Interfaith Dating? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interfaith Dating?

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

Default Re: Interfaith Dating?

My first relationship was a lesbian one where my partner was a Christian. It was... interesting. Until her parents found out and out of homophobia, pushed her into splitting up with me (though I DON'T think that was because of their faith, I think they were just really upset and uncomfortable with their only daughter possibly being gay).

Honestly I'm pretty open minded and I think I could easily date anyone regardless of their religion. I can respect what they believe, and I'd even help them if they ever needed help with something based around their faith/religion. I'm, however, atheist, but I've been interested in the past few years in learning about Buddhism. Mostly because I've been told "[I'm] basically a Buddhism anyway".

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

An addendum to my earlier post: As an agnostic, I also couldn't date an atheist who was really uncomfortable with the fact that I'm an agnostic and not an atheist, as seems to be ridiculously common in some online skeptics communities. Because that's not gonna change, buddy. Again, this is something I've given a lot of thought, and I've heard most of the arguments atheists give against this and guess what? I find them unconvincing.

I also doubt I could date someone non-religious is who is really anti-religion, simply because I'm a pastor's kid and I wouldn't want to deal with someone who is insulting my dad's profession all the time.

In general, though, I would probably prefer to date a non-religious person. As I said in my earlier post, I'm fine with dating religious people who are comfortable that I'm not, but I find that even with liberal religious people that discomfort can seep in anyway. A lot of liberal religious people, I've found, assume that people are only agnostic or atheist because they were raised in a fundamentalist religion, and while I've often found that to be true with some people, that's not the case with me, and they shouldn't act like because they're showing me a more accepting side of Jesus I'm going to instantly convert back. My not-being-a-Christian goes deeper than that.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

I'm a Shia Muslim. For eight months (up until March), I dated this girl Caitlin. She's Catholic, and once I attended services at her church (just cause I was curious). The services were very nice.

Even more surprising, I once had a crush on a Jewish girl. She's already got a boyfriend, but we're all friends.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

For dating, I don't really think faith would bother me. However, chances are I wouldn't be dating anyone of a handful of religions just because of the ethnicities that I find attractive. Faith is definitely something I'm going to be considering when it comes to marriage, just for raising kids. I'm Presbyterian, which I think is a pretty relaxed branch of Christianity, and I'd like to raise my kids somewhere along those lines.

My religious beliefs aren't too strict at all, but I think raising kids in a supportive and nurturing church community is important. What my kids believe in that regard doesn't bother me, and I'll let them think what they want, but I think there are a lot of morals that you gain from Sunday school growing up. I really don't know how it'll work out if I marry someone of a different religion and how our kids will be raised, but I want something similar to how I was raised. Catholocism just seems so weird to me, even Episcopalian has too much weird stuff with robes and bishops going on. I feel like I want a church, but don't really care too much about the religion part of it.

When it comes to strictly dating, however, religion isn't really an issue. Based on the general ethnicities religions, the only religions of girls I would ever date would only ever be Christian, Jewish, or Athiest/Agnostic. I grew up in a community with a lot more Jewish people than I think the average American community, so Judaism always just struck me as another white person religion. There are just a lot of things I care about when dating a girl that are higher up than religion, so it isn't something that'd affect any relationship.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12