"Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure!" Volume 5 Review Thread

Thread: "Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure!" Volume 5 Review Thread

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default "Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure!" Volume 5 Review Thread

Spear Pillar! Master Ball! The HQ is exploding! But first, Hareta has to get past Mitsumi!

On sale on the 6th! Go get it!

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure!" Volume 5 Review Thread

awusome only two days left

YouTube (Minecraft Season 2 (1.0) up) | GPX+ | First Fic | Twitter | My site |
    Avatar made by Aori | click the banner to go to my Forum | white friend code - 4427 4825 2666

Blog Entries

I saw it at the store today. Didn't get it yet because I promised someone I'd get it with her, but I flipped through it and holy cow. The scene where Cyrus reveals his motives, and Hareta's reaction...Oh wow. It's incredible. It's like...you can just feel something awaken in Cyrus when Hareta talks to him.

The inside back cover, though, they really kinda ruined the joke.

Blog Entries

Follow Juuchan17 on Tumblr Visit Juuchan17's Youtube Channel

Cool Re: "Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure!" Volume 5 Review Thread

*just bought it over two hours ago . . . and finished reading it a few minutes ago*

. . . WOW. It was good. There were some mistakes that I caught (mainly a reading mistake (left-to-right instead of right-to-left), a spelling mistake (with a main character's name . . . one vowel off, you gais), and a <b>MAJOR MISTAKE</b> (. . . um, wrong Pokemon manga series much?). That's all I caught so far . . .), but the story was rather . . . dramatic. I couldn't keep my eyes off the pages.

I'm not spoiling anything yet, but I will say that the preview would be hard to understand
    , but still, I didn't see anything else wrong with the volume so far.

More to come later!

Completely Insane Fangirl Since Day ONE LiveJournal - DeviantArt - YouTube

Blog Entries

I heard about the spelling mistake, but it's more forgivable given that it's Hareta we're talking about here, and he's forgotten people's names in the past ("old man Surface" anyone?)

Blog Entries

Follow Juuchan17 on Tumblr Visit Juuchan17's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    I heard about the spelling mistake, but it's more forgivable given that it's Hareta we're talking about here, and he's forgotten people's names in the past ("old man Surface" anyone?)
    True . . . but it was with
    which was a bit of a Meh . . . *looking up again* but not as much as
    . . .

If THAT last one doesn't deserve a WTF, I don't know what does.

Completely Insane Fangirl Since Day ONE LiveJournal - DeviantArt - YouTube

Blog Entries

My notes, as posted on tgcomm:

-For being the strongest trainer in Sinnoh, Cynthia really didn't do much, did she?
    -All the talk about "the pokemon God" and "the other pokemon God" and they didn't notice that all four Regis and the three Fairies were RIGHT THERE? I mean sure they might be lesser gods, but the Fairies at least are gods of some sort.
    -So Cyrus. Didn't bring any pokemon with you to the Spear Pillar? Because when everyone's attacking Dialga, you were ordering action but you didn't seem to be *doing* anything. Where'd you leave Gyarados and Weavile?
    -Spear Pillar's just sittin' out there on top of the rubble heap that is Mount Coronet, huh? And apparently it's an easy enough hike that a normal ten-year-old (Jun) can make the climb in, what, under an hour?
    -Speaking of "an hour", how long do you wager the Galactics were waiting up there for Hareta to show up? Some of those few hours had to be travel, but given that they were in a helicopter, they had to have been standing around for a while. Figure any of them thought to ask Bossman exactly what was up with waiting?
    -Aaah, Ass Grunt. What purpose did you serve there? Were you the pilot, is that it? But out of ALL the grunts, you've displayed particular ineptitude to the point where Jupiter called you an idiot. So I find it hard to believe that you'd be invited there. Did you just look up, see the helicopter, and decide "Hey, time to get in good with the higher-ups! Come on, Wurmple!"?
    -Seriously translators? "The Buttman of Team Rocket"? DO YOU SEE ANY ROCKETS HERE?
    -Seriously Ihara? The Red Chain? That's not a chain. That's a string of cranberries.
    -While I'm talking to you, Ihara, the "that's not Earthquake" joke was funny when it was Hareta jumping on the bridge. When you do it multiple times in a single volume, including once where it's a GIANT WAVE in a comparatively small room that Mitsumi really should have NOTICED, it's not funny any more.
    -Ohh Jupiter. Some nice insights into your character here. Your simultaneous reluctance and eagerness to get rid of Mitsumi (I have a feeling it wasn't so much that you didn't want to get rid of her, just the way it was playing out was seriously freaking you out, and as well it should), your compassion for Cyrus once he had that breakdown...it was some interesting glimpses into you.
    -Mars, you had just said that Cyrus intended to destroy the world to create a new one. And then you have a panic attack when he says it again? I can grasp that you didn't think you would die, but that doesn't seem to matter to you. You seem far more concerned that he's actually going to do exactly what you said he was going to do.
    -Saturn, you had almost the opposite reaction. You were stunned, and then you just kinda stood there. If you're in shock you still usually have some reaction. Especially given that you have an even greater case of hero worship than the other two do.
    -And hmm. I wonder what the reason was that Jupiter and Ass Grunt weren't present to hear Cyrus say that.
    -Anyone else get the impression that Cyrus was once Rowan's student? Given that scene at the lake in volume 4, the whole part with Rowan telling Cyrus that he'd lost because he abandoned his heart, and that Mitsumi's mission had been to destroy Rowan's lab...there's some past going on with these two.

And oh man. Cyrus's characterization in this was...mind-blowing. So vitally disturbed, and so very wrong inside, and yet you feel sorry for the poor bastard. He goes through all that effort of forcing Mitsumi to return, screwing her up to the point where she'd rather die than remember everything she did when she was with them, in order to force Hareta to hate him so that he can gloat that hatred exists in everything...when he's already going to destroy everything anyway. That's got to be the most severe conscience clearing I've ever seen.
    And when he says that emotions only cause pain, we know it's personal. He's not talking about the world at that point. We've seen not only the pain he's caused others, but the pain he's felt throughout the series both trying to find a pure heart and simultaneously denying that such a thing could possibly exist.
    And what occured to me this morning was that DPA Cyrus represents something far stronger than other versions. Unlike gameverse, where he has intelligence and willpower and denies emotion, in here he possesses all three, but they all fail him constantly. His emotions fail him when he flies into rages or when he breaks down, his intelligence fails him when he can mistake very simple actions for something else entirely (again the scene on the bridge) or when he comments that the glass is unbreakable yet flinches when Hareta shoves himself against it, and his willpower fails when he sees a glimpse of what it is he's trying to accomplish and has to remind himself of his own blind goals and force himself to keep working.
    It's really rather interesting, and quite worth pondering, I think.

Shamelessly copied from SPPf, with a few extra thoughts added in:

-Holy hell, there is some intense battling in this volume. Hareta gets the living daylights shocked out of him(among many other things), and of course there's the whole "fight against the gods of time and space" thing.
    -Oh, so Mitsumi conveniently gave Piplup an everstone without anyone knowing about it when Hareta started his journey, and she conveniently removed it without anyone noticing so it could, somehow, evolve directly to Empoleon right before the climactic battle against Dialga? How convenient.
    -Cyrus continues to be amazing. And I'm not just saying that because I love it whenever he gets weirded out by Hareta(although I really do love it when that happens). He has some absolutely insane facial expressions in this volume, particularly around the part where he's telling Hareta about his plans to become a god. Oh, and the part where he says he's going to destroy EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD THAT ISN'T HIM. Along with the appropriate "...WHAT?!" reactions from the TG Commanders. And the part near the end where he's all resigned to the fact that the world will be destroyed without his facist paradise being made to replace it.
    -The whole Dialga part was awesome. The resolution was cheesy("The pixies were called here because of Hareta's desire to free Dialga's heart!" "Cyrus wanted to bury the heart, but Hareta wanted to set it FREE!") but expected. But then...
    -Palkia? Where the hell did you come from? Oh right, Ihara just barely remembered that you existed and threw you in at the last minute, with the only buildup being a couple of lines from Rowan two chapters earlier. Deus Ex Nihil aside, the Palkia/Dialga crisis did at least provide several intense chapters of entertainment...and of awesome artwork. I loved the artwork in this volume a lot, really. (although I like the art style in DPA in general) Oh, and of course the Master Ball plan didn't work. That wouldn't have been climactic enough!
    -The ending of the volume was corny as all hell(EVERYONE'S HEARTS ARE CONNECTED. Even the hearts of the spacetime gods that are eternal rivals and only stop fighting when each one is in its own dimension.), but this is DPA so I'll accept that.
    -I almost did a spittake when I got to the back cover and saw Cyrus "arr"ing at me that I was reading in the wrong direction.
    -Lots of typos and other mistakes in this volume. In particular, LOL Butt Joke grunt is not from Team Rocket, Hareta saying that Dusknoir "let him have it" when it was Electivire that just beat the crap out of him(unless I completely misinterpreted what he was talking about), the Metsumi mistake(which I actually missed)...hello, people? You have editors! Use them to make sure you don't make mistakes like this!
    -Did I mention that I adored the artwork in this volume? Because I really do. Especially the little things, like the subtle differences in Dialga while it's controlled by the chain and after it's set free. Speaking of the chain, it was an...interesting...choice to make it a string of rocks instead of a CHAIN. We don't really see too much of it other than as a circle of dots around Dialga(although I'm pretty sure Ihara forgot to draw them in a few times near the end of chapter three. Tsk tsk!), so I guess it's no big deal, but I have to wonder why Ihara decided to draw it that way.

--- Last.fm---

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    -Oh, so Mitsumi conveniently gave Piplup an everstone without anyone knowing about it when Hareta started his journey, and she conveniently removed it without anyone noticing so it could, somehow, evolve directly to Empoleon right before the climactic battle against Dialga? How convenient.
    At least it solves where Dawn's Piplup keeps its everstone.

-I almost did a spittake when I got to the back cover and saw Cyrus "arr"ing at me that I was reading in the wrong direction.
    It's funnier in Japanese. He's actually SAYING stuff (the translation I heard was "YOU FOOL who removes the jacket from this book!" and Hareta is going "...")(yeah, the "reading the wrong way" stuff is "don't take the dust jacket off" originally. Pretty clever use, I think). I don't know why they changed it unless it was to be in line with the other volumes, which had just pokemon noises.

Just got around to buying it today, and this is the best volume so far. I happened across the back page before I started reading, and I couldn't stop laughing, it was awesome. The artwork is amazing, but what I love the best is the interactions between Hareta and Cyrus. Hareta is so much his polar opposite that it really brings out a lot of Cyrus. The scenes that stick out are when
    It really makes Hareta a heart-warming character too, I can't help but adore him.

I also love Bubble-Butt Grunt, as useless as he is.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
    The Tr47 | The Website | The Art | The Journal
    Resident fan of Gary, Gligar and Ash's imaginary beard.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Overall I enjoyed the volume story-wise but I was quite disappointed with the Team Rocket error. Like, seriously, how the heck did they get "Team Rocket" out of "Ginga-dan"?!

Quote Originally Posted by Juuchan17 View Post
    I'm not spoiling anything yet, but I will say that the preview would be hard to understand
    , but still, I didn't see anything else wrong with the volume so far.
    Yeah, I found that pretty confusing. I was like, "um?! Did I forget about a character?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    It's funnier in Japanese. He's actually SAYING stuff (the translation I heard was "YOU FOOL who removes the jacket from this book!" and Hareta is going "...")(yeah, the "reading the wrong way" stuff is "don't take the dust jacket off" originally. Pretty clever use, I think). I don't know why they changed it unless it was to be in line with the other volumes, which had just pokemon noises.
    Haha aww, that would have been funnier. I'm sure they could have figured out a way to retain the "style" of the first four books' thingy while retaining more of the original sentiment... but, w/e.