Earlier today, I put up an article on a website I write for about my theory on how the new Pokémon revealed yesterday will affect the story of Pokémon X and Y - or rather, complete it. Rather than writing out my whole argument again, I'll summarise my theory in bullet points:
- Both versions have a double helix on their Japanese logos. Mewtwo is known as the "Genetic Pokémon".
- The main villain team is not after Xerneas/Yveltol as their end-game. They are merely a key to gaining control of their true end-game - Éclair forme Mewtwo (if we believe the original leaker with the name. Although this theory still works if it is a "Mewthree" type situation). Note: Éclair can also mean enlightenment.
- Could Xerneas be based on Cemunnos, a God of Fertility, with Yveltol being based on Quatzalcoatl, a God of knowledge?
- Numerous Pokédex entries state that Mewtwo lacks compassion and thus cannot be controlled. Maybe the villain team in X believes the reason for that is Mewtwo's genes (nature), whereas in Y they believe it is due to Mewtwo lacking knowledge (nurture), so they aim for that version's respective legendary (or there would be two teams with those opposing beliefs).
- Pokémon BW introduced us to more philosophical themes in Pokémon with the basic "Is Pokémon training good or bad?" - the reception to that could have led to GameFreak to consider more in-depth debates in the franchise.
So yeah, what do you peoples think of the idea of Nature vs Nurture being a prevalent theme in the XY?