SPECIAL: Pokemon Adventures volume 14 review thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pokemon Adventures volume 14 review thread

Default Pokemon Adventures volume 14 review thread

I picked this one up early from one of the closing sales at Borders. Was surprised to find it, but sure enough...

It's extra thick, containing the last rounds of the chapter that were in volume 15. Round titles are kept simple: The Last Battle I - XIV interesting enough, they keep the end of the volume stuff from the original volume 14 inbetween rounds 179 and 180, with the stuff at the end of 180 placed at the end of the volume.

I only noticed one serious edit: Gold patting Green's ass had different dialogue to make it seem like an accident, but they didn't edit any of the artwork itself. It flows pretty well, much better than what they did with Crys's mom.

As for reviews, man a lot of stuff happens. Definitely the most action packed they've done so far, with battles happening all over the place and pretty much everyone ever showing up. It also contains my favorite scene ever, when Yellow takes off her hat.

Here's hoping we'll get the R/S arc sometime.
    Last edited by Aestivate; 9th March 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
    The Tr47 | The Website | The Art | The Journal
    Resident fan of Gary, Gligar and Ash's imaginary beard.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon Adventures volume 14 review thread

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I only noticed one serious edit: Gold patting Green's ass had different dialogue to make it seem like an accident, but they didn't edit any of the artwork itself. It flows pretty well, much better than what they did with Crys's mom.
    In other words, Viz kept Gold's booty call to Green but made it seem like an accident. Well, at least they can make sure that no kid will do what Gold did and make Gold not seem like a pervert. Though I fear that pissed parents might complain but if they hadn't before, they won't now, I hope.

Can't wait to get this volume! And I hope the RS chapter makes it here stateside eventually.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

It's extra thick, containing the last rounds of the chapter that were in volume 15.
    Yeah, the last round of GSC was one big chapter in volume 15.

Round titles are kept simple: The Last Battle I - XIV
    Yes! I must say I'm a bit surprised they finally kept the original chapter titles for once though.

interesting enough, they keep the end of the volume stuff from the original volume 14 inbetween rounds 179 and 180, with the stuff at the end of 180 placed at the end of the volume.
    Huh, I figured they would move everything to the back. It does make sense with the Adventure map though at the very least, since it doesn't include the final chapter in it.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Well, at least they can make sure that no kid will do what Gold did and make Gold not seem like a pervert.
    Would any kid really do what Gold did if they had kept in tact just because he did it? I dunno, I really doubt that to be honest. And to be honest I didn't think it made Gold seem that perverted...or that it was really that inappropriate for kids.

Here's hoping we'll get the R/S arc sometime.
    And I hope the RS chapter makes it here stateside eventually.
    Guys, don't forget the FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald arcs. Ruby/Sapphire isn't the only arc we might not get...

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    Guys, don't forget the FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald arcs. Ruby/Sapphire isn't the only arc we might not get...
    They're not forgotten, just that they kind of go together anyway, and we definitely need R/S before the other two.

And honestly, I really do believe that we will get those arcs. They're probably just waiting on a more opportune time, such as R/S remakes. I waited 7 and a half years for the GSC arc, I can wait as long as it takes for the others. I always have the Japanese volumes to tide me over.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

They're not forgotten, just that they kind of go together anyway, and we definitely need R/S before the other two.

And honestly, I really do believe that we will get those arcs. They're probably just waiting on a more opportune time, such as R/S remakes. I waited 7 and a half years for the GSC arc, I can wait as long as it takes for the others. I always have the Japanese volumes to tide me over.
    A question.

What are the nicknames of Green's Pokemon?

Like Snubbull or Jigglypuff...etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Homu Homu... View Post
    A question.

What are the nicknames of Green's Pokemon?

Like Snubbull or Jigglypuff...etc?
    Well she doesn't do that much battling with her own pokemon in this volume, it's mostly with the bird trio. But in the back the only nicknames they list for her are Jiggly for her Jigglypuff and Nido for her Nidorina. Neither were used in the text of the volume, and her Snubble, her only pokemon she battled with, had no nickname. Red uses her Blastoise, but he doesn't use a nickname for it either.

They may do it like Chuang Yi and start using nicknames in the FRLG arc, who knows.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

True.

And honestly, I really do believe that we will get those arcs. They're probably just waiting on a more opportune time, such as R/S remakes.
    I'm still not sure that we'll ever get those arcs, but I will definitely admit it's a possibility. To be honest I don't think we'll ever get all three of them though. While I could see them releasing Ruby/Sapphire if we end up getting remakes of them I don't really see them releasing FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald.

I waited 7 and a half years for the GSC arc, I can wait as long as it takes for the others. I always have the Japanese volumes to tide me over.
    Wow, you're patient. XD But that's very true, we always have the Japanese volumes (and Chuang Yi, for some people) to tie us over. :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    I'm still not sure that we'll ever get those arcs, but I will definitely admit it's a possibility. To be honest I don't think we'll ever get all three of them though. While I could see them releasing Ruby/Sapphire if we end up getting remakes of them I don't really see them releasing FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald.
    Why not? They release the RGB chapter along with the GSC chapter. If you ask me, they don't have to promote the current Pokemon games with the Manga but release it anyways. Pokemon fans who liked the Hoenn games and the Kanto remakes will most likely buy and read them.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Why not?
    Because Viz seems to only be releasing arcs relating to current games.

They release the RGB chapter along with the GSC chapter.
    That's true, but they had to start somewhere (and what better place than the beginning? :P) and Gold/Silver/Crystal has ties to Red/Blue/Green and Yellow so they really had no choice but to release it. (if they wanted to release GSC, that is)

If you ask me, they don't have to promote the current Pokemon games with the Manga but release it anyways. Pokemon fans who liked the Hoenn games and the Kanto remakes will most likely buy and read them.
    Oh I completely agree, but apparently Viz doesn't see it that way.
    Last edited by 1dbad; 31st July 2011 at 11:28 PM.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Got my volume today....dayum this thing is huge (Also, it's the first Viz Kid's Adventures volume to feature a human character on the spine).

Overall, I really enjoyed this volume. Although I will admit, for a final battle, I just couldn't get the sense of drama out of Mask of Ice that I did from Cerise Island; which was kind of disappointing considering how awesome the Mask of Ice was until now; I honestly felt much more from the Magnet Train scenes. I kinda agreed with the main characters in thinking that the reasoning for Pryce's plan was...stupid (although you can understand his motivation); it's a shame that with this revelation, we didn't get to see Pryce being dragged out, and continue living changed - from the dialogue in this volume, I'd guess that anyone trapped in the crack of time will die. I also felt that Will and Karen should have been introduced earlier; their appearance seemed really forced, like Kusaka realised "Oh crap, I haven't used these two yet! Where will they fit?".

Knowing that the ass-pat was edited; one thing irks me - When Gold "found out his mistake", the expression on his face was more in line with the original - that is was deliberate. Also, I was kind of expecting Crys to get all pouty, similar to Yellow when Misty phoned Red xD

And was I the only one who, until the very end of the volume, thought that Misty had actually died against Mask of Ice when he broke out of Suicune's barrier? Due to the way it was executed, I was kind of disappointed to see her alive xD.

One thing that me sad, was all the Ruby & Sapphire stuff at the end...when we won't get the R/S arc T_T

100% Tsundere BMGF Anime Master's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I read this yesterday and have a few of my own things to add

1.Misty's near death

what can one say about it other than ? didn't expect or see that coming

2.See above for it though it was a little funny to learn after it happens that Green would be Silver's sister

3.M,R,Y Love triangle

it was a rather nice end for it though Green somewhat ruined it by shouting right at the best moment though Misty's off panel reaction (EEP!) made it a little funnier

It was a rather nice end to G.S.C Manga arc though why reveal the R.S one when it has no reveal or hint of it in vol 16?

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Pokémon Adventures Volume 14 has reached number 10 in the New York Times bestselling manga list from 31st July to 6th August.

Source.

Blog Entries

I've just read the last volume completely and I loved how everything was wrapped up. I really like how the ending is just like the introduction to the games. If Pokemon really ended at Johto, this would've been a good ending to a great Manga series. Not that I wanted it to end...

My only problem is that I wish Pryce was fleshed out more so we could understand his pain and motives more clearly. I kinda wish Kusaka wrote a prequel arc explaining Pryce's loss and descent into corruption and evil and that there was an evil force corrupting his mind. But other than that, it really wrapped things up with the heroes of Kanto and Johto for now.

One of the things that amazes me about the GSC chapter is how Kusaka planned out so much in advance to give us great story twists and developments. Even more so than the RGB chapter and the Yellow chapter. Yes, it's nothing new for Manga or Anime but considering how this is Pokemon and the majority of us started with the Anime and the Games, seeing something Pokemon related with substance in the story has been very refreshing for me since I first started reading. It amazes me how Hidenori Kusaka has crafted his work since Round 1-Glimpse of the Glow and actual put effort into his series unlike the Anime and its staff of slackers at Shopro.

So, to make a long story short:

Thank you, Hidenori Kusaka for giving us one of the greatest series to ever grace the Pokemon Franchise.

Thank you, Mato and Satoshi Yamamoto for illustrating our favorite stories, characters and Pokemon and bringing them to life.

Thank you, Viz Media for translating and distributing this series to everyone in the United States of America (despite some screw-ups here and there).

Until Viz get off their lazy butts and the RS, FRLG and E chapters are translated, I thank you three and more for giving us the many adventures of Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal and everyone in the wonderful world of Pokemon Special/Adventures. It's been a great ride and I'll be sure to check out the adventures of Dia, Pearl and Lady Berlitz in the DP chapter (despite certain spoilers) and the adventures of Black and White in the BW chapter.

See ya!

P.S. I believe that the Lapras song was heard in the very first chapter of the GSC chapter when Gold is listening to DJ Mary. EPIC FORESHADOWING!

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

...dear lord Viz why in the world would you keep the "evil tusks" part? You are aware that it makes no sense whatsoever and is pure, uncut Engrish at its best, right? Couldn't you have changed it into something that actually made sense? Part of translation is making things WORK, and that just doesn't work.
    Eitarou likes this.

Registered User The Violent Tomboy's Avatar

Hm, Green's sister was called Daisy in this volume. Go game accuracy, though Viz, please look up things ahead of time and try to stay consistent. Red's Snorlax was called "Lax" at the end of the volume when it was called "Snor" before, and half of Green's Pokemon aren't nicknamed.

Yes, nitpicky, but I feel like I shouldn't have to nitpick over these things to begin with.

All in all though, I love this volume and how the story and arc were wrapped up so nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast