Pokémon Adventures volume 11 review thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pokémon Adventures volume 11 review thread

War
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokémon Adventures volume 11 review thread

You do have a point there. We will just have to wait and see what they do.

Blog Entries

I wonder why this kind of stuff is in something like Pokemon. I know that Japan has way less strict censorship laws (back then) but exactly why is an all-ages series showing this stuff to begin with.

It's cool but it bothers me when it's for kids (Japanese or not). Why is this so?

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I wonder why this kind of stuff is in something like Pokemon. I know that Japan has way less strict censorship laws (back then) but exactly why is an all-ages series showing this stuff to begin with.

It's cool but it bothers me when it's for kids (Japanese or not). Why is this so?
    It's called "values dissonance," which means that the values you believe in at the place you live aren't the same in other places.

More specific, if you consider female breasts to be a topic not suitable for children (like Viz did with Blue's Pokeboob trick, which didn't even show her breasts), at least one person in Japan evidently didn't think it wasn't proper for children.

We can't change that. They have the right to have the values they wish. All the people around you can do to "protect the children" now is edit the manga to death so it doesn't bother you, or your parents, or your neighbors.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

I was just re-reading Volume 10, and there was a scene where Crystal removes her skirt, and Prof. Oak thought she was undressing and blushed as he covered his eyes shouting "young lady!" So obviously someone changing their clothes in front of another person isn't really that much of an issue.

Plus, i remember the Diamond/Pearl manga had the character Hareta very frequently ripping off his clothes in front of others, and viz didn't seem to haven any problem with that, either.

On a different note, since nobody else bothered to do it, i edited the page on the Team Rocket Trio, myself. However i don't know how to change that link box that appears at the bottom of each page, so for now that still says "Al" in it.

追放されたバカ
    Keepin' mah prized red Duskull caged up?! Ya bet your ass.
    Blog Entries

Doesn't Hareta have the build of a 8-year old kid? Not to mention he doesn't actually get so "undreshy" as to go anywhere near ripping his boxers off, or something. :/

Plus, a lot of countries (obviously, the States included) are a lot less tolerant of female nudity than the other way around. Or at least, that's Viz's logic.

And there's the difference that Crystal didn't actually undress, while Sabrina walked out of a tub naked (with loads of steam coverin' her ass, but whatever), and Sapphire actually does undress later on. And Viz's stabdards are weird with the edits, specifically how they can tolerate innocent bystanders getting their heads squeezed off, and yet the very mention of sexuality or just showing guns in general are all off limits.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morgil View Post
    I was just re-reading Volume 10, and there was a scene where Crystal removes her skirt, and Prof. Oak thought she was undressing and blushed as he covered his eyes shouting "young lady!" So obviously someone changing their clothes in front of another person isn't really that much of an issue.

Plus, i remember the Diamond/Pearl manga had the character Hareta very frequently ripping off his clothes in front of others, and viz didn't seem to haven any problem with that, either.

On a different note, since nobody else bothered to do it, i edited the page on the Team Rocket Trio, myself. However i don't know how to change that link box that appears at the bottom of each page, so for now that still says "Al" in it.
    Crystal was wearing shorts

So of course they didn't change it

And Hareta isn't a girl...besides, he never does any Goku level stripping...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshi View Post
    specifically how they can tolerate innocent bystanders getting their heads squeezed off,
    OK, i know it's been a while since i read the later volumes, but i don't ever remember that happening.

追放されたバカ
    Keepin' mah prized red Duskull caged up?! Ya bet your ass.
    Blog Entries

OK, i know it's been a while since i read the later volumes, but i don't ever remember that happening.
    Naw, that was in another series Viz translated and rated A despite keeping that and all other "violent" scenes intact.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Well, again I note I didn't actually suggest it was full frontal nudity or date rape, or anything like that, but since the nature of the scene, what with a teenage kid getting undressed and walking into a hot spring with an older girl inside (and the aforementioned stuff), is more than a tad suggestive than Red "allegedly" groping Misty or a simple slap... there may well be next to no hope of seeing it perfectly intact since this'd be the fifth time or something they've encountered something they want to edit (as even the word "suicidal" was apparently too heavy a description).
    That's true, you never did suggest that. But I never really said or thought that you did though. I was just saying that I don't think their logic will quite work in the way you're thinking it will. I could be wrong though, but we'll just have to wait and see. And actually, the nature of the scene really doesn't matter. If that was the case I think some scenes wouldn't have gotten edited then (like Crys' mother slapping her) while some others probably would have due to the 'nature of them'. While everything you listed are good examples (and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed the "suicidal" word edit), they are better examples for my theory. You see, I think Viz doesn't edit things based on 'the nature of the scene' but by the actual content of the scene. In other words, I don't think Viz will edit something unless it is specifically said or done. The perfect example are all the edits you pointed out, and a few others I'm going to include.
    -Misty's grope line. She specifically said a word that they thought was "too adult" for a kid series.
    -Blue's imfamous Pokeboobs. It showed an obvious sexual reference, which was why it was removed.
    -Jynx's recoloring. The original showed Jynx with black skin, which would be deemed racist as it was before. (then again, this edit may not count since they could have simply changed it just to match the game's changing it)
    -The "suicidal" line. Again, a word "not appropriate for kids" was actually said by one of the characters.
    -And the most recent edit, Crys' mother slapping her. It was something that was shown, and the reason it was taken out was (most likely) due to them being worried it might be viewed as child abuse with a mother hitting her daughter. If the 'nature of the scene' was taken into account, they would have left it alone since they would have realized it was just a 'snap-out-of-it' slap.

So yeah. I think that pretty much goes to prove my theory 'that only things actually done or said will be edited' to be correct. Which, if it is, then Viz might leave the Sabrina scene alone since no cleavage is shown and her backside is covered by the mist, and since nothing inappropriate is actually said by either of them. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Although, I'd still note neither Pokeboobs nor "Red's perversion" are any more "cens0r-worthy!11" than... Koga's Golbat sucking like half a liter of its owner's blood and spitting it back out. But I guess they just couldn't add two pounds of ninja blood bags or anything to that scene, haha.
    No, I don't think they could. XD Haha. Not to mention even if they did it would just make the scene look really weird, lol. xDDDD Anyways though, I completely agree with you. I don't think any one thing in the manga is more censorworthy than another, but obviously Viz doesn't see it that way. Viz is just an odd company in general though. I mean they never censor blood or violence in any of their mangas (not even in their VizKids line ones) but any sexual content, course language, drug, alcohol and tobacco use, and religious imagery and references is removed almost immediately. Even in their Teen mangas. But that's just Viz's standards (and weirdness) for you.

True, but the Japanese covers for DP are all a swirly background colored in whatever is the theme for the particular occasion, unlike the rest (sans FRLG, can't remember), where there's always a pattern or two alongside the colored sheen.
    That's true too. I hadn't thought of that. It almost makes me wonder if that may have been one of the reasons they kept it in tact as well. But I doubt it, I'm pretty sure it was just because they were treating it as a separate series; just like how I'm pretty sure volumes 1-29 will all have that digital block background on their covers. (as long as they're all part of the same release, that is)

Yeah, that'd be best. I'd still like it to be intact, but it's unlikely.
    It would be best, but I agree that it's unlikely. (sadly) Like I said though hopefully they'll at least keep the covers being dual-covered in tact. I won't mind it not being the Japanese cover as much as long as they at least do that for me. (and it better remain the same two colors they used on the Japanese volumes, too)

Yeah, with volume 1 it was Red hogging both the front and backcovers, but with the Yellow volumes the E4 are in turn hogging all the backcovers, so they couldn't strip one off Lorelei. xP
    Thank goodness! xP

Yeah, when you compare FMA just basically getting that one panel censored as opposed to, say, Naruto, a SJ manga, there's a pretty big difference right then and there.
    That's true! That kind of says it all right there.

It's the Viz signatures that luckily don't get too much of the FCC fist, though. Prob'ly since as the title suggests, they want to show off what they can actually pull off instead of being hampered by parental demand three ways to Sunday. I mean, compare what you see in Monster to other T+ series you see like rainfalls in a tropic, and you can notice a heavy discrepancy.
    That's good that at least one of their releases don't get the FFC fist as much though. If only more of the series were able to be as lucky. XD And probably. And that's true.

Could be because the Platinum arc will be out in volume form later this month (and before their volume 30 release), or it could not. Who knows, Viz is awfully fond of last-minute decisions anyway :D
    It might be, although if that is the case then I can't get over how stupid Viz is. xD I mean I get that they might not have known that the Platinum volumes were coming out, but I would think that based on the volumes they have done so far that they would have realized there is an arc for every game; and that after realizing once they got the DP volumes that they were only for the DP arc, that they would have put two and two together and realized that eventually a Platinum arc would be coming out as well. But, if that is the case then obviously they didn't. xD Like you said though that might not be the reason behind it, maybe they got a lot of complaints about it or figured out that it would be better for their first Sinnoh volumes to have DP in the title. Who really knows with Viz. Either way though I'm glad that it happened. And that's true. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty Cactus View Post
    yeah, like how the ESRB made the E10+.

i have to admit i'm (for once) disappointed with this edit, and i've been pretty forgiving so far (I honestly don't get why everyone had a temper tantrum over the Green's Pokéboobs thing), because this seems pretty unneccessary to me. reminds me of EP001 or that episode of Sailor Moon where it's obvious they've cut a slap out... though Crys's mom's arm is redrawn well, she still looks like she's been slapped haha. oh well. its not the end of the world i guess.
    Ooo, that's a good point. Viz should take a page from their book and make a rating inbetween A and Teen. Viz needs to realize that there is a small gap inbetween the All Ages and Teen ratings, and that believe it or not some series actually belong in that gap.

I'm glad you finally are disappointed with an edit and admitting it. Even if you are happy that Viz is re-releasing the series that still doesn't mean you shouldn't complain when they do something you don't like. You have the right to do so, and you shouldn't just let anything slide with them. And as for the Blue Pokeboob thing, people were upset because there shouldn't be censorship in the first place. Just like how you felt about the edit of the slap, we felt it was unnecessary too. But apparently you wanted it edited, or didn't care, which is why you are one of the few people who weren't upset about it. And I hadn't thought about that, but yeah it does remind me of that crazy Sailor Moon edit Dic made. Even though Viz did their edit a bit better than Dic's, you can definitely still tell she had been slapped, just like you could in that episode of Sailor Moon. (which can't help but make me wonder; if people can still tell what happened anyway then why censor it? XD) And that's true I guess, but that still doesn't mean we shouldn't be upset about it. A bad thing is a bad thing, regardless of the size, and we have a right to complain about it and even try to do something about it if someone wanted. Before doing anything too big though I'm just going to keep my eye on things for now, but I do hope this doesn't mean even more edits are in our future. (and there better be not be) There should be as little censorship as possible and only when "necessary" (I'm using that term loosely since this is Viz), not only for fans but that's something any good manga company should try to do in general. So Viz better keep that in mind while translating and editing future volumes.

They should've gotten Satoshi Yamamoto to redraw that scene or just kept it and edit it slightly so that it doesn't seem so painful.
    That really would have worked out so much better. xD They definitely should of done one of those two things instead (if they were to still censor the scene regardless, that is), or they should off at the very least tried to edit their edit a bit more so it's a bit less obvious. Like even just removing her Pokemon's flinching/wincing faces and her hand from the panel where she's rubbing her cheek after the slap would have made a big difference. (and if they could have redone her face too we almost wouldn't have known, but I understand if they wouldn't have quite been able to do that) I'm still fairly certain they could have also edited her Pokemon's faces and her cheek rubbing at the very least though.

Quote Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
    You know what I'll do?

Buy the VIZ Version and paste over the edited pages with printouts of the unedited ones.
    That could work I guess. And it's not exactly a bad idea. I don't think I would do anything as drastic though.

You know what I wish? I wish I could edit Viz's and/or Chuang Yi's release into my liking before I buy it, or could get one of the other releases I like and have a printed copy (in the format of a professional manga volume) instead. :P I know I could never do that though, and that it would never happen. (sadly) It would be nice though.

Is that from the Cheung Yi(sp?) version? I haven't read that version in a long time, and i deleted my scans after Viz revived the series here.
    To be honest I have no idea, so I'm sorry I'm not more of a help there. (the good news is it doesn't really matter though, since it seems Kenshi answered your question already) And close -- the correct spelling of it is "Chuang Yi". And really? Why? I know you probably didn't care to read it anymore since Viz revived the series here, but I would at least have kept all the volumes Viz hasn't gotten to yet on the computer for cases like this. And then all you'd have to do is delete a volume every time you got the new Viz version of it until they one day catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Sssh, this is the fandom, logic is wasted here.
    Lol xDDD That's not entirely true though, occasionally logic will do good here. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Negaishipping View Post
    I read this yesterday and had the unfortunate luck of having one of the pages cut anyone else seen it the page is the one right before chap 140
    Huh, that's odd. =o Is there like a piece of paper remaining where you can tell it was cut/ripped out or can you just tell since something seems off? But that's really weird. I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem either. But I'll see what happens when I get the volume, and if I have it I'll be sure to take a picture or scan the page for you. :3 Or if I don't get it soon, I'll at least check for you next time I go to the bookstore. ^^

Really? I heard it was just approved by Arakawa, not that she herself redrew those panels.
    Really? I heard she redrew those panels for them as well. Either way though I have heard of both scenarios before. (mangakas approving of edits and mangakas actually redrawing things for edits too) I've also heard of the opposite scenario before too, where a mangaka didn't know about any edits in their series or them not being happy with edits done to their work.

Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    I hope they don't change the R/S arc too much.
    I hope not either.

I think even the scene where Sapphire realizes Ruby took her measurements while she was KO'd is more than enough to merit the FCC fist. Never mind the scenes where she strips and puts on Ruby's new clothes.
    I do too actually! Not only did she pretty much flat out imply something, but with how she was blushing and with how strongly she reacted it just made what she was implying that much stronger and more clearer. Really, the only thing that could make that scene anymore "censor-worthy" (at least by Viz standards) is if it would have actually showed Ruby measuring different parts of her body in the little thought?/day dream bubble. Now, I admit there is a chance they might not edit it (and I hope they won't), but I could definitely see it happening and wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I'm must say though, I'm really glad to know that someone else thinks they might censor that scene. I know that sounds kind of weird but I remember attempting to discuss that and some other possible censors with someone and he just said I was being ridiculous and that none of what I was saying would happen. Now I'll admit that (most likely) not all of my guesses on what else they'll censor will be right, but I'm sure that at least one or two of them will probably happen. But it's nice to know that at least one of my ideas about what else might be censored is shared by at least one other person. xDDDD

Anyways, back to being a bit more on-topic with what you said in your reply. That's true too. I'm sure Viz will hate Sapphire's habit of constantly (and randomly) stripping, and I bet they won't know what to think or do about it either. XD I don't know if they'll censor her stripping scenes though. They might, but my guess is even if they do censor them they won't censor all of them. Mainly because most (if not all) of her stripping scenes aren't too bad for the most part, since there is usually stuff blocking the parts that would make it too risque. Even on the scene where she puts on Ruby's new clothes for her, even though it is kind of unexpected the panels we see are when she has most of the outfit already covering her. Then again though that's just going by my theory that they won't censor something unless it is explicitly said, shown or done, which may or may not be true. We'll have to wait and see how they handle the Sabrina in the hot springs scene to get a better idea on how they might handle things, but even then we'll still just have to wait and see. Hopefully they won't do anything though, or if they do hopefully it won't be too bad. Hopefully...

They will probably get rid of Sapphire's blush and change the translation.
    That's the most likely scenario. Although I'm not too sure on whether or not they'll edit out her blush (since they didn't edit Crys' flinching or her tears out when her mother slap her), I'm pretty sure that they'll change the translation at the very least. (if they do decide to edit the scene, that is)

At least the DP arc isn't really "WTFTHOSEPARENTSGO" in that sense, it probably doesn't have much room for editing. (Prob'ly)
    That's true. To be honest I'm not really expecting any edits for the DP arc, but if we do I'm sure they'll be minor and we'll get very few. That said though I really don't think we will, unless I'm forgetting something or Viz surprises me by censoring something I never thought they would. (like Crys' mother's slap)

That means the scene in the FR/LG arc where Giovanni and Silver are trapped in the fire will probably get changed too.
    I doubt it. Viz has never censored violence or blood before (at least not as far as I know), so I don't really see why they would start now. And that isn't even really that bad (at least not in the "bad enough that we have to censor it way") so I don't think they'll censor it. I'm not even really sure how they could go about censoring that scene anyway to be honest, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayi-chan View Post
    Why would it be changed? It has nothing sexual about it, which makes up for most, if not all, of the things that have gotten the censorhammer.

...but Blue's skirt might be edited to be longer in some scenes where it barely covers anything, not to mention the moment Sird/Saki (which name will she be given, I wonder?) gets half-stripped by the explosion.
    While I agree that I don't think it'll be changed, I disagree about the 'sexual' being the only edit Viz does and everything Viz has censored so far being a sexual thing. For one thing there are already plenty of edits that happened that weren't sexual, like taking out the word 'suicidal' and replacing it with 'irrational' in volume 7, editing Jynx from black to a lighter shaded color (most likely purple), and the most recent edit of changing Crys' mother's slap into a glare. (and those were just the things that came from the top of my head, there might even be some more I'm forgetting about) That proves right there that sexual scenes aren't the only ones they edit. And actually, as I said up above in this post, the kind of things Viz tends to edit are not only sexual things, but course language, drug, alcohol and tobacco use, and religious imagery, references and other 'sensitive' topics. (like editing Crys' mother's slap because it could be considered child abuse)

And I disagree. I don't think they would edit Blue's barely-covers-anything skirt since as I said above, they tend to only edit things that actually flat-out say or show something, not just suggest it. Not to mention there have been other instances of short skirts in this manga already, and so far I haven't heard of any of them being edited. (and remember, even as badly edited as the anime is at times some characters short skirts *like Dawn's*, were left completely in tact, so the manga *which is actually less-strict with it's edit by comparison* would actually be even less likely to censor it) And actually, Sird/Saki/Saque didn't get that badly stripped at all. Her clothes got torn a bit, but they still most definitely covered everything. Actually Blue or Marge/Courtney/Kagari would be more likely to have than outfits censored than Sird. XD I too wonder what name she'll be given in Viz's release though, especially since she has three different names already. My guess is probably something new and different like Viz did with the two Rocket Executives in GSC. Speaking of Sird, I'm also curious what new name Chuang Yi will give her once they finally translate volume 38? :3

Probably because Pokemon in Japan is different than Pokemon in the US. While this kind of stuff feels new and kind of shocking to us here in America, it's actually how Pokemon has always been in Japan really. I mean there has actually been plenty of questionable content in Pokemom in Japan over the years, like that old man who teaches you how to capture Pokemon on Red/Blue/Green/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen for example. On the American games, they just said he "not had had his coffee yet" (or something along those lines), but in the original Japanese games he was actually drunk, believe it or not. (they just edited it here into the coffee line) Another good example is this one character (who was a Safari Warden, I believe) from the Pokemon anime, who constantly threatened people with a gun. Another good example from the manga department would be the manga we know as 'The Electric Tale of Pikachu', which was filled with lots of sexually suggestive scenes and plenty of woman with very large breasts. You see, all three Pokemon medias here, the anime, the manga, and yes, even the games, have been edited and adapted here for people of all ages and to not be so shocking to us, which is why stuff like this seems more surprising to us than it actually is. And as to why, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Japan has less strict censorship laws there (and they still do in fact), which is why they get by with that stuff. And the reason it bothers you is exactly the reason Kayi-chan said: value dissonance.

To be honest it doesn't really bother me though. I find it cool as well, and I respect their culture and their decision to do that. (since it's their choice) The way I look at it is there are a lot more important and scarier/horrible things happening in other countries that I'm more worried about than Japanese people letting kids read/watch/play things a bit more far out than what American child usually read/watch/play. And to be honest, at least with Special and some of the other Pokemon manga, I don't mind because I actually don't really see anything too wrong with them in the first place. To be honest I've found some of the things in the anime and games at times to be more surprising for kids than the stuff in (most of) the mangas.

She didn't really do it though, so that doesn't really count. One thing that that (most likely) does tell us though is that character's reactions to people undressing will probably remain in tact at the very least, since every time any character is in a state of undress almost everyone reacts in pretty much the same way. (being shocked and embarrassed and asking what they're doing xD)

We'll get a better feel for this though once we see how they handle Sabrina leaving the bathtub naked. (but with steam covering her up) If they keep that in tact, they'll most likely keep most if not all of Sapphire's clothes changing in tact since she's always covered by something while changing as well.

That's because it didn't. Lol.

Naw, that was in another series Viz translated and rated A despite keeping that and all other "violent" scenes intact.
    Thought so, lol. And I know! Isn't it weird how Viz will keep every bit of violence (even in 'All Ages' manga) yet the slightest bit of sexuality, drugs or sensitive content (guns, religious symbols and references, ect.) will get censored almost immediately? It's odd because you think if they kept the violence (even extreme violence) that they would be more likely to be more tolerant on the other things, or that if all those other things are problems that violence would be too. Viz is just a very weird company in general.

Blog Entries
    Follow GoldeenTail On Twitter Add GoldeenTail on MySpace
    Follow GoldeenTail on Tumblr

God my Borders is slow, they only had up to 10. I'll probably get this volume later anyways :P.

WOW TRANSFORMERS IS A DUMB SERIES LOL. GT GROW THE FUCK UP.
    Tumblr / My eggs /My blog / deviantart

Blog Entries

Personally, ViZ should've edited Crys's mom to have her mouth open wide and added a spiky speech balloon to show that she's yelling loudly. Hence, why Crys flinches and her Pokemon winch.

Oh, man, I saw the edited picture on Bulbapedia and... I just laughed hysterically. The fact that Crys is flinching while her mother is "glaring" at her... wouldn't that imply that Crys's mother is so cruel and evil that her daughter's terrified of her to the point that she flinches from a glare?

...Yeah, I don't know what I'm thinking, but whatever. Viz Media's gonna have a freaking party with the RS arc.

Which reminds me, about age ratings... there was another publishing company that I can't remember at the time, but they had a rating system on the back with things like "Youth 7+" for younger kids and "Youth 10+" for the slightly more mature ones.
    Every Villain Is Lemons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loveon View Post
    Oh, man, I saw the edited picture on Bulbapedia and... I just laughed hysterically. The fact that Crys is flinching while her mother is "glaring" at her... wouldn't that imply that Crys's mother is so cruel and evil that her daughter's terrified of her to the point that she flinches from a glare?
    If you ask me, they should've edited the slap to Crys's mom yelling, "STOP CRYING!" Hence, why Crys flinches.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234