Interfaith Dating?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interfaith Dating?

Blog Entries
    Add OverlordRuby on Facebook
    Follow OverlordRuby on Tumblr

Default Interfaith Dating?

(Moderators, feel free to moves this if necessary)

So, Bulbagardeners, have any of you ever dated someone who wasn't of your religion? Do certain faiths not allow this sort of thing? Do you have a crush on someone that isn't of your religion and you don't know what to do? Any other random questions?

Well, I suppose you can post it here!

If you have answers to people's questions your contributions would be greatly appreciated as well.

Religion is a club Every Breaking Wave's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Interfaith Dating?

Yes, indeed I have. I am an atheist and am currently dating a Catholic. Depending on the faith, dating or marrying someone can be problamatic. For instance, one of my mother's former work colleagues is Muslim. When she got married, the man she was with had to convert to Islam. There are surely other examples too. I always worried that, as an atheist, I would have a miserable time finding happiness due to the overwhelming proportion of the population that is religious; and I had a hard enough time finding someone even without counting that! But ultimately my worry turned out to be groundless. There will doubtless be obstacles in the future, but as long as you have love I don't think it really matters.

Vile, Venomous Villain Murkmire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As an atheist, I too have trouble finding love. But, even though I sometimes have crushes on religious girls, I still have trouble thinking it would work. =/

So, more or less, I DO have a crush on a religious girl, but not sure about it. =/

President of everything. Headless Whoreman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Headless Whoreman on Tumblr Visit Headless Whoreman's Youtube Channel

Myself being a Christian, I've really had no problems seeing as most people around me share my faith. I can see how it could be problematic for two people of differing faiths to marry. I mean, some people are very laid back about their religion and some have that militant if-you're-not-with-us-you're-against-us way of thinking.

Dr. Heart Stealer Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

I used to have a boyfriend that couldn't decide if he was Wiccan or Pagan (I'm Apatheist). But that wasn't why our relationship ended. I think people of different creeds could work out, they would just have to be very open minded. I have some friends whose parents are two different religions, and my parents used to be. My mom's always been Baptist, but my dad used to be Mormon. He's since converted to Baptism.

Welcome to Trafalgar’s room
    Shall I steal what’s most precious to you?

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

As an agnostic, I am open to dating religious people, the only thing is they can't push their religion in my face. They need to be accepting of the fact that I am not religious and it is a well-thought-out opinion of mine; I'm not just "lost" or "questioning" or "doubting."

I also don't think I could date a religious person whose beliefs included socially conservative views, such as opposition to homosexuality or to abortion/birth control, but that's because I have strong opinions on those issues. Also, I am bisexual, and anyone who dates me needs to be comfortable with that.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

Follow Ennife on Tumblr

I was raised Roman Catholic, but once I was aware it was OK for me to choose my own religion, I chose not to have one.

I've dated a really, really religious (Christian) guy before. During his break up speech (cause it was a speech) he listed a lot of reasons he didn't think we should be together anymore, my lack of faith was among the top three. Since that experience, I've really only been interested in people who are aware that I'm not "lost" or "questioning" (like Goodbye said in her post above), I simply haven't found anything besides Atheism that fits my beliefs.

The relationship I'm currently in, we share a lack-of religion. However, his parents' are Christian and after three years, I still can't wrap my head around their blind faith. I fear their potential lack of approval of me could get in the way of our relationship down the road. Just last month, we visited them in California, and his mom sent him back with a book about how science explains the existence of god. She openly worries that he won't meet her in heaven someday. It "keeps her up at night" and sometimes I feel she blames me.
    Black FC: 0003 2921 9951
    Platinum FC : 0389 5693 5042

September 9 ~ If we had an open trade or request before I went MIA, please PM me and I'd LOVE to work out the details again.
    Working on a Wishmaker Jirachi trade station (almost a giveaway) since I dug up my Bonus Disk, VM/PM me if you're interested.

Blog Entries
    Add OverlordRuby on Facebook
    Follow OverlordRuby on Tumblr

Now, I have a question for you guys.

Have you ever heard anything about some religions not allowing interfaith dating?

Dr. Heart Stealer Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

I've heard some parents that were like that, and as a child I was taught, "lead others towards God. Don't allow others to worship other lords." etc. But it's still up to the people.

Welcome to Trafalgar’s room
    Shall I steal what’s most precious to you?

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

shsl music club member Catspring's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Catspring on Facebook
    Follow Catspring on Tumblr

My religion is unorthodox, I don't believe in one set deity; I like reading up on near-death experiences and most people describe a being of light and love that isn't any set God. I would have no trouble dating an atheist, agnostic, Christian, Muslim, etc. as long as they respect my views.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnRuby View Post
    Now, I have a question for you guys.

Have you ever heard anything about some religions not allowing interfaith dating?
    Yes, there's a Bible verse that many interpret as "do not date outside of your religion". The verse is 2 Corinthians 6:14: Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

It may not really mean that, it could just mean "Don't date people who don't have similar beliefs" or something, but who knows?
    My Art | My dA | My ColorsLive
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun
    A good friend will not take advantage of a situation, but will comfort you through it.

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Before being atheist/religious, we are human beings. Those couples who realized that, will success no mather what they believe.

I've seen notable examples in my life.
    It's impossible, said pride. It's risky, said experience. OU suspect, yelled Smogon.

Join Team Aqua, we have hot girls
    I bet you didn't notice the guy behind

Feeling of being watched 99unownoak's Avatar

Well it's a sensitive area. Very, very sensitive; that's why I always take care when rubbing it... :D

Anyway, on to the topic of interfaith dating, I was raised as a Christian and went to an Anglican school but am an athiest. I've dated someone who was a Christian (I think they were Uniting Church) and had no problem with it and nor did they.

There are certain religions however, whom I would not date people of that faith even though I'm not religious myself.

(I acknowledge the joke at the top was lame)

I would be okay with dating someone outside of my faith. In fact, I would likely be more interested in dating someone who is a theist than someone who is an atheist or even agnostic. I think that as long as each party is mature enough to respect their significant others' religious beliefs, there should not be any issue with the religious aspect of interfaith dating; in fact, the relationship could potentially foster a better understanding of other religions, assuming that each member of the relationship is willing to discuss his or her beliefs.

For me, political views are more important than religion. Although I am a heterosexual male, I wouldn't feel comfortable dating someone who is vehemently opposed to homosexuality, abortion, etc... I hope that that doesn't sound bigoted against conservatives, but I would be reluctant to dive into a relationship with someone with whom I don't think on similar terms anent politics!

I'm an Athiest and I feel that not being Islamic kinda stopped me having a relationship with I girl I fancied a year or so ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast