnier Team Rocket.

Both of them aren't very good, though.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In DP you actually felt like something was actually going on in the series. You had two questlines going on at once, rivalries that all went on throughout the saga, and the Galactic and Hunter J eps were spread throughout it. That and it had smarter use of arcs every so often, tag battle tournament, Wallace cup, summer school, Battle Pyramid, HGSS arc, etc....and much better focus for the Gym leaders.

Ash had a smaller pokemon team which was better because you could see how each was developing. Brock/Team Rocket's gags were dead, and some rivalries were just boring (Kenny), or MIA (like Nando), or too Mary Sue-ish (like Zoey), but it did a lot of other things right.

Looking back DP was the last saga I still watched consistently. I even saw all the BAD episodes of DP for god sakes.
    Caseydia, P0KEM0N and Johtohfiller like this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    In DP you actually felt like something was actually going on in the series. You had two questlines going on at once, rivalries that all went on throughout the saga, and the Galactic and Hunter J eps were spread throughout it. That and it had smarter use of arcs every so often, tag battle tournament, Wallace cup, summer school, Battle Pyramid, HGSS arc, etc....and much better focus for the Gym leaders.

Ash had a smaller pokemon team which was better because you could see how each was developing. Brock/Team Rocket's gags were dead, and some rivalries were just boring (Kenny), or MIA (like Nando), or too Mary Sue-ish (like Zoey), but it did a lot of other things right.

Looking back DP was the last saga I still watched consistently. I even saw all the BAD episodes of DP for god sakes.
    I actually thought that DP made Brock's gag funny again. I was so sick of Misty and Max pulling on Brock's ears, but Croagunk giving him a Poison Jab was actually pretty funny. It was slightly different and it just worked a lot better than when Misty and Max did, especially when Max acted kind of harsh at times. Team Rocket's gags weren't as funny, but they could still be fun characters to watch. I still don't see Zoey as being Mary Sue-ish when she lost at least twice and actually put in a lot of hard work into her combinations. It was primarily off-screen, but that's because of how she wasn't in the main cast. Mary Sue-ish characters don't tend to work for their accomplishments. Though, I agree that DP made a better use of its time with its various arcs, the development of Ash's Pokemon team, better focus for the Gym Leaders, better battles and an excellent rivalry with Ash and Paul. While Zoey was boring as a rival, she did work well as a mentor figure for Dawn and in my opinion, she deserved to win the Grand Festival with all of the skills she showed throughout the series.
    Sakuraa and Johtohfiller like this.

I'm in the D/P camp, easily. The B/W anime is just a mess a lot of the time...the team Plasma fiasco, some of Ash's Pokemon barely getting development, aspects of Ash's character feeling like they got reset, and so on. Paul is probably one of my favorite characters in the entire anime. It's nice to have a non-bad guy character who actually has a way different perspective on training and battling with Pokemon other than "Pokemon are always my friends and I will play and get to know them!"
    Hidden Mew, P0KEM0N and Caseydia like this.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Definitely DP, in my opinion. I'm pretty disappointed with BW.

1. Fillers: BW had WAAAAY too many fillers. It just felt like it took forever for something significant to happen. To make this worse, some of them were repeated! Axew getting lost again and again! It's getting absurd now!

This is even sadder when DP was when I truly first realized what a filler episode was. It was that Tangrowth/Giant Tree episode where I first thought: "Why the hell is this happening and why am I watching it?" And yet, BW has managed to top that moment.

2. Trip: Maybe this is just me, but I felt like we got a lot more of Paul than Trip. BW was the generation of Rivals (EVERYONE had one and Ash had four), yet the first one didn't seem to be very prominent to me. Actually, maybe that's why we had so many rivals. Also, Trip just seemed like a rehash of Paul. Or at least he started out that way with his thinking of Ash as pathetic. Then, after the first few episodes, it feels like he sort of disappeared for a while. I preferred Ash's rivalry with Paul. Paul was a rival Ash needed. Trip barely did anything in terms of being a rival, in my opinion.

3. Ash's downgrade: Ash. Was. An. Idiot. This. Season. I cannot believe they did that to him after all he did in DP. He battled with real strategy, not always using moves and even implementing contest moves in DP. Not it's just NVE attack after endless attack. This is just sad. I'm willing to say he's doing worse off than the Original Series. His strategy to beat Elesa still floors me. It seems like everything they could have done to ruin Ash's character was done in BW. Despite never winning a league, he'd made a good run for it up until BW began. Now, he's just pitiful.

4. I'll just keep this one short since I shouldn't have to explain. DP League was without a doubt better than what we got in BW.

I'm thoroughly disappointed with BW. I was expecting it to be really good and much quicker since there weren't going to be any contests, but it's just been, in Paul's words, "Pathetic".

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post

1. Fillers: BW had WAAAAY too many fillers. It just felt like it took forever for something significant to happen. To make this worse, some of them were repeated! Axew getting lost again and again! It's getting absurd now!
    Actually, I think DP had much more fillers and was super sloooooooooooow. The difference is that the BW fillers suck much more.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first DP filler was that either that early Raichu filler owned by two women, the Roserade filler, or the strongest Magikarp.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post

Actually, I think DP had much more fillers and was super sloooooooooooow. The difference is that the BW fillers suck much more.
    That's true, and I'd meant to add that to my post. The fillers in BW are really uninteresting, and as I said before, reused. Why would I want to watch the same filler event more than once?
    Sakuraa likes this.

Moe
    Blog Entries

The BW fillers are the only thing that saves the series - the supposed non-filler, like the Gyms, tournaments and major storyline arcs were almost all awful compared to DP.

DP's still better overall as those are the bits that matter most.
    Shinneth and Ambipom666 like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

DP is the clear winner here, but to say BW sucked completely wouldn't be right for me as the series did a lot of things right in my book.

Hopefully writers will learn from their mistakes and give us a much better story in X/Y.

DP, BW has too many flaws. The only flaw about DP was that the DP trio's chemistry was horribly stale and boring

DP is the clear winner, no contest. BW by comparison is the worst series because of horrible pacing and plotholes along with subpar rivals and the battles are the lamest I've seen.

Ash was a complete idiot. Seriously, DP Ash would have wiped the floor with Cameron rather than BW Ash losing everything to LUCARIO. No wait, almost everyone in the series was an idiot except for Teams Rocket and Plasma.

In comparison to DP, DP may have had A LOT of fillers, but BW had fillers than can rival Johto fillers in terms of being horrible.

The only thing that I can say why DP could be worse than BW is because of the lack of chemistry within the trio.

Seriously, I haven't have been so into Pokemon for years until I discovered DPPt. Great series and good movies as well.
    BW can't come close, the movies seemed to be boring to watch for me. It seemed that BW was almost a total waste of my time watching anime.

But to say that BW was the worst series of all time would be pushing it until we have yet to see the XY anime adaptation.
    Shinneth, Mikuri, Caseydia and 1 others like this.

DP, hands down.

I'm not saying that BW is an horrible series, but it didn't satisfy me as much as the others and has disappointed me so many times that I can't remember.

Visit szmty's Youtube Channel

Original series: Ash acts like an idiot
    Advanced series: Ash is slightly less idiot
    DP series: Ash got a little smarter
    BW series: -reset-
    Thunder Stone likes this.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast