DISCUSSION: About Alcohol - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: About Alcohol

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: About Alcohol

So as long as people don't drink too much, it's okay.

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Again, my philosophy falls into "I don't mind you doing it if you don't shove it in my face". The only real problem I have with alcohol is people who go out with every intention of getting drunk, and treat a "good night" as one where they can't remember anything that happens. That can only lead to mistakes being made and people being hurt. I have nothing wrong with people enjoying alcohol occasionally if they respect their limits. It's just not a choice I would make. I'm of the opinion that one doesn't really need external influences to have a good time and I'd personally rather it wasn't a societal faux pas to not drink. But hey, everyone's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Unicorn View Post
    Honestly, I didn't bother to do much more than skim through these articles. But I can nearly guarantee that these people had problems far deeper than just their choice to drink. Have I drank because I was angry or depressed? Certainly. I realize it doesn't have the same affect for everyone, but for me, it makes me happier. But for others, it does bring out their anger. Those are the people I choose to avoid when drinking. Am I excusing these people for the acts they committed? Absolutely not. But to get drunk and go off and murder someone goes far deeper than a choice to get drunk that night. They didn't wake up and say "GRRR I'M SO PISSED I'M GONNA DRINK THIS FIFTH AND GO ON A MURDERING SPREE!!!" There are clearly already issues here in their thinking, and while their choice to drink may have affected it, this isn't something you just decide to do.

Do people get drunk and do stupid shit? Of course they do. But things as serious as intentional suicide or murder; they were premeditated long before their choice to drink came in to play. You don't just get drunk and decide to kill yourself, there were thoughts leading up to that before the initial act, and in many cases, alcohol is used to dull the pain. And another thing, if you're going to get drunk, you should be SMART about it and keep firearms out of reach of yourself if you even THINK someone is going to do something stupid.
    You're missing my point... my point is that the murder / suicide are not intentional. Those suicides were obviously not intentional suicides. If they were then that was some pretty odd / coincidental timing. Those other articles may or may not have been extreme cases but there are hundreds / thousands of cases of drunk driving which I have not even linked to which are clearly not "extreme". Yes, some of them will involve the driver simply not caring if he kills himself or other people while driving wrecklessly, but in a lot of cases the drivers are just normal people who would not have chosen to drive while drunk if they had been able to make that decision clearly (i.e. if the alcohol did not alter their choices).

As far as making sure you don't have access to a gun... yes, that's true. However, people don't always plan to "get drunk". Also people's judgement is affected even before they reach the point of being drunk. Guns, yes, they probably shouldn't be taken into a bar if you know that there's a good chance of you will be drinking. Doesn't help if you're drinking in your own home where your guns / fireworks / whatever are kept though... or if you're carrying a gun (legally) and drink something. And what about cars? They're just as dangerous as guns but there's no way that you can remove access to your own car. Sure, you can get a designated driver. Doesn't always work out. Or if the designated driver ends up drunk... then what? If you're drunk or have been drinking at all to the point that your judgement has been affected then you might not even have the sense to say to the driver "you're drunk... I'm not letting you drive me home."

Feeling of being watched 99unownoak's Avatar

As long it isn't significantly detrimental to the individual; I'm all for drinking alcohol. It's great to get drunk with your friends every now and then. You feel better (until the next morning) and its easy to talk to new people as you're generally more relaxed.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

I'm not addicted to it, and I don't see myself or others in our group of friends becoming alcoholics, but we sure as hell love to drink. Personally its great to drink, and as long as the weekly binge night doesn't become a daily wake up parameter, I'm fine with drinking.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I don't like to drink, and I've tried lots of different drinks, vodka, beer, cider. It just doesn't do much for me, I don't like the taste, and I don't like how it makes some people act. Drinking is just not for me, I'll just stick to Pepsi.
    maglev is invisible

50% loser & 50% Bad jokes Kay-Senpai's Avatar

as long as one doesn't over do it and drinks it every once in a while it's okay with me

as for beer and me I it's rare for me to drink it cause I'm very picky about it
    I hated it when alcohol is really strong, that why I prefer mixed drinks where I can barely taste it
    and so far I only found 3 drinks I like one is Gummi bear drink, one is drink that tasted like mangos but I forgot the name of it, and Mike's cold hard lemonade the raspberry flavor

☆*・゜゚・*2SUGOI4U*・゜゚・*☆

Blog Entries

It's a great way to meet new people and to have a good night out, and I definitely think it's worth it, provided it isn't taken to the point of harming yourself or others.

For personal taste, I don't really like carbonated soda alcohol combos like alcopops or most cocktails. Beer is fine, but a bit bland. I prefer spirits, but it's easy to overdo it with them

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Highway Unicorn View Post
    Honestly, I didn't bother to do much more than skim through these articles. But I can nearly guarantee that these people had problems far deeper than just their choice to drink. Have I drank because I was angry or depressed? Certainly. I realize it doesn't have the same affect for everyone, but for me, it makes me happier. But for others, it does bring out their anger. Those are the people I choose to avoid when drinking. Am I excusing these people for the acts they committed? Absolutely not. But to get drunk and go off and murder someone goes far deeper than a choice to get drunk that night. They didn't wake up and say "GRRR I'M SO PISSED I'M GONNA DRINK THIS FIFTH AND GO ON A MURDERING SPREE!!!" There are clearly already issues here in their thinking, and while their choice to drink may have affected it, this isn't something you just decide to do.

Do people get drunk and do stupid shit? Of course they do. But things as serious as intentional suicide or murder; they were premeditated long before their choice to drink came in to play. You don't just get drunk and decide to kill yourself, there were thoughts leading up to that before the initial act, and in many cases, alcohol is used to dull the pain. And another thing, if you're going to get drunk, you should be SMART about it and keep firearms out of reach of yourself if you even THINK someone is going to do something stupid.
    You're missing my point... my point is that the murder / suicide are not intentional. Those suicides were obviously not intentional suicides. If they were then that was some pretty odd / coincidental timing. Those other articles may or may not have been extreme cases but there are hundreds / thousands of cases of drunk driving which I have not even linked to which are clearly not "extreme". Yes, some of them will involve the driver simply not caring if he kills himself or other people while driving wrecklessly, but in a lot of cases the drivers are just normal people who would not have chosen to drive while drunk if they had been able to make that decision clearly (i.e. if the alcohol did not alter their choices).

As far as making sure you don't have access to a gun... yes, that's true. However, people don't always plan to "get drunk". Also people's judgement is affected even before they reach the point of being drunk. Guns, yes, they probably shouldn't be taken into a bar if you know that there's a good chance of you will be drinking. Doesn't help if you're drinking in your own home where your guns / fireworks / whatever are kept though... or if you're carrying a gun (legally) and drink something. And what about cars? They're just as dangerous as guns but there's no way that you can remove access to your own car. Sure, you can get a designated driver. Doesn't always work out. Or if the designated driver ends up drunk... then what? If you're drunk or have been drinking at all to the point that your judgement has been affected then you might not even have the sense to say to the driver "you're drunk... I'm not letting you drive me home."
    I didn't read anything after the OP and before this one post but I think I get what you are trying to say but correct me if I'm totally out of line.

Honestly, If you are smart enough you should know better than to drink and drive, simple as that. In my experience no thought is altered so completely that a person who says "I would never drink and drive, I know the risks" would just decide "oh this one time should be fine" while being drunk, it only strengthens previous thoughts. If you have driven while drunk it is because you were stupid enough to believe while not drunk, that you could pull it off. I know I can not drive while drunk, so I do not. I will call a cab, call a friend, walk, take a bus, sleep in a public restroom, have myself arrested for public intoxication, do anything but I would never put my life or another persons life in danger just so I could get home comfortably. You would never do anything while drunk, that you haven't already thought about while sober. Really, those situations should never even come up, there is always a choice and always time to plan. If it doesn't work out then don't drink, no one can force a drink down your throat and if they do well you better re-evaluate what kind of person you are and the kind of people you are hanging out with.

As for accidental/intentional death/killings, once again you chose to drink, you know the risk, deal with the consequences and don't blame a liquid for your wrong doings.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

I get drunk a lot. I'm in college, it's all part of the lifestyle, and is something I know will end after graduation. Once I'm in the real world I won't really have the opportunity to drink socially any given night I choose. I'm enjoying it now because I know it'll be short lived. I've blacked out before, and made some decisions that, in retrospect, weren't great, but I'm young and it's a part of growing up. It's fun. At school I'm in a safe environment and know that nothing too serious will happen. Because even when I'm blackout, or just drunk, I'm still me. I not the type to start fights, and just because I've had a few drinks doesn't mean all of a sudden I will. I know what kind of person I am, and how alcohol affects me. The only times I've blacked out have been when I was drinking mixed drink I didn't make myself and therefore didn't know the exact potency of.

I have to say that the mentality of "I don't mind you doing it if you don't shove it in my face" is a two way street. I find there are a lot of people who don't drink with this holier than thou mentality. If I've had a few drinks, don't think I'm some bumbling idiot. I can still hold a conversation. I've got lowered inhibitions, so I'll just be a bit more open. People who shove the fact that they don't drink down your throat can be just as annoying as people who blackout every weekend and need to be taken care of. I get it, it's not your thing, but sorry, it's mine, at least at this point in my life.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I never drank until I got drunk - basically, I'm careful with myself, and I don't drink too much anyways cuz I have a history on gastric ulcers. If only people are careful about drinking, then there wouldn't be a problem.

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

I don't care if someone drinks, though I'd prefer if they do it responsibly. I hate people who drive drunk, and I also hate when someone drinks over their limit because it usually means someone is going to have to take care of them the next day. I've only tried beer and two other drinks that are both mixed. To me beer is disgusting, one of the mixed drinks I tried because the adults had an alchoholic version with more of the non-alcholic stuff that made it good. Even then they were only sips. I've seen people get drunk to where they were throwing their guts up, and even taken care of a drunk person. Like I said if someone is responsible when they drink then let them. I prefer not to drink as it doesn't appeal to me.

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

I used to drink heavily, when I was younger. Ironically, I stopped drinking the day after my 18th birthday. I have never had a lot of fun being drunk and only did it as a result of peer pressure.

Recently, I did get very drunk. A couple of weeks ago, I very narrowly avoided killing myself and two of my best friends in a car crash. To celebrate the fact we were alive, myself and a group of friends went to a pub quiz and I ended up off my face (well, since my car was a wreck, I didn't have to worry about driving :P). I did enjoy myself, but would have enjoyed myself just as much had I remained completely sober.

To those who enjoy it responsibly (oh how few you are, since being a dick when you're drunk is apparently 'cool'), I say yes, go for it. The one thing I always offer to those who flaunt the virtues of drinking: If you need to be drunk in order to have a good time, then perhaps you should look at your life, friends etc. rather than posting how bad your hangover is on Facebook every weekend and waiting to repeat it.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123