Which is better: DP or BW? - Page 18

View Poll Results: BW or DP or other?

Voters
262. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black and White/Best Wishes

    68 25.95%
  • Diamond Pearl

    161 61.45%
  • Neither

    13 4.96%
  • Equal

    20 7.63%
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 526
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Which is better: DP or BW?

  1. #256
    XY Piplup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,110

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Dawn had as much "funny moments" as the other girls and was as much as friend to the others in the group as the other girls if not more... seriously...
    The Pachi thing mentioned above - if anything, it showed she's doubting HERSELF, not her friends... when one gets totally depressed and think he failed, sometimes he may act on impulse like she did and won't be so calm and collected to say "oh, let's talk with my friends about it before I act"
    Also, "Iris trusts her friends and talks with them"? really? same girl who refused to tell her friends about her goal until she was forced to do it... same girl who's main relationship with Ash is based on calling him a kid when he's doing something "stupid"

    Oh, you know what? I said everything I had to say, so if anyone is interested in my opinions, feel free re-reading my posts in this thread, cause if I'll continue replying here I'll end up repeating myself again and again and I really can't bother anymore

  2. #257
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    I think the idea here is Dawn being a decent/good character by herself doesn't mean the DP trio functioned well.

    Its the same reason Dawn's rival dynamic with Zoey/Kenny was kinda dull, yet she still got good development in the actual Contests. The way I see it Dawn was handled well in terms of screentime, battles, and pokemon training, but they wound up failing with all her character interactions other than Ash and maybe Conway.

  3. #258
    Leopard Owner Trainer Yusuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Under the sun
    Posts
    2,860
    Blog Entries
    46

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    If we had Barry in the group I think it would have been 10 times funnier due to Dawn playing off of him.
    I disagree because Jun is kinda sorta a self centered Ted Baxter character, even without his fanboyishness towards Shinji(for example: DP157). He makes a great rival, that's for sure, but if he was a main character, most of his achievements would be whining towards Satoshi, Takeshi and Hikari, bragging about his (lack of) achievements and dividing the screen time even further. Even though Hikari was a good Straight Man to Jun, that aspect of their relationship would be either not explored often, or if it was, it would be reduced to an episodic gag. Not to mention, Jun didn't have notable interactions with Takeshi, even though he did try to calm him time to time(again, DP157)

    Bel, on the other hand, doesn't have such problems, hence why she works as the fourth member of BW team much more easily than Jun does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

  4. #259
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    The DP trio was still spiced up whenever a 4th character was with them, even Zoey for those episodes. It was a very poorly handled group overall. Doing two co-stars while one guy fades away into the background wasn't the best of ideas.

    DP had many good episodes but character dynamics took a hit this time.

  5. #260
    Easy listening Masurao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,313
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    Also, "Iris trusts her friends and talks with them"? really? same girl who refused to tell her friends about her goal until she was forced to do it... same girl who's main relationship with Ash is based on calling him a kid when he's doing something "stupid"
    To be fair, it's not much different than the Kanto/Johto(less so) Ash/Misty/Brock dynamics. Just replace Misty beating the hell out of Ash/Brock (ear pulling in his case) and replace it with a catchphrase, or being annoyed at the older guy antics. It's pretty obvious they wanted a "Misty-lite" character.

    I do remember when I was alot younger thinking Misty hated Ash, and Brock. It seem the "friends" line with these two wavers a bit depending on your perception. It was really 50/50 with me in Kanto, and about the same in BW (perhaps a little less for both). Especially after May, and Dawn where pretty nice, and respectful.

    I didn't mind the DP trio. The whole "Kanto-lite" group we have not is just leaves me feeling "meh" overall at this point in the series.
    Last edited by Masurao; 24th April 2012 at 07:55 PM.

  6. #261
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Then why is it, outside this thread at least, the majority of the fandom seems to think the BW trio has the best group dynamics since the original?

    I go observing the general consensus on different pokemon forums and they're all raving how the BW trio is awesome. Go to places like deviantart, youtube, etc, its kinda funny how the opinions are so different based on what site you're visiting.

  7. #262
    Easy listening Masurao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,313
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Then why is it, outside this thread at least, the majority of the fandom seems to think the BW trio has the best group dynamics since the original?
    Different strokes for different folks I guess?

    What do you like about Iris' and Cilan's individual interactions with Ash, or each other? What makes it good to you?

    Cilan, and Ash's interactions are alright. As for Iris she spends alot of her time calling Ash a "child", or Cilan "annoying". That's entertaining to you?

  8. #263
    Leopard Owner Trainer Yusuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Under the sun
    Posts
    2,860
    Blog Entries
    46

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Iris' snark towards Satoshi is okay since about half the time she is used a way for writers(maybe except Sonoda and Yonemura since those two seem to make her less snarky, I find it odd that it is Tomioka and Fujita that let her get away with a lot of her snark, especially towards Langley) to have self referential humor about the episode, Satoshi's behaviour or Satoshi's Pokémon's situation. Of course, Cabby and Langley are far superior than her in that regards, and of course in the latter half her snark is completely useless and is there for sake of being there, but %75 of that is easily ignorable.

    Iris' interactions with Dent and Satoshi beyond "Kodomo ne" and "why are you doing x, it is stupid" is pretty solid actually.

    My biggest issue with Iris was how she was extremely disrespectful towards Langley even though she wants her to become strong, she wants her to become a Dragon Master, and become strong enough to a point where she can't call her her rival. But BW081 seems to be finally fixing that issue, and making two act like actual rivals (again) beyond maybe Yonemura's episodes.

    Another issue I have with her is that her wild girl/forest child persona is not shown all too much, but I guess that's either because it would be overshadowed by BW!Satoshi or because writers don't want to write tomboys because Japanese audiences like vulnerable moe types(lolAnno), hence why only proper tomboys were Nozomi(who's... uh, Scott, you handle this one), Aoi(who is basically Rule 63 Satoshi), and Langley(who might be designed to be both, somehow). Another possible reasons might be:
    a)They realised they have been using her mysterious, shaman-like nature as a Deus Ex Machina explanation for stuff and a way to give her different outfits rather than an interesting cultural background(maybe except that one line to Doryuz in Langley's debut, which was a pretty good one).
    b)They are saving her cultural background for Dragon Village episodes.

    Also speaking of "Kanto-lite" nature of the group(which makes me feel meh not because of group interactions(I find them to be entertaining for most part), but because of indivudual treatment of characters) as I said before all of the current writers are the same ones as Kanto ones, even though in DP Sonoda didn't write any episodes and Aya Matsui* and Masashi Sogo, despite being around since the beginning of AG seems to have left for whatever the reason. At least I get why Tomioka isn't around(working on Inazuma Eleven, Plasma episodes being delayed, not being able to do whatever he wants anymore due to higher ups, lack of Rockets etc.)
    *Apparently she was series compositer of Dragon Ball GT and a writer for Dragon Ball Z and Kai. Suddenly super saiyan rodents and similiarities between Oceanus Shenron and Urara make a lot of sense.
    Afrojisiac-19 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

  9. #264
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Think of it this way, the Iris/Cilan pairing is the most popular shipping in BW at the moment. I think the fact that Iris is more heavily paired with Cilan over Ash, (unlike the previous 3 main girls), shows how much people like the Iris and Cilan interaction. The Japanese websites are filled with fanart for it.

    Iris' interactions with Ash may be lame, but her interactions with Cilan, plus Cilan's with Ash, make it worth it.

  10. #265
    Easy listening Masurao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,313
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Think of it this way, the Iris/Cilan pairing is the most popular shipping in BW at the moment. I think the fact that Iris is more heavily paired with Cilan over Ash, (unlike the previous 3 main girls), shows how much people like the Iris and Cilan interaction. The Japanese websites are filled with fanart for it.
    Really, it's a matter of opinion...just people like the whole idea of "opposites attract" doesn't automatically make their interaction good to all people.

    Maybe I'm missing something, but most of their "humorous interaction" consist of is Dent rambling on about something only for Iris to facefault soon after. I don't exactly see how that classify's a "great" interaction. I find her interaction with both to be lame, considering Ash or Cilan rarely every respond..causing it to fall flat.

  11. #266
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but most of their "humorous interaction" consist of is Dent rambling on about something only for Iris to facefault soon after. I don't exactly see how that classify's a "great" interaction. I find her interaction with both to be lame, considering Ash or Cilan rarely every respond..causing it to fall flat.
    Its basically the same as Misty pulling Brock's ear. Iris' facepalms are what she does to Cilan.
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

  12. #267
    Easy listening Masurao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,313
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post

    Its basically the same as Misty pulling Brock's ear. Iris' facepalms are what she does to Cilan.
    *Shrugs*

    I think I'd like the interaction in the group a bit better if there was some more back & forth. It's usually one way, from Iris to either of the two guys. Cilan normally doesn't care, and Ash might react by saying "What's with you?" or "Shut up." on very rare occasions. Point being, not enough of a reaction on both Ash & Cilan's parts to make it humorous.

    DP interactions certainly didn't set the worth on fire, but I didn't really find myself rolling my eyes between the interactions with the cast. The Croagunk gag however did get old though.
    Last edited by Masurao; 25th April 2012 at 12:18 PM.

  13. #268
    Future Seeker HumanDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    21

    Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but most of their "humorous interaction" consist of is Dent rambling on about something only for Iris to facefault soon after. I don't exactly see how that classify's a "great" interaction. I find her interaction with both to be lame, considering Ash or Cilan rarely every respond..causing it to fall flat.
    Its basically the same as Misty pulling Brock's ear. Iris' facepalms are what she does to Cilan.
    Exactly. Ash, May, Max and Dawn were ashamed of Brock's constant flirting and so is Iris to Cilan's and Ash's when they go crazy. Although, the only time Iris ever felt really uncomfortable was when Cilan was obsessed with trains. I personally found both gags to be funny till they got old. DP was at its worst since it was the same gag done over a hundred times. Just because a different person does it, it does not mean that it's new.
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

  14. #269
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    DP interactions certainly didn't set the worth on fire, but I didn't really find myself rolling my eyes between the interactions with the cast. The Croagunk gag however did get old though.
    Well that's because there was no real dynamic of the DP trio. Dawn and Brock didn't interact whatsoever, and Ash and Dawn just high-fived and supported each other. Ash and Dawn felt like good friends, but it wasn't like there was anything funny or really interesting about it...I mean aside from people who liked Pearlshipping I suppose.
    Afrojisiac-19 likes this.

  15. #270
    Future Seeker HumanDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    21

    Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

    Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    DP interactions certainly didn't set the worth on fire, but I didn't really find myself rolling my eyes between the interactions with the cast. The Croagunk gag however did get old though.
    Well that's because there was no real dynamic of the DP trio. Dawn and Brock didn't interact whatsoever, and Ash and Dawn just high-fived and supported each other. Ash and Dawn felt like good friends, but it wasn't like there was anything funny or really interesting about it...I mean aside from people who liked Pearlshipping I suppose.
    Misty, May and Max were the ones that stopped Brock from flirting with women. When Croagunk took the role, Dawn couldn't do it instead, which lessened any interactions between them. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but when you remove something, you add something else. I was hoping that they would have some enjoyable conversations when they watch Ash battle(since more than 75% of their conversations were when Ash battled), but they didn't have any of that.

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •