Where i stand Religiously

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jo The Marten

Thread: Where i stand Religiously

Blog Entries

Default Where i stand Religiously

With Easter not that far away, an old thought has re-entered my mind. Almost 3 years ago, a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses came to my house and offered their teachings. My mother couldn't get involved because she belongs to another faith, but i figured that since i was a Christian (i believe in some aspects of the Christian faith), i should give it a try, which i did.

At first, my biggest worry was that i might accidentally say something offensive, so i tried my best to stay polite. This even resulted in the Jehovah witnesses saying that i was very respectful. But, come the holiday season of last year, i finally found out that Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate Christmas, which is a holiday that i look forward to every year.

Now, the minor conflicted feeling that i had is pretty major, i don't want to just shut out what the Jehovah Witness people tell me, but i have to be honest, some of the stuff they tell me goes against what i've come to believe in in the past. What do i do?

I do hope that what i've typed hasn't offended anyone.

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

Default Re: Where i stand Religiously

I don't think anyone agrees with their religion of choice 100%. If anyone says they do, they're most likely lying. I'm the sort of person who thinks religion is more of a comfort thing, that believing in a higher power gives you purpose and meaning, and that their teachings are meant to guide you, and you're supposed to take advice from their lessons.

However, just like any mortal teacher, there can be times you don't agree with what immortal teachers might teach, and I think that's okay. That's why it's guidance, not law. Religion should be as fluid as any other personal commitments. It's not something that should be concrete. It's okay to sin, that's why Jesus died on the cross. (Or at least that was what I was taught growing up)

On the topic of celebrating Christmas, if it makes you feel any better, plenty of non-Christian people celebrate Christmas (or XMas) regardless of religion. Just take a look at this huge list of non-Christian countries that celebrate Christmas. It's especially popular in Japan. I even celebrate Xmas though I do not believe in any religion. I simply choose not to take part in any sort of religious activities and just focus on exchanging gifts.

If you want to get really technical about Christmas, it wasn't originally a Christian holiday. Modern Christmas is based mostly on the Pagan holiday, Saturnalia, with bits and bobs of Yuletide sprinkled in among other holidays. Just read a little on Saturnalia and you'll quickly start to notice the similarities. It started to become a Christian holiday when the Roman empire came under Christian rule and was forced to convert its citizens, but many of them still kept their traditions. So in my personal opinion, anyone has the right to celebrate any holiday they choose, regardless of their religious faith.
    Kaori likes this.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

Definitely agreeing with Jo here. I think the idea that anyone has to completely, 100% subscribe to any organised religion alone is a little bit limited and unrealistic for many. I think it's perfectly fine to cultivate your own spirituality in any way, borrowing teachings and occasions from here and there. If you feel there are some parts that conflict with what you believe in no matter how you research things and let them settle, then don't subscribe to those. I like to think that the real things to gain from religion are a decent set of general morals, a source of comfort and chances to spend time with others and reassert whatever faith you have. That doesn't mean you have to believe every single thing from only one religion to an absolute T or only celebrate this or that. Plenty of people celebrate occasions that they don't religiously subscribe to anyway. As long as you do things respectfully and with good intentions, I think you should freely approach, interpret and incorporate whatever parts of whatever occasions and principles you wish. You don't need to fit into a certain box to have a fulfilled and developed religious life.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

If you feel conflict with the doctrine of your church, it might be best to find a new church that you're more comfortable in. My journey in faith has been long and complicated, but if I've learned anything, it's that it's best to forge your own path, and find what is most spiritually fulfilling for you.

Blog Entries

[Disclaimer: Some things I say might cause you to think I'm cold and uncaring, so pay attention to the *ideas* I introduce, not the way in which I say them]

Part of the problem with organized religion is that a lot of people are following a particular religion (such as Jehovah's Witness) because being part of the group is an important aspect to them. Feeling like you belong somewhere is a major function of organized religion, and for that reason sometimes things that may seem weird or that you might disagree with end up making it into the church's doctrine. You think it's dumb that Christmas isn't celebrated? Maybe it is dumb. The idea is that it identifies you. You are one of *those people* that isn't celebrating Christmas. It makes you part of their group.

So why not just go out on your own? Good question. That's a perfectly good choice for a lot of people, and there are doubtless plenty of people like Jabberwocky whose faith is a completely or mostly individual journey. But for some people that isn't enough. They either aren't comfortable confronting existential questions outside of a controlled setting like a church or faith group, or they want others who share the same mindset around them. This is where it becomes a little dangerous, because these groups can quickly devolve into an in-group vs out-group dynamic, but many churches also do a good job at handling this situation.

So if you really feel like you want to follow the Jehovah's Witness faith, you need to realize that you are doing so because either you aren't comfortable coming to your own conclusions about spiritual ideas, or because the Jehovah's Witness people are people you intentionally want to spend time with in order to explore spiritual ideas. If neither of these two are your reasons, you may be considering joining them for the wrong reasons and may be better off on your own.

Sometimes I give bad advice, but I think I did pretty good here.