How to Spot A Bootleg - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to Spot A Bootleg

Default Re: How to Spot A Bootleg

I was thinking of getting this:

Nintendo Pokemon B W Plush TOY Servine Jyanobii Snivy Collectible Soft Doll | eBay

Can anybody tell me what this one is like? I like the proportions on it. A few more photos would be nice too. It's not an obvious fake to me, but I did see that exact fake Servine plastic figure while searching for it XD

It's about to get Frosty! xXFrostXx's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit xXFrostXx's Youtube Channel

Based on the location of the item, I'd say that's a legit Servine plush from Nintendo World in NYC. Somebody bought it just to put it on ebay most likely.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ruuku View Post
    I was thinking of getting this:

Nintendo Pokemon B W Plush TOY Servine Jyanobii Snivy Collectible Soft Doll | eBay

Can anybody tell me what this one is like? I like the proportions on it. A few more photos would be nice too. It's not an obvious fake to me, but I did see that exact fake Servine plastic figure while searching for it XD
    This is a bootleg seller. They use stock art for most of the images, and from looking through their store, a lot of their products appear bootlegged. If you go through their feedback, they have a few that say variations of "item was not as described".

But anyway, the Nintendo World plush are pretty awesome, I have a ton of them myself from past visits :) I don't have the second stage ones, but if I remember right, they were a bit larger than the other plush. The fabric is very soft (I think it's velboa, but someone correct me if I'm wrong here!) Here is a legit one from the vending machines in Washington (same plushes as NW, Epcot).

EDIT: Ordered a Servine Plush last night, will post when it arrives. Which is apparently 26th Aug or so. Damn Australia being isolated and such.
    Last edited by Ruuku; 10th August 2013 at 08:42 PM.

Can I try? Twinkles the Marvel Horse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gotta say, looking through some of those obvious bootlegs out there is rather amusing.
    Shant I tell you of last night's dream?

Dark forms... came to me...

whispering of Unspeakable Atrocities!

I have dealt with Sunyshore and Eevee Mart (and their respective owners) before and I cannot recommend them enough for people who want legit merchandise at decent prices. Shipping is very quick as well.

Guess what arrived on the 28th August?

Squeeee!
    The colours might be slightly faded, but its sooo cute! I just want to hug it all day!

...But there is gaming to be done!

Anyway, it came with the official tag, so it's definitely not a fake. The fabric is nice and soft, just slightly different to my Snivy's. it's kinda like those pillows you can run your hand over and they get lighter or darker.
    Ahmegahd those eyes they remind me of myself too much *breaks stare*

Thank you Aragi, I couldn't order the exact one you posted, but I definitely took a second look.

I've never come across a bootleg, thank goodness. I would be so annoyed if I got fooled, even though it is unlikely that I would.

amazing Meron's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Meron On Twitter

I had a couple of bootlegged Pokémon items when I was young. When you're a kid you don't really care if the item is bootlegged or not, though! Well, I never liked obviously fake Pikachus with wrong ear or tail shapes etc. but I didn't think about the legitness of my toy as long as it looked like the real thing. I loved my plush Pikachu that would sing Aqua's "Dr Jones" when you pressed his tummy, haha! I also had a Pikachu ring that was cute, but it smelled really bad.

y team

New Pokemon 6" Soft Stuffed Plush Toy Doll Plushie Pokedoll Umbreon Sitting Form | eBay

I'm not so sure about this one. It looks fairly decent in quality wise however I'm still unsure due to it's price and where it's coming from ... anyone able to help?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwifTer View Post
    New Pokemon 6" Soft Stuffed Plush Toy Doll Plushie Pokedoll Umbreon Sitting Form | eBay

I'm not so sure about this one. It looks fairly decent in quality wise however I'm still unsure due to it's price and where it's coming from ... anyone able to help?
    I'd stay away, since the title and origin (China) are always triggers. The Umbreon in question isn't a Pokedoll at all, even.

Looking at the photos closer, a lot of the detail is fairly off- Threads coming off the eye, the entire plush being lopsided, and sloppy stitching, for one.. Comparing to the original (Which was made my Takara Tomy), I think it's easy to say that it's a bootleg.

I don't know how much the actual plush sells for, but I don't think they go for $11.

Also, all of the other plushes they're selling are bootlegs, so I think that Umbreon is one as well.
    SwifTer likes this.

Hey, is this thread still operating?

Here's a place i found:

Pokedoll USA

It looks pretty good at first, but i had my doubts with the stock photos and the fact that they sell umbreons for $20
    I asked the owner of PokeVault (the most excellent Bootleg buster) what he thought, and he said he couldnt say for sure...
    so any thoughts, guys? too risky?

EDIT:

I contacted the site, and they said that the umbreons they get are the american ones that have gone in and out of production, instead of the japanese ones that have gone out of existence. I looked that up (its true), and i recalled that the guy who owns pokevault said that he only knows about Japanese pokedoll bootlegs. After a little more research, i think i'll get a couple of plushies from them :D
    Last edited by DarkArceus20; 1st December 2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: i got more info

Proud member of team Aqua. LONG LIVE KYOGRE!!!!!

................well hi! SapphireSerperior717's Avatar
    Blog Entries

is it bad that i'm utterly terrified right now?
    when its near a birthday or christmas, i look for pokemon plushies i want and send them to my mom, but, now that i've seen this, i'm gonna guess most of my plushies are bootlegs....
    i get them around 5-8 dollars, but its weird though...i have a flareon plushie that's pretty strong and there's nothing bad about it, it doesn't smell bad, its not even close to breaking apart, and it had a normal pokedoll tag, same thing with my mew. i don't wanna buy more bootlegs, but i don't wanna buy a audino plush for 29$, i guess i'll ask my mom for a audino thats around 20$, as i don't wanna buy a bootleg.

thank you SO much for this! i wish i could've seen this sooner! D: oh well, at least i know what NOT to do in the future. thanks!
    Insert banner of leafeon & glaceon here.
    Love Is Love No Matter Who You Find It In.
    ♂ + ♂ = ♥
    ♀ + ♀ = ♥
    ♀ + ♂ = ♥
    Put this on your signature if you agree.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArceus20 View Post
    Hey, is this thread still operating?

Here's a place i found:

Pokedoll USA

It looks pretty good at first, but i had my doubts with the stock photos and the fact that they sell umbreons for $20
    I asked the owner of PokeVault (the most excellent Bootleg buster) what he thought, and he said he couldnt say for sure...
    so any thoughts, guys? too risky?

EDIT:

I contacted the site, and they said that the umbreons they get are the american ones that have gone in and out of production, instead of the japanese ones that have gone out of existence. I looked that up (its true), and i recalled that the guy who owns pokevault said that he only knows about Japanese pokedoll bootlegs. After a little more research, i think i'll get a couple of plushies from them :D
    That site is legitimate, I've never bought from them personally, but I recognize the name, it's run by someone that is in the pkmncollectors community on LJ. The prices look right, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSerperior717 View Post
    is it bad that i'm utterly terrified right now?
    when its near a birthday or christmas, i look for pokemon plushies i want and send them to my mom, but, now that i've seen this, i'm gonna guess most of my plushies are bootlegs....
    i get them around 5-8 dollars, but its weird though...i have a flareon plushie that's pretty strong and there's nothing bad about it, it doesn't smell bad, its not even close to breaking apart, and it had a normal pokedoll tag, same thing with my mew. i don't wanna buy more bootlegs, but i don't wanna buy a audino plush for 29$, i guess i'll ask my mom for a audino thats around 20$, as i don't wanna buy a bootleg.

thank you SO much for this! i wish i could've seen this sooner! D: oh well, at least i know what NOT to do in the future. thanks!
    Depending which plush you mean, $29 is a pretty fair price for a lot of plushes out there ^^; Bootlegs are usually never more than like $10 or so from what I've seen, and even that's a lot. Pokedolls are usually about $20-$30 when they're still in stock in Nintendo World/Pokemon Centers, sometimes a bit more or less depending where you buy them from, once they're off shelves and no longer have a 'shelf' value, their price can often rise dramatically if it's one that is still popular, though it can drop as well.

Hey Araragi-hakase! Are you by chance a member of pkmncollectors on Livejournal? :D You seem very familiar but I cannot recall your username. ^^;

This is a very good How To guide. One of the things I hate about eBay is that if one item isn't a bootleg, a legit item is really overpriced. It's ridiculous but sometimes if you look hard enough you can find some rare gems for a great price. Still, I do all my buying on pkmncollectors, Sunyshore, animeraro, and pokevault just as a precaution to avoid these people selling bootlegs.

EDIT: Got to watch my language! XD
    Pokemon X EV-trained team:

Electabuzz, Charizard, Lapras, Steelix, Pyroar, Pangoro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast