DISCUSSION: About Smoking - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: About Smoking

President of everything. Headless Whoreman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Headless Whoreman on Tumblr Visit Headless Whoreman's Youtube Channel

Default Re: About Smoking

I have a very low opinion on smoking in general. First of all, it's disgusting. I don't know why anyone would want to do it. Then, there's the addiction, forcing you to buy packet after packet after packet. Then, there's the health problems, such as the various kinds of cancer it can give you. I think I'll pass.

Hm, where to begin...

I think it's fine if you smoke. My mom said that people she knew who smoked were often more pleasant to be around than ones who don't. That's not her saying I should, but that's just something she's observed. As long as the person knows exactly what they're getting themselves into, and they respect rules that are given about smoking in public places.

I personally won't ever smoke. I think it would taste absolutely vile, and I wouldn't understand why anyone would start in the first place. Oh, right. Peers. *rolls eyes*
    Whale in the Sky with Diamonds

It's not just peers. Some of us just like it. Not to mention...

Blog Entries
    Add Lord_Mewtwo on Facebook
    Visit Lord_Mewtwo's Youtube Channel

To put in my 2 cents, sorry to mods if necroposting in this section is not allowed, but anyways I agree with all of the non-smokers who have posted here. I am not a smoker and I never will be one. I was in a relationship with a smoker, and it was terrible. He cared more about his cigarettes than he did me, and he just was puffing away every time I turned around. I'm not saying smokers are bad people, but the smokers I know with the exceptions of my grandmother & a friend of mine are unpleasant to be around. That relationship made me realize that I will never date a smoker ever again. I feel bad for kids in Indonesia who do smoke because the laws there are not strict at all. Remember Aldi Rizal the smoking baby?
    Creator of The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread Last updated 8-21-11
    The user formerly known as kenai3000
    Back into Pokemon and am now more of a fan than ever

I can't stand smoking cigarettes. Nothing positive can come from it. However, I do smoke cigars occasionally. Mostly as a "special occasion" sort of thing.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

I don't smoke, for the same reasons everyone else does, but I do get annoyed about the judgmental attitude that my fellow non-smokers have toward smokers.

By which I mean, most people in the world are aware of the health risks associated with smoking. Including people who smoke. Lecturing at people as though they must never have heard something that everyone has heard is really insulting. I don't understand the reasons people still smoke either, but I assume that they are aware of the health risks, since who isn't? (As for the reasons, I also think it's better to ask people who smoke why they do rather than come up with judgmental stuff about "peer pressure" and the like. Just personally, I never felt any peer pressure to smoke, at least while I was in high school. There are a lot of people who smoke at the music school I attended for college and I know some people who started doing it because of that, but most of my good friends weren't smokers, so it was never an issue for me. All in all, I don't think that my decision to not smoke is due to some valiant effort to resist peer pressure, or really any strong effort on my part. I've certainly done a lot of other dumb shit in my teen/young adult years because everyone else in my social group was doing it at the time. I would also say if you're a typical teen/young adult who doesn't have a lot of money, the amount of money cigarettes cost, at least in the U.S. due to high taxes on them, is an equal or greater pressure to NOT smoke than whatever peer pressure you are getting to smoke. Peer pressure can be withstood, but it's not like money grows on trees if you end up broke.)

It reminds me of people who fat-shame. Is obesity a problem? Yes. Does lecturing at overweight and obese people who are constantly shamed by society for their weight anyway actually do anything to alleviate the obesity epidemic? No. (Of course, it's slightly different because not every overweight person is unhealthy, whereas smoking is inherently bad for you, but I digress...don't want to get into an obesity debate...)
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 6th July 2012 at 09:09 PM.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Feeling of being watched 99unownoak's Avatar

I am against smoking for the many reasons stated above. I believe that it should just be banned, at least in my country, that way the problem would be solved.

It would be unfortunate for people currently addicted but in a few years it would be much less of a problem.

I believe in living and letting other people live there lives but smoking is a different matter for me. I have never smoked and I have no plans to smoke in the future.

In my personal opinion, smoking is not only dangerouse to the person smoking it is very dangrouse to the people around them inhaling the second hand smoke. Smoking is a problem young teens are getting hold of cigerets, cigars ect. and this is causing many deaths among teens my age. But the real problem in my view is (in the U.S. least) that we can't stop legal tabacco production.

So yeah, that's kinda just my opinion.

Trophies

For a start I WILL NEVER SMOKE!!!

But I seriously dont care if people want to kill them selves. I mean I do care that they will die, but if they are silly enough not to realise that then I think we should stay out of it.

It only becomes a problem to me when people become so disrespectful they smoke in your face. Thank God smoking in public places is banned in the UK, but it can still get to you outside... Disgusting.

Huge thanks to Blue Dragon for my EPIC avatar & sig

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

never have smoked anything and will never. it is just nasty and discusting if you look at before and after pis of lungs and gums, it is nasty to see the "after"

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I live on the 8th floor of our apartment, and there's a smoking man living on the 7th. Every once in a while he smokes in his house. Unfortunately, the smoke and smell floats through the pipes and it fills the bathroom of my house. This is dangerous - what if I had young children and they were playing in the bathtub when the smoke filled up the bathroom? I may be paranoid and over-reacting, but it's really serious. Sometimes, the smoking smell was so terrible that our family couldn't use the bathroom for hours.

We had told him numerously please not to smoke in his house because it was affecting ours as well, but he's not listening. I wonder if I'll have to sue him.
    Last edited by Kyriaki; 5th August 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Happy Holidays! CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I think smoking is a ridiculous thing to get into. First of all, it tastes vile, you have to really work at it before you become addicted and it starts tasting anywhere near bearable. I hear smoking get compared to drinking and over-eating but I really don't agree with that at all. Drinking makes you drunk, which makes you happy and allows you to have more fun or feel more comfortable than you usually would. Same with drugs. Food tastes good, and seen as you have to eat it everyday anyway, it's easy to get a little too fond of it. Smoking however, tastes vile and does nothing to altar your psyche until you've smoked over and over again, and you start feeling addicted. You have to endure it, until it tastes good, which takes many months and will likely give you serious health problems later in life.

Granted so will drugs, alcohol, and food, but at least you can understand what they're are getting out of those vices.

Now, I really don't judge anyone who chooses to smoke. That's their choice and you aren't hurting me, so do what you like. But yeah, that's my opinion.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

The neighbor downstairs keep smoking even though we told him not to. My dad said he's not going to tolerate it anymore and sue the neighbor if he smokes again. Seriously, the smoke smell is making us hard to even use the bathroom - and we have to pay for electric bills on using ventilation. It's just not fair.

But it is fair to tell this man to not smoke in his own place of residence? To sue him for it? Seriously? Our homes are just about the only safe places left. If a man can't have a smoke in his own home... that's just wrong. Why don't you complain with the landlord? See about having something done with the pipes. That's what seems to be the problem - I highly doubt the (what is it, ventilation?) system is supposed to do that.

Dr. Heart Stealer Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

Yeah. I'm kind of on the fence in those kinds of situations. I seriously hate the smell of cigarette smoke, and if I wanted to inhale it, I'd take up smoking, but I don't. But at the same time, I don't really want to tell someone they can't do something in their own homes. Like Vhaz said, I think it's an issue with the apartments themselves, and not your neighbor trying to be rude. It wouldn't matter if your neighbor smoked or not, if you can smell things from your neighbors' apartments, something has to be done. Doesn't matter if it's their cigarette smoke, what they're cooking for dinner, or their old garbage.

Here's a suggestion though, has your family tried air fresheners? Something to kill the smell? That might really help your problem. I've found that Febreeze really helps kill odors in the air. Or you could use scented candles, or anything really. That should make both parties happy.

Welcome to Trafalgar’s "Room"
    Shall I steal what’s most precious to you?

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast