DISCUSSION: About Alcohol - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: About Alcohol

Registered Nosy Airliner Comrade Zhenya's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: About Alcohol

I don't really care about alcohol, but I hate the smell of it. Kinda like vomit, but not really.
    "Center, I have that little fuc... FOKKER in sight!" | Awesome Tumblr #1, Awesome Tumblr #2 FOLLOW for the best dashboard!

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

Alcohol is fucking amazing as long as your responsible.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

If alcohol were horribly bad for your health, then beers or wines would go out of business. XDD

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Form11ess 5hot View Post
    If alcohol were horribly bad for your health, then beers or wines would go out of business. XDD
    Well it is bad for your health if you consume too much of it. It can cause liver failure, high blood pressure, stomach upset, CNS damage, and sometimes cancer, just to name a few.
    (Sources: Alcohol Health Risks - Alcohol & Other Drugs, The Wellness Center, Student Health Services, UNCG
    Alcohol Use and Cancer)

That's why it's important for people who decide to drink to be responsible. I mean, you can say the same for almost anything. Too much sugar causes high blood pressure and weight gain for example. You just have to be responsible and manage your consumption, and generally take care of yourself is all.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

I'm cautious with alcohol. Many of my extended family members drink heavily and/or are alcoholics. I have had some sips of beer and wine, but I do not care for them. In general, I don't mind if other people drink, as long as they don't cause problems for others. And if one of my friends ever got drunk, I would never shame them (we all make bad decisions somewhere), and would be more than happy to pick them up so they don't go driving or go off walking into areas where they might be taken advantage of. The only times I come into contact with alcohol is the bottle of wine in my fridge; I use it for cooking and cook it until it is safe to consume without getting drunk.
    Satoshi-kun likes this.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    Or he could take a gun and go on a killing spree or commit suicide or something.
    Does anyone actually believe that this statement is true?
    That's nice.

Hitomi's Bulbahusband Mr. Fahrenheit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jo The Marten View Post
    You could say that for a lot of things. "I'm not interested in football. I've never played it either.", "I'm not interested in dogs, and I never had one." "I'm not interested in being a teacher, though I've never been one." Sometimes you don't need to try everything to not be interested in it. I don't see the hype of alcohol everyone else does, like it somehow makes you more of an adult. I'm perfectly happy drinking water, milk, or soda.

I will say though, that the smell of alcohol makes me want to vomit.
    This is how I see it. I almost never drink any alcoholic beverages. Couple of times I have drunk wine but I didn't really like the taste. But if others drink alcohol in moderate quantities I have nothing against it.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Alcohol does not turn ordinary people into killers. It does lower inhibitions, meaning that it might prove to be the tipping point that sets an already very unstable person off onto a violent rampage, but if you're suggesting that we're all a few drinks away from potentially murdering someone then you must have a very low opinion of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    Alcohol does not turn ordinary people into killers. It does lower inhibitions, meaning that it might prove to be the tipping point that sets an already very unstable person off onto a violent rampage, but if you're suggesting that we're all a few drinks away from potentially murdering someone then you must have a very low opinion of humanity.
    That's not what I said at all... I said that atcohol can increase the risk of dangerous activities such as drunk driving or shooting.

- If someone is driving and he is drunk then he has a much higher chance of crashing since he is not at full awareness and not using good judgement.
    - If he is not driving and he has access to a car and he's drunk then he's more likely to drive it anyway since he has bad judgement and won't always make the correct decision not to drive.
    - If he has access to a gun then he'd be more likely to use it in an incorrect manner... a way that he may not even consider if he was thinking clearly.
    - If he is drunk and using a gun (which shouldn't happen to begin with) then he is more likely to miss the target or to shoot at the wrong target.

- If someone commits suicide while drunk, you could say that maybe he was depressed and would have killed himself regardless... but it's more likely that he wasn't thinking straight and probably wouldn't have killed himself otherwise.
    - If someone open fires on a croud while drunk, you could say that it's just an incredibly stupid person who would have done it anyway, but I find it more likely that the alcohol was somehow involved.
    - If someone murders someone while drunk then it is almost entirely because he is drunk and not because he planned the murder... if he had planned it then why would he be drunk? Being drunk would increase the chances of the murder failing or you getting caught and usually murderers are trying to not be caught...

Trophies
    Blog Entries

So you think they were regular people who took a sip of alcohol and suddenly became killers? Think again. These articles mean nothing.
    That's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnYellow View Post
    So you think they were regular people who took a sip of alcohol and suddenly became killers? Think again. These articles mean nothing.
    In none of these articles is there any indication that these were not just ordinary people.

First article - not sure, but I don't know about the guy's background to really know.
    Second article - yes, it probably was the alcohol. That or he was just incredibly irresponsible / an idiot... but since he had been drinking then I don't see why that should be ignored. And he wasn't even "drunk" by Indiana's standards
    Third artcile - yes, I am almost completely positive that this was the alcohol. That is some highly unlikely timing for a guy who would have killed himself anyway...
    Fourth article - either he was drunk or that guy was an idiot. I don't have any information on his background to be sure.
    Fifth article - just like the third article... seems highly unlikely that his death would occur at that moment
    Sixth article - no idea. Obviously he was irresponsible for sleeping with a gun in his hand, but I don't know if he commonly slept that way or if it was because he was drunk.

In general, yes, the alcohol is having an impact on these peoples's actions.
    Last edited by Xenidal; 21st May 2012 at 04:41 PM.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Alcohol does affect people's judgement when they drink too much. I dont believe being drunk makes people into killers instantly, but I think it is possible for a person to get drunk and accidently shoot/kill someone. I do think that the people that were mentioned in those articles had other mental problems, and drank too much, and with their impaired judgement shot others or killed themselves.

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

I agree that under the influence of alcohol, accidents happen. Does it make people killers? No, not at all. What it does do is impairs people's judgement, and that will affect some more than others. Yes, in some cases, people have become so impaired by alcohol that they accidentally killed someone. They're simply that, accidents. Accidents also occur even when people aren't under the influence. Maybe they're just preoccupied with other things, and accidentally get someone else into a dangerous situation. (Leaving the stove on, leaving a child in the car or in the bath unsupervised, etc.) So both arguments are correct, but I think everyone's taking it a bit too personally.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

First off, let me start off by saying that I very much enjoy drinking. I drink a few times a week. I don't always get drunk, nor have I ever blacked out drunk, had a night of which the details were blurry, or ever had anyone ever have to take care of me because I drank too much. Everyone has their slip ups in which they're at a party and have a bit too much to drink and get sick. It happens.

That being said, you don't want to drink? That's completely cool! I won't pressure you in to it. It's not something everyone enjoys, and that is fine by me. But you know what? I do, and when I do, I make sure I'm in a safe place (usually at home or at a friend's for the night) and I do so responsibly. I have no tolerance whatsoever for those that choose to drive drunk. It's fucking stupid, end of story. I hate it when people say "oh, I can drive fine when I'm drunk!" No, you can't, and if you really can't crash on someone's couch for the night, sleep in your car. You might be uncomfortable, but you were the one that chose to drink when you knew you had to drive home eventually. DRINK. FUCKING. RESPONSIBLY. It's NOT hard! Figure this shit out before you drink! If you can't, then don't drink.

Just because I drink quite often does not make me an alcoholic. It has never interfered with getting to work on time, etc. But a huge key here is that I know my limit. I don't drink myself sick every evening just because I can and because it's there.

Honestly, I didn't bother to do much more than skim through these articles. But I can nearly guarantee that these people had problems far deeper than just their choice to drink. Have I drank because I was angry or depressed? Certainly. I realize it doesn't have the same affect for everyone, but for me, it makes me happier. But for others, it does bring out their anger. Those are the people I choose to avoid when drinking. Am I excusing these people for the acts they committed? Absolutely not. But to get drunk and go off and murder someone goes far deeper than a choice to get drunk that night. They didn't wake up and say "GRRR I'M SO PISSED I'M GONNA DRINK THIS FIFTH AND GO ON A MURDERING SPREE!!!" There are clearly already issues here in their thinking, and while their choice to drink may have affected it, this isn't something you just decide to do.

Do people get drunk and do stupid shit? Of course they do. But things as serious as intentional suicide or murder; they were premeditated long before their choice to drink came in to play. You don't just get drunk and decide to kill yourself, there were thoughts leading up to that before the initial act, and in many cases, alcohol is used to dull the pain. And another thing, if you're going to get drunk, you should be SMART about it and keep firearms out of reach of yourself if you even THINK someone is going to do something stupid.

By the way, was kinda drunk when I wrote this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast