Alright, picked up Vol. 43, and I must say while it gave a more fulfilling end to HGSS, it introduced quite a lot of potential problems in the series with respect to the timeline and the issue of existence.
1) The Dialga
created here at the Mystri Stage are the same ones that appeared in the DPPt series. Pryce explained that Dialga
are already hostile towards Giratina
because they retained their 'memories' from the ancient past. This suggests that this trio were not exactly created from scratch, but more like they existed in the past during the creation of the world, vanished/disappeared/died-off somehow, and Arceus
is just bringing them back to life, 'resurrecting' them from their ancient selves as spoken in the myths.
2) Lance explained that Arceus
actually wasn't really forced by Archer to do anything. Rather, it followed its own will all along. When it descended from its realm, it carried the conflicting attitude of eliminating humans, yet keeping a small hope for humans as well. It created the DPPt trio to start destroying the world.
3) Pryce explained that the Sinjoh ruins do not really exist in the real world. Rather, it exists in an alternate dimension that links Sinnoh and Johto (which is why it appeared mapless on the Pokegear, I guess you can think of it like the Hall of Origin at the Spear
Pillar). When Pryce fell into the voids of time, due to Celebi
's will, he saw many things, including how legendaries were born, back during the time when Pokeballs do not exist. He also saw the future, saw how Celebi
voluntary joined a trainer to prevent destruction (aka Ruby and the RS series), and saw the eventual total destruction of both Johto and Sinnoh due to the DPPt trio wrecking havoc at the Sinjoh Ruins (it is said that since this place links up both regions, its destruction will lead to the complete destruction of these 2 regions too). That is the reason Celebi brought Pryce back, to stop the DPPt trio.
4) When Pryce was still in the voids of time, he called out for help and Lance happened to be the one who responded to him. Pryce told him all about the future and thus Lance sent his holograph message to Oak requesting help. Somehow, on the evening Pryce returned to the real world at the Ilex Forest, Giovanni was there, because he was seeking Celebi too to cure his illness (after having heard of the Pokeathlon tale about Celebi being the mythical Pokemon who could heal diseases). Giovanni was hostile towards Pryce at the beginning, actually attacking him so bad that he nearly killed him. But Lance appeared and convinced Giovanni to work with them to stop the crisis which would destroy the world first (which destruction will include Silver).
5) Ken, Al and Harry are back again, under the direct command of Giovanni. They own a Mime Jr. and Skorupi
(also the Hypno
from the yellow series), this let Kusaka showcased some attacks that were not featured yet. Let's just say all attacks were successfully featured at the end. And Leafeon
gets it cameo with Glaceon
with the kimono girls during one of the last panels.
6) As expected, Pryce takes on Dialga, Lance takes on Palkia and Giovanni takes on Giratina (with Silver's Ursaring
's freely mobile Hyper Beam became useful here because when Palkia warped its Hyper Beam away, it simply changed directions, came back and hit Palkia. Kinda clever if you ask me.
7) While everyone was fighting at the Sinjoh Ruins, Celebi is actually finding the herbs and meds to cure Giovanni with the help of Gold's Pichu
(don't ask me how, maybe through Oak?). Spikey-eared Pichu
appears as a wild Pokemon, became Pich's friend and the two work together. Ken, Al and Harry are protecting them, but then a group of TR Grunts working under the Four Generals thought that Ken and co. are disobeying the Generals, and thus attacked them. The two Pichus fried them with their electric attacks.
8) The evolution of Gold's Togepi
occurred like in the magazines, and Arceus is finally calmed. As its rage subsides, it sends Giratina into the Distortion World, and Dialga/Palkia back to the Spear Pillar. Celebi arrives in time to save Giovanni, and Giovanni (after revealing that although his aim was to find Silver, he couldn't deny some of his greed as TR's boss as well), decides to continue running Team Rocket. He offers to let Silver join, but Silver decides to continue to mission to disband Team Rocket with his own hands. Giovanni accepts this, and wants him to become stronger under Lance and Pryce, his two former teachers, and come back to challenge him some day.
9) Indeed, Lance was defeated by Petrel because he was temporarily fazed by him disguising as Yellow, the trainer who shared his hometown and his powers.
10) Cynthia is seen when Dialga and Palkia flew off to Sinnoh (her Garchomp
was still a Gabite
). She meets Palmer (who was a Frontier Brain in Johto at that time), and Palmer reveals that he has captured Regigigas
with the help of his old friend, Brandon's Regis. However, he realized that he doesn't have much use of it and thus decided to release it back at the Snowpoint Temple (explaining why it was already awake when Platinum was there).
11) It is revealed that Proteinman Omega was actually the creation of the Goldenrod Radio Director, basing his character on Red's Pokemon. Silver is somehow addicted to it.
12) It is hinted that Dia's Munchlax
may be hatched from the egg that was produced by Red and Emerald's Snorlaxes. Gold also mentioned that the Grampy and Granny from the Day Care will be moving to another region (guess that's how they ended up in Solaceon Town).
13) Finally, with all that said, HGSS happens before the DPPt series. There's no definite time indication, but it says that 'Time has passed and the stage has shifted', which indicated it may even be years. Long ago, when DP was first serialized in the magazines, it mentioned about Rowan returning to Sinnoh after 4 years of absence (alluding to his visit to Oak in Kanto/Johto for the Pokedexes). This was changed to 'some time' in the manga, but it seems that this 4 year time line between Emerald and DP may be true afterall. So Emerald -> 3 years -> HGSS -> 1 year -> DP? This puts Gold, Silver and Crys at 17, Red, Green, Blu at 20, Yellow at 18. And if the time lapse between BW and Platinum is a few years more, we do have adult Dex Holders by the time BW2 comes around. And for Saque, she's still on the run in that case (since Platinum is latest chapter that involves her, despite just a mention). And Mewtwo
spent 4 years chasing after her not knowing that the Dex Holders have been restored? Poor Mewtwo
Well, let's just digest what the writers just threw us in Vol. 43. The backcover is Palmer an Cresselia
as stated. And there were four chapters of BW here, up to the Hiker Andy chapter. The only difference I see is an extra scene at the end when N watched how Black and Hiker Andy worked together to stop the fire.