SPECIAL: September 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

Thread: September 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default September 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

B2W2 is over now. See you in the volumes for the conclusion.

Next CoroCoro Ichiban will start XY.

And now a summary from Coronis.

Just picked up the November issue of Ichiban, which is the last Ichiban chapter of the series.

We continue at the point where Rakutsu is making an attempt to capture Genesect. Without weakening it, Rakutsu starts throwing Pokeballs consecutively. Looker is shocked that Rakutsu attempts capture this way, but he soon sees that Dewott is also attacking Genesect in conjunction with the Pokeball throw, which speeds up the weakening of Genesect since it has to deal with fending off the balls and the attacks at the same time.

Rakutsu recalls a previous time, when he just passed all his tests at the International Police HQ. His senior (shown in shadow) took him to the Int. Police's Pokemon training ground, and showed him the Pokemon who had yet to find an officer partner. It is revealed that despite Rakutsu's superb skills, he didn't actually own any Pokemon, and he was offered one of them. Rakutsu declined at first since he felt that he has not met any Pokemon that could complement his skills. However, he laid eyes on Dewott, and his interest was raised. (it is worth noting that unlike the other Pokemon who stood in a line, Dewott sat aside to polish its scalchops, and the scene cuts off when Rakutsu asks about it, so it's possible that it is more than just the Int. Police's training ground Pokemon).

Back to the present, Genesect is starting to get worn, and Colress picks up one of the Pokeballs, complimenting on their hand-fit cover design. He peels open one of them to reveal a Luxury Ball, and becomes exhilirated because he thinks Rakutsu shares his belief. He states that a Luxury Ball raises a Pokemon's happiness, and it is easier to draw out the strength of a happy Pokemon, which is analagous to how his Colress Machine works.

However, Rakutsu remarks that the Colress Machine is a total failure, and his words causes Colress to go crazy. He starts attacking them with Techno Blast again, and Looker doesn't understand why Rakutsu is provoking Colress. Rakutsu explains that Colress is someone who is obsessed with his own work, and will not tolerate anyone calling his work a failure. Looker still doesn't understand why Rakutsu wants Colress to keep attacking them, and Rakutsu gestures towards the drive part on Genesect's back, which has been lodged by one of Dewott's scalpchops. It turns out that Rakutsu is trying to find out if that external portion of Genesect's body holds any significance and indeed, when Colress notices the scalchop, although he isn't sure if Rakutsu already knows what it does, he decides to demonstrate it. Colress pulls out a suitcase containing the four different Drives of Genesect, and starts to exchange the 'Normal Drive' that Genesect has.

Rakutsu grabs that chance to order Dewott to attack, and Colress has some difficulty in exchanging due to the scalchop, but he manages to switch into the Shock Drive and fire off an electric Techno Blast, which hits Dewott directly and causes an explosion.

When the smoke clears, to everyone's surprise, a Pokeball rolls on the floor, shakes and indicates a successful capture. Dewott is nowhere to be found, and a shocked Looker confronts Colress, reminding him of both of their fake disguises during the League. He asks why Colress has resorted to something like the Colress machine when he obviously had true trainer skills back then with his Beeheeyem and Klink. Colress reminds Looker that he failed back then, which is why he thinks the Machine is more effective to bring out the skills in a Pokemon. Looker attempts to capture Colress with the Adjustable Wappa (means Ring), an extendable handcuff, but Colress escapes capture and starts to fly away with Beeheeyem's psychic powers.

Before he leaves, Colress reveals that the scientists of Team Plasma failed to put Genesect inside a Pokeball, and thus resorted to his Colress Machine to control it. He congratulates Rakutsu for successfully capturing it, and wishes to learn his name. After Rakutsu states himself, Colress tells Looker that Ghetsis actually wanted him eradicated, implying that the Scolipede was under Team Plasma's control as well. Colress also reveals that he has become the leader of Team Plasma since N's demise, and tells them to learn about the details from Ghetsis. With that, he disappears.

Looker is shocked that Colress leaves Genesect behind just like that, but Rakutsu explains that Colress is more concerned about his Machine. He then reveals the hiding place of Dewott, which was covered by the Invisible Cloak, and Looker is surprised to learn that Rakutsu equipped Dewott with feathers and Rare Candies to withstand Techo Blast's damage. Still, Rakutsu compliments Dewott for being a true warrior.

The crowd starts to get involved at the scene, and Rakutsu starts to use his charm on the young girls again. Looker gets upset and starts to drag Rakutsu away, but Rakutsu reveals the true reason why he is trying to be a lady's man. It turns out that 2 years ago, when the Colress Machine was under production, Team Plasma split into two groups, one for it, and one against it. The group against it developed a technology that could nullify the signals from the Colress Machine. However, the technology was lost, and the only chip containing its details is said to be with a former Team Plasma member which is a 12-year-old girl, which is why Rakutsu is investigating young girls that age.

Meanwhile, back in Faitsu's room, she keeps herself happy by putting on her Team Plasma uniform, and hums that she will continue to fight everyday as she is Faitsu.

The last scene shows Rakutsu telling Looker to prepare a report of their battle, and to send Genesect back to their HQs.

=====================================

Quite a long and interesting chapter. Never would have guessed that Genesect is captured just like that, but it's no surprise since this is the last chapter of the series in Ichiban. I expect that Fan vol.32 which comes out on October 1 will still carry B2W2, but I'm not so sure about 33 which comes out in November. The next issue of Ichiban starts the XY chapter.

It's good to know that our missing Int. Police Gadget 11 was indeed the handcuffs, but it's the first one that uses Japanese words instead of all-English words.

Dewott's background would be interesting to explore, as I feel it is not just another Int. Police force trained Pokemon. Rakutsu sends Genesect back, so I assume he will not keep it on his team. Seems like he does not have other Pokemon on his team as well.

Faitsu, her name always sounds like 'Fights', but I'm not sure if the writers are just playing on the rhyme in this chapter. Anyway, if Fan indeed has the last B2W2 chapter in Oct, this will be the shortest running magazine series of all. It's already the shortest Ichiban series anyway, with only 3 chapters.

Edit: the gift post card that comes with Ichiban

Coronis~

Blog Entries

Default Re: September 2013 "Pocket Monsters Special" Review Thread

Wasn't there another chapter coming up in Fan in a couple weeks?

Regarding the newest chapter... it seems like just as much of a mess as the previous chapters of this arc have been. :/

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Pic's from Coronis-

Faitsu's so cute , Too Bad She didn't do a thing as Dex-holder .
    Hugh also didn't got a chance get revenge .
    I wonder if this really the end ???
    There still a lot left !
    May be Kusaka plan to have PWT Saga after XY Saga with all Dex-holder where Colress & Neo Team Plasma will finally be stopped .
    Last edited by Hurricane Kishore; 24th September 2013 at 09:41 AM.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Kishore View Post
    Pic's from Coronis-
    You mean the pics that are in the post I made?

No. It'll be finished in the volumes, like always.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post

You mean the pics that are in the post I made?

Actually , I post them from Serebii !
    I didn't notice that you post the link too until I posted the image !

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    So that means that B2W2 won't end here? If so, I'm so excited.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I have a feeling the chapter that gets printed in Tuesday's issue of Pokemon Fan will be one that focuses on Hitetoo. It would make for a good one-off story (which is all they really have time for) and could help explain her relationship with the Plasma-Dan.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012