How to Spot A Bootleg - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to Spot A Bootleg

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Spot A Bootleg

I've become something of an Ebay bounty hunter over the years, picking out the bootlegs and putting them to their doom. Very informative and helpful~
    Also, those figures. They are glorious.

My strategy is to check the photos--do they look home-taken? Is the product shown in a family room, bedroom, kitchen, etc.? CHances are if both of these requirements are met, you can expect a legit item .Of course this isn't always true, but the odds are much higher.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by scarlettpeony View Post
    I noticed quite a few of the 2012 Pokemon Eeveelution standing plush toys seemingly pop up over night on Ebay. They're on sale about £12.99 and bids starting at £1.00, low for this specific plush). All of them for low prices, all of them using the same set of stock images. Just a heads up. They all come from "reputable sellers" but as the first post said.

Here's an example of a Vaporeon (which I know is usually on sale for more than the others): Pokemon Pikachu Plush Doll Soft Toys - VAPOREON 8" #S540 | eBay
    And compare it to a genuine one on sale at PokeVault: Pokemon Center 2012 Eevee Collection Vaporeon Standing Plush Toy

I own a few of the standing Pokemon Center plush toys that I bought from a reputable source and they cost a lot more than these ones on ebay. Some of these items on ebay are for bid, starting at less than £1, which is ridiculously low. Just thought I'd post here because I love the Eeveelutions myself and I don't want anyone to be tricked if they are rejects or fakes.
    These look to be factory rejects, but like you've said, the use of stock art is another give away.

Just a note that many legitimate sites do tend to use stock art, but the price is usually the first indication, besides the location.

Your post was very helpful and informative, so I am going to duplicate it in the Eeveelution thread as well. Thank you :)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles101 View Post
    I've become something of an Ebay bounty hunter over the years, picking out the bootlegs and putting them to their doom. Very informative and helpful~
    Also, those figures. They are glorious.

My strategy is to check the photos--do they look home-taken? Is the product shown in a family room, bedroom, kitchen, etc.? Chances are if both of these requirements are met, you can expect a legit item .Of course this isn't always true, but the odds are much higher.
    A lot of bootleggers do this, too, but from the photos alone you can usually tell it's a bootleg. They've also often stolen photos that others have taken of their actual plushes and used them to get away with the "not using stock art" thing.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

The most important rule to keep in mind is that if something seems too good to be true, then it probably is. If you come across a pokemon toy on ebay that seems ridiculously cheap, then odds are that you've flushed out a bootleg, not a bargain.

Can anyone tell me if this figure is bootleg?img685.jpg
    img686.jpg

I'm not quite sure, you'd probably need expert opnion but all the colours are in order and the moulding looks really detailed.

Is there any posing? there seems to be a seam there where you could twist the head around...

Anyway, it's a really cute figure :P, i just want to find a Servine one easily...

amazing Meron's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Meron On Twitter

Does it have any text on its belly or back? The official figures always have a copyright text in them, unless they're really, really small.

y team

Quote Originally Posted by Meron Targaryen View Post
    Does it have any text on its belly or back? The official figures always have a copyright text in them, unless they're really, really small.
    yea it says tomy, made in china and it says Nintendo on the belly, it also came with snivy, and servine and they came with these weird little cards with there pics. snivy and servine came with little stands as well

amazing Meron's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Meron On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by cuba View Post
    yea it says tomy, made in china and it says Nintendo on the belly, it also came with snivy, and servine and they came with these weird little cards with there pics. snivy and servine came with little stands as well
    I was wondering if it would be the Tomy figure. In that case, I'm 99% sure your figure is legit.

y team

Insert Witty Title Here Azure Butterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The bootlegs are usually not as soft as the legitimate ones. The real ones use a nice but tough plush so kids (and me) can snuggle them. The bootlegs use cheaper stuff that's coarser. Sometimes the dye is less vibrant too.

real tomy Blastoise left and bootleg right, and bootleg of a bootleg last
    img693.jpg

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The rule with figures (and plushes, less often) is that if it's on-model, it's very likely legit.

img688.jpg Here we have two Kadabra figures, the one the left is the Tomy figure and the one on the Right is bootleg. I noticed that the Tomy Kadabra has a glossy shine with small shades of white, the star on his head and lines on stomach are pink. tomy, kanji symbols etc and company markings are on his tail. as for the bootleg it is a plain yellow, star is red instead of pink major give away is the tomy and company markings are on tail but not as deeply imprinted and also marked tomy a second time on his back. I doubt any tomy figure word mark the words tomy twice on the figure

Follow AmberNguyen on Tumblr

Yeah i guess that's right..

Blog Entries

Hey I have an Exadrill that does NOT Even look like one. It's Drill Claws are completely not right, nIt is not even the Same Color and it has like NO Legs at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Araragi Hakase View Post
    The ones that do come in some form of packaging are equally as easy to spot

Check out Hell's PokeMart for more examples, or if you just need some laughs.
    Why does Ash have Sailor Moon's hair? Did they even care what franchise they were ripping off?

I clicked on Hell's Pokemart and those things were horrifying. The best was Pika-Cthulhu.

Last month I purchased a Giratina plush from a small toy store. I actually got kind of nervous about it being a fake, so I brought it to a friend. My friend (the same one who bought the bootleg Cubchoo) said that she was pretty sure that it was legit - all the tags were right. She's able to tell pretty easily now.
    Last edited by zakisrage; 26th July 2013 at 09:01 AM.
    Enigma pop star is fun
    She wear burqa for fashion
    - Lady Gaga

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast