• 2 Post By Kakuna Matata
  • 3 Post By Zima
  • 1 Post By Niji
  • 1 Post By maglev
  • 1 Post By Ninten

Thread: I Need Help

Blog Entries

Default I Need Help

I know for sure that I have at least one mental disorder, however, my parents are either denying it, or they don't care enough to get me a therapist.

Some other people know I need help, but I don't know how to go about getting it without going through my parents, who don't seem to care at all...

How did you get your first therapist, and if any of you were in my situation at some point, how did you get out of it?

I'm not very good at speaking my mind...
    Niji likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

Default Re: I Need Help

@Zima; That's a shame they don't believe you :( . It's more likely they care and don't want to admit to themselves you need help, than not caring about you. They wouldn't raise you if they didn't love you.
    I'm glad you're not giving up on feeling better.

If your parents aren't willing to give you access to counseling, I think hotlines could be helpful. Here are a few I found.

Mentioning it to your doctor or even a school counselor or someone else could also help. They might be able to better convince your parents. Know you're not alone in this. Best of luck to you!

Zima and Kakuna Matata like this.

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

Your parents could be ignoring your claims due to money concerns. Or because they think you're overreacting.

I agree with Firebrand though, they do care about you, and so do people on BMGf. =)

I also agree about getting some backing from other people. Friends, while supportive, may not be the best for this. Maybe an aunt or an uncle, or another adult relative you're close to, could help you out. Especially if they have similar disorders. If you have a well-documented family tree with medical history, you could use that as well.

Blog Entries

UPDATE: I have gotten a counselor and am scheduled for an appointment that will take place next week. Finally... They have listened. I can finally get some things straightened out and hopefully get out of this downward spiral that has lasted several years.

I can't help but feel as though I'm taking up someone else's time, even if it's their job, though. ><
    Kakuna Matata, Niji and maglev like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Zima View Post
    UPDATE: I have gotten a counselor and am scheduled for an appointment that will take place next week. Finally... They have listened. I can finally get some things straightened out and hopefully get out of this downward spiral that has lasted several years.

I can't help but feel as though I'm taking up someone else's time, even if it's their job, though. ><
    That's great :D ! I'm glad worked out for you. Just keep an open mind and hopefully having a professional to talk to will be enjoyable. I'm interested to know how counselors are, as I've been thinking of possibly seeing one.

You're well worth their time. They chose this career after all, because they found it enjoyable and want to help others.
    Zima likes this.

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zima View Post
    That's great to hear :) I go to counselling and I've found it a huge help with my problems, and I hope you can get the same benefit,
    Zima likes this.
    seconds to forever

Good luck Zima.

I'm 24 and still don't have one. Wish I had looked into it at a young age, I feel like I'm pretty far gone now. Good on you for taking the first steps.
    Niji likes this.