SUPPORT: On LGBQ Issues

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: On LGBQ Issues

British Invasion $aturn¥oshi's Avatar Social Media Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow $aturn¥oshi On Twitter Add $aturn¥oshi on Facebook Add $aturn¥oshi on Google+
    Follow $aturn¥oshi on Tumblr Visit $aturn¥oshi's Youtube Channel

Default On LGBQ Issues

Growing up is tough. Growing up gay or lesbian (or bi) can make matters even tougher. We here at Bulbagarden wish to show our support to the communities by offering helping hands to our LGBQ youths that join.

As a gay man, I know first hand that we need all the support we can find, and that's what this thread is for. All supporters are welcome and questions and advice covering the LGBQ spectrum (for example, coming out to parents and friends) can go in here.

You may have noticed that I dropped the "T" from the commonly used "LGBTQ" abbreviation. This is because we feel that gender identity issues are different enough to garner their own thread, of which can be found here.
    Last edited by Parma; 14th May 2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Glaziola likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka On Twitter
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

Default Re: On LGBQ Issues

I'm not LGB myself, nor have I a lot of interaction with LGB community and culture, but there was an occasion at my school that made me think about them.

At the elevator in my school, there were 'ads' on small pieces of paper. Well, it might not really be an ad, but...
    Anyway, it was a student (I think she remained anonymous) who were looking for companions to form a club for LGB students in my school. I had heard about such groups in other colleges, and I thought that we already had one too since I've heard that we have a fair number of LGB people, only that I wasn't aware of it.
    For some reason I found it sad that the person had to resort to making her own notices to seek some sort of support. I hope the person had luck finding companions. Even if it became difficult to form a club, at least she'd have earned some people to talk to and expect to be understood.
    Glaziola likes this.

FC: 2294-4703-4926 | 제노바
    Friend Safari Info: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchfinder)

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

At my high school, there was a day of silence to support the LGBQ community. Basically, Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, and Straight supporters of equality were asked not to speak for the entire day. Teachers were informed of the day, so they wouldn't ask why a student is answering a question by writing on paper. The message was: "See all the voices you're not hearing. If society had their way, and only straights were allowed to live normal lives, these are all the voices you wouldn't hear."

It was kind of silly in a way, but I took part in it anyway. I had a few gay and bisexual friends in high school. Other than that, I don't know very many outside the internet. But they have my full support, 100%. Love is love, and it comes in all different kinds of packages.
    Kavidun, Glaziola and Jaden like this.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jo The Marten View Post
    At my high school, there was a day of silence to support the LGBQ community. Basically, Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, and Straight supporters of equality were asked not to speak for the entire day. Teachers were informed of the day, so they wouldn't ask why a student is answering a question by writing on paper. The message was: "See all the voices you're not hearing. If society had their way, and only straights were allowed to live normal lives, these are all the voices you wouldn't hear."

It was kind of silly in a way, but I took part in it anyway. I had a few gay and bisexual friends in high school. Other than that, I don't know very many outside the internet. But they have my full support, 100%. Love is love, and it comes in all different kinds of packages.
    I think this is a really excellent idea that more schools should take part in. Mind you, I doubt anything like this would happen in my area (extemely Christian... :|)
    Glaziola likes this.
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

you'll be the end of me. an illegible mess.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

@Jo The Marten; i love your school for that ;; i wish mine was like that, but like Shining Armor's, i live in the south in an extremely racist, sexist, homophobic, christian town. seriously, you can't go one mile without running into a church. it's insane.

being a lesbian myself, it was hard to be born into this town where everyone's shallow, selfish, and rude. i keep to myself and don't tell my peers at school, except maybe my very close friends (i don't trust a lot of people). i've taken up the courage to tell my parents and they're okay with it, thank god, but it's just the challenge of the school. :/ who knows what the students will do if they find out (actually, i think rumors have already started).

but taking into mind, i do understand what it's like to be like this: secluded, alone, and having a huge lack of support from your social community. it sucks.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Even though some places are way ahead of others, it's encouraging to see just how much things have changed for the better in a relatively short space of time. Just seeing LGBT clubs in high schools is remarkable to me; when I was in school, there was no such thing in any school that I was aware of.

It makes me feel very old, but also very happy.

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Lucifer View Post
    @Jo The Marten; i love your school for that ;; i wish mine was like that, but like Shining Armor's, i live in the south in an extremely racist, sexist, homophobic, christian town. seriously, you can't go one mile without running into a church. it's insane.
    Yeah, I consider my state (Texas) part of "South" when it's really classified as "Midwest" simply because it is in the South. But I've never really met anyone who was openly opposed to gays here. My mom is a little on the fence, but I am trying to get her to support them. I think marriage is banned here, but hopefully not forever. In my city, there's a lot of religious buildings here too, but they're not all Christian. Plenty of Mosques, Churches devoted to various types of Christianity, Buddhist temples, etc. In fact, there are two Mosques, a Church, and a Buddhist Temple within a mile of my house. So I guess it's safe to say this area's pretty diverse in its beliefs.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Lucifer View Post

being a lesbian myself, it was hard to be born into this town where everyone's shallow, selfish, and rude. i keep to myself and don't tell my peers at school, except maybe my very close friends (i don't trust a lot of people). i've taken up the courage to tell my parents and they're okay with it, thank god, but it's just the challenge of the school. :/ who knows what the students will do if they find out (actually, i think rumors have already started).

but taking into mind, i do understand what it's like to be like this: secluded, alone, and having a huge lack of support from your social community. it sucks.
    Yeah I totally understand this too. And I will say that it improves as you get older. Teenagers are really judgmental about stuff like this, and it's just something you'll have to fight through. I had to do it when I was your age (my town is deeply conservative), and as soon as I got to university, I noticed a huge improvement. Now I'm pretty much out to everyone except bits of my family. As you and your peers mature, it'll improve.

Anyway, I'm sorry that your community is like it is. Hopefully with the recent social push in the US conditions will improve. If you ever need to talk this thread is here~

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Nice to hear that there are more places accepting and becoming more open to those people. Our community isn't all that great :( I once heard from a friend at a women's school that there was a lesbian club at her school, but there were people who tracked them down and posted pictures online, marking them as, well, marked women. That was an extremely horrible thing to do, and to make them outcasts because of being a lesbian? Those terrible people were being shallow and kiddy that they just won't accept other people into their society.

Rock of Ages! Zenax's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Zenax on Tumblr

I'd say that it's because it's a small school, but beside the prom/graduation organization group there's no such club in mine. Still, even if there were one I doubt I'd join it, given how I am only out to one person in real life so far and a lot of students are either ignorant or homophobic, sometimes a combination of both. Joining that would mean coming out to everyone at once, which I am not ready to do (at least not before college). I'm homoromantic and bisexual, for the record. Somewhat gay, in other words.

Blog Entries

I would participate in the Day of Silence, but, even though my school is in New York (a state where gay marriage is legal), there is an extreme amount of homophobia where I live. People tend to shun LGBT teenagers in my city, to the point where I'm not open about my sexual orientation (I'm bisexual) to avoid being a total outcast. Though, my parents and closest friends know, and I try to be open where people won't judge me (like here). Hopefully things will improve when I get to college.

One of my best friends is a lesbian and she has very little support from her family. She does have good friends, and is very active in the community for gay rights, but her family's lack of support is hurtful. I'm not out out to my family about being bisexual, but I am very lucky to have friends who are aware and accepting of my sexuality. My high school would never have had a Day of Silence, even though I lived in the north. Too many vocal conservatives. I currently live in the deep south, so it's even more unlikely, but I don't really have as many issues with my orientation as some people I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zima
    My childhood just had a gun shoved up its ass.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

My high school had a gay-straight alliance and held day of silence every year. I never did it because I just found it too difficult to do. I'd always end up needing to ask my teachers questions. I know that sounds really shallow. Now I'm at a Catholic college and the LGB presence is a little hard to describe.

Also, advice for those of you attending or planning to attend college. Don't come out while your drunk. Seriously, don't do it.

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Hmm, this has only now really got me thinking about the lack of LGBT welfare we have here. I mean, I think we have PFLAG and other groups but I don't think I've ever really heard anything about LGBT support in my school. Maybe it's because it's a boys school and it's generally expected to be a little more homogenous. I mean, if I weren't gonna be leaving the school in a few months, I would definitely be speaking to student leaders about raising awareness regarding LGBT issues.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Anyone been/going to any Pride events this year? I just got back from the Utah Pride parade. It was super-fun, and it was especially nice to see so many religious groups participating: there was a huge contingent from the LDS church. At times, such organizations can seem like a scary monolithic bloc of unified opinion, so it's always reassuring to be reminded that there are people within them who want things to change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast