"Pokémon Adventures" Volume 3 Review Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Pokémon Adventures" Volume 3 Review Thread

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default "Pokémon Adventures" Volume 3 Review Thread

So here we are (again)--the battle for Saffron City! Comes out on the 6th, so get to the bookstore!

Reborn Pokemon Fan. Metalwario64's Avatar

Default Re: "Pokémon Adventures" Volume 3 Review Thread

They censored the scene
    Not only is the censorship pointless, but its sloppily done and inconsistent. Great going Vizkids...

If they are now going to be censoring these re-releases, then I will no longer pick them up. Are the Singapore versions uncensored for the most part? If so, I will be importing the Singaporean releases in place of these to fill in the rest of the series if need be.

Censorship is one of those things I hate most in media, and it's almost like they're trying to turn Pokemon Adventures into the anime in terms of "kid-friendliness."

Volume 4 doesn't really have anything that needs to be censored from my memory, so I may pick that up because it's cheaper than importing the Singaporean versions.

The Radical Dreamer Mostly Harmless's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fuck, seriously?
    Well... Now I know that I can't buy that.
    Crap...
    I'm going to have to buy the original version, which is expensive.
    >_<

RPs as Gold and Brock from Pokemon Adventures

Claimed Gengar, Pichu Little (Pichu Brothers) and Ruby's Celebi

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwario64 View Post
    Are the Singapore versions uncensored for the most part?
    There's been a few tiny bits of censoring, but nothing major. This scene here is, of course, uncensored.
    So.

Aww, they out the best scene in Special. ;.;

I'll still buy it though.

Blog Entries

They censored the scene
    Not only is the censorship pointless, but its sloppily done and inconsistent. Great going Vizkids...
    Ugh, that sucks. :/ That scene's one of the best "wtf" moments in Pokémon.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

Blog Entries

Metalwario, can I ask HOW you know that if vol. 3 has yet to be released here?

The Sinnoh Battle Frontier is among them, and an old foe is back for revenge. With Rain's new companions, as well as some old friends by his side, can he win this challenge and stop Shinsei Muto before it's too late?
    Updated Tuesdays and Fridays
    Don't forget the other two. LoS is long, so be sure to have plenty of free time. =)
    Legends of Sinnoh|Shadow Apocalypse

Reborn Pokemon Fan. Metalwario64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jnoo View Post
    Metalwario, can I ask HOW you know that if vol. 3 has yet to be released here?
    There is a review on Amazon, and some people at Serebii stated so.

It's possible stores could put it out early, and Amazon already has it for standard order. You could also order from Rightstuf! where pre-orders arrive a few weeks early.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

how dare they! I loved that scene. Augh, stupid censor people. But they aren't going to tone down the previous page where Green suddenly grew bigger boobs? Seriously, now everyone who hasn't read the originals is going to be killing themselves trying to understand it.

Ah well.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

This is kind of like when they cut out that scene in Naruto when he and Sasuke "accidentally" kissed each other. Granted, they still implied what happened and said scene ended up uncut a few episodes later, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

They probably didn't want to risk any cancellation over something so suggestive. Besides, it's not like that one scene's the only reason the people buy the comics. Sure it's somewhat disappointing, but really now. Do you want this series to be cancelled AGAIN?!

They sure as hell aren't going to revive it a third time. And it's not like they're doing this solely to piss us off.

The Sinnoh Battle Frontier is among them, and an old foe is back for revenge. With Rain's new companions, as well as some old friends by his side, can he win this challenge and stop Shinsei Muto before it's too late?
    Updated Tuesdays and Fridays
    Don't forget the other two. LoS is long, so be sure to have plenty of free time. =)
    Legends of Sinnoh|Shadow Apocalypse

OSHAWHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwario64
    There is a review on Amazon, and some people at Serebii stated so.
    If one of those people you're talking about is me... yay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnoo View Post
    They probably didn't want to risk any cancellation over something so suggestive.
    Yeah, but I wish they were thorough about it and edited that panel on the last page as well. (Either that or leave 'em both unedited, IMO.) Because the panel in question on the previous page...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh!
    But they aren't going to tone down the previous page where Green suddenly grew bigger boobs? Seriously, now everyone who hasn't read the originals is going to be killing themselves trying to understand it.
    ... has no basis to it, and to me, makes the panel look worse than it could've been. It's just inconsistent. That's the main problem I have with the edit that was made. I don't care about it, though, like a lot of other people. (It's not like I could use it to get older people to read the series.)

Blog Entries

I just picked this one up today (along with the second volume). I've yet to read it, but it looks like a good one. The Barnes and Noble I went to had like 20 copies of it and they were all fresh and crisp. Don't you just love the smell of a new book!

How does this censored scene look, anyway? Anyone feel like scanning it?
    So.

Man, I got this and was all excited to be reading it, only to find it's been edited. That was one of the best scenes in the book! And it's been badly edited to boot. The dialogue changes to make it fit are cringe worthy, and it makes absolutely no sense. Boo on Viz for this. I'm not going to boycott, because I'll take what I can get, but I'm still highly disappointed.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
    The Tr47 | The Website | The Art | The Journal
    Resident fan of Gary, Gligar and Ash's imaginary beard.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

They censored the scene
    Hmm... does anyone know if the original VIZ printing was censored, too? I don't own it and I don't know anyone else who does (and the scene wasn't included in the "Best of Pokémon Adventures: Red" volume).

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    How does this censored scene look, anyway? Anyone feel like scanning it?
    I happen to own an original Japanese copy of Volume 3, as well as the VIZ reprint, so...

Top: Japanese
    Bottom: English

Overall: good volume story-wise, but we knew that. I sort of get why they edited out the Green Poké-boobs thing, but still. I was also disappointed that there were two(!) errors! Blue calls Lavender Town "Lavender City" and Red says "Pikachu... read?!" instead of "ready". Tsk tsk VIZ! :(

Although I do agree with Joey, I'm seriously not going to boycott because I find that kind of stupid and I'm just glad to get Pokémon Adventures printed in English again. (I never got to own the original English volumes... *sniff*)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast