Like Tree19Likes

Thread: About Alcohol

shhhhh.
    Blog Entries

Follow Parma on Tumblr

Default About Alcohol

“6 Reasons Why a Little Glass of Wine Each Day May Do You Good”

“Alcohol is bad for blood pressure.”

In different societies and cultures, alcohol is seen in different ways. Some see it as the be all and end all of social interaction, while others see it as a gateway drug.

What are your thoughts on this practice?
    the vile, wandering one sneaks up

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: About Alcohol

While it does have bad effects on health, it's been confirmed by doctors that alcohol DOES have its good deeds. I think it's just like coffee - keep it to the recommended amount and you stay healthy, but overuse can be deadly.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As long as you don't get TOO drunk and get a hangover or harm/ embarass others, it's fine when used responsibly.

And if you are drinking, make sure there's carbs in your stomach to absorb the alcohol, and water helps too.

I know in America, alcohol is Adam and Eve's forbidden fruit to underage people with the temptation put on by society. Then, when you get to your 20s, it's almost THE thing to do at a party!

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Form11ess 5hot View Post
    While it does have bad effects on health, it's been confirmed by doctors that alcohol DOES have its good deeds. I think it's just like coffee - keep it to the recommended amount and you stay healthy, but overuse can be deadly.
    A lot of those studies you see are flawed, though. People who consume just a small amount of alcohol do, on average, live a bit longer than people who consume no alcohol at all. But it doesn't prove there's a benefit to drinking alcohol: the results are skewed because the teetotal group includes former alcoholics and people who can't drink due to serious medical conditions, and these may have a lower life expectancy in general.

Not that I dislike alcohol: I'm a big cider fan. But these days I have to moderate my intake because it's making me fat...

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

There are those good quality wines that are sold expensive and they make good gifts for formal parties. A lot of countries have long histories of having alcohol, and if it were bad for their health, they wouldn't have kept it for a long time. But from the ancient times, they brewed crops to make alcohol. Besides, being famous for alcohol doesn't seem to give them negative impacts. Germany is famous for beer production, and I haven't seen anyone viewing it as a negative reputation.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parmalee View Post
    What are your thoughts on this practice?
    I strongly agree with this practice, and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a serious medical condition, is over the legal drinking age, and is not looking to drive or operate heavy machinery in the next few hours.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka On Twitter
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

My position on the practice of drinking is pretty similar to ^ post; if the person can be responsible about the results and can watch themselves, then it sounds fine to me in general.

I don't mind drinking with friends and family, but I do try to stick to weekends rather than weekdays. And while I'm 'tolerant' to alcohol (or think I am, I rarely suffer from a hangover), I don't drink more than a can of beer at once. And I try not to drink alcohol mixtures. I find [carbonated soda + wine] an addictive mix though.

FC: 2294-4703-4926 | 제노바
    Friend Safari Info: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchfinder)

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

I do not personally care for it. I've never drunken it and never plan to. I do get annoyed when people tell me, "Oh you say that now," like I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not naive, I just have no interests in becoming intoxicated, even slightly.

If other people want to, that is their business and their choice. I'm only bothered when it starts to affect me negatively. What I mean is if a drunken person wants to fight or argue due to their drunken state, I don't want to be involved.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Alcohol isnt that great. I dont really enjoy it that much. Ive had drinks, but it isnt something I want often at all and I never drink enough to get drunk or have a hangover( which hopefully i'll never have) Maybe later in life I'll enjoy it more but I dont really drink at all or buy alcohol. I do think it's fine in moderation though.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jo The Marten View Post
    I do not personally care for it. I've never drunken it and never plan to. I do get annoyed when people tell me, "Oh you say that now," like I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not naive, I just have no interests in becoming intoxicated, even slightly.

If other people want to, that is their business and their choice. I'm only bothered when it starts to affect me negatively. What I mean is if a drunken person wants to fight or argue due to their drunken state, I don't want to be involved.
    How do you know you don't care for it if you've never tried it?
    That's nice.

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

You could say that for a lot of things. "I'm not interested in football. I've never played it either.", "I'm not interested in dogs, and I never had one." "I'm not interested in being a teacher, though I've never been one." Sometimes you don't need to try everything to not be interested in it. I don't see the hype of alcohol everyone else does, like it somehow makes you more of an adult. I'm perfectly happy drinking water, milk, or soda.

I will say though, that the smell of alcohol makes me want to vomit.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

President of everything. Headless Whoreman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Headless Whoreman on Tumblr Visit Headless Whoreman's Youtube Channel

I don't care if people take it, as long as they can control themselves and moderate their intake. I personally don't drink (nor will I ever), so I don't really have an opinion on its taste. Its smell, however, is awful.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I have no problem with people drinking if they don't overdo it and cause harm to themselves or others. I wouldn't call myself a drinker as I very rarely drink anything alcoholic; when I go to a party or I'm celebrating a holiday I'll have a few drinks, but nothing that will make me more than a bit tipsy. I also really don't like the taste of most alcohol I've tried, so I generally have mixed drinks whenever I have a drink and never just straight up alcohol. But that's as far as I've ever gone with drinking.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Quote Originally Posted by Jo The Marten View Post
    I will say though, that the smell of alcohol makes me want to vomit.
    This (except I wouldn't say "vomit", lol)
    Stuff with a high alcohol content such as rum literally smells like rubbing alcohol. I don't even like to be around it.
    And beer just smells disgusting so I don't drink it.
    And then there's that disgusting smell that seems to radiate from the drunks.
    I have never had any alcohol before, but the smell itself keeps me away. That, and I simply have no interest in drinking any.

I have found one good use for it though -- get something like inexpensive rum or vodka and use it as rubbing alcohol. It has a lot of alcohol in it so it has some of the bacteria-killing benefits of rubbing alcohol, but also it isn't denatured and purposely made extremely poisonous like rubbing alcohol is so it's not as dangerous. Especially if you have to use it near your mouth for whatever reason.

As far as other people drinking...
    In general, I don't like other people drinking either. First off, underage drinking is not at all acceptable and those people should be reported to the authorities on principle (the same as any other law-breaker should be reported). Then there's the violent or annyoing drunks which have a direct impact on other people who shouldn't have to put up with their crap. Anyone else I would say I don't care.. but I wouldn't hang out with anyone who is drunk or go out to a bar just to sit around and be bored to death while waiting for someone else to finish drinking.
    There is one huge problem with drinking though... it immediately affects the drinker's abilites, particularly judgement. As soon as that judgement goes bad (even if the person is not yet drunk) there's no telling if he's going to continue drinking and become drunk or stop before it gets to that point... and most likely he doesn't even have much control over what happens. If he becomes drunk (or even if he doesn't but is still impaired by the alcohol) he could do hazardous things, such as getting into a car and crashing it, killing several people who weren't even involved. Or he could take a gun and go on a killing spree or commit suicide or something. A lot of drunk drivers probably would not have willingly chose to drive while drunk but ended up driving because they completely lost all sense of good judgement and ended up driving anyway. For this reason, drinking any substantial amount of alcohol at all can be risky.
    Last edited by Xenidal; 20th May 2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Midorikawa likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

I'm indifferent. I might take a beer or two in a fitting occasion, or perhaps a glass of wine, but I really don't care much. I'm a person who prefer to be in control over myself, so drinking too much is out of the question anyways. I'm not overly enthusiastic about shitfaced drunk people either, but none of the people I'm around usually get that, so it's not a big problem for me.

If anyone were to comment on my drinking (if they would, it would probably just be because I drink so little compared to a lot of others), I'd tell them to fucking mind their own business.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast