Snooty Art Discussion

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Snooty Art Discussion

Trophies

Default Snooty Art Discussion

General thread for discussing anything related to the Art section. Questions, suggestions, and positive discussion of other people's work is all welcome.
    Last edited by EmBreon; 11th November 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Default Re: Snooty Art Discussion

Baha, nice title. How perfect.

Monbrey, I think we should start the discussion off with your 100 point Magikarp pic! :D

urpg

Trophies

I assume you mean this one? I didn't want to post it so soon as it clearly sets the quality standard far too high. No-one will be able to reach this.

EmBreon likes this.

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

Monbrey and EmBreon like this.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Blog Entries

So is the art thing a go? Are we able to start posting stuff, or is everything still being hammered out?

Also I'm assuming that when you earn points, they don't carry over to to other pictures? So for example you draw a Charmander and get 50 points; you then try a Charmeleon and get 60. The previous 50 from Charmander don't carry over, do they?

I kinda wanna say that sucks for people who can't draw specific Pokemon well, but at the same time, the same goes for if you can't write very well; characters don't carry over from previous stories, so if you want a higher-tier Mon, you have to improve to get it.

I wanna draw stuffs now, but I suck at shading and backgrounds, so I won't be catching too many of the higher-ranked Pokemon XD.

EDIT: HAY HOW MANY POINTS DO I GET FOR THIS:

Trophies

This section isn't officially open yet - it's still hidden to everyone except Staff. Most of the planning for this was done outside of the Staff forums due to obvious reasons. I'll delete some of this discussion before the official opening, which I'll announce in General somewhere

As for your drawing, I may not be the best one to score it, I'm more focused towards the computery stuff. Is everything you do grim-dark? :P The background and text is effective, and the picture itself has a unique twist, so points for creativity. But its otherwise fairly simple. I think we agreed that my Magikarp pic was enough to get a Magikarp, but not much else (25-30). I think I'd give the Wigglytuff something in the 40-50 range, but like I said, drawn art isn't my best criteria. Over time Curators will get a better idea of what to score individual pieces based on how many they've seen - subconcious averaging. The more terrible and/or amazing pieces we get, the middle gets easier to score. We don't know where the Bell Curve is yet.

For what you said about carry-over points, no, there's no extra bonuses, same as extra characters is worthless. I wouldn't mind a completely hidden reward if anyone pulls out something worth 100/100, but that would be at the agreement of more than one Curator. What I was considering though, when you mentioned Charmander and Charmeleon, that if you attempted to draw a Charizard and didn't quite cut it (a score in the 70's), you could still claim a Charmander? Thoughts on that?

If anyone else has suggestions for stuff prior to opening, get posting.

Blog Entries

Lol I posted that drawing as a joke :3. It's one of my better Pogeymanz but I would try to submit something better ^_^.

I like the idea of getting a prevo form of an evolved Mon if you score x number of points. Unlike Stories or RPs, where it's easy to edit in a battle or type up another capture attempt post, editing art to make it "worthy" of catching the target can be hard, especially for drawn art. If a person has no scanner or photo-editing program (or no skill with a photo-editing program), then they might very well have to do a piece all over again if they need to add something to it. Being able to walk away with something is better than getting nothing for a lot of effort put into a particular piece, be it a drawing, a sculpture, or w/e.

Trophies

Yeah. I'll accept re-scores, if people DO want to touch up and resubmit something though.

WhatWasOnceIsNoLongerWere Phantom Kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So I was wondering if we could add to the drawing ranks a sentence or two about what it's expected in each category, like how the Stories section have for their ranks. It would a URPGer an idea of what each category is looking for. A description could be something like, "Art here must have some kind of shading with a recognized light source. There should be no big errors in anatomy." We could have small descriptions like this on the most popular art mediums like Spriting and Digital Art and then add more as the section gains more Curators with knowledge on other mediums, like Sculpting and Banner making.

- Kat

URPG Stats | Banner by Knightblazer

AV art: *biscuitcrumbs | Character: me

Trophies

I had considered something like that, but we essentially want everyone to be TRYING to get 100 scores (even though they wont). To define whats good enough for 40 points to me feels like we'd be suggesting people put a cap on their efforts.

I do see your point though. Fot each art style it does make sense to include something about what the Curators look for, advice on how to achieve a high score.

Yo.

I think $5,000 potential for an art grade is too high. :x That's the same as a Moderate grade (the grade itself, barring the extra characters should the story have them), which could take someone an hour or two to write up. ^^; Art grades shouldn't be that complex - look at the picture, analyze it a bit, write up a few sentences. Shouldn't take anyone any more than about 20 minutes.

Just my two-cents.

urpg

Trophies

Alright, fair enough, what would you suggest then? 1k - 3k?
    EmBreon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    Alright, fair enough, what would you suggest then? 1k - 3k?
    I know it's Emma's idea, but if we're going by grader wages, 2500 or 3000 sounds right.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Forgot I posted that, heh. Sorry

But yeah, I agree with those suggestions.

And Monbrey, I know you wanted me to post some questions/terms to define the other day after I mentioned it, but I was thinking... people could just google the word, so I guess it might be pointless to do that. v_v

Some basic shiz they should know

Drawing/Painting: Balance, Lines, Color/Shading, Focal, Light source
    Graphics: Flow, Stocks, Focal, Light source
    Sculpting: Form, Symmetry/Asymmetry, Material

You could, perhaps, have a sample picture and ask "Point out the focal point of this image" and etc. And if they don't know what it is, they'll at least have to look it up and read the definition to learn it in order to answer the question, rather than just c/p.

I don't know about other mediums. Photography and such could half be considered graphics I guess, though I am not sure if snapping a picture at the perfect angle and location should get a Pokemon. ;x Like I whined about many times, the amount of effort that goes into each of the different types of art should be put into consideration, not just the skill. A fantastic banner could take 20 minutes, while a fantastic drawing/sculpture might take 20 hours.

Throwing some random numbers out:

Photography- maximum 30 points
    Graphics- maximum 50 points
    Drawn/Painted/Sculpted/PAPER FOLDED?- maximum 100 points

And whatever other mediums there are out there that I'm not thinking of. Don't remember if you said you would allow videography and the like. Might be a good idea to decide what you want to allow, and leave that the permanent and only acceptable material so we can organize our rules and crap around it. Otherwise, we might get overwhelmed in the hundreds of potential submissions like singing and dancing and whatever else people come up with as we go along. I am personally too lazy to come up with an infinite number of point guides.

urpg

Trophies

I really don't see how photography and videography are possible. Photographs primarily take photos of things in REALITY and not imaginary creatures from video games. Therefore anything that you would be taking a photo of should fall into another category, like a model or whatever.

Animation I've considered, which I think will fall under graphics, as somewhat of a higher tier.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast