Pokemon Adventures volume 8 review thread

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Adventures volume 8 review thread

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Pokemon Adventures volume 8 review thread

I hope I'm allowed to make this thread... I found a copy in a comic shop yesterday, so it seems it's starting to trickle out to the public.

Awesome volume, I'm really enjoying the GSC story so far!

There have been no major content changes that I'm aware of. All of Gold's Pokemon nicknames are "-bo" now: Aibo (Ataro), Exbo (Explotaro), Sunbo (Sintaro), Polibo (Poltaro). The round titles are different from Chuang Yi's and are in the style of VIZ's previous chapters (i.e. generally lame puns). No glaring errors as far as I could see in terms of spelling and what not, and I was mildly impressed they kept the Fisherman's cigarette XD

Humaniod Typhoon Vash teh Stampede's Avatar

Default Re: Pokemon Adventures volume 8 review thread

Bah, they always keep the cigarettes. They arent soccermoms, and they know kids wont think smoking is cool cuz they saw a fisherman smoking. Altough, I am kinda sad that they changed the nicknames for golds pokemon (explotaro was the most awesome name of all time)
    Last edited by Vash teh Stampede; 30th July 2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Black FC: 0519 3947 1196

Blog Entries

Sweet! Oh, by the way the Chuang Yi versions were pretty much lame puns too, except they were puns off songs or just made up in the style of Japanese title naming.("Light Up My Days, Chinchou!" and "The Mightiest HO-OH" being respective examples.) I don't get why they chose "-bo" for Gold's Pokemon but I really like it, and I'm glad they're keeping nicknames.
    "95% of the people who are able to read kana think that this automatically makes them know the entire Japanese language, as opposed to actually knowing little more than a first-year student of the language. If you are one of the 5% of that population who believes that being able to read kana is not impressive at all, copy and paste this into your sig."

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty Cactus View Post
    Aibo (Ataro), Exbo (Explotaro), Sunbo (Sintaro), Polibo (Poltaro).
    ...that's terrible.

So, did they use Youngster Joey's name, at least?
    So.

Blog Entries

Hey, at least Aibo sets up a pun with the Japanese word meaning "Partner." Anyway, I don't see what's to hate about the "-taro" nickname change, either you guys are too used to it or I'm openly accepting of new things. But the good thing is we all have three releases to choose from, two of which are in a language the majority of us are fluent in, so any complaints can be simply solved by buying which ever version you think is best ^_^. Personally I'm going with Viz, if they can keep things how they are in Vol. 8 for the rest of the release then I don't care about nicknames, lol.
    "95% of the people who are able to read kana think that this automatically makes them know the entire Japanese language, as opposed to actually knowing little more than a first-year student of the language. If you are one of the 5% of that population who believes that being able to read kana is not impressive at all, copy and paste this into your sig."

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra! View Post
    Bah, they always keep the cigarettes. They arent soccermoms, and they know kids wont think smoking is cool cuz they saw a fisherman smoking. Altough, I am kinda sad that they changed the nicknames for golds pokemon (explotaro was the most awesome name of all time)
    Yet they erased Shikamaru's cigarette in Naruto. Although, the Japanese anime did that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu Shoji View Post
    Yet they erased Shikamaru's cigarette in Naruto. Although, the Japanese anime did that too.
    This mainly has to do with the fact that they don't want younger, more main characters giving bad examples, just bad press you know?

but if its someone like a fisherman, then who cares? he has like two or three scenes and he is much older
    [/URL]

Humaniod Typhoon Vash teh Stampede's Avatar

Now thats kidna weird.
    Black FC: 0519 3947 1196

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra! View Post
    Now thats kidna weird.
    Well, even Japanese anime has upped its censorship quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeslob View Post
    This mainly has to do with the fact that they don't want younger, more main characters giving bad examples, just bad press you know?

but if its someone like a fisherman, then who cares? he has like two or three scenes and he is much older
    But...I might want to grow up and be like that fisherman! xD

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    So, did they use Youngster Joey's name, at least?
    Yeah, they did catch that, I was impressed.

For what it's worth, the Sages in Sprout Tower have names that match the game, too.

Oh, and if anyone's curious, these are the round titles (since I typed them up for Bulbapedia anyways):
    PS091: Murkrow Row
    PS092: Who Gives a Hoothoot?
    PS093: Sneasel Sneak Attack
    PS094: Elekid Incorporated
    PS095: Stantler By Me
    PS096: Number One Donphan
    PS097: Bellsprout Rout
    PS098: Totodile Rock
    PS099: Sunkern Treasure
    PS100: Into the Unown
    PS101: Teddiursa's Picnic
    PS102: Ursaring Major
    PS103: You Ain't Nothin' but a Houndour
    Last edited by Zesty Cactus; 30th July 2010 at 03:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Kinda irked me that they didn't attempt to translate the pun with the sages of the Sprout Tower. I mean the Chuang Yi version did a really great job at translating that pun, the Viz version just used the sages English names from the ganes and still kept the "Nanyanen" thing in.

Blog Entries

Chuang Yi's translations called Joey Grant...so much for it being "the better".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoKING View Post
    Kinda irked me that they didn't attempt to translate the pun with the sages of the Sprout Tower. I mean the Chuang Yi version did a really great job at translating that pun, the Viz version just used the sages English names from the ganes and still kept the "Nanyanen" thing in.
    Though I was told that the Sages' Japanese game names were used in the manga, and that those names just conveniently set up that pun. I guess VIZ decided they'd rather ignore the pun than ignore game consistency? :/

Blog Entries

Chuang Yi's translations called Joey Grant...so much for it being "the better".
    Right now Viz's translation looks to be the better one. There's no errors, Grant is "Joey," the translation is pretty much word for word from the original... The only thing that might tick off some is the "-bo" suffix for Gold's Pokemon. Although, reading the actual thing I can see why they did it, I think. The font Viz uses is pretty big and reading it myself it doesn't look like theu could have used "-tarou" as it would stretch out the speech bubble. Same for the page where Gold named Cyndaquil; the bubble was pretty small and couldn't really fit the name "Explotaro." Guess they were lazy.

The problem with Viz's translation is that while they make fewer errors than Chuang Yi, their errors are intentional. (changing monks to sages, changing Gold's Pokémon from -taro to -bo, etc.)

Pokémon White

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast