Pokémon Adventures volume 30 (DPPt 1) review thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pokémon Adventures volume 30 (DPPt 1) review thread

追放されたバカ
    Keepin' mah prized red Duskull caged up?! Ya bet your ass.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokémon Adventures volume 30 (DPPt 1) review thread

I'm not commenting on how long it'll take; it'll surely take forever based on the fact that this is trimonthly. Just that they can't exactly keep brandishing the "Diamond and Pearl Platinum" subtitle when we get to HGSS and beyond.

Also, Dia and Pearl never actually concluded "Ojosama" was Plat's name; Dia even made a joke about it in this volume, and Pearl goes into a rage.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I've had this since Thursday, but due to a certain pair of games being released the day after, I didn't have a chance to read it until now...I will be typing this as I read:

Okay...why are all butlers called Sebastian? Also, when I read Pearl's lines, I think of Barry (wonder why? xD) because like the anime, the manga captured the character from the games. Lady Berlitz is different though; despite her looking just like Dawn, she has a different air about her - which I love.

Isn't it odd how Lady Berlitz had to go meet her bodyguards in Jubliffe? I know it's a plot point, but wouldn't it have made much more sense for the bodyguards to go to her mansion, and start guarding her from the get-go? The Berlitz hotel musn't have good security if a hoard of Bidoof can storm in.

I'm surprised they pulled a pun with Ability and Disability, considering how PC things are lately (Especially as this is a Viz Kid's series), I guess they couldn't think of anything else to fit (I have to give Viz credit with the jokes; as corny as they can be at times, it must be hard). Dia and Pearl's routines kinda get annoying around the third chapter (and irritating from then on); and the repetition of something else tickling Chimler too. Although, I do like how whenever Dia or Pearl notice Lady Berlitz doing anything, she outright denies she was doing it.

Considering how these chapters were made before Platinum, I do find it amusing how Rotom goes into a stove, a fridge and a washing machine.

I noticed that in Adventure 9, the statue in Eterna City was a mix of Dialga and Palkia, rather than just being one.

I remember reading a comment earlier about how the battles aren't as good as they were in RBG, Y and GSC arcs. I have to agree - from what I've seen so far, they're pretty bland. At least I learned where coal comes from though.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

I like to believe that Kusaka gets some info early and adds them in as little hints

That, or that scene never happened in the original magazines and was added when the rounds were collected into volume 30 (which came out in '08)

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by GYM LEADER CHILI View Post
    Lax keeps his name (That explains why Red's was changed...why Chuang Yi didn't just use "Munch" is beyond me..)

They call Platinum "Lady" instead of "Missy" (Thank god. Missy was just stupid)
    I had forgotten about them changing Red's Snorlax's name, but it makes sense now. I like Lax though, so I'm glad Chuang Yi kept it that even if they shouldn't have. :P

I completely agree. Missy makes me think of when someone chews out a little girl ("Now go to your room Missy!"), which doesn't fit someone like Platinum at all. Lady works so much better; although I would have been fine with "Little Miss" or "Young Miss" too.

Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    Those puns are weird...specially the Cranidos and Combee ones.
    Aren't they though? They actually make the puns from the first 11 volumes of their release seem normal/good. And while I don't exactly get the Cranidos one, I think the Combee one was supposed to be a play off of "Hooray for Combee". But with "honey" instead since they're bees. Yeah, I'm sure it sounded better in their head, lol.

Because Viz is weird....
    Best answer I've ever seen for a Viz-related question. Truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    But yeah, the volume isn't released for another...two weeks?
    Apparently she pre-ordered it, and they ended up delivering it early. A couple of other people said they have had similar experiences when pre-ordering stuff, so maybe pre-ordering stuff isn't as pointless as I once thought...

Did that person ever know how much I want to be their friend?
    Probably. When everyone found out she got the volume early EVERYONE seemed to want to be her friend. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
    THANKS ARCEUS~!
    really, Missy was just bland and Dumb IMO
    Completely and utterly agree. (I get that it was pointless to respond to the same kind of comment twice, but I just really hated the alias 'Missy'.)

Although no matter how you translate it (Ojou-sama, Missy, Lady, etc)

Pearl and Dia were really idiots for believing it was her name
    That's true. I never thought about how it's still true even if you look at it from a broad sense before. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by JB2448 View Post
    Sorry. I just fixed the links. I'm such a derp !
    No you're not! Don't be so hard on yourself.

Did they attempt to explain what the creators meant by "Seventh Chapter"?

"A Conk on Cranidos' Cranium"...are TPCi translating this?
    As far as I know they didn't. They don't really need to though, if you read the other Pokemon Adventures volumes I think you'd be able to figure it out. (since the Red/Blue/Green arc was the "First Chapter", Yellow was the "Second Chapter", Gold/Silver/Crystal was the "Third Chapter", ect.) I'm just glad they left that in there, along with still calling it "The Diamond and Pearl chapter" in volume and adding "Diamond and Pearl" to the title.

That's a good question. But it's VizKids, so it's pretty much the same thing, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshi View Post
    Yeah, keeping Chuang Yi's generally terrible English in mind, the Viz puns are bound to be a lot more tasteful (and less obscure).

And though I likely won't ever accept the "Platinum" part, it's still made a tad more tolerable with "Diamond and Pearl" above it. Also, though this may be looking way into the distant future, come the HGSS and BW volumes, wouldn't those receive their own separate miniseries from then on? (Not to mention the ones after them...)
    While true, at least Chuang Yi stopped using them after a certain point though. Looks like with Viz we'll sadly be stuck with them for good. (on every last volume....)

And I agree. While I most likely won't ever accept the "Platinum" part either, at least they added "Diamond and Pearl" above it. And, at least they still refer to it as the "Seventh Chapter" and the "Diamond and Pearl Chapter" in the actual volume itself. I must say though, Viz's release of the "Diamond, Pearl and Platinum" arc is going to be one long arc. DP was already long enough at 9 volumes (effectively becoming the longest arc yet), so just imagine in Viz's release where another 3 or 4 volumes at least (thanks to Platinum) will be added on. And I wouldn't think so. You see, Viz won't finish up their release of DPPt until 2013, granted their release pattern for it stays the same. (and granted the Platinum arc will only be 3 or 4 volumes long) And by 2014 Viz will have officially caught up with the first 29 volumes (again, granted their release pattern for it stays the same), so from that point onward they won't have to release anything else as separate series. (but just add on to one of the already existing ones) The way I look at it, Viz will have three different options of what they can do here. They could either add the HGSS, BW and all future arcs onto the DPPt side (continuing from what volume number DPPt left off at), which would be option number one. Option number two would be for them to add HGSS, BW and all future arcs onto the other side with volumes 1-29 (continuing as volume 30-onward), which would actually make more sense since HGSS (and possible future reunion arcs) could be connected to the prior arcs that they relate to. And the third and final option would be for them to do what you said, which is to keep releasing them as their own separate miniseries from then onwards. Personally I think option 2 would make the most sense and cause the least amount of damage, but I could see them possibly doing option 1 as well. And there is a possibility they could do your idea (option 3), but I have a feeling that it's not as likely as the first two options. Viz has done stranger things before though, so we'll just have to wait and see. (I do hope they'll just do option 2, or maybe option 1 instead though)

Once HGSS comes out we'll probably be done with Emerald..or at least FRLG
    Based on my prediction pattern HGSS would probably come out around the time we are done with Emerald, or at least close to being done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshi View Post
    Just that they can't exactly keep brandishing the "Diamond and Pearl Platinum" subtitle when we get to HGSS and beyond.

Also, Dia and Pearl never actually concluded "Ojosama" was Plat's name; Dia even made a joke about it in this volume, and Pearl goes into a rage.
    Of course that can't, but that was never a problem in the first place. Regardless of which way they decide on releasing future arcs they'll continue to label them by their names the same as they are doing now on all of their Special releases.

So that was just a joke in Chuang Yi (and possibly VizKid's) version? Interesting.

Also, when I read Pearl's lines, I think of Barry (wonder why? xD) because like the anime, the manga captured the character from the games. Lady Berlitz is different though; despite her looking just like Dawn, she has a different air about her - which I love.
    Isn't it funny how almost every canon seems to have the same Pearl as from the games? xD He's like, one of the few characters that doesn't really seem to be different anywhere. And I agree about Lady Berlitz. She's totally different and I love her for it. (and in case you're curious, Ruby and Sapphire will be different than what you'll expect as well)

Isn't it odd how Lady Berlitz had to go meet her bodyguards in Jubliffe? I know it's a plot point, but wouldn't it have made much more sense for the bodyguards to go to her mansion, and start guarding her from the get-go? The Berlitz hotel musn't have good security if a hoard of Bidoof can storm in.
    Huh, I had never thought about that before. But my guess is Lady Berlitz was so hesitant over being guarded in the first place she must have convinced them to at least allow her to be able to walk to Jublife by herself. Or maybe her bodyguards couldn't make it to her mansion for some reason or something. That is a good point though. xD And maybe the Bidoof were just too strong for the security? Or maybe they were outnumbered. xD

Dia and Pearl's routines kinda get annoying around the third chapter (and irritating from then on); and the repetition of something else tickling Chimler too. Although, I do like how whenever Dia or Pearl notice Lady Berlitz doing anything, she outright denies she was doing it.
    Aww, I kind of like them. But I can see that too. The good news though is they will end up stopping eventually, so you won't have to worry about them for the whole arc. And the repetition of something tickling Chimler stops after this volume I believe. And I like that as well! xD But that stops as well before too long too. (basically any form of repetition will stop at some point in the arc)

Considering how these chapters were made before Platinum, I do find it amusing how Rotom goes into a stove, a fridge and a washing machine.
    I do too. xD Kusaka (the writer) is either a very lucky or very clever (or maybe a bit of both?) man! (I say that because that isn't the only thing he's predicted before, I've noticed numerous times that he did something before it happened in the games or did something only for it to end up making it easier for him to do something else later) *it's kind of hard to explain xD*

I noticed that in Adventure 9, the statue in Eterna City was a mix of Dialga and Palkia, rather than just being one.
    I'm glad you noticed that as well. It's interesting because that's the way it is in Platinum. And even if you don't go by that it still works since Dia and Pearl are both involved, so it couldn't have just been Dialga or Palkia since neither one stands out more than the other as a main character.

I remember reading a comment earlier about how the battles aren't as good as they were in RBG, Y and GSC arcs. I have to agree - from what I've seen so far, they're pretty bland.
    That's actually intentional -- since Dia, Pearl and Platinum aren't that good of trainers yet and are just beginning it makes sense that their battles won't be fantastic from the get-go. Don't worry though, before too long the battles get just as good as any other arc. And actually that comment was wrong, the battles in RS are just as good IMO. (even some from FRLG and Emerald were too if you think about it) Special has yet to have a bad arc for battles, at least for me.

I like to believe that Kusaka gets some info early and adds them in as little hints

That, or that scene never happened in the original magazines and was added when the rounds were collected into volume 30 (which came out in '08)
    That could be possible. I'm pretty sure he doesn't get the games early judging by one of his author notes, but they very well could give him some info early since his manga is one of the creator's favorites. (and a good source of promotion) But if he doesn't he must be one lucky and clever man to have predicted some of the things he has. xD

Huh, I hadn't thought of that. =o That could very well be possible as well.

OSHAWHAT?

Dunno if any of the pages scanned say this but the 9/28 date in, like, the first chapter (Japan's D/P release date) was changed to the US D/P release date 4/22.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Registered User The Violent Tomboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    Dunno if any of the pages scanned say this but the 9/28 date in, like, the first chapter (Japan's D/P release date) was changed to the US D/P release date 4/22.
    Really? That's interesting. I guess the translators caught on and wanted to be clever too...except that winter is coming up in the Sinnoh region. Yeah, apparently it snows in April/May in Sinnoh (not counting Snowpoint, of course, probably being all year round there).

OSHAWHAT?

They're in the Southern Hemisphere. ; )

I understand why they did what they did, but I was worried that the date thing wasn't going to be a one time thing.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12