SUPPORT: Feeling depressed for no reason

Thread: Feeling depressed for no reason

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit GastlyGibus's Youtube Channel

Default Feeling depressed for no reason

Exactly what the title suggests.

It's a strange phenomenon that has occurred lately... where I've been feeling increasingly depressed and sad for seemingly no reason. Other people I read about usually have some sort of reason to feel like this, but I don't, which only makes me feel worse for feeling sad. As if my brain is scolding me, saying "How dare you feel depressed, you have no reason to feel this way!"

I would think a person in my situation should be satisfied. I love my parents and my family overall, stable living situation, a working car, job, college classes, friends... and yet, almost every day when I come home, I just crash. I put on this facade of happiness in front of everybody. I act like everything is just fine and dandy. I tell jokes to make people laugh, and I act like a goofball just to entertain people. Then I come home, and the mask is off. I slip into self-loathing and depression. I feel like a worthless pile of trash that hasn't done anything with his life. All at the ripe old age of 20.

This is a recent development, too. I never had these feelings when I was younger. Again, an individual in my circumstances would say they had a great childhood. My parents never divorced and I never really had any traumatizing experiences. It seems like this mood and these feelings of depression and self-loathing have only started to happen last year... and are getting progressively worse.

I just don't know what to do anymore. It makes me feel like a whiny brat, because I have no problems and yet I still feel horrible. I don't want to tell any of my friends or family, because I don't want them to worry about me... especially considering that I try so hard to hide it. I don't even think they'd believe me if I told them. I'm too scared to tell my parents, because they'll probably think they did something wrong or that I'm exaggerating. I'm caught in this terrible situation where I'm depressed and I'm too scared to let anybody know because I've gotten so good at pretending I'm happy.

I need advice... or really, just anybody to say they feel the same way. We can all have a pity-party and eat snacks and throw confetti. I'll bring the drinks. Heh... and there I go again, trying to inject humor into the situation.

All my old outlets, music, games, writing, etc. don't seem to help anymore... I feel like I need help and I'm too afraid to ask for it... Am I the only one who feels like this? Feels like they're depressed for no real reason at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Feeling depressed for no reason

For what it's worth, "feeling like crap for no reason" is the exact definition of the psychological disorder we call depression. Contrary to popular belief, depression isn't about feeling sad because something happened--it's about having no motivation in life for seemingly no reason.

This may be insightful to you:

How often do you go outside? Do you get much sunlight? What about exercise? Do you go to bed early and get up early?
    These can impact your mood through biological and psychological processes in your body. If you're leading a proper lifestyle and you're still feeling as you do, then perhaps you should seek professional help and medications (use this as a last resort).

mostly just a recluse
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i wouldn't recommend dwelling too much on the whole “feeling bad for no reason” thing if at all possible; it typically just makes things worse. i mean, i'm in a semi-similar situation (nineteen, haven't really done anything, a pretty traumatic childhood but nothing that'll leave indelible traces on me, few friends, among other things) and i know that it just exacerbates everything when i feel like i should be happier. there's nothing wrong with being sad. have you tried going out with some friends? doing things that you enjoy? do you get any less enjoyment out of these things? there are a lot of questions to raise but it's late and i don't have a lot of time. but if you notice this persisting for a while, i'd second kadabra's notion of seeking out help (maybe not as a last resort, but definitely worth considering if this lasts more than another three or more weeks). and again, it depends on precisely how long these feelings have been lasting—ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether you should seek professional help, but i'd definitely recommend it if you've experiencing this for a month or longer.

… in the meantime, try to eat well, sleep well, exercise, etc. try opening up to a close friend if you feel like you can't do it with a family member. opening up to people is hard for a variety of reasons and i understand that, but i think it'd probably be better for you if you decided to do so. take your time with it, though. i understand that it can be difficult i think the key thing is to not rush yourself. remember that you have people who care about you.

SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like classic clinical depression. I suffer with it myself and I'm like you, I feel quite blessed within my life, no real problems or issue to really justify the sadness. You can't always justify it and honestly, you don't need too. You can't help the way you feel.

THE WAR ROOM
    ~ The home of Mafia and Non-Mafia games.
    Art tumblr

bullet in my lung Ivysaur's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd suggest trying to spend as much time as possible with the people you enjoy being around and who care about you. Eating well and exercising consistently go a long way. Find a sport you enjoy, or go for long walks whenever you have the opportunity--I find staying home/indoors for too long tends to make me feel kind of blegh after a while.

Try not to skip breakfast and make sure you're getting a good amount of sleep every night too.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Moon Princess Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

If opening up more, looking after yourself, exercising/making sure you keep as physically healthy as possible and accepting that you feel the way you do without beating yourself up over it don't work after a while, I'd definitely consider seeing a doctor (or two - second opinions can be very helpful if you have access to them and want them). Whether you have obvious "reasons" to feel this way or not, you don't have to feel this way without taking any possible further steps to address it. There's no shame in seeking help, be it counselling, other therapy or medication if that's what's advised. Sometimes these things improve with lifestyle changes or passage of time and other times they don't - don't fret too much if some things don't work. If there's anyone caring who you can speak to about these things, I really encourage you to tell them how you're feeling and how you're doing. I've found that it's become easier to accept these things within myself if I am open and honest about them with at least some people around me - if you feel like you have to keep it a secret, it tends to make you feel more ashamed and guilty about it, in my experience.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ alpacasso forums ~

You're in lots of trouble lovandra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions:
    1. Are you in quite drastic changing situasion right now? Reading from your post seem like right now you in changing phase from collage to work? Or do both of same time.
    2. What is your time schedule everyday? How about your body rhytm? How often you sleep and all?
    3. How routine are your daily life? I mean how repetitive it is?
    4. Do you consume any pills/drug/alchohol or what?
    5. What is your medical issue for last 5 years?

There is a posibility they you are just in adaptation stage right now. From someone that not forced to have respobsibility to more respobsible adult. This is actually quite stressfull and can push people sometimes to borderline issue.
    Depression have several stages. And maybe it just cause you force too much in your family and friends to always look happy when you have need to 'mad' with simple things. Or maybe this just because graduall stress over simple things that you exposes day by day that you just try to ignore.

I don't suggest doctor. I suggest you ask for profesional consultant first. Look for recomendation from other people first.