SUPPORT: Who Suffers From Mental Illness?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Who Suffers From Mental Illness?

Visit wc662's Youtube Channel

Unhappy Who Suffers From Mental Illness?

I have major depression, post traumatic stress disorder (with night terrors) and multiple anxiety disorders. Alot of people think "well, you just need to change the way you think/look at things" but I know there are others like me that just wish that was true. It pisses me off when people brush it aside as if it's "not a real problem". What I go through affects how I live everyday, and I can't even sleep good at night. It's a miracle I'm able to get up in the morning, motivation is almost impossible to get, and suicide risks run high seeing as I'm on the worst end of the depression scale, can't say I've tried (and not the cry for help type trying), but I stay around. Who else suffers from mental illness?
    INSANITY ISN'T JUST ACCEPTABLE - IT'S THE NORM

Blog Entries

Default Re: Who Suffers From Mental Illness?

Diagnosed sichzophreinc, and somewhat sociopathic. fml.

I Claim Groudon.Yay

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Bunch of complicated crap.

Serenity is key
    Blog Entries

I have schizophrenia, and I used to have depression.
    Crack some heads for me, darlings. Thank you, and good night.

My life is forbidden Serenity's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Add Serenity on Facebook
    Follow Serenity on Tumblr Visit Serenity's Youtube Channel

Well, I'm not sure if Asperger's Syndrome counts completely, but I do have that. I also have a generalized anxiety disorder, and manic depression.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Does Asperger's Syndrome count too? I try to keep it at bay from ruining my reputation in front of everyone irl and on the internet. I also get these episodic visions of me doing terrible things whenever it involves an audience in theme parks (attacking a guy in a costume, swearing at an interactive attraction, and making offensive hand gestures), but I'm not sure if that has something to do with my autism.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    I also get these episodic visions of me doing terrible things whenever it involves an audience in theme parks (attacking a guy in a costume, swearing at an interactive attraction, and making offensive hand gestures), but I'm not sure if that has something to do with my autism.
    Hmm. Sounds kinda like OCD.

Asperger's Syndrome co-morbid with depression, anxiety attacks and OCD.

OCD is absolutely nightmarish to deal with. The only way to describe it is that it's like someone else forcing you to think terrible thoughts and they don't let up.
    Ghetsis-Dennis likes this.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

I've had obsessive compulsive disorder since I was 12 (though it took me until age 20 to actually come forward and get a diagnosis). It has its ups and downs - some days are fine, on other days I just feel like ramming a rock hammer into my traitorous brain.

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

I suffer from major depression and, like Scarlett, generalised anxiety disorder.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Asperger's Syndrome, general anxiety disorder, depression, bipolar, Tourette's (very few vocal tics). I feel these make me a very colourful person.

Gotta Catch 'em All!
    Niji likes this.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Just anxiety in general. I'm actually a really calm person, considering.

Doing it for the lulz Miss Alex's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was diagnosed as bipolar II when I was 19, but it's generally managed well. I'm fortunate and happy that my manic episodes happen very rarely, though I suffer from debilitating depression on occasion. I also have PTSD and a dubious ADD diagnosis, but I'm not so sure about that one. Someone mentioned Tourette's -- I have a mild version of it (an obnoxious single hiccup that occurs every few hours) that drives everyone insane. :P

Generally speaking, I don't discuss these things with people for the opposite reasons you mentioned -- I'd rather not have people judge or classify me based on what various mental illnesses I have and feel any pity for them. I try to manage without medication for the same reason. Because I do manage my symptoms fairly well (other than my depression, which has been particularly nasty lately), I feel like I shouldn't have to qualify that by saying, "Yay, look at me -- I can work and go to school, even though my brain is haywire!" Only two people outside of my psychiatrist know that I have the bipolar and PTSD diagnoses, and I like to keep it that way -- I'd rather not be judged classified based on those things.

PTSD episodes are probably the worst thing I experience, though. I only have one trigger for it (a song that is fortunately played on the radio less and less), but if I hear it, I can't function for the rest of the day.

Edit: I just realized that I probably came off insensitive here -- I didn't mean to be; my experience isn't necessarily the norm, and I understand that a lot of people don't feel supported or need more support to cope. I've met people with severe anxiety issues who needed constant reassurance and encouragement throughout the day, and that's just not what I prefer. Mental illness is a very personal issue, and everyone deals with it differently.
    Last edited by Miss Alex; 14th November 2012 at 04:41 PM.
    tomorrow's just a song away.

Blog Entries

Visit Orion's Youtube Channel

I have Right-brain Deficiency, bipolarity, and crippling social anxiety- caused by my RBD, mind you. Living with bipolar is Hell. Imagine being a really happy, go-lucky person, and then becoming a very sad, violent, depressed, angry, lazy, suicidal person every few days. That is literally my life.

Follow Combusken on Tumblr

I have been diagnosed with depression and social anxiety. I take medication for both.

(I'd mention "autism" too but I don't consider that a "mental illness"? I'm pretty sure it's more of a developmental disorder.)

Quote Originally Posted by wc662 View Post
    Alot of people think "well, you just need to change the way you think/look at things" but I know there are others like me that just wish that was true. It pisses me off when people brush it aside as if it's "not a real problem".
    I feel you there. I hate hearing that, and I hate that outlook, so so much.

Follow Charazemma On Twitter Add Charazemma on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wc662 View Post
    Alot of people think "well, you just need to change the way you think/look at things" but I know there are others like me that just wish that was true. It pisses me off when people brush it aside as if it's "not a real problem".

I think a lot of people think that because you can't see a problem, its not there.

I used to have bad social anxiety, didn't want meds, but saw a therapist (which was interesting, as I was in my second year of Uni, studying counselling at the time!).

I wouldnt say I still have it, I'm just very introverted and cautious with people.
    I'm a girl.

I call a Squirrel legendary in X and Y, just sayin'.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast