DISCUSSION: About Smoking - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: About Smoking

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: About Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Vhazhiphor View Post
    But it is fair to tell this man to not smoke in his own place of residence? To sue him for it? Seriously? Our homes are just about the only safe places left. If a man can't have a smoke in his own home... that's just wrong. Why don't you complain with the landlord? See about having something done with the pipes. That's what seems to be the problem - I highly doubt the (what is it, ventilation?) system is supposed to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo The Marten View Post
    Yeah. I'm kind of on the fence in those kinds of situations. I seriously hate the smell of cigarette smoke, and if I wanted to inhale it, I'd take up smoking, but I don't. But at the same time, I don't really want to tell someone they can't do something in their own homes. Like Vhaz said, I think it's an issue with the apartments themselves, and not your neighbor trying to be rude. It wouldn't matter if your neighbor smoked or not, if you can smell things from your neighbors' apartments, something has to be done. Doesn't matter if it's their cigarette smoke, what they're cooking for dinner, or their old garbage.

Here's a suggestion though, has your family tried air fresheners? Something to kill the smell? That might really help your problem. I've found that Febreeze really helps kill odors in the air. Or you could use scented candles, or anything really. That should make both parties happy.
    We've done everything before we actually went and told the neighbor to please reduce his smoking because it's filling up our bathroom with smoke. And look - why does my family have to pay for stuff that WE didn't cause? The smoking smell is caused by the neighbor - not my family. We're perfectly okay if he wouldn't smoke so often in the house - or more like, his bathroom. Cooking smells don't invade much often so we don't complain - besides, we cook as well. But smoking? See, none of our neighbors had ever smoked (we live in an apartment where most of the residents are elderly people), until that man downstairs moved in. Nowadays, we're just leaving our house during the day as much as we can since we obviously know that the man isn't going to listen to us. We can't even stay in the house to relax on weekends. pfft.

We met up with another neighbor who lives upstairs our house and even SHE is complaining about the smoke coming from downstairs. Apparently, the smoke filling up our bathroom is going up to her house... and she's extremely worried because she's living with a young child who's got asthma.

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

And see, that's why I don't like debating smoking all that much because I'm one of those people who wants everyone to be happy, but I have yet to come up with a solution for smokers and non-smokers to live in peace. @_@ It's not fair to you and your family to have to suffocate in the guy's smoke, but it's not fair to him if he can't do as he pleases in his own home (you know, as long as it's not harming anyone, but this potentially could what with your neighbor who has asthma).

If you haven't tried, maybe talk to the landlord. He could try talking to the guy, or try to fix the vents.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Just as long as I don't have to breath it in, I'm OK. I don't understand why people would want to smoke, for obvious reasons, but I respect that it's their life.

Visit wc662's Youtube Channel

I think tobacco is one of the deadliest drugs out there. I personally do smoke tobacco, because it's a hard addiction to quit and right now I'm on probation which makes it not possible for me to smoke what I really like to smoke, marijuana. Marijuana never killed anybody. It's not dangerous at all in my opinion. You can get alcohol poisoning from drinking too much. Smoke too much weed? You get a headache or a good night of sleep. Drinking impairs driving worse than marijuana. And comparing marijuana to tobacco is like comparing, hell I can't even think of an analogy, a paintball and a bullet I guess, if even a paintball, maybe a pop-cap lol. Smoke alot of weed? Yea you've got a chance to get addicted, you can be a pot head, but not physically addicted, hell I'm a cheech and chong level pot head and I was able to quit for probation. Smoke a cigarette? Hell that could hook you good right there. And then it's a long train to cancer-town. Carcinogens in marijuana? Yea, they exist, but no matter what the government tells you it's not as bad as a cigarette. Good weed (Your hydroponics and stuff) doesn't have as many carcinogens and you can eliminate them altogether by using a vaporizer. It's actually proven marijuana can be beneficial to fight cancer, not just make chemo patients feel better and eat. Carcinogens in cigarettes? Hell what isn't a carcinogen in a cigarette? It's basically poison. Marijuana kills brain cells? Bullshit. Proven fact it doesn't, it just slows them down. It's not good for a growing teen or child to smoke marijuana because it can fuck up brain development, but a grown adult? It's not going to make you a dumbass or make you shoot somebody, the worst it could do is embarrass you in front of your friends for having some stupid idea because you're high. Alcohol can make a man beat his wife. Marijuana? Show me the guy that gets stoned and wants to get violent and I'll show you a unicorn. Sorry for bringing alcohol into this, but you really need to look at all three to see how stupid the marijuana ban is in America and most countries. So worst case scenarios:

Smoke cigarettes: Get cancer, kill your lungs and esophagus and then some
    Drink alcohol: Get alcohol poisoning, kill brain cells
    Smoke weed: Eat all the food in the house and fall asleep, kill time

What would you rather do?
    INSANITY ISN'T JUST ACCEPTABLE - IT'S THE NORM

Rocket Surgeon

Wow, lots of hate for smokers being stirred up!

Just going to start off by saying I've been smoking for 10 years.

In British Columbia (the Canadian province I'm from), it is illegal to smoke within 15 feet of a doorway or an air return. This legislation passed within the past 5 years, and initially started from banning smoking in buildings because of Worker's Compensation Board rulings that servers who worked in smoky bars (which were the only buildings people were allowed to smoke in) were at a disproportionately higher risk of smoking-related illness than those who worked in either bars with smoking rooms or bars which had banned smoking outright. This snowballed to the point that smokers needed to be outside to smoke, but of course they would cluster around the door so they could smoke quickly and then zip back inside (Canadian winters and that sort of thing), hence the legislation.

We also have the most graphic health warnings on our packs of smokes, with medical reference pictures of a cancerous mouth, a tongue affected by cancer, and many other incredibly graphic, nasty picture warnings.

To say that smoking isn't hazardous is just silly. Inhaling any kind of smoke is bad for you. However, if someone ever got in my face about my smoking in any particular area, especially outside in the open air, or in my home (which I don't smoke in anyways because there's a non-smoker who lives with me), when I make a conscious effort to not be near others who may be affected unintentionally, is just wrong. I've made my choice, knowing full well of the consequences. In the open air, I find it hard to believe that my 2nd hand smoke is any more hazardous to you than the exhaust from an automobile.

As far as health goes, there's been studies delving into homeless populations in the Lower Eastside of Vancouver and rates of mental illness. One of the interesting side-notes of this study, was the finding that in schizophrenic individuals in the demographic, rates of psychotic episodes decreased when the test subjects were allowed to have a smoke. (Basically, they intitially would bring the person into the hospital to study and not let him/her leave 'til the testing was done. They found that by allowing the test subject to have a break and have a smoke, the subject would not become as agressive or violent and remained much more lucid during the test procedures).
    WHITE SMOKE is the reason for ROTATION.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345