• Equal

20 7.63%
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is better: DP or BW?

It's Fishing Time~ JennaJayfeather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Except DP had plot and character development, which is exactly why the saga was liked when it was airing. I understand people not liking parts of DP, but at least it showed that the writers are capable of continuing plotlines and arcs when they try.
    I don't know. It just felt too serious at times, like it was trying to have this "drama" about it, but to me, it just made it feel childish (as in more of a child trying to act "grown up" when it doesn't have to). Perhaps, I was growing out of it then...but I could only focus on episodes when it had something funny happen. Like Barry.

Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dentogirl View Post
    Except DP had plot and character development, which is exactly why the saga was liked when it was airing. I understand people not liking parts of DP, but at least it showed that the writers are capable of continuing plotlines and arcs when they try.
    I don't know. It just felt too serious at times, like it was trying to have this "drama" about it, but to me, it just made it feel childish (as in more of a child trying to act "grown up" when it doesn't have to). Perhaps, I was growing out of it then...but I could only focus on episodes when it had something funny happen. Like Barry.
    We do have to remember that it is a kids show, that is about kids. Which is part of the reason I like BW so much. The characters show that they're mature enough to be out on their own at ten, but still show that they are ten year old children. Like Trip in the episode with Alder, or how Cabernet and Langley always act. Stephan challenging Ash to an eating competition, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dentogirl View Post
    It felt like the writers were trying to turn the show into a more dramatic or plot-driven series. You could tell it was leaning in that direction when AG was airing, but it wasn't quite there yet. Yes, I found the DP trio bland, but the actual episodes made me like it.

DP simply has some truly epic moments that most other sagas simply don't have. It was the only saga to make me feel that instead of being a repetitive kids show, it was showing the potential of being much more. I was absolutely blown away by all the Hunter J, Team Galactic and Paul episodes. The development of the Gym leaders and the battles were done the best. It also had smart use of mini-arcs, where most events were connected to other episodes no matter how minor. There were several episodes which made me say, "Holy shit, this is actually happening in Pokemon?"

DP was basically a combination of everything the writers learned from Kanto through AG. It was like a step forward from everything of the last 10 years, but the only problem is it was brought down by bland group dynamics and some duller contest characters.

Blog Entries

@Gliscor'd there was also the fact that DP has the most episodes of any of the series so far, yet the only rivals we got too see in a decent amount of episodes were Paul, Zoey, and Barry. Take Nando for example: He appeared in three episodes early in the series, two of which were centered around him, yet he didn't even get that much screen time, and after his third episode he doesn't have a non-cameo appearance until the Grand Festival. Ursula was similar to this that she didn't appear until the end of the series, when it would have been more interesting to see her multiple times because here rivalry with Dawn was different than Zoey, Kenny, and Jessalina. Dawn never even fought Nando in a contest either.

It really doesn't matter. If you count them by series, then AG went on for as long as DP did (they both literally had exactly 191 episodes), and Kanto/Orange/Johto together has 276, but in keeps mostly the same cast and recurring characters.

I didn't like everything about DP, but what it did do well, it did extremely well.

Blog Entries

I didn't realize they were the same amount, DP seems longer, though that's probably because it has so much filler. AG put the Hoenn league and the Battle Frontier in one. It would have been nice to see the Johto/Sinnoh battle frontier.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mwto View Post
    DP seems longer, though that's probably because it has so much filler.
    Actually, it really didn't. If you look through the list of DP episodes, you'll find that many of them advanced the plot in some way, shape, or form.
    Keep in mind that lots of episodes in between towns =/= lots of fillers.

Blog Entries

Filler or not, the majority of the DP episodes still felt like fillers IMO, even if they were not. That's how amazingly bland and boring they were at times, like there was no real driving force there to support them, and they gave me a hard time only trying to keep my eyes open (especially when Dawn played a leading role). But hey, that's just me thinking.

I would probably have enjoyed the saga so much, much more if only May had stayed with the gang, and maybe even Max (I'm actually one of those people who didn't find Max to be too annoying, I actually enjoyed him). May is like one of my favorite characters ever, I enjoyed her interactions with both Ash and Brock so much and the three of them would probably have been way more entertaining then the saga's real Trio, at least that's what I think. Oh well, nothing to do about it now, but itt's very unfortunate that Dawn replaced her.

Well Dawn made up roughly 50% of DP, so if you didn't like Dawn, of course you're not going to enjoy 50% of DP.

At the least you should have enjoyed all the Ash stuff, the rivals like Paul and Barry, as well as the villains like Galactic and Hunter J.

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

Well Dawn made up roughly 50% of DP, so if you didn't like Dawn, of course you're not going to enjoy 50% of DP.

At the least you should have enjoyed all the Ash stuff, the rivals like Paul and Barry, as well as the villains like Galactic and Hunter J.

I didn't give two bucks about Dawn in DP. I actually complain alot about DP , but even I can realize how it's superior to whatever the hay Best Wishes is supposed to be.

Despite everything that's going on now in BW, I still think DP is the best. BW is alot about the Pokemon development. With DP it was actually character development. I barley see it here. I mean where was the last episode in BW where an episode was completely dedicated to Ash's character instead of Oshawott all the time? Not to mention some others who might can use some more screentime. BW is good but I like DP more.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

I've realized that I never actually made a post containing a real analysis regarding this topic. So yeah, here I go:

Which is better: DP or BW

Best Wishes/Black and White. BW. BW. BW. BW. BW. BW. BW a thousand times.

What can I say? The writing took a huge dump with DP. It was as if the writers learned almost nothing from OS till BF. Rehashed plots were rehashed for the worse, the 'character development'(I don't even think that it should even be deserved to be called that) started to massively suck with no believable growth or reason, most of the fillers stopped being fun and interesting, the gang's chemistry was non existent, Team Rocket should have already been arrested, the characters were stupid, logic completely died, gravity was being defied in 'serious' episodes, onscreen training episodes were numerous, dull, unproductive and pointless, the Pokemon were unfunny and not entertaining, most of the rivals sucked(I'm looking at you Paul, Kenny, Zoey and Barry), the battles and contests became uninteresting, unexciting, predictable and boring to watch(with only a few being any good), what would happen later in the show became too predictable, plots were dragged on for far too long, I started hating Pokemon that I previously liked(Piplup being No.1), characters that were compelling and interesting were treated horribly, cohesive plots led to cheap, overlypredictable and disappointing payoffs, Cyrus was transformed into a generic cartoon villain with no depth, the overuse of convenience and stupidity was writing the majority of the plots and episodes in DP, certain portrayal of characters from the games didn't live up to expectations, the audience was constantly being treated like as if it was stupid, morals were conveyed and said oddly with unrealistic situations, the characters didn't feel like as if they were human, the humour wasn't delivered well most of the time in which it failed to blend with the situation to lighten up the mood aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnndddddd I guess that's it. Oh I think there's more, but right now I can't think of any. Feel free to add some. BW does everything better. Some still are bad, but they're surely better.

Ugh, just writing about how terrible DP is still brings back bad memories. I've been watching some DP episodes again to see if I was possibly wrong, but instead it just keeps on proving my thoughts. The sad thing about watching DP again is the depressions I keep getting again. Luckily, watching a BW episode removes it and heals me. Sometimes I asked myself why I even watched it, to which I answered myself that it was so bad that it was good. Yup, I was watching the Pokemon version of The Room. Only this one was a 191 episode saga, and not an hour and a half movie.

When DP finally ended, I cried. No, I didn't cry because the DP gang was going to miss each other's company. I cried because it was finally over. I wished that maybe, just maybe, the writers would shine light upon the series once again with BW. Luckily, with BW, my wish came true. No longer did I need to worry of watching a bad episode. No longer did I need to worry of feeling sad. No longer did I need to feel enraged. With BW, I could finally smile again watching the show.
    Last edited by HumanDawn; 12th July 2012 at 05:21 AM.

Blog Entries

After AG the anime became way too predictable but i choose DP anyway :P

DP by a country mile!
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: 10/23/2014

Diamond and Pearl. It was the only series where Ash would've actually won the league fairly, but then the writers introduced an example of noob WiFi trainers using legendaries into the anime just to keep the series going.

Although I like AG better than both...

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast