Pokemon Adventures volume 8 review thread - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Adventures volume 8 review thread

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Pokemon Adventures volume 8 review thread

*sigh*...not the Lady Berlitz debate again...for the sake of the argument, her name is now Debbie okay?

Also, just for reference:

You don't even have to know Japanese to be able to match up the characters.

In Pokémon Adventures, the Pokédex holders are named after the main series games. In the English language, there is no "Pokémon Platina Version", however there is a "Pokémon Platinum Version". So regardless of how the Japanese, or some fan romanises it, Lady Berlitz will be called "Platinum Berlitz".

-END-

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu Shoji View Post
    So regardless of how the Japanese, or some fan romanises it, Lady Berlitz will be called "Platinum Berlitz".[/b]
    Of course. I never argued that. The English word is "platinum", so of course she should be named that, just like the first games weren't named "Aka" and "Ao" outside Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureauthor View Post
    Nah. The amount of gratuitous english in the game is ridiculous. It's 'Platinum' on both sides of the pond.
    That, however, is just wrong. Not every loan word has to come from English, and anyone with half a brain should be able to deduce that when the English word from the metal is "platinum", the word for the metal in pretty much every single other laguage in the world is "platina", and the Japanese word is pronounced "platina" and not "platinum", they probably got it from some non-English language.

Here, does this finally hammer in in?

Okay, apparantly the word is taken from Spanish, not portugese, but same shit. It's not the English word "platinum". Jesus Christ you people are thick.
    Last edited by Adamant; 31st July 2010 at 09:05 AM.
    So.

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    That, however, is just wrong. Not every loan word has to come from English, and anyone with half a brain should be able to deduce that when the English word from the metal is "platinum", the word for the metal in pretty much every single other laguage in the world is "platina", and the Japanese word is pronounced "platina" and not "platinum", they probably got it from some non-English language.
    However, it's going to come to English as Platinum regardless. Maybe other languages can get away with Platina, but you can't trick the English audience.

This is definitely something about the Platina fans being unable to envision the name Platinum for a girl, but you know? All the other names for all the other characters are equally mindscrewy, and they kept it like that, because they correspond to game versions, whether they were in them or not.

Okay, apparantly the word is taken from Spanish, not portugese, but same shit. It's not the English word "platinum". Jesus Christ you people are thick.
    Hey, sir, if you don't know Spanish, keep away from mentioning it. Our word for platinum is "platino." That dictionary is, therefore, very wrong if that's what "spa." stands in for.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

Quote Originally Posted by Kayi Rowling View Post
    However, it's going to come to English as Platinum regardless. Maybe other languages can get away with Platina, but you can't trick the English audience.
    "Trick"? Of course it's going to come to English-speaking countries as Platinum, because that's what they call the metal there.

This is definitely something about the Platina fans being unable to envision the name Platinum for a girl, but you know? All the other names for all the other characters are equally mindscrewy, and they kept it like that, because they correspond to game versions, whether they were in them or not.
    I never argued that. Of course they'll call her Platinum in English. But that doesn't mean it's what she was originally called.

Hey, sir, if you don't know Spanish, keep away from mentioning it. Our word for platinum is "platino." That dictionary is, therefore, very wrong if that's what "spa." stands in for.
    I see. Probably a mistake then, I guess it does come from Portugese as I originally suggested. Japanese does use a large number of Portugese loan words.

Nevertheless, it definitely doesn't come from English, which was the main point.
    So.

Blog Entries

Nevertheless, it definitely doesn't come from English, which was the main point.
    Doesn't need to. It never needed to be a loanword from English.

The point is that the word is the one used for the metal platinum, whether it's written platina, platino or whatever. That's the point, and it has always been, because that means that her name is Platinum in English.

That's all, really. Now drop the issue. Mods have been coming repeatedly to stop it, and really, we shouldn't bother them anymore. I said it before, too.

More fanfiction at:

Doesn't need to. It never needed to be a loanword from English.
    Aside from Shiny Noctowl's idiotic arguments that the character should be named "Platina" in the English translation of Special (which she of course shouldn't), this entire thing has been about an army of idiots insisting that "プラチナ is a loan word from English, they just spell it differently because *insert ridiculously nonsensical reasoning here*".

That's the only thing I've argued against, because it's so hilariously wrong.
    So.

Humaniod Typhoon Vash teh Stampede's Avatar

I think there shopuld be rule that japanese weaboo's cannot complain endlessly about tiny things, that way, arguments like this wouldn't happen.
    On I side note, Im getting it today. I also might get volumes 1 and 6, since I skipped both of em'.
    Black FC: 0519 3947 1196

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra! View Post
    On I side note, Im getting it today. I also might get volumes 1 and 6, since I skipped both of em'.
    Woah, I totally envy you! ...I wish I could buy some PokeSpe volumes, really, whether Viz or Chuang Yi, I don't care anymore.

More fanfiction at:

Woah, I totally envy you! ...I wish I could buy some PokeSpe volumes, really, whether Viz or Chuang Yi, I don't care anymore.
    Yeah. I staarted the series on volume 2, and I never could find volume 6.
    I tahnk viz for keeping the bugsy scene in, as I only got to play pokemon gold a year ago, and even though I was kinda old, I STILL thought bugsy was a girl. :P

Blog Entries

Have you tried to buy it from the internetz...? Just saying (it's very amusing to suggest something I can't do XD)

More fanfiction at:

Have you tried to buy it from the internetz...? Just saying (it's very amusing to suggest something I can't do XD)
    I would, but theres a borders right next to my house, so I just wait. Plus, Im going to a borders in another city, so they probably have all three of em' here.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Aside from Shiny Noctowl's idiotic arguments that the character should be named "Platina" in the English translation of Special (which she of course shouldn't), this entire thing has been about an army of idiots insisting that "プラチナ is a loan word from English, they just spell it differently because *insert ridiculously nonsensical reasoning here*".

That's the only thing I've argued against, because it's so hilariously wrong.
    I posted up the pictures to show that Lady Berlitz was named after the Japanese "Pokémon Platina Version" , which, when released here, was "Pokémon Platinum Version" , so Viz Media would name her Platinum. I never meant that her name in Japanese was Platinum.

As if "Pokémon Adventures: Platinum" didn't get that point across.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

I tahnk viz for keeping the bugsy scene in, as I only got to play pokemon gold a year ago, and even though I was kinda old, I STILL thought bugsy was a girl. :P
    am I the only person who always knew he was a dude?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pika View Post
    Nah, I always did know that bit of information. My brother, however, has been confused for ages.

More fanfiction at:

Quote Originally Posted by Pika View Post
    Apparently. Since I didnt play gold and silver as a child, I assume that everyone was shocked when they realized bugsy was boy.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast