How would somebody cope with being single forever? - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How would somebody cope with being single forever?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How would somebody cope with being single forever?

I would attempt to do something productive. Humans were meant to reproduce. If I couldn't possibly do that, I'd try to do something else to try to help the world, so I would die knowing that I had actually done something to help the world.
    Last edited by Akromatic; 8th July 2013 at 02:11 PM.

I have never wanted to reproduce. Just would rather not be alone.

Blog Entries

I don't particularly want to have kids either. I just want to be with someone.

Blog Entries

Yeah... I would rather not be alone when I grow up. My post was idiotic. But being single and having friends and friendly neighbors would lead to a long, happy life. You could never find love, and still be happy.

So long as you don't end up crushing one of your new friends. Otherwise, it's fine.

It wouldn't be the end of the world (unless every living person followed suit, then it literally would be).

I'm currently single and have never been in a "serious" relationship. I've had some instances of mutual attraction with acquaintances, but they never really kicked off as something worth mentioning. As far as sex goes, I've found it to be pretty overrated. Whether or not this is because I've had little attachment to my partners, I can't really assess at this point.

I'd be lying if I said I don't ponder it. That is, having somebody you can be as close with or nearly as close with as your are with yourself. The idea is as exciting as it is scary. Although it's something I'd be interested in exploring I don't consider it by any means necessary. There are a lot of different things in this world that can bring "happiness," and it differs from person to person. Whether it be drugs, money, accomplishment, social acceptance, etc., you can find something. To answer the question, "coping" would simply be finding happiness in a different avenue, which should be entirely possible.
    Kakuna Matata likes this.

Along the same lines as something I just posted in another thread, you should not be defined by the romantic relationships you may or may not have had.
    You by yourself are an amazing and full of potential. Find the activities in life that you enjoy, and focus on that.
    Do you have any hobbies? Or dreams? Or goals?

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

i don't know. the question asked in the first post is sort of unclear to me. anyway, not being in a relationship doesn't preclude someone from hooking up with people if they're into that sort of thing. they can still have friendships with the opposite/same/etc. sex. in my hectic yet meandering eighteen years of existence, i've never dated anyone (unless you count one date that i had with a friend who never called me back); i've contemplated sometimes, in particularly hopeless spots (clinical depression, etc.), what it would be like if i were to live a wholly loveless life, romantically speaking. i think the best thing you can do is focus on yourself in this scenario. it may sound egotistical but making yourself into the type of person you want to be is crucial to being happy with yourself, and without that amour-propre there's probably no way you're going to be happy with someone else in your life anyway. being content with who you are goes a long way toward leading a happy and fulfilling life. after that, i guess you'd have to find something you're passionate about. remember that your primary raison d'être is to live for yourself more than for others, yet at the same time strive to be empathetic to your friends' struggles and try to help people as much as you can. do what you want as long as it's not at the expense of others: eat mushroom soup, smoke weed every day, write poetry — but only if that's what you're into. it all boils down to finding things that you can do and enjoy doing at the same time. i guess that the most important recognition you could and should make is that you don't need someone in your life, even if you want them in it. the sense of longing that you might get could feel awful at times, but that's why you have friends — they should support you through those occasional grim stretches of life.
    Last edited by scheisskopf; 9th September 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Enjoy the extra time, money and freedom you gain from not having to take someone else's wants and needs into consideration whenever you do something. If you are single, you can do whatever you want. Want to move across country? Go for it. Want to quit your job and make a living weaving baskets in Papua New Guinea? Be my guest. You don't have to support anyone, so it's all on you. The possibilities are endless. Follow your dreams.
    Shiny Celebi and xoddf2 like this.
    That's nice.

My first thought was throw a big f'ing party and CELEBRATE, haha!

The grass is always greener on the other side. Its just the way humans are. If you are in a relationship, than there will be times the couple feels that singledom is better than a committed relationship, because a relationship requires work and has its own set of headaches and rewards.

If you want sex, you can work to that goal.
    If you want a buddy, you can work to that goal.
    If you want love, you can start by loving yourself the way you want to love a partner one day (not dirty, I mean heartfelt love).

Hypothetically, a single guy would CHOOSE to eventually be happy with being single and enjoy the quiet times, learn to build friendships and fulfill his other work/school/life desires. Or, if he is not happy, he will accept that and work to meet the challenge of relationships and friendships.

Being single doesn't mean you're miserable, I think society puts way too much weight on the idea that relationships are the #1 source of happiness. Yes, being in love with someone who likes you back is cool and all, but it's not the only way you can be happy. I personally really enjoy being single, I don't want a relationship because it's far more work than I'm willing to put into it at the moment.

Anyway, if you do want a relationship and can't find one I guess I can see how that would make you sad, but I think it's a matter of perspective. Unless you have some kind of amazing magical power, in which case why aren't you guessing next week's lottery numbers instead, you don't know if you're going to be single forever. Maybe you're single because in your present circumstances you can't find anyone you're compatible with, in which case, it's for the best that you're single rather than being in a relationship with someone you're not compatible with at all... that tends to end in disaster. And maybe this is a good chance to take a look at why you're single. I'm not saying you're the problem necessarily or that you have to change to please others, I'm saying that there are certain flaws and problems that are generally unattractive, so being single might be a good chance to fix them if that's the case for you. Things like finding hobbies because people like people who have a life, fixing bad hygiene habits, assessing whether you're really being respectful to the people you like, are things that can make a difference. Even if you don't really have any specific flaws, maybe just being happy and making the most of your time before someone special shows up will help, because then you can woo that person with tales of all the interesting stuff you've done with your time so far, and because you will have grown as a person.

Blog Entries

I live to be a wife, having someone to cook for, clean and do laundry for, make the bed for and unmake it later with is my goal in life.
    I really couldn't care less about anything else.

Proud claimer of Sylveon, She is a sneaky Magician who
    loves to pounce out of nowhere and Nuzzle me!
    ♡♥♡5 Signatures! Only 499,995 to go!♡♥♡
    US EBAY SELLERS BEWARE!

If you're single because you think you don't deserve a relationship... you learn to live with it. Sometimes you have to look in the mirror and remind yourself you don't deserve a relationship. Sometimes you have to sit others down and explain to them you don't deserve a relationship, but usually you don't end up in that situation.

Blog Entries

I'd be ok with it. Relationships are a big hassle and more often than not, don't last. I've always been a loner, my dad died when I was very young so all i've ever known is my mum bringing us up alone. Her stories of my dad and her previous relationships are filled with unpleasant memories so i've never had the desire to find 'the one' even that phrase makes me cringe. No one in my life is an example of happy relationship, from people my age to my eldery relatives. If I don't ever find someone like a life partner, I wont feel upset or lonely as long as I have family and friends around. I like being single.

Blog Entries

You're not alone. You have platonic friends... right?

Plenty of people have lived just fine without a significant other.
    Leggo likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast