Guide: How to use a Proxy (FromJapan)!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Milkapoke

Thread: Guide: How to use a Proxy (FromJapan)!

Blog Entries

Default Guide: How to use a Proxy (FromJapan)!

Yo, everyone! Welcome to this guide, which (hopefully) will help you successfully use a Proxy Service to get Pokemon merchandise and other goods from Japan! In this case, we'll be using the Proxy Service known as FromJapan, which I have used five times as I am typing this. For this demonstration, I will be partially be using an order that I just placed!

The first thing you might be asking: What is a Proxy Service?

A Proxy Service is a business that helps you buy goods from Japan-only websites. How? You place money in a Deposit, you find an item you're looking for, you "buy" or "bid" on it, and then the item is paid and shipped to the Proxy's building, which is in Japan. Then, the Proxy ships the item overseas to your doorstep! YEAH!

A Proxy Service does NOT hold its own warehouse- It displays items that are being sold on Japan-only shops (Like Animate), or on Japan-only auction sites (Primarily Yahoo! Japan Auctions, otherwise known as YJA). In that case, items can be new or used, and you can find some of the rarest (or most common) goods from Pokemon!

Now, you're probably extremely confused from what I just said. Don't worry, I'll walk you through this. But now, you may be wondering why you should buy items from a Proxy. Can't you get the same things here? Aren't they the same price? Why would I work with a shop overseas rather than trying to find a place in my country that sells the same item? Let me give you a few of the advantages and disadvantages of using a Proxy Service.

Advantages

Cheaper items!
    Say you want an item from the Japanese Pokemon Centers, like a Pokedoll of some sort. You can easily find them in stores based in your country, but they're about $60 a pop. If you looked up the same Pokedoll on a Proxy Service, I bet the price would be cut in half, to about $30 (That's 3,000 Yen, roughly). Why is it so much cheaper? YJA and Rakuten, and other shops a Proxy is advertising, are geared toward people that live in Japan. Stuff such as Pokedolls and more are far more common on Japan, because that is the motherland of Pokemon (Not to mention, Pokemon Centers). Basically, you are buying/bidding on items that only people in Japan would be doing so otherwise. Proxy Services take advantage of those prices and offer them to people across the globe.

More Selection!
    As to what I was saying up there, since Japan is the motherland of Pokemon, they ARE going to have MANY more items than we would. Plus, Pokemon is much more common there, so it isn't a surprise that Pokemon-esque things pop up all the time.

Disadvantages

Shipping!
    This is the one thing that can kill off potential Proxy users very fast- Shipping charges. Let's go back to our Pokedoll example up there: The store closer to home has the Pokedoll of $60, and shipping would be about $10 or so to your house, so you would be charged $70 overall (Or, 7,000 Yen). Now, the Proxy Service has that same Pokedoll for $30, but shipping would be about $30 too: You have to pay for the domestic shipping (The initial seller to the Proxy Service Building) and the shipping from the Proxy to your house. I had an order the other day: Seven items total, clocking out to 6,000 Yen for it all. The shipping charge turned out to be 7,000 Yen- Domestic shipping alone was 3,000 Yen. Shipping can destroy a budget, but if you want the item, I say, GET IT.

Teeny Fees!

Proxy Services charge little bits and pieces here and there for your purchases. Two major ones are Commission Fees and System Usage. Commission Fees are common to all Proxies- They charge you a small amount of money for when you purchase anything. Think of it as an Art Commission- You ask for your favourite character to be drawn (You ask for something to be bought), they draw it for you (The Proxy buys it for you), and then you pay (Aaand you pay). System Usage fees are accounted for on how much you used their service, based on the amount of items you bought, or how much they are worth. System Usage fees are generally low, but can go up a bit if you buy something expensive, or you bought many different items.

Now, in my opinion, I think the advantages heavily outweight the disadvantages. But hey, it's your opinion. If you like this idea, continue reading! If not, I guess you can stop reading. Or not. Whatever you like, I guess.

If you have any questions on anything about FromJapan, feel free to post in this thread!
    Last edited by Milkapoke; 9th June 2013 at 09:13 AM.
    Meron and Araragi-hakase like this.

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Default Re: Guide: How to use a Proxy (FromJapan)!

I made this a Sticky because this is a very useful tool in getting rare PokeCen stuff!

Just one thing, can you please add a Spoiler tag to the large images/where the guide begins/where ever you feel would be a good place to put one? Thank you! C:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Guide: How to use a Proxy (FromJapan)!

Awesome :D

Just did! I also edited some pictures, 'cause I realized that I missed some photos, and others were out of place. But, it should be all good now!