13 4.96%
  • Equal

20 7.63%
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Which is better: DP or BW?

Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    They may have been fine with it but they didn't think it was well put together either.
    Don't put words in "their"'s mouth
    Me and others here stated how much we liked the DP group and why we think it was actually much better than the BW groups and some of us even liked it the most (or equally to the other groups)

Or else all that complaining about Brock wouldn't have happened.
    Not EVERYONE complained about Brock
    Also, while I did sometimes complain about Brock I still like him and I think he's a good character and also that he's easily a much better character than both Iris and Cilan by any possible means

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    Heck, remember DP128? Look at this picture:

Dawn decided to hide behind Zoey instead of Brock. In the same scene, Brock said nothing and just looked at Paul, while Zoey spoke up.
    LOL this example really fails since Dawn didn't "hide behind Zoey", she tried to calm Zoey down so she won't kill Paul

Heck, I can't even remember any moments that Brock and Dawn even touched each other.
    Why would they need to touch each other 0__o and I'm sure if you'd look hard enough you'd find some... not like I get what that would prove 0__o

In the last DP episode, Brock and Ash didn't even handshake Dawn when they left.
    I don't remember a handshake with Misty, May, Max or Tracey when these left the cast... and you're really trying too hard to "prove" your opinions... so far I can't see any real "proof", just people who are trying to hard and overexaggerate things to act as if their opinion is a fact...
    martianmister likes this.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DP biggest flaws were stretched out gym and contest quest being mistake to set story for four years in same region, Brock poor treatment and inadequate treatment of some of Dawn and ash pokemon with some being overexposed at cost of those which were in desperate need for more development. There is also lack of chemistry between Sinnoh cast. While Ash and Dawn had good interaction two characters don't make group, with Brock not having much memorable or noteworthy moments with female part of group. Ill agree how its exaggeration to claim how Brock and Dawn didn't had some nice moments, like when he teach her how to prepare medicine, involved in Takeshi Paradise performance etc but in comparison with other groups it was too little, happening rarely. This group simply lacked tension, clash, nitpicking or anything which would bring some life preventing them from feeling so static at times.

People can say what they want but if there is something Unova has done right, its definitely group dynamic with Ash, Cilan and Iris after so many years finally delivering us cast which brings humor, conflict and interesting interacting. Ash may be dumb down abit but his mix of clueless and maturity is giving certain char to character functioning well with both companions. Iris annoyance at Cilan enthusiasm and whole nature vs science clash is providing extra flavor making them stand put in some way from all past cast combinations we had, and i think its nice for a change to have character in group which is knowledgeable and mature but at same time fascinated about Ash training style and skill as trainer bringing their interactions to new level. Characters are synchronized being actually fun to watch and while there is a lot i could say about lack of proper development, character chemistry is really something to which i cant object to feeling like friends.

After first group, i feel BW trio has best dynamic we had so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    No. You're not "we all". I do not know anything about the original trio's "dynamic" since I honestly see them as the worst group... well, until BW came and proved to be even worse, since it's just a cheap imitation that fails more than the original did
    Misty pulling Brock's ear is NOT oh so awesome "dynamic"/"chemistry"/"interactions" - it's a running gag that gave absolutely nothing for the characters or their relationship
    I strongly disagree. Original trio was imo probably best cast we ever had bringing life, comedy and depth to main cast with Ash, Misty and Brock providing adventurous feeling with their differences complimenting each other well bringing great dynamic .

Out of all females i also think Brock functioned best with Misty having things in common and sharing past as gym leaders, with specific relationship existing between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Flame View Post
    I like the Kanto ones the best, the BW are bad..... so I'd say the DP ones are better.
    I definitely agree about Kanto,but original trio had great chemistry in Johto too if you ask me.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 26th April 2012 at 02:20 PM.
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Not EVERYONE complained about Brock
    Also, while I did sometimes complain about Brock I still like him and I think he's a good character and also that he's easily a much better character than both Iris and Cilan by any possible means
    Now you're making your opinions sound as if they were fact.

Heck, remember DP128? Look at this picture:

Dawn decided to hide behind Zoey instead of Brock. In the same scene, Brock said nothing and just looked at Paul, while Zoey spoke up.
    LOL this example really fails since Dawn didn't "hide behind Zoey", she tried to calm Zoey down so she won't kill Paul
    Oops, thanks for pointing that out :P. (Zoey wanted to kill Paul? XD)

Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to become the next Kardashians. I just felt that the trio was boring(I feel that now can't I?). If you found the trio to be more exciting, then more power to you. I wouldn't want to ruin your enjoyment of the DP trio because of how negatively I think about them.

They may have been fine with it but they didn't think it was well put together either. Or else all that complaining about Brock wouldn't have happened.
    I don't think most of the complaints was about Brock himself but because of the fact that alot of times he was in the background and did nothing much for the goal that he had which ended up being changed when the series was over.
    Ash Ketchum! likes this.

Blog Entries

The problem with BW is it lacks drama and tension.

Seriously I supposed to be worried about ASH. Ash who saved the world in every movie, who beat Paul, who conquered the orange crew and the battle frontier, and lost only to the person who won the league TWICE. And who is supposed to be intimidating a bunch of new trainers serious every trainer seems pretty new not just Trip. And so what if Ash loses, he doesn't care if he loses so why should we? It is not like some asshole is going to lord it over him.

Also the battles are so clumsy and the close up are so boring the interrupt the flow. Serious It so boring and in the Durant episode it was hard to tell what was happening.

Blog Entries

The DP Saga had lots of awesome things, seriously.
    Great battles, real training episodes (even though, IMO, there were a bit too many of them..), amazing rivals (Conway, Paul, Barry), incredibly justified pokémon for Ash. Yes, when it comes to the development for Ash DP takes the prize by a long-shot.

Then there was... Dawn...
    Ugh. Well... Saying that I'm not really a fan of her is the lightest form to put it, when she actually bored me to death and failed in entertaining me at all.
    I honestly have never felt this way towards a character in the anime before, never, but Dawn was an exception. I'll spare my complaining, since it's not really relevant to this thread, but I will say that Dawn was the thing that made me despise the saga. I loved all the Ash-attention, I really did, but I almost fell asleep when all the attention was turned to Dawn, unfortunately.

So... no. The DP saga would be a whole lot more awesome if there were no Dawn, or if her amount of screentime would've been minimized to like... 1%? But of course she had to take up the role as the Co-star, ugh. And I really did try to actually change my opinion about her, by only looking for the good sides with her, but that unfortunately failed, so I just gave up on her. (However, she did kinda shine when she was sharing the spotlight with Conway. But who wouldn't have? It is Conway, after all).

BW gets my vote for several reasons that I'm too lazy to mention - it's 1AM here, so yeah ^^'' But I'll try to edit my post as soon as I have the ''strength'' to do so.
    Insanish Danish and Ravarian like this.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dawn herself I was fine with, I actually liked her for some time until her losing streak ended. I started getting bored with her personality in the second half of DP but I loved Ursula so she brought some interest back.

Dawn was brought down by lackluster character interaction from the main cast and her rivals, as well as her personality not really developing enough to where you felt like she was changing outside of her skill in contests.

I don't like the way they made her into such an Ash clone in the second half of dP either, a lot of distinct aspects of her personality started disappearing.
    Trainer Yusuf and Ravarian like this.

Find me on Serebii Forums Ash Ketchum!'s Avatar

Heck, I can't even remember any moments that Brock and Dawn even touched each other.

In the last DP episode, Brock and Ash didn't even handshake Dawn when they left.
    Ash and Dawn had their whole high-five thing, Brock said goodbye, no other main character who left the show (excluding Brock) got a handshake, so what's your point?

Black and White for sure.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I honestly don't remember complaining very much about the DP trio being bland and whatnot; most of my bitching centered on Piplup and the fact that Dawn's Contest story wasn't nearly as interesting as May's, primarily because her rivals were lacking in one way or another, and the solution to that problem was so obvious and could've been easily done. I definitely never complained about Brock, because I'm sadistic enough to always get a kick out of Croagunk Poison Jabbing his trainer in the groin or up the ass. Our closest equivalent to this now is Iris just calling Ash and Cilan kids, or "annoying" with nothing to follow up on it. It might just be me, but that "running gag" is far worse than Croagunk, and even the "pulling Brock by the ear" thing.

However, anything I bitched about in DP was before BW existed, and you know the saying along the lines of how "you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone"? That's about what happened to me once DP ended and BW began, worsened because I had high hopes and expectations for most aspects of BW, and in nearly category, BW has horribly disappointed me. I never liked Misty and still don't, but Iris is so bad that I'm actually coming to appreciate Misty in a weird sort of way. Things like that only happen under extreme circumstances, and the same can be said for the DP trio. Sure, I thought it was a downgrade from the AG group and I still believe that now, but compared to the BW trio they're a godsend. It's all about the triggers I have as an individual. Was the DP trio lackluster? Sure; it could have been done a lot better. But at the very least, they were not a source of constant agitation the way the BW trio is.

It really doesn't matter how many people think the BW trio is awesome; by now we all should know a popular opinion doesn't always mean it's accurate. It's no different from those who stopped watching Pokemon after Kanto and adamantly state it was the best series of the show without even giving the other series a chance.

When it comes down to it, the series was always in a state of improving over time, barring certain little details that didn't really ruin everything that was good about it. The only thing that was really backwards in the transition from AG to DP was the main group and the Contests; everything else was an improvement in my book, and even the Contests weren't completely a downgrade from AG's; more like their pros and cons were swapped. But BW? It overwhelms me with how downhill almost every area of the story and characters went. If I can count the things I like about BW that only go up to the first fingers of my hand, I consider that an overall downgrade from the preceding series.

But still, that's just me. Similar to Johto, BW's overall terribleness did make me reconsider things about DP that I initially hated or didn't care for. If it makes me hate Misty less, then it isn't just confined to DP, either. It's all across the board an eye-opener that tells me how worse things can really get.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

The DP trio was far too bland for my tastes. I think its also essentially what made Brock's character forgotten. Even though Brock didn't get any more screentime back in AG, it FELT like he was even more forgotten thanks to his no role on the main cast or interactions with Dawn.

The DP saga sustained itself based on its plots and battles which were very good, the characters weren't one of them. As mentioned Zoey/Kenny never really became popular and Barry didn't even show up till 100 episodes into the saga.

What the main cast is certainly affects my enjoyment of the show. I would have liked DP 10 times more if we had memorable characters interacting that I found funny, entertaining, etc.
    Karamazov likes this.

Blog Entries

The DP trio was far too bland for my tastes. I think its also essentially what made Brock's character forgotten. Even though Brock didn't get any more screentime back in AG, it FELT like he was even more forgotten thanks to his no role on the main cast or interactions with Dawn.

The DP saga sustained itself based on its plots and battles which were very good, the characters weren't one of them. As mentioned Zoey/Kenny never really became popular and Barry didn't even show up till 100 episodes into the saga.

What the main cast is certainly affects my enjoyment of the show. I would have liked DP 10 times more if we had memorable characters interacting that I found funny, entertaining, etc.
    So DP bored people at times.

BW infuriates people at times.

*Sarcasm mode* Mmmmmmmmmmm I wonder which is worse.

Blog Entries

Well both sagas have their own flaws. No saga of Pokemon is perfect.
    Yato likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Well both sagas have their own flaws. No saga of Pokemon is perfect.
    Something to agree 1000%

Blog Entries

I think aside from Paul, Conway and Barry, BW also has better rivals.

Bianca/Georgia/Burungly/Stephen >>>>> Zoey/Kenny/Nando

Granted nobody in BW could top Paul, or Barry even, but otherwise the rest of the DP rivals were pretty dull and mundane. As much as I liked Conway, we barely saw him outside those small arcs too.

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast