Which continent are you from?

View Poll Results: Which continent do you live in?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Europe

31 24.22%
  • North America

64 50.00%
  • South America

4 3.13%
  • Africa

0 0%
  • Asia

14 10.94%
  • Oceania

7 5.47%
  • Antarctica

1 0.78%
  • I don't live on Earth

7 5.47%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which continent are you from?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Which continent are you from?

I was gonna do a nationality poll, but I thought that would be too big, so I settled on a continent poll. So, what continent is everyone living in at the moment? (if you're living on a different continent to what you normally do, or to what you used to, then you can go for either)

I'm from Europe.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which continent are you from?

North America we have nice weather.

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

Antarctica :P

What's "Oceania"? And why isn't Australia on the poll... is Oceania like a new name for Australia or something?
    Anyway, I'm from North America.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    What's "Oceania"? And why isn't Australia on the poll... is Oceania like a new name for Australia or something?
    Although you're pretty much joking, Oceania includes some minor islands like Nepal and Indonesia ...
    That being said I'm from South America
    :D

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

As @PieMaster said, I'm guessing you're joking, but as far I was concerned, Oceania is the name for the whole continent, and we never call the whole continent Australia here in Britain.

Nope, I wasn't joking... I've always learned that there were 7 continents -- the 6 listed in this poll (ignoring Oceania) and Australia. I think Australia (the continent) is made up of Australia (the country) and probably New Zealand and I think that's it. I have no idea what all those other islands are but I assumed that they were all part of Asia. So I guess its a regional thing (we call it Australia in the United States but you call it Oceania in other places) or maybe the term "Australia" is out of date.

Blog Entries
    Follow Vaexa On Twitter

Europe. It's lovely here.
    Everything is possible in the game of life.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by PieMaster View Post
    Although you're pretty much joking, Oceania includes some minor islands like Nepal and Indonesia ...
    That being said I'm from South America
    Nepal is not an island, in fact it's a landlocked country between China and India. It's definitely not a part of Oceania.
    Indonesia could be considered part of Oceania but for cultural reasons it is usually classed as part of Asia.

Anyway, to answer the previous poster's question, Oceania is basically Australia + New Zealand + a bunch of smaller countries in the South Pacific - think Fiji or Micronesia or the Solomon Islands. It tends to be used in place of Australia as a way of grouping a bunch of countries together, since Australia is just one country (and some people think it should be too small to be considered a continent anyway; for more on why that is, check this out).

Also I'm from North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik View Post
    Depends on where in North America. Where I'm originally from (Michigan) most people think our winters are way too long, cold and snowy. Personally I think the summers where I now live (Maryland) are too hot and humid.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries
    Follow Meowly On Twitter Add Meowly on Facebook Add Meowly on Google+
    Follow Meowly on Tumblr Visit Meowly's Youtube Channel

I'm from Europe. o3o

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post

Depends on where in North America. Where I'm originally from (Michigan) most people think our winters are way too long, cold and snowy. Personally I think the summers where I now live (Maryland) are too hot and humid.
    I'm also from Maryland, I'm just used to the humidity and heat, It's nicest in the spring and fall.

Blog Entries

I'm also from Maryland, I'm just used to the humidity and heat, It's nicest in the spring and fall.
    Oh yes, the spring and fall here are lovely. Especially right around now, when the dogwoods are in bloom. But yeah, I'm not used to the heat. It doesn't help that I'm generally a person who prefers cold and snow anyway, even besides the fact that I grew up around it (like, I was never one of those people who wanted to move to Florida or anything). At least when it's cold out I can put more clothes on, but it's not like you can strip down to nothing if it gets too hot. Probably why I'm planning to move to Boston next year for grad school haha.

Also it's really funny because whenever I go back to Detroit during the summer - which is usually when I have time to go back - I'm always so relieved by the weather that I used to think of as hot when I lived there. And I make fun of my friends there who bitch about the heat when it's, like, 80 degrees Fahrenheit. (I also make fun of Baltimorons when they freak out over a few inches of snow.)

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

I've lived in Delaware my entire life and am cirrently living right next to Maryland (walking distance)... and I do think that summers are way too hot. This past winter was nice... but I hear this summer will be extra hot :(

for more on why that is, check this out)
    I've seen that video before but I don't agree with it at all because my definition of continent has never been "large landmasses separated by an ocean". And even if it was, there's enough ocean between North and South America to make them separate. No one says that continents need to be islands, lol.

Blog Entries

for more on why that is, check this out)
    I've seen that video before but I don't agree with it at all because my definition of continent has never been "large landmasses separated by an ocean". And even if it was, there's enough ocean between North and South America to make them separate. No one says that continents need to be islands, lol.
    Well, I think the point of that video is that the definition of "continent" is completely subjective, so whatever you think of as a continent is just as valid as anyone else's definition.

I personally think North and South America should be considered separate continents, and Africa should be considered separate from Asia, because a narrow strip of land between continents separated otherwise by seas/oceans should be enough and it's just splitting hairs at that point. However, I do agree with the point that separating Europe and Asia into separate continents is kind of silly, and they should probably be one Eurasian continent.

Yeah, its obvious that that video was made in sort of a joking manner.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast