What music is important to you?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What music is important to you?

Blog Entries

Default What music is important to you?

What music has had the most profound impact on your life? What do you put on when you're having a hard day, tough break-up, etc.?

The Beach Boys: Yeah, the early sun/surf/girls pop is fun, but I get a lot more from their later material, where singer/songwriter/resident genius Brian Wilson is becoming more and more mentally ill and isolating himself from the world. When he finally conquered his mental problems, and finished his 'SMiLE' album after almost forty years, it was nothing less than a triumph, a celebration of the power of music.

The Band: Generically named, but for me, they represent everything that is right about music. They were real musicians, not rock stars, and their songs seem to speak to the listener on a very personal level. Their live album/concert film, The Last Waltz, their final concert with a variety of special guests, is so sad and happy at the same time that it's hard to watch without getting emotional.

Bob Dylan: Great sonwriter, his songs can be interpreted so many ways that they are always connectible. No other singer has perfectly expressed loneliness, confusion, anger, and general mixed feelings as perfectly as Mr. Robert Zimmerman.

Van Morrison: Maybe the greatest singer I have ever heard, never sings a song the same way twice. 'Caravan' is the greatest celebration of music ever.

Wilco: Goes to show that great music is being produced to this day.

What do you think? What music gets you on an emotional level?

when you need more, have+ bell02+'s Avatar

Default Re: What music is important to you?

Unfortunately I listen to music for Inspiration, I don't listen to it to really get emotional. Any emotion I get from a song comes from the idea in my head as a result from it. I just don't live through music, so I don't do things like apply it to life like handle break ups, or bad days, or good days...

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

I have a few, but Van Morrison? I don't like so much, especially hearing him with the chieftains, he did a few good songs, but I don't think any where with them.

I like lots of traditional Scottish and Irish music, I think more so because on my grandads side, on my dads side of family, they originally came from Scotland , as did my grandads family on my mums side and both my grannies families were from Ireland.

I did not really like traditional music until I was about 12-13, then later on got whistles and flutes and I can now play some traditional Scottish and Irish music on them quite well.

Also New Zealand music, ore Maroi I like alot, especially after hearing Hayley Westenra for the first time, which I am glad I did, cause after that I met one really amazing person as she listened to her music as well, and I met someone else to who is a great friend of mine who listens to same music. I can now even sing a few maroi songs, but I don't know what all the words mean to the songs yet.

John Denver: Great poet and songwriter, one of my favourite singers, sings from the heart. Some of his songs I like the best include, Aspen Glow, Stonehaven Sunset, Annies Song and Perhaps Love with Placio DeMingo.

I don't dislike any music styles except heavy metal, hard dance and headbanging type music. If a song has a good tune and good lyrics, I might like it, but its songs that have a meaning I like the most.

A long time ago, I liked Dana Lyons music. Some of the songs appealed to me like "Native Forest Song", "Sea Shepherd", "Canyon" and my favourite of his "The only time that matters" as I loved the guitar in it.

Thanks Felly for banner

^That was close to me. Interesting

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hey, I'm a Celtic music fan too! (fell head over heels in love with it when Riverdance took the USA by storm, and never looked back)

I'm also partial to pop and some rock from the 80's and 90's--not only do I have a lot of memories associated with these songs, but they came from an era when singing from your heart was important. (something that's sadly become harder to find now)
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Qntal - Out of three CDs, I liked three songs, each making me feel different things: one's kind of calm and "airy" (its name does translate as "bird flight"...) yet makes me think of an utterly barren sandy desert; another strikes me as odd and intriguing; the one I like the most is exciting and sensual (and is a Latin song about drinking! 8D).

The Cure - I like quite a few of their songs. They're pretty. It used to be my Guild Wars adventurin' music, but it's been replaced by Qntal.

DragonForce - Some of their songs are very pretty, too. I liked listening to them generally, and they also used to be my adventurin' music. They always got me excited and brought some interesting visuals. They also totally overpowered all the rest of the music I listened to in terms of coolness.

New Order - Mostly just "True Faith," actually. I've liked it forever. Some of their other stuff is nice, too, but it's "True Faith" that gets me the most. (Though now I can't listen to "60 Miles an Hour" without getting annoyed because the video was stupid. D: )

Haibane Renmei's music (Kou Ootani) - It's odd: when I feel like crap emotionally, I sometimes wallow in it. This helps me do that, considering how miserable and miserably familiar HR was. (And if I wasn't feeling bad before, I would after.)

Fluke's music (Carlo Siliotto) - Similar to the above.

Well, if it counts, my math teacher plays The Beatles when we take tests. I was stuck on this one part, and then "Hey Jude" came on. I got like, three answers during that song. It was pretty impressive.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

The Who. As of now, they are my favorite band in the whole world. Their songs are just incredible, and they take me back to the days when music had depth and meaning and when it was actually about the music, rather than image and appealing to the public.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Insana Dana View Post
    The Who. As of now, they are my favorite band in the whole world. Their songs are just incredible, and they take me back to the days when music had depth and meaning and when it was actually about the music, rather than image and appealing to the public.
    I love the Who. For my money, the best rhythm section in rock and roll- Entwistle & Moon.
    What's your favorite track?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx3000 View Post
    I have a few, but Van Morrison? I don't like so much, especially hearing him with the chieftains, he did a few good songs, but I don't think any where with them.
    I respectfully disagree. I think it's a bit odd that you're into Irish music and do not appreciate the (doubtless) greatest musician to come out of the Emerald Isle.
    I'm going to listen to 'Caravan' and 'Tupelo Honey.'

Blog Entries

anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by King Koop View Post
    anyone?
    I'd rather listen to J-pop than to listen to rap like half of America feels it should just because the half in itself is. >_>

Japanese music (at least the stuff I listen to) seems to have some inner symbolic meaning. i.e. Yui. She grew up without a father and I think her music is just an expression of the life she had with her mother and the inner beauty in it that is just begging to be channeled.

I also just purchased the Sarah Brightmen: harem album. I like to listen to her about 40% of the time. ^_^ A nice change of pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Senbonzakura View Post
    I'd rather listen to J-pop than to listen to rap like half of America feels it should just because the half in itself is. >_>

Japanese music (at least the stuff I listen to) seems to have some inner symbolic meaning.
    Well, I don't like rap music, and neither do a lot of people.
    There is also a lot of American music with meaning.

The Counterweight TheArsenalRisen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What music is important to me?

Music that doesn't suck. /shot

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Music from the 60's,70's,80's and early 90's. There are a few current jams that I can listen to too.

And many Japanesse music cause I really love it. :)

I'm more of an "important songs" as compared to bands/artists.

For me:
    American Pie - Don McLean (NOT THE MADONNA VERSION!!!)
    Hikari no Naka e - Maaya Sakamoto

...erm, that's actually probably it XD Those 2 are milestone songs for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast