161 61.45%
  • Neither

13 4.96%
  • Equal

20 7.63%
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is better: DP or BW?

Default Re: Which is better: DP or BW?

DP's biggest flaw is the DP trio itself having no chemistry and very little memorable character interaction.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Honestly, I'm sick of people complaining about the changes in BW. I've heard many times in the past that the Pokemon anime sucks because it's too repetitive and stuff like that, and people STILL complain when BW brings changes and such! The only thing I don't like about BW so far is Ash's strange lack of intelligence as others have stated. Other than that, I think this show is ace, the best so far in the Pokemon series. I enjoyed DP enough, but BW just got me hooked and I fell in love with Cilan. He's one of the awesomest characters ever and he comes with a great catchphrase to boot. <3

Also, I hate seeing people complain about Iris because of her attitude. I actually like her attitude. It's way better than Misty's annoying whining and crap about bug Pokemon or some such. Granted, I still prefer Dawn to Iris, but Iris comes close behind. Also, her hair is win.

Lastly, Team Rocket is epic now. I liked DP, but one of the things that made me like BW more is that I was growing tired of the same old "blasting off again" thing and goofy personalities. Now, they're badass and awesome again.

Oh, and I also hate the lack of Team Plasma, but that was an earthquake's fault (lol pun), not the writers, so yeah. And speaking of puns, whatever happened to episode titles with puns? I liked those too. D:

How is BW any less repetitive though? Other than TR not being in every episodes, the average plots of BW are exactly the same as past sagas.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Not really. Team Rocket is no longer the driver of every episode and the general plots of every episode are not the same anymore. It used to be "Ash and friends meet a random person who has a problem, then they decide to help the person with their problem, then Team Rocket intervenes, then Ash and company save the day." Now we have a bunch of different plots for episodes and Team Rocket isn't even in half of the BW episodes yet. For example, one episode about Iris focused on her rebonding with Excadrill and facing Georgia. That doesn't follow the old formula. More recently is the episode about Accelguard and those Vanillite thieves. This one doesn't follow the old formula either. I could name a bunch more BW episodes that don't follow it. There are still some episodes that DO follow the old formula, but those are much less frequent now.

Next, Team Rocket themselves have changed. This is one of the biggest changes, actually. They're no longer goofy and klutzy. Now they're serious, intelligent, and even dangerous.

Also, Brock is gone. I liked him, but I grew tired of him after awhile. Cilan is way cooler anyway. <3

Another thing, everyone has a rival now. It's not just Ash or his female companions anymore (why Brock and Tracy lacked rivals is beyond me). This is a nice change too.

There are probably more changes that I'm forgetting or having seen yet.

The eps you mention exist in past sagas just with a 5 minute TR scene. Ash helping trainers or characters bonding with Pokemon is hardly new.

Likewise what development has Iris truly gone through in 80 episodes? As much as I liked her backstory you can't say she is any different from BW's start. I do like her rival though and prefer her to Dawn's mundane rivalries.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

I don't recall Ash having much to do with Iris bonding with her Excadrill. Cilan was the one who figured out the problem, I believe. In this sense, this episode didn't actually focus on Ash at all like they usually do.

And even if he had, at least there was no more Team Rocket intervention and other stuff I'm bored of.

"Past sagas"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we on season 15?

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That formula was lessened in DP, with the only real difference being that TR still appeared in every episode, but they only got a few minutes where they weren't needed and did not intervene nearly as much. There were still a lot of fresh plotlines, such as with Paul's character, and with real villians like Pokemon Hunter J.

And as Gliscor'd mentioned, there has been character development in past sagas, such as with Chimchar. I don't see much development for Iris myself, honestly; she doesn't seem to do much to help her reach her goal to become a Dragon Master, and Axew is still the helpless baby he was at the start of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    I don't recall Ash having much to do with Iris bonding with her Excadrill. Cilan was the one who figured out the problem, I believe. In this sense, this episode didn't actually focus on Ash at all like they usually do.

And even if he had, at least there was no more Team Rocket intervention and other stuff I'm bored of.

The ep you mentioned was similar to the Dawn one with Mamoswine.

So how is it new and fresh?

Kolink Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

What Gliscor'd meant by past sagas is the Original Series, Advanced Generation and Diamond and Pearl. The concept of seasons doesn't exist in Japan, and most of the seasons are only part of one saga.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

[QUOTE=Gliscor'd;3946220]
    The ep you mentioned was similar to the Dawn one with Mamoswine.

So how is it new and fresh?
    Not really. That one is more similar to the even OLDER episode where Ash finally bonded with Charizard.

About Axew, I've seen some development. He's not a helpless baby anymore. He can hold his own in battle now and learned to use Dragon Rage and Outrage. Previously, Axew had trouble against even Scraggy. Now they're at least evenly matched.

I haven't watched every released episode yet, but that's because I watch dubs.

This is still not new stuff though. It's the same Pokemon development we've seen in every saga.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

The concept isn't new, no, but I feel that BW has twisted it so that it feels fresh.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

About Axew, I've seen some development. He's not a helpless baby anymore. He can hold his own in battle now and learned to use Dragon Rage and Outrage. Previously, Axew had trouble against even Scraggy. Now they're at least evenly matched.
    He's had a little development, but not enough for how far into BW we are. Mastering Dragon Rage was legit, but Outrage - one of the most powerful Dragon type moves, if I might add - was just DEM writing for the sake of allowing Iris get an undeserved tournament win that Axew had no buisiness learning at that stage in the first place. And those moves didn't help him when dealing with Scrafty or Bouffalant; instead he just gets kidnapped (twice, in fact) and getting chased until Snivy saves him. He's still being portrayed as a baby whether he can battle well or not (which he really hasn't shown to be so far; Scraggy isn't enough). Iris just needs to let Axew battle more so he can get even stronger, instead of relying on Excadrill almost all the time.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 22nd April 2012 at 03:18 PM.

The concept isn't new, no, but I feel that BW has twisted it so that it feels fresh.
    So since you prefer Dawn over Iris, which girl do you think went through better development or had better interactions with the main cast and rivals?

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    So since you prefer Dawn over Iris, which girl do you think went through better development or had better interactions with the main cast and rivals?
    Dawn, but that's only because she's been around much longer.

Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast