Pokemon Adventures Volume 10 Review Thread.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Adventures Volume 10 Review Thread.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Default Pokemon Adventures Volume 10 Review Thread.

I sadly don't have the volume yet, but plan to get it as soon as I can. :C But, it is out in bookstores now, and a friend got it and updated me about everything so thought I'd share. No word on any censorship though, but I asked my friend and will get the volume soon myself so guess we'll soon see. ;3 Anyways.

-Crystal's nickname. It was Chris in CY version, but it can also be Crys or Kris (as in the games). Viz went with Crys. (yes!)
    -Viz decided to follow Chuang Yi's naming pattern for Crys' Pokemon by using the 'ee' ending for almost all of them, 'cept Viz went a step further and made sure they all had 'ee' names. (Megaree was just called Mega in Chuang Yi) Archy (I think its supposed to be pronounced as Arkee but idk), Monlee (I'm not too fond of this name because it sounds like a Hitmonlee...), Natee, Parasee, Bonee, Chumee, and Megaree. Oh, and for those curious, in the Japanese version her nicknames ended with 'pyon', a Japanese onomonopia for jumping. Obviously we don't have an equal thing in English that'd work for nicknames, so Viz and Chuang Yi both decided to follow another aspect -- in the Japanese version Crys' mom uses 'pyon' after all of her sentences, out of cuteness, so it can also be used to sound cute. And since 'y' was taken with Yellow, Viz and Chuang Yi both went for 'ee', which is also cute. :P
    -Oak's Ledyba and Stantler - they were nicknamed in Japanese version (CY left them unnamed). And, Viz decided to follow the Japanese, and gave them nicknames. Oak's Ladyba and Stantler are now named Bach and Antch.
    -Ron (CY)/Ryuu (JP) - Clair's disciple (he's an easy-to-miss cameo but his name was mentioned). Claire's disciple's kept his Japanese name of Ryu.
    -Wayne (CY)/Hydate (JP) - Chuck's old friend (almost-confirmed former Violet Gym Leader and Falkner's father). Chuck's friend is now named Walker in the Viz version. Maybe to sound more like Falkner? ;P
    -Unnamed village and girl with a Girafarig (they were both unnamed in Japanese and CY) The village and the girl still have no names in the Viz version, but the Girafarig now has a nickname in the Viz version -- Gira.
    -The Team Rocket Trio kept their names in the Viz version, they are still known as Al, Ken, and Harry. *yes!*
    And, a chapter title list with all the new chapter names.
    1. Slugging it out with Slugma
    2. Three cheers for Chikorita
    3. A Flaffy Kerfuffle
    4. Surrounded by Staryu
    5. Off Course with Corsola
    6. Querulous Qwilfish
    7. Debonair Dragonair
    8. Scrappy Skarmory
    9. Misdreavus Misgivings
    10. Jumping Jumpfluff
    11. Miltank Melee
    12.Indubitably Ditto
    13. Great Girafarig.

There you guys go! Happy? ;D

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon Adventures Volume 10 Review Thread.

Awesome. I've been on the lookout for this volume, but haven't been able to find it yet. i guess i might actually have to wait until its proper release date :O

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

So anyone know what the titles are referencing?

They seem kinda random

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I was going to make this thread but thought "I don't own the volume". Mine's on order anyway.

"Slugging it out with Slugma" seems like a pun on "Slugging it". Coulda went with "Slugma-ing it out!" though. A lot of them just seem more like alliteration based rather than pun based.

It was obvious they'd go with Crys because of Crystal.

Next time should be fun - Volume 11 and Platinum V.1

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Eitaro View Post
    So anyone know what the titles are referencing?

They seem kinda random
    I believe they are no longer using puns as much as they are using adjectives that start with the same letter as the Pokemon species name. A bit unexpected but in some ways I prefer it to puns...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu Shoji View Post
    It was obvious they'd go with Crys because of Crystal.

Next time should be fun - Volume 11 and Platinum V.1
    I suppose so. I thought it was a pretty good chance but as I said above, on the games both Crys or Kris are correct. And for some reason fandom prefers to use Kris.

Actually Platinum V.1's release date got changed. I already posted about it before but I guess you haven't seen it, or checked Bulbapedia/Amazon's new release dates lately. For next year it looks like this:
    February 2011 - Volume 11
    March 2011 - Platinum V.1
    April 2011 - Volume 12
    June 2011 - Volume 13 & Platinum V.2
    August 2011 - Volume 14
    September 2011 - Platinum V.3
    October 2011 - Volume 15
    December 2011 - Volume 16 & Platinum V.4

OSHAWHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    I suppose so. I thought it was a pretty good chance but as I said above, on the games both Crys or Kris are correct. And for some reason fandom prefers to use Kris.
    "Kris" is what the Crystal girl is named aa on the back of the English game boxes.

Although I prefer "Crys" too. It's directly from "Crystal", and her name is "Crys" on her character bio on Netkun anyway.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Blog Entries
    Follow GoldeenTail On Twitter Add GoldeenTail on MySpace
    Follow GoldeenTail on Tumblr

Wait, Viz released volume 10 already? This month? I didn't see it at Borders in November, they only had up to volume 9.

WOW TRANSFORMERS IS A DUMB SERIES LOL. GT GROW THE FUCK UP.
    Tumblr / My eggs /My blog / deviantart

OSHAWHAT?

This month, yeah.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Blog Entries

The normal volumes are released every even-numbered month.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    "Kris" is what the Crystal girl is named aa on the back of the English game boxes.

Although I prefer "Crys" too. It's directly from "Crystal", and her name is "Crys" on her character bio on Netkun anyway.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for that. That makes sense actually, because come to think of it I saw the back of the English game box on Google Image Search a while back. (never knew beforehand since I didn't have Crystal)

Yeah, "Crys" just makes more sense since the game (and her character name too) is Crystal and the spelling is more like Crystal. And good point about it being her nickname on the character bio on Netkun too. Being the official site that says it's definitely correct and how the writers wanted it to be too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldeenTail View Post
    Wait, Viz released volume 10 already? This month? I didn't see it at Borders in November, they only had up to volume 9.
    That's because it didn't come out 'til December. =P The exact release date was December 7th but some places got it earlier. (usually big chain bookstores) But yep, as of now it's out everywhere. I plan to go out and pick up my copy later today. ^^

Blog Entries

I got my volume today and found an error. On page 65, Crystal calla Quick Balls "Speed Balls".
    Page 153..."Shock Attack"?
    Grammar...page 107 "I shall make you mine own!"

Also, I'm really liking Crystal.

So...March for Pt 1? Beats a 2 month wait, now it's 1 month for a new volume of Adventures at the start. Rather irregular schedule though...
    Last edited by Joshawott; 10th December 2010 at 05:19 PM.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Speed Ball? How funny

She did that in the Chuang Yi Version too

This is the same scene right?

Blog Entries

Yeah, the exact same scene.

追放されたバカ
    Keepin' mah prized red Duskull caged up?! Ya bet your ass.
    Blog Entries

So finally Crystal and her Pokemon get Viz-names (even though I knew about that for almost a week now). Cool.

Now, if only we could get the other 19 volumes preceding "Pokemon Adventures Platinum" released fast.

Still kinda is stupid that they're making errors on ball names that anyone who plays GSC and HGSS would know in their sleep, though. At least they didn't make that disasterous typo CY did, haha.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Woohoo! Good news guys, not a bit of censorship this volume. Claire's tight outfit was kept in tact, Eusine's Suicune-speedo-like underwear was too, and I don't believe any dialogue got watered down as far as I can remember. Lets hope they keep this up. The even better news though is I noticed in volume 10 there was a new editor (editors are in charge of censorship), so this new editor just might let us keep everything in it after all, granted she stays. Let's hope she will and she'll let us keep it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu Shoji View Post
    I got my volume today and found an error. On page 65, Crystal calla Quick Balls "Speed Balls".
    Page 153..."Shock Attack"?
    Grammar...page 107 "I shall make you mine own!"

Also, I'm really liking Crystal.

So...March for Pt 1? Beats a 2 month wait, now it's 1 month for a new volume of Adventures at the start. Rather irregular schedule though...
    I got my volume the day before yesterday. :p I really enjoyed it, really good volume.

And funny! I noticed the error with "I shall make you mine own!" but I haven't finished reading through the volume yet so I didn't know about the "Shock Attack" error yet. I saw the "Speed Balls" thing too and remembered it, but for some reason I forgot that that was the incorrect term for them. ^^; (and actually it's Fast Ball, Quick Balls are something from Gen 4 starting from DP-onward :p) I also noticed one you didn't point out -- in one panel, Megaree is called Mega (ironically its Chuang Yi nickname xD) instead of Megaree. Found that a funny mistake. (it looked kind of intentional too, like they couldn't fit Megaree in the bubble and didn't even bother) But okay, I've updated Bulbapedia with all the errors now.~ (or at least all the ones you and I noticed)

And yeah, March. It sure does! =D Although had it came out in February we would have gotten it with volume 11...ah well. And not really, with this new pattern that means we'll be getting four DP volumes a year, just like Japan. So that, combined with the 6 volumes every other month catching us up on the other volumes, means we'll now be getting 10 new volumes a year starting next year, meaning we'll catch up in no time. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Eitaro View Post
    Speed Ball? How funny

She did that in the Chuang Yi Version too
    Oh that's right! Haha, how hilarious. Guess VizKids isn't too different at times from Chuang Yi after all, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshi View Post
    So finally Crystal and her Pokemon get Viz-names (even though I knew about that for almost a week now). Cool.

Now, if only we could get the other 19 volumes preceding "Pokemon Adventures Platinum" released fast.

Still kinda is stupid that they're making errors on ball names that anyone who plays GSC and HGSS would know in their sleep, though. At least they didn't make that disasterous typo CY did, haha.
    Yeah. Although, four of them are the exact same as their Chuang Yi counterpart. Another is a shorter version with an l (Monlee), one is an alternate spelling (Arkee to Archy), and one is the exact same as the CY one just with a "ree" at the end to make it fit the pattern. :p So in other words, we basically got the exact same nicknames for the most part, with a few having very minor differences. We waited all that time for new nicknames for nothing. xD

Yep. Well volumes 11, 12, 13 and 14 are already announced for next year, and we should also get volumes 15 and 16 by the end of 2011 too. Which means we will be getting six of the "prior-to-DP" volumes a year....so by 2014 we'll be caught up to volume 29. =P (unless Viz decides to speed up the process even more at some point) Nice. Ah well, at least it's quicker than what it was and we have other ways to be tied over 'til they one day get caught up. ^^

Actually, it's not per say stupid. We don't know the age of the translator so he could have possibly never played the games, and it's an understandable mistake on both Chuang Yi and Viz. Why? Because Speed Balls are what they are called in Japanese, and the translators job is to translate. Both just forgot to localize them as Fast Balls, what they are supposed to be called. (on GSC and I believe on HGSS too.) It's funny how many translation and spelling mistakes both Viz and Chuang Yi could avoid if they would just check Bulbapedia. :p They could just put in the Japanese terms for everything that they got in their translation and find the localized English ones. Apparently Viz doesn't do as much research as people claim, har har.
    Last edited by 1dbad; 11th December 2010 at 09:38 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast