Long Distance Relationships- how do you cope?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shiay

Thread: Long Distance Relationships- how do you cope?

My life is forbidden Serenity's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Add Serenity on Facebook
    Follow Serenity on Tumblr Visit Serenity's Youtube Channel

Default Long Distance Relationships- how do you cope?

Just a good question for all couples in a long-distance relationship. How do you make it work? How do you cope with the distance?

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

Default Re: Long Distance Relationships- how do you cope?

I don't really know how to answer this. You mean for like, not being able to physically touch? Well I'm someone who doesn't really need to be touched all the time, so it's not like an undying urge to get a hug. When I do get it, I'll just hug a pillow, or lay down with a pillow against my back.

I'm also trying to get a job so I can raise money to go and see him. I gain nothing sitting here wallowing in the fact that he isn't here.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

My life is forbidden Serenity's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Add Serenity on Facebook
    Follow Serenity on Tumblr Visit Serenity's Youtube Channel

Well, that and just being able to make it work in general. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes if you ever get into a fight or an argument with your special someone and you can't see them...it makes things much harder to handle. Also dealing with missing them also makes it hard. I'm not a touchy person much either, but I love cuddling. I just have to use my Sneasel Plush or my Domo plush and imagine it to be my boyfriend. Sad, I know. xD

I do voice chat with my boyfriend a lot, and it does help. I still can't help but to miss him. It's not exactly the physical aspect of the relationship as it is that you just miss being around them or being with them. It's tough. ._.

Blog Entries

I just got out of a long distance relationship. It's not easy. At first, I thought it was gonna be easy to make work, but it's not. I'm not usually all touchy, but it did get hard when I wanted to hold her hand. I would see her every month or so because we were both involved in a program that had events every so often, but it still didn't really help that much. I'm not saying it's impossible to make work, I'm just saying it's hard. Especially if most of your communication is over text.
    I don't always resist, but when I do, it's with The Resistance. Stay resistant, my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Defense
    After all, what is a Resistance member if he doesn't resist?

Actual Cannibal Shiay LaBeouf Shiay's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiay On Twitter Add Shiay on Facebook
    Follow Shiay on Tumblr Visit Shiay's Youtube Channel

My fiance and I were in a long distance relationship for a long while before he moved down here to live with me. Coping with a lot of the things... well, I found ways. I actually didn't have much of a problem with the non-intimate actions I longed for. I knew that they were going to happen one day, and I was going to be patient for it. However, in times to keep my mind on the fact that I loved him instead of dwelling on what we did not currently have, we would always do things that we could do online together. Drawing, writing, role playing, watching movies, playing co-op games. It's true that we got into several fights over petty things that came up, but over time, and setting aside differences, and apologising for them, it makes the bond a little more stronger each time.

It's definitely going to be different for everyone. I just suggest doing things that feel comfortable to you both in the long distance relationship and try not to dwell on the what you don't have versus what you do have. If you're happy with someone in a long distance relationship, it's kind of counterproductive to get upset that you don't have the intimacies that help with a relationship and wanting to end something that does make you happy. That's my take on it, anyways. Relationships aren't always going to be easy -- the same's going to apply to intimate relationships as it does to online/long distance ones as well.
    Jo The Marten likes this.

deviantART | Perfect Lie | The Sinclair Journal | Level Up! | My Fanclub | Fallout Fanclub | Morty/Matsuba Fanclub | Left 4 Dead Group | TERA Player

Tempest Reach Server
    Jaydin.Byrd/37/Human/Warrior | Alloura/20/Elin/Priest | Jaysen.Biel/20/Castanic/Warrior | Kayan/6/Castanic/Archer
    Azrea/5/Castanic/Warrior | Gwenevire/8/Elin/Sorcerer | Jak.Sinclair/18/Human/Warrior | Sylsalis/10/Castanic/Archer

Celestial Hills Server
    Vaiha/15/Castanic/Slayer | Thalifra/16/Castanic/Sorcerer | Shiay/13/Human/Slayer | Mirielle.Maltrusse/23/High Elf/Mystic
    Nuell/20/Castanic/Archer | Open | Open | Open

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Really, it comes down to how important that person is to you. Reminding yourself each day that you love this person, that you care about this person, and because of that you will make this work... well, that helps a lot. The real problem I find is the physical aspect. Not just sex. Kissing, hugging, just feeling that person in your hands. That is always something I found challenging to part with. Just repeat the mantra and believe that everything will work out. That's all I can say.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Spider say Burp! Stardust Crusaders's Avatar
    Follow Stardust Crusaders On Twitter Add Stardust Crusaders on Facebook

I was in a long distance relationship once. I expected it to be easy at first, because I didn't feel like I needed to be around him 24/7 because I preferred to be independent and not have to worry too much about what my friends thought of him because they'd rarely see him anyway. He lived across the country but I'd visit him every few weekends, because his Step-sister was my best friend so we'd travel together (because she lived with her Mum in my town and he lived with her Dad and his Mum across the country), and I'd stay there for anywhere between a weekend to a month, but after a while he didn't seem to enjoy talking to me outside of the computer. Whenever I'd come over he'd just play Minecraft while I sat and read Harry Potter (I did try and join in with his games and take an interest, but he just didn't seem to care and wanted me out of his way) and would only ever show an interest in me when I went home and he'd complain when I didn't talk to him over facebook. I'd get a sense of emptiness whenever I saw couples together, and I'm generally a very romantic person anyway, so it just wasn't going to work out. I got a crush on some other guy who did pay attention to me, and that just made me feel guilty. In the end, when our conversation started to wither down to just "hi" "hi" "wuu2?" "nm, you?" "nm either", I told him that we needed to try and sort things out and that he should pay more attention to me when I came over, he didn't change. I broke up with him. I haven't been in a long distance relationship since.

Not saying I don't approve of Long Distance relationships, but I think unless you have a very good bond with the person and you both try and communicate regularly, it probably wont work out.
    Captain Crash & The Beauty Queen from Mars