Pokémon Adventures volume 39 review thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pokémon Adventures volume 39 review thread

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Pokémon Adventures volume 39 review thread

It's out! I doubt anyone has read it, but I just need an excuse to post these pictures! All images (minus the cover) are from karubiimunomono.

So, in conclusion.

Daisy is back and is apparently friends with Bebe (who is just adorable).
    Caitlin has psychic powers (I knew they closed this early so they could have this shown in volumes)
    Paka and Uji are, in fact, in the Distortion World with an angry statue-hating Giratina.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Pokémon Adventures volume 39 review thread

I do have to say, Caitlin looks awesome xD

Blog Entries
    Follow Sapphire Cherry On Twitter Add Sapphire Cherry on Facebook Add Sapphire Cherry on Google+ Add Sapphire Cherry on MySpace
    Add Sapphire Cherry on Linkedin Follow Sapphire Cherry on Tumblr Follow Sapphire Cherry on Flickr

That cover is so cute! I'll have to wait until the english version comes out though.

EDIT: Caitlin looks really creepy in that 3rd picture

Don't be normal, be like Lady Gaga!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Woo, glad to see Bebe got some more screen time (I thought she was only going to get only a cameo from the last volume with Hayley.) Also, crazy Caitlin looks like something that would come out of Higurashi or the troll faces in Umineko

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

If there's ever a moment where I questioned the sanity of the creators of this series...it's right now.

Well, Dia and Pearl are out looking for legendary Pokemon (and Rotom) but they have guests! Dr. Footstep and the Sinnoh Pokemon Association Chairman (you know, the guy with the really curly hair, had an afro in Hoenn, this time he has ice-cream hair, it's like the Adventures version of Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, and Don George).

Dr. Footstep is joining because Regigigas refuses to come out of its Poke Ball (I guess it's miffed because it didn't do that much in the battle against Dialga and Palkia) and Dia thought he'd be able to read its footprints to check its mood (although how he'll do that when Regigigas refuses to come out of the Poke Ball is beyond me).

The back cover has Darach, Caitlin, and Dahlia.

The Sinnoh Elite four appear and were the ones who gave Dia and Pearl (and guests) their mission.

Roark, Gardenia, Maylene, Wake, Fantina, and Candice are still out cold (dear god, it's been weeks! Wake up! What kind of Gym Leaders are you!?)

Platinum does meet Palmer but the scene where they leave for the Distortion World does NOT appear.

Next volume will involve a battle between the Sinnoh Legendaries (and Rotom? Probably not)

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Hm, seems this volume so far is being a bit rushed? Many events seem to be occurring within the same time frame, making it a bit oddly handled. It's good to see we finally get to see the Sinnoh Elite Four. The Gym Leaders will probably be awoken if such an event with the legendaries does occur.

Blog Entries

Well, all I know is that I'm excited for the next volume.

1. Because it's all original. The entire volume will have new content in it.

2. Because it promises a huge all out brawl between the legendary Pokemon! And Rotom and Phione..

Oh, and some pics. Courtesy of Serebii.net.

And some from Coronis.

Kayi-chan likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Wait, so the chairman was the statues this whole time? I'm pretty shocked it was found out this chapter.

Blog Entries

So the Platinum chapter is guaranteed to have at least eight more rounds, giving it a total of 22 rounds at the minimum. HGSS only had 10 magazine chapters, and yet we actually got to see its ending. I expect the volume release to be revised, but I certainly don't see how they can double the number of rounds without completely rewriting the story.

I don't understand why Kusaka had such little regard for a new Johto-centric story, especially one involving Arceus and a glimpse of another region (the Sinjoh Ruins).
    Last edited by Silktree; 31st July 2011 at 12:58 PM.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    I don't understand why Kusaka had such little regard for a new Johto-centric story, especially one involving Arceus and a glimpse of another region (the Sinjoh Ruins).
    Made to rush it to begin work on the BW chapter, and only doing it out of tradition?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

That's quite possible, as he was work on both Platinum and HGSS around the same time, if I remember correctly. If Platinum becomes the shortest arc, I'd think it would have some link with HGSS due to Arceus. Both regions are involved with the myths surrounding it.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by BoredPikachu! View Post
    Woo, glad to see Bebe got some more screen time (I thought she was only going to get only a cameo from the last volume with Hayley.)
    Really? While I knew that was a possibility I figured at least one of them (and figured it would be Bebe) would get more focus in Platinum.

Hm, seems this volume so far is being a bit rushed? Many events seem to be occurring within the same time frame, making it a bit oddly handled. It's good to see we finally get to see the Sinnoh Elite Four. The Gym Leaders will probably be awoken if such an event with the legendaries does occur.
    Really? I don't think it seems that rushed. The only thing that seems rushed about Platinum to me is the Frontier battles, but that's because they aren't supposed to be the main focus of the arc anyway.

Wait, so the chairman was the statues this whole time? I'm pretty shocked it was found out this chapter.
    I was surprised by that as well. xD Although it makes perfect sense. And yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be found out this chapter either.

So the Platinum chapter is guaranteed to have at least eight more rounds, giving it a total of 22 rounds at the minimum.
    8? I thought volumes usually had 9-10 chapters each. And actually we'll probably get a bit more than that, since the arc most likely won't end next volume.

HGSS only had 10 magazine chapters, and yet we actually got to see its ending.
    That's because it got rushed, and they probably skipped a few chapters so they could get to the ending quicker. (it needed an ending magazine-wise so the magazines could solely focus on BW)

I expect the volume release to be revised, but I certainly don't see how they can double the number of rounds without completely rewriting the story.
    Aside from changes, I'm pretty sure some of the magazine chapters will get split into more than chapter and I think we'll get some new chapters as well.

Actually he doesn't. Kusaka was very excited for the games and he said he absolutely loved them upon playing them, so I'm sure he felt just as excited about doing another Johto-centric arc. (in fact, I think he may have even said that, but I'm not 100% sure.) What it was the magazines just forced him to go through it quickly magazine-wise so he could start BW and so they wouldn't have to publish anymore HGSS chapters.

That's quite possible, as he was work on both Platinum and HGSS around the same time, if I remember correctly.
    Actually he worked on the end of Diamond/Pearl and start of Platinum at the same time, until the magazines Platinum ran in got canceled and they stopped releasing DP via magzine. He did start working on magazine HGSS the very next month after the last DP and Platinum magazine chapters though.

If Platinum becomes the shortest arc, I'd think it would have some link with HGSS due to Arceus. Both regions are involved with the myths surrounding it.
    I dunno, HGSS magazine-wise seemed pretty self-contained so I'm not quite sure about that. And Platinum so far is pretty much just a continuation of DP so I think it'll be more focused on completely finishing up the Sinnoh saga than trying to connect to HGSS. Then again we don't know what changes and additions will be made to either arc volume-wise though, so who knows.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad
    Really? While I knew that was a possibility I figured at least one of them (and figured it would be Bebe) would get more focus in Platinum.
    Iunno, I guess I'm just going off the past arcs.

Really? I don't think it seems that rushed. The only thing that seems rushed about Platinum to me is the Frontier battles, but that's because they aren't supposed to be the main focus of the arc anyway.
    Yeah, everything that has happened so far is already led to a "legendary battle." I guess it's part of the fact this is DP continued in order to resolve everything. The battles seemed normal pased in my opinion.

I was surprised by that as well. xD Although it makes perfect sense. And yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be found out this chapter either.
    I was expecting someone else to do it. Unless this is the Nurse Joy/Jenny of the Adventures series.

Actually he worked on the end of Diamond/Pearl and start of Platinum at the same time, until the magazines Platinum ran in got canceled and they stopped releasing DP via magzine. He did start working on magazine HGSS the very next month after the last DP and Platinum magazine chapters though.
    Ah, I figured at some point he would have to be working on all these chapters in order to meet the deadlines.

I dunno, HGSS magazine-wise seemed pretty self-contained so I'm not quite sure about that. And Platinum so far is pretty much just a continuation of DP so I think it'll be more focused on completely finishing up the Sinnoh saga than trying to connect to HGSS. Then again we don't know what changes and additions will be made to either arc volume-wise though, so who knows.
    Yeah, but Arceus is a Sinnoh legend but also connected with Sinjoh Ruins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    8? I thought volumes usually had 9-10 chapters each. And actually we'll probably get a bit more than that, since the arc most likely won't end next volume.
    I said eight at least. Considering that volume 39 has that number of rounds, and so does volume 37, it wouldn't be a surprise to have that number again.

That's because it got rushed, and they probably skipped a few chapters so they could get to the ending quicker. (it needed an ending magazine-wise so the magazines could solely focus on BW)
    It was rushed, but there weren't any gaping plotholes that indicated a skip. The content just seemed terribly condensed and significantly under-utilized, which would be hard to fix without some serious rewriting.

Aside from changes, I'm pretty sure some of the magazine chapters will get split into more than chapter and I think we'll get some new chapters as well.
    How many new rounds would that be? My gripe is that even with the additions the HGSS chapter is unlikely to have more than 14 rounds, which is what the Platinum chapter had just from the magazines. Also note that the FRLG and Emerald chapters were continued in the magazines several months into Generation IV.

Actually he doesn't. Kusaka was very excited for the games and he said he absolutely loved them upon playing them, so I'm sure he felt just as excited about doing another Johto-centric arc. (in fact, I think he may have even said that, but I'm not 100% sure.)
    That's nice, but his efforts on the arc didn't reflect this. Also, he clearly had doubts about Gold and Silver being remade, judging from the way he left little room for development with Silver and Giovanni after FRLG. More to the point, he explicitly stated in 2006 that he wanted Gold and Silver to be ported via the Wii's Virtual Console (despite the fact it didn't support handheld games), in which case he probably wouldn't have bothered with a new story.

What it was the magazines just forced him to go through it quickly magazine-wise so he could start BW and so they wouldn't have to publish anymore HGSS chapters.
    But why did he rush the ending? Why couldn't he have paced the arc properly and ended the magazine run on a cliffhanger, which is what he had done for Emerald and Platinum? How are readers supposed to look forward to the volumes when they already know what happens in the end?
    Last edited by Silktree; 1st August 2011 at 01:47 PM.

Blog Entries

I said eight at least. Considering that volume 39 has that number of rounds, and so does volume 37, it wouldn't be a surprise to have that number again.

It was rushed, but there weren't any gaping plotholes that indicated a skip. The content just seemed terribly condensed and significantly under-utilized, which would be hard to fix without some serious rewriting.

How many new rounds would that be? My gripe is that even with the additions the HGSS chapter is unlikely to have more than 14 rounds, which is what the Platinum chapter had just from the magazines. Also note that the FRLG and Emerald chapters were continued in the magazines several months into Generation IV.

That's nice, but his efforts on the arc didn't reflect this. Also, he clearly had doubts about Gold and Silver being remade, judging from the way he left little room for development with Silver and Giovanni after FRLG. More to the point, he explicitly stated in 2006 that he wanted Gold and Silver to be ported via the Wii's Virtual Console (despite the fact it didn't support handheld games), in which case he probably wouldn't have bothered with a new story.

But why did he rush the ending? Why couldn't he have paced the arc properly and ended the magazine run on a cliffhanger, which is what he had done for Emerald and Platinum? How are readers supposed to look forward to the volumes when they already know what happens in the end?
    But, from what I remember the magazines had two endings.

One magazine had Togebo evolving, Gold using Togebo to calm down Arceus with a Double-Edge, and Gold and Togebo flying back home...

The other had Carr being in jail, Silver being blinded, blah blah blah Sinnoh Trio being destroyed, Executives being defeated, Arceus getting the plates back...

I'm not really sure how those will fit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast