The Lark's Scribbles - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Lark's Scribbles

Default Re: The Lark's Scribbles

@Sky Lark

Espurr w/ tree and sparkler

Last edited by Axion; 20th February 2014 at 09:03 PM.

@Sky Lark

Buneary

Espurr 2

Last edited by Axion; 20th February 2014 at 10:24 PM.

cottonee2.png
    WIP :O

cottonee3.png
    Sunset Sky
    Cottonee, the Cotton Puff Pokemon, is apparently so light that "they go wherever the wind takes them," so I took that and immediately thought of dandelions.
    Last edited by Sky Lark; 8th March 2014 at 04:11 AM.

ralts2.jpg
    Shoot for the Moon

I'm high above the city
    I'm standing on the ledge
    The view from here is pretty
    And I step off the edge

-Broadway, Here I Come

Initially, I had Ralts dangling with one arm hanging onto the moon, but I kept getting Ralts at a weird angle. That smoky object behind the buildings is my interpretation of smog. It says "Lark" near the bottom right corner.

claiming cottonee

I am claiming Shoot for the Moon.
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

Shoot for the Moon Curation.
    @Sky Lark; Sorry about the wait!

Form

I see you chose to use the shiny version of Ralts here, which goes perfect with the theme you have running. I don't see anything wrong with the color or form. The mon hanging from the tip of the moon would've been interesting, but I totally understand about odd angles and whatnot. I think this alternative pose is interesting anyway. The only complaint I would have is that it's a little small and hard to see. Since it's super close anyway compared to the buildings/other stars, you probably could've gotten away with having it take up a bigger part of the sky.

It doesn't look like the mon is struggling much to stay where it is either. This is backed up by the pleasant expression, so I'm assuming it's intentional. That would fit well with the song too, since that's pretty chill. The arms are also casual, like leaning over a fence, and since the Ralts isn't heavily leaning into the moon, it doesn't seem to take much effort. What I'm wondering is how the Ralts got up there. Did it use its psychic powers? If so, is it still using them?

This could be a connection to the song and enhance the story. Maybe if it did use its psychic powers, there could be an aura surrounding it like I've seen in some other pieces. The tune (and since you posted lyrics, there's a connection there you can capitalize on) sets a goal to achieve, much like the Ralts here. But it doesn't come easy, it takes real work. Showing the viewers that in your piece could make the picture even more fun to look at.

Technique

I really like the style of this. The dark outline gives the Ralts emphasis from the rest of the piece, which draws the eye. It also help that Ralts is set against the sharp, bright moon, and since everything else is a little murky, that's drawing too. I think you could've almost taken this further. Broadway and stars go together, so maybe a little shine on the Ralts/emanating from the moon could've been neat. This could also be connected to that psychic aura I was talking about earlier.

The shadows on the Ralts are also well done. I can see a slight highlight on the top of the at too, so I'm pleased with that. The only other place you could've maybe added some additional shadows would be the buildings. Granted, these are in the background and are not that important, but even some simple shading would eliminate the flat feel—particularly from the second building from the left and the furthest on the right. These seem to have additional parts or buildings behind them, and its a little hard to distinguish them.

I really do like the mist/fog effect too. The murk it creates help the Ralts stand out, but it also enhances the story, since it can make people think of tough city life. The mon then symbolizes rising above that and being a star despite darkness/hard times/etc. The fact that it's not solid and blends in with everything so well makes it even better.

Background

Like I said before, the mist really brings this piece together, but I also like the details in the buildings. As mentioned above, a couple shadows would've given them some dimension, but they still look cool for the style you chose. Depth is present in the darker and lighter buildings, making some seem closer than others. You almost could've had some even closer to the viewer by making them slightly brighter, since there doesn't seem to be anything underneath them at all.

This goes for the stars too. The title of your piece reminded me of that saying “Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you'll land among the stars” yet here, the stars seem almost an afterthought. And with the broadway/shiny theme you have going, I sort of would've liked to see a couple of them perhaps in the foreground with the moon and Ralts.

In fact, out of the entire piece, the stars are the only thing that seem a little out of place. Everything else has a crisper edge except Ralts (even behind the smog), but the stars are wobbly. It just seems a little odd when everything else is styled different, yet emphasis isn't meant to be placed on the stars at all. I think if some of the stars had been in the same pattern as the moon, that would've been pretty cool. Bringing some closer would've also added some extra depth and placed the Ralts in space more clearly. It's a little for the moon to be so close when no other stars are.

Result

Overall, this piece really came together. You have a simple style in the background with some added emphasis on the Pokemon. For Medium-rank, this works. There are a couple things you could keep in mind for next time as a way to enhance story and make your message even clearer, but you did a good job with this one. I'm scoring it 45/45 which means Ralts is captured!
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123