Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Which is better: DP or BW?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

Ash should have won the league back in DP. :/

The battle tactics in DP is great. Those contest-based moves and especially Ice Aqua Jet and Counter Shield are awesome.
    If Ash have brought these to Unova, I think I'll vote Unova but he didn't. So my vote goes to Sinnoh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProngedDread837 View Post
    An example of noob WiFi trainers using legendaries
    ಠ_ಠ
    Pronged Pickle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pokedax_e View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ProngedDread837 View Post
    An example of noob WiFi trainers using legendaries
    ಠ_ಠ
    I stand by my opinion :3
    Last edited by Pronged Pickle; 12th July 2012 at 03:11 PM.

Trophies

I think the writers in BW tryed to completely change everything. That is why Unova is supposidy so far away. They probably did this to gain viewers but it kinda backfired on them and BW is now became one of the worst series so far. Due to the new look of everything (new characters, location, pokemon, even new Jennies and Joy's) people cant relate to old series and therefore dont enjoy it as much. I for one watch pokemon because I enjoy seeing reccurring characters and events and therefore BW hasent appealed to me

I am glad that writers have kind of realised these errors and have brought back old pokemon and old reccurring characters. There has even been a Brock fantasy. Itll be interesting to see the development in the upcoming episodes.

Blog Entries

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."- Walt Disney.

I gotta say, I really didn't think either DP or BW were good, so I picked "neither". But I agree with mwetwe, I hope that TPC did get that kick in the teeth and that they're motivated to deliver higher quality in the future. BW2 still has many kinks unfortunately, but it feels like they are starting to get on the right track.
    Yankees4life likes this.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

To me, it goes: Original Series (Indigo League and Orange Island League) > Hoenn era (Advanced Generation) > Sinnoh era (DP) >> Johto era >>>>>> Best Wishes

Best Wishes is easily the wost era in the show's history IMO
    The Network likes this.

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I like BW because it's really experimental and takes risks. Sure, it's trying to call back to Kanto's originality, but it easily sets itself apart from other seasons. Sure, a lot of the choices made didn't work very well, but it's good to see the show trying new things. And those who hate the BW saga, aren't you glad the quick pace means that it's going to end soon?

An issue I have with DP is that it was long and boring, and not a lot of risks were taken: Dawn just had to work off of May's part on the show, Brock just did what he's been doing for years, and Ash didn't have any big changes. The series was a long, filler-ridden, boring drag. In BW, Iris takes after Misty but has a more unique spin to her; Cilan is a fresh face and completely different from Brock; and Ash actually catches more Pokemon, which really spices up his team. And BW is very quick, so there are less episodes that drag the pace down.

For me, BW wins by a long shot. But I think that BW would actually be much better if it had DP's length, so it can actually develop its new ideas more. BW is rushed, but it does have more content and fun than DP, so it deserves more time to play around with. Likewise, if DP cut out some of the training episodes, generic stories and awkward fillers, it'd be a lot more fun and enjoyable for me. DP isn't a bad series, but its length and lack of originality or risks kept an otherwise good series from being one of my favorites.
    Last edited by Karamazov; 7th November 2012 at 04:24 PM.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

I don't think Best wishes takes risks same filler, same domination of rival over Ash, same explanations of VERY VERY VERY basic type relations. Hey anime we already know the starter triangle what to explain that dark is good against ghost or bug is good against dark or rocks good against bug or ground is good against FOUR types that aren't electric. Same Ash derps. Sure it does end TR frequent intervention but taking away that part doesn't work unless the core is good. It seemed very safe to me. It does give sidekicks rivals but it still uses the drab sidekick system.

All best wishes had to do to get on my good side is to introduce street toughs with Sandile early on. Come on its the perfect thug pokemon besides Scaggy.

Best Wishes isn't using what makes gen 5 so great.

More mature story

No team plasma Ash is ten

Awesome dual types

ignores Krookodile and Scraggy's dark type capabilities are ignored. Skyla Krook have the advantage against Swoobat not the other way around

Unlimited TM's

Ash's pokemon still like previous saga's use weak moves well past their expiration dates

Gen 5 five to me seemed what best wishes doesn't even try to be. Badass.
    Last edited by Phoenixphlare; 7th November 2012 at 05:59 PM.
    The Network and Madame Pika like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Diamond and Pearl for me. At least back then the main characters actually knew what the hell they were doing. I never understood why people had problems with how long DP was, either. Sure, DP isn't perfect but it's about 10x better than Worst Wishes. Dawn is also better than Iris in every way.
    Hidden Mew, Hoopa and Mikuri like this.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

DP has the better story but slow pacing and BW has the no so stellar story but faster pacing.

The way the friend interaction is done in best wishes between Iris and Cilan is better than Between brock and dawn.

As for the rivals, I like all the rivals from both generations.

Unlike best wishes, I like the first 22 episodes of DP.

Tho, I still prefur BW as of now although that may change at some point.
    -------------

Best Wishes isn't using what makes gen 5

Gen 5 is best wishes, gen 4 is DP (diamond and pearl).

^He knows that. Read the post further than you did. xD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ♥Lady Marie♥ View Post

Best Wishes isn't using what makes gen 5

Gen 5 is best wishes, gen 4 is DP (diamond and pearl).
    I meant of the games. The unlimited TM's new dual types and TP. Make BW1 and BW2 badass games. Even though it's for kids it's still badass Kirby is one guy I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. But best wishes just makes jokes I like jokes but I either don't get them or they're not my style. Maybe I'm getting old but a Johto episode I don't remember made me laugh. Maybe I'm getting old or grumpy or maybe its because I can't get into comedy that doesn't have a good or at least clever or heartwarming story.
    PockyAddict likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    I like BW because it's really experimental and takes risks. Sure, it's trying to call back to Kanto's originality, but it easily sets itself apart from other seasons. Sure, a lot of the choices made didn't work very well, but it's good to see the show trying new things. And those who hate the BW saga, aren't you glad the quick pace means that it's going to end soon?
    I respect that they're trying out different choices here, but when most of the choices don't work out and the series in general feels like a step-backwards, rather than forward, I don't really like it. While I wouldn't say that I hate the BW series, I don't like its faster pace and I would have preferred it if they did slow down to have more training/character development. Though, Ash not capturing so many Pokemon really would have helped with that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov
    An issue I have with DP is that it was long and boring, and not a lot of risks were taken: Dawn just had to work off of May's part on the show, Brock just did what he's been doing for years, and Ash didn't have any big changes. The series was a long, filler-ridden, boring drag. In BW, Iris takes after Misty but has a more unique spin to her; Cilan is a fresh face and completely different from Brock; and Ash actually catches more Pokemon, which really spices up his team. And BW is very quick, so there are less episodes that drag the pace down.
    Despite having the same role, they handled Dawn quite differently from May and many would argue that she was handled better. They took their experience of writing Contests in AG and made the writing stronger for Dawn, although staying in one region and not having two Contest arcs in DP also probably helped them out. Ash's rivalry with Paul was enough to keep him interesting for me. I liked Brock, but I can understand why people find him boring. I can also understand why people thought DP was boring, but it wasn't full of filler. Despite staying in one region and having so many episodes, there's not a lot of filler there. While maybe they didn't take as many risks, I think that the changes they went for actually paid off, which is more than I can say for most of the chances they took in BW. Iris is basically the worst aspects of Misty for me with a more annoying personality, but Cilan is a fun character and at least stands out more than Brock and Tracey did. I don't really like Ash capturing so many Pokemon. Most of them are forgettable and underdeveloped. I would have much rather see him have five or six Pokemon caught during his Unova journey that grows at a good pace like in AG and DP. At least there would have been more of a chance for development and more believable battles if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov
    For me, BW wins by a long shot. But I think that BW would actually be much better if it had DP's length, so it can actually develop its new ideas more. BW is rushed, but it does have more content and fun than DP, so it deserves more time to play around with. Likewise, if DP cut out some of the training episodes, generic stories and awkward fillers, it'd be a lot more fun and enjoyable for me. DP isn't a bad series, but its length and lack of originality or risks kept an otherwise good series from being one of my favorites.
    Having more time to work with its ideas might have helped BW be a stronger series, but as it is, I don't think that just having a lot of ideas that aren't that well fleshed out makes the series better than DP. I actually liked some of the training episodes. I prefer seeing how the Pokemon learn a new move as opposed to having them come out of nowhere. Even if it did cut out the filler episodes, I don't think that the length would change that much.

DP is still far better than BW for me. It seemed like they had a much better handle of the characters and the battles in DP than they currently do in BW. I also prefer the slower pace in DP over BW. I thought that they were able to make better use of that pace with setting up conflicts/rivalries and just used that time to their advantage. It also helps that I believe that a slower pace show generally doesn't miss as many opportunities as a faster-pace show does, although that isn't always the case by any means. BW does have a lot of ideas that looked good on paper, but the execution has left a lot to be desired. DP may not be my favorite series, as I still think I might enjoy AG more, I do think it was much better than BW.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I prefer DP but I do like some of the aspects over BW over it. The way I see it, DP went on too long but BW is too rushed.

Although DP had a lot of important episodes, spending an entire episode to teach a Pokemon a new move was boring as shit, and lots of DP episodes were about that. I understand why some training episodes are important, but sitting through it for an entire episode was just awful.

And honestly with the exception of Paul, Barry and to a lesser extent Conway and Ursula (who barely appeared), the DP rivals were dull and forgettable. Even Zoey who appeared so much generally got duller and duller with each appearance until she became a Mary Sue by the end of the region.

And I don't think I have to mention about the lack of chemistry of the DP trio.
    Guy_Spy and Insanish Danish like this.

Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast